Nightblood's Return (Was: Guess My Riddle)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Guess My Riddle (Was: Starting a New Game)

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:OK, the moons are crystal balls or gems or pearls of some kind?
Bing!
Moon-at-hand set in a ring (ring of spell storing?)
Bing again!
moon-at-heart on a necklace.

BING BING BING!
(dead man's sly disguise makes me think a lich's phylactery)
(Bonus rimshot!)
Arm would be a bracelet,

Looks like we have a winnah!
neck... a choker?
Brooch, actually.

Okay, so...what plotline involves these four pieces of jewelry, each with a single dark stone in a silver setting (dark moon in a silver sky) and the "night of blood" that results when they are brought together?
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Starting a New Game

Post by Resonant Curse »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Well, Nova Vaasa was said to have 5 moons in The Awakening. Dragonlance has 3, of which one is a "dark moon", and can be seen in Sithicus. But your numbers are throwing me. I can't recall any reference to 4 moons, or multiple dark moons, unless you're not meaning moons literally. The body parts remind me of Vecna, but of course, only his hand is really famous. His "heart" was actually his high priestess, and I don't think his arm and neck ever made it into the books. ;)

yeah... I got nothin.... hint, please?

If you count Sithicus' original 3 moons and the "new" regular moon after Spectre of the Black Rose you have four moons.

On the Vecna relics both hands are relics between the the infamous one and the lesser artifact from Die Vecna Die, and his neck was partially included in the skin of Vecna lesser artifact that covered part of the torso and sode of the neck if I remember correctly.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Starting a New Game

Post by Resonant Curse »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Well, Nova Vaasa was said to have 5 moons in The Awakening. Dragonlance has 3, of which one is a "dark moon", and can be seen in Sithicus. But your numbers are throwing me. I can't recall any reference to 4 moons, or multiple dark moons, unless you're not meaning moons literally. The body parts remind me of Vecna, but of course, only his hand is really famous. His "heart" was actually his high priestess, and I don't think his arm and neck ever made it into the books. ;)

yeah... I got nothin.... hint, please?

Also, Vecna's heart was also one of the lesser relics I believe in the same adventure.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:OK, the moons are crystal balls or gems or pearls of some kind?
Bing!
Moon-at-hand set in a ring (ring of spell storing?)
Bing again!
moon-at-heart on a necklace.

BING BING BING!
(dead man's sly disguise makes me think a lich's phylactery)
(Bonus rimshot!)
Arm would be a bracelet,

Looks like we have a winnah!
neck... a choker?
Brooch, actually.

Okay, so...what plotline involves these four pieces of jewelry, each with a single dark stone in a silver setting (dark moon in a silver sky) and the "night of blood" that results when they are brought together?
Shadow Rift? Regalia of Arak?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Shadow Rift? Regalia of Arak?
Nope, it's just these four items. And even though the part about the "dead man's disguise" was talking about something else, Ron was correct about the lich's phylactery.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

For the bracelet:

The moon-at-arm great knowledge gives
Collected lore of all that lives
To plumb the secrets of the dead
Its moonlight shine upon your bed
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote: Clever hand made wicked signs,
Traced words of power in arcane lines.
Hide spells within the moon-at-hand
Or place its own at your command.
The first two lines are in past tense, implying the hand made signs, traced lines in the past but no more. That the hand made signs and traced arcane lines suggest it to be the hand of a spellcaster. That the signs were wicked might suggest the spellcaster (or spellcaster's school) was evil.

The second couplet is in the present tense, and instructional in nature. A place to hide spells that has spells of it's own would usually be a spell book, but given the "dark moons in a silver sky" line previous to this I'm thinking maybe a ring of spell storing? A black pearl in a silver setting would fit the "moon-at-hand" description

EDIT: Should have carried on reading before posting, got too excited by the idea :D
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

ok possibilities for "night of blood"

just a lot of killing and general senselessness caused by bringing together the aforementioned items and reawakening an ancient evil (Castle Spulzeer/The Forgotten Terror?)

