DM's Guild releases

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: DM's Guild releases

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Mischief wrote:I think it might be helpful to have a series of templates that look like small symbols on the bottom or top of the righthand infobox or a bottom infobox/template to denote the relevant canons the topic falls under - like how Magic Cards each have a Set Symbol. That same symbol template, by virtue of existing on the page, will also categorize the page by the canon in the underlying wiki architecture, allowing users to navigate by canon. I know basic wiki markup fairly well and am no stranger to making templates, so I'm pretty sure I could get that working if users think that is a good idea (and want to propose some symbols.)
The problem is that some pages span multiple levels of canon. Look at someone like http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Tavelia for example....

I attempted to make some marker templates, which you can see in:
http://fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Mis ... s_of_Canon
stuff like {{Canon}}, {{Canon-small}} etc.

If you can find a clearer way to mark them, by all means go ahead....
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

For canonical references, I dare say that some consideration must be made between novels etc that were indeed published by TSR/WotC and official setting material in case they diverge.
In some novels (or, well, published adventures) Strahd appears chaotic evil instead of lawful evil. And that's just one example. Another is that goblyns in some novel were blue. Or +2 repeating crossbows in the hands of a innkeeper in Evil Eye. Etc.

All in all, I think the "Questionably canon" should include things as "novels" and "adventures" and be called something else than "questionably canon".
For simplicity I would say netbook canon should be added to FoS canon and use the awesome FoS symbol of the ouroboros.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

alhoon wrote:For canonical references, I dare say that some consideration must be made between novels etc that were indeed published by TSR/WotC and official setting material in case they diverge.
In some novels (or, well, published adventures) Strahd appears chaotic evil instead of lawful evil. And that's just one example. Another is that goblyns in some novel were blue. Or +2 repeating crossbows in the hands of a innkeeper in Evil Eye. Etc.
The goal in highlighting levels of canon was to make it as objective as possible. Some of those are a matter of opinion. (Strahd was CE in the original I6, and I don't know why he changed to LE in the Black Box. Seems to me that being driven by lust and trying to steal your brother's bride is pretty unlawful. I also like it as a contrast to Azalin's VERY LE nature to drive their mutual hatred). By all means point out any inconsistencies between otherwise "canon" items. That doesn't invalidate the canon-ness of the rest of that item.
All in all, I think the "Questionably canon" should include things as "novels" and "adventures" and be called something else than "questionably canon".
Actually, I think that's probably a very good use of Questionably Canon. Because unless there's a preponderence of evidence one way or the other, how do we know which canon is "more canon"? Is I6 more canon than the Black Box because it's the granddaddy of the setting? Or is the Black Box more canon because I6 was standalone and not in "The Setting" at all? Is House of Strahd more canon that I6 because it was published more recently? (He's LE there). Do we count up the instances of both versions and majority rules?

For simplicity I would say netbook canon should be added to FoS canon and use the awesome FoS symbol of the ouroboros.
But not all netbooks are ours. I wouldn't put the Kargatane's work in FoS canon. There's a case to made that their netbooks are "more canon" than ours because some of them eventually wrote for the canon books.

Anyway, to sum up...
1) it's all about clarity for those who are looking up stuff. not everyone "counts" everything, and we aim to give them the info to make that decision, not to decide what's canon and what isn't for them.
2) this discussion really should move to a separate thread if it continues... we've drifted far from DM's guild discussion (though still haven't really settled on what level of canon DM's guild releases should have :/ )
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Yaoi Huntress Earth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth »

This came just for Memorial Day, but Ravenloft: Prey of the Black Wolf looks interesting (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/314883 ... Black-Wolf).
I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com
Yaoi Huntress Earth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth »

Here's one if you want to fight multi-forms of Strahd: https://www.dmsguild.com/product/317340 ... ple-Threat
I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Who's Doomed: The Lords of Ravenloft

Have you played Curse of Strahd and want to face another powerful lord in the Demiplane of Dread? Are you a fan of the Ravenloft Campaign Setting and long to see the return of an old favourite? Do you just want a more powerful banshee, ghost pirate, lich, or even necromancer for your game?

If so, then this is the book for you!

Inside this product are 5th Edition stat blocks for the twenty-three darklords who rule the domains of the Core, along with the ten darklords who rule the seas and islands within and two important NPCs who rule their lands but aren't darklords.

Featured darklords include:
  • Azalin Rex, the once and current ruler of Darkon.
  • Lord Soth, the former darklord of Sithicus, and his replacement Inza.
  • The flesh golem Adam and his creator Victor Mordenheim.
  • Gabrielle Aderre and her treacherous son, Malocchio.
  • The misanthropic necromancer, Meredoth
  • And Strahd, who has been boosted in power level to be closer to his presentation in the campaign setting
Furthermore, a half-dozen darklords in this product have even been given Mythic traits and actions, as introduced in Mythic Odysseys of Theros! Surprise your players with a mythic Strahd and watch their blood drain.

While this product doesn't feature the lords of any clusters or Islands of Terror, if it sells well enough I'll update those as well and add them to this product at no additional cost!

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/321149 ... BDFAS_reV8
FiranDarcalus
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by FiranDarcalus »

This looks awesome!!

I already bought your Heroes of Mist book and thought it was fantastic. Loved the Dark Shadows idea.

Great work & can't wait to read this one!! I'm starting a new game in Barovia but wanted to distance my game from Curse of Strahd stuff, so a proper Strahd write up is most welcomed!
Jester of the FoS

Thanks!

Heroes of the Mists was a project of love that started here and a lot of forumites gave feedback on. (I often feel guilty I'm charging for it, since it was meant to be a free fan product.)

And I'm really proud of dark shadows and how they turned out. The excellent livestream game Tales from the Mists made use of them, which was a huge honour.

I started Who's Damned ages ago. Never finished it for many reasons. Wasn't sure it would sell and I was busy. With too much free time due to Covid-19 it seemed like the perfect time to finish it.
nothri
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by nothri »

Just saw this, bought it yesterday. Definitely the missing piece for running a 5e game. Strongly encourage you to continue!
I'm just a ghost in this house.
Nirnel
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Nirnel »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Thanks!

Heroes of the Mists was a project of love that started here and a lot of forumites gave feedback on. (I often feel guilty I'm charging for it, since it was meant to be a free fan product.)

And I'm really proud of dark shadows and how they turned out. The excellent livestream game Tales from the Mists made use of them, which was a huge honour.

I started Who's Damned ages ago. Never finished it for many reasons. Wasn't sure it would sell and I was busy. With too much free time due to Covid-19 it seemed like the perfect time to finish it.
Do you happen to have a character sheet compatible with Heroes of the Mists, or plan to make one? Either in PDF or for an online tool like Roll20.
Jester of the FoS

Jester of the FoS wrote:Who's Doomed: The Lords of Ravenloft

Have you played Curse of Strahd and want to face another powerful lord in the Demiplane of Dread? Are you a fan of the Ravenloft Campaign Setting and long to see the return of an old favourite? Do you just want a more powerful banshee, ghost pirate, lich, or even necromancer for your game?

If so, then this is the book for you!

Inside this product are 5th Edition stat blocks for the twenty-three darklords who rule the domains of the Core, along with the ten darklords who rule the seas and islands within and two important NPCs who rule their lands but aren't darklords.

Featured darklords include:
  • Azalin Rex, the once and current ruler of Darkon.
  • Lord Soth, the former darklord of Sithicus, and his replacement Inza.
  • The flesh golem Adam and his creator Victor Mordenheim.
  • Gabrielle Aderre and her treacherous son, Malocchio.
  • The misanthropic necromancer, Meredoth
  • And Strahd, who has been boosted in power level to be closer to his presentation in the campaign setting
Furthermore, a half-dozen darklords in this product have even been given Mythic traits and actions, as introduced in Mythic Odysseys of Theros! Surprise your players with a mythic Strahd and watch their blood drain.

While this product doesn't feature the lords of any clusters or Islands of Terror, if it sells well enough I'll update those as well and add them to this product at no additional cost!

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/321149 ... BDFAS_reV8
Just posted the update of the product, which adds the lords of the Islands of Terror (in addition to the existing update that added the lords of Clusters)
Morgane
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Morgane »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Just posted the update of the product, which adds the lords of the Islands of Terror (in addition to the existing update that added the lords of Clusters)
Hi,
I'm not sure I spot the difference between the November update and the version I bought in September. What was added in the latest update?
Jester of the FoS

Morgane wrote:
Jester of the FoS wrote:Just posted the update of the product, which adds the lords of the Islands of Terror (in addition to the existing update that added the lords of Clusters)
Hi,
I'm not sure I spot the difference between the November update and the version I bought in September. What was added in the latest update?
I've added another 30-odd pages at the end since I first released it, with darklords of the clusters and Islands of Terror added.
Specifically, the update earlier in the month added:
  • Bleysmith, Torrence
  • Chiang, Tsien
  • God-Brain
  • Karn, Jack
  • Maligno
  • Misroi, Anton
  • Petrovna, Yagno
  • Sceleris, Malus
  • Shinpi, Haki
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Jester of the FoS wrote:
Morgane wrote:
Hi,
I've added another 30-odd pages at the end since I first released it, with darklords of the clusters and Islands of Terror added.
Specifically, the update earlier in the month added:
  • Bleysmith, Torrence
  • Chiang, Tsien
  • God-Brain
  • Karn, Jack
  • Maligno
  • Misroi, Anton
  • Petrovna, Yagno
  • Sceleris, Malus
  • Shinpi, Haki
What version is this updated one? Latest in my library is the 88 page v1.3, though it says the file was updated 2020-11-08 11:49:52. As the new page count is listed as 104, I assume the update didn't make it through...
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Morgane
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Morgane »

Five wrote:
What version is this updated one? Latest in my library is the 88 page v1.3, though it says the file was updated 2020-11-08 11:49:52. As the new page count is listed as 104, I assume the update didn't make it through...
I'm in exactly the same situation.