A total eclipse of the moon, causing the moon to turn to blood red and you know, the night to seem bloody (ala Night of the Walking Dead)

The Quevari Night of the Blood Moon, a bloody night in both of the previous senses as the Quevari turn from peaceful and welcoming rural types into highly skilled killers by the light of a red moon.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

thekristhomas wrote:The first two lines are in past tense, implying the hand made signs, traced lines in the past but no more. That the hand made signs and traced arcane lines suggest it to be the hand of a spellcaster. That the signs were wicked might suggest the spellcaster (or spellcaster's school) was evil.
All correct! This refers to the lich's power with magic, represented symbolically by the hand. And yes, it also refers to the fact that the lich is no longer around to do so...for now.
The second couplet is in the present tense, and instructional in nature. A place to hide spells that has spells of it's own would usually be a spell book, but given the "dark moons in a silver sky" line previous to this I'm thinking maybe a ring of spell storing? A black pearl in a silver setting would fit the "moon-at-hand" description
It's a black onyx stone rather than a pearl, but yes, you nailed this just as well as Ron did. The moon-at-hand is a ring of spell storing.
EDIT: Should have carried on reading before posting, got too excited by the idea :D
LOL NP, it was good to see your thought process, to see how my PC's might try to figure this out. I hope they are as critical thinking as you are.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:For the bracelet:

[The moon-at-arm great knowledge gives
So the ring of spell storing must have a spell that reveals some kind of information? Some kind of divination spell? A magic mouth? Something that might reveal the location of what is below?
Collected lore of all that lives
To plumb the secrets of the dead
Okay, so there's some collected information from the living on how to capture "the secrets of the dead". "All that lives" is vague, it could be everything that currently lives, or "all that lives" as in, "all that survives" some sort of catastrophe, so maybe living apprentices or somebody else that "survives" after the lich's demise.
Its moonlight shine upon your bed
Moonlight and bed makes me thing about night, sleep, and therefore dreams. Assuming "its" refers to the moon-at-hand (and therefore the ring), the ring may contain a spell that will lead to a repository of the collected lore of the living, which will then be needed to find the secrets of the dead. Presuming we'll need to access one of the secrets of the living to find the secrets of some dead person. As "collected lore" might be metaphorical, that could refer to memories (so the memory libraries Castle Avernus, but that is only the living in Darkon) or perhaps dreams (so the dream stream or the Nightmare Lands).

So if we take everything from above, the ring of spell-storing will either show how to get to the collected lore or provide a way, though it might require sleeping. The most probably repository of all the collected lore is in the Plane of Dreams (or the Nightmare Lands.)

The secrets of the dead... could that refer to the location of the phylactery? Or perhaps his spell book?

Maybe it will somehow access the dreams or memories of somebody whom knew the lich in life such that the lich's secrets might be revealed?
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Does it have something to do wth Azalin and the Drowning Dreams?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Lesser Evil wrote:So the ring of spell storing must have a spell that reveals some kind of information? Some kind of divination spell? A magic mouth? Something that might reveal the location of what is below?
Wait a sec, you are getting confused. The moon-at-hand is the ring of spell storing. This verse is about the moon-at-arm--the bracelet.
Okay, so there's some collected information from the living on how to capture "the secrets of the dead". "All that lives" is vague, it could be everything that currently lives, or "all that lives" as in, "all that survives" some sort of catastrophe, so maybe living apprentices or somebody else that "survives" after the lich's demise.
Not really. The first two lines are just about the bracelet's power to grant knowledge on any subject.
Moonlight and bed makes me thing about night, sleep, and therefore dreams.
This part is on the mark: sleeping while wearing the bracelet will give the wearer access to hidden knowledge, especially things that might only be known to dead people. Similar to the Dirgist's version of bardic lore.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Does it have something to do wth Azalin and the Drowning Dreams?
I was about to say no, but the actual answer is "sort of." While the riddle doesn't speak anything of it, there is actually a major player in the Drowning Dreams adventure that will be part of the campaign.

And in case that's not a big enough clue: this campaign will be taking place in Liffe.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Oh, that's a dead give away, Tavelia is seeking the power of Nightblood by bringing his four different selves back together. The bracelet refers to his knowledge, the others refer to his magical might, his force of will/personality, and one to generate his physical body.

Magic jar is fifth level, so perhaps that ring of spell storing stores his force of will or personality, such that he could magic jar some poor fool?
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Lesser Evil wrote:Oh, that's a dead give away, Tavelia is seeking the power of Nightblood by bringing his four different selves back together. The bracelet refers to his knowledge, the others refer to his magical might, his force of will/personality, and one to generate his physical body.
That's basically it. Really Tavelia isn't sure she wants Nightblood returned, but as the different players in her game fight over the pieces of the circlet, there are several winning endgames for her.

Sorry for the gigantic give-away, but I've not been able to ask a lot of my other questions and get feedback I want. It was time to kill the riddle and move on. :azalin:
Magic jar is fifth level, so perhaps that ring of spell storing stores his force of will or personality, such that he could magic jar some poor fool?
Well, the ring stores his spells, and the pendant his personality. But since IMC the ring will offer a selection of Nightblood's own spells if no others are put into it, Magic Jar might just show up. And what a surprise that would be. :diamabel: