Birthright 3 Chapter 6

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright 3 Chapter 6

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Filbert tilts his head a bit calculating the distance.

"Well, I cannot be certain but trust me I will try to get us there as soon as possible, I know how important this is. Can I see a map please? I need to find the fastest way for this province and the exact spot."

Turning to Termelan says:

"I guess so, travel that way is really fast. Now get ready, we need to hurry."

Caine sends his pallid servitor to retrieve a map...
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

CORMAC

The druid slaps Foerde on the shoulder and wishes him well, then moves out front to wait with the other militia-folk.

CRANSTEL

"You see, I've developed this cream," he says to a gentleman standing nearby, "It has some very interesting qualities to reverse aging, from early testing. I'm sure it can clear your wife's wrinkles up." He hands the nobleman a business card. "Look me up some time."

Seeing everyone joining up, he makes a hasty apology and excuses himself.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

AULD OAK

Rennault raises an eyebrow. "A newt?" He shakes his head. "Whatever the case, what's say we go cause this witch a little mischief together?"

He looks about the crowd for signs of allies, especially Roald or Cormac.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ELF HILL, SCOUTING REPORT

GUNNAR's men have scouted all around Elf Hill, even climbing the escarpment north of the mound to look at the stone circle from a better vantage. They have taken note of the unusual regularity of the mound, the arrangement of the stones, the trace of an old trail branching from the road, a small stream and pool, steps cut into the slope, and the pit sunk into the top of the hill near the hill.

Vollmar and Fredimer, the two dwarves who serve DOMENICA, tell the humans they are certain the whole mound has been cut, shaped, constructed for some special purpose in past times.
" Not sophisticated enough to be Dwarfwork" , Fredimer says. " But could be Elves, sure."

Gunnar's woodsmen generally agree: this mound looks built up, artificial.

Just before the cloud of blackness (which now obscures the top of the mound) appeared, Gunnar's watchers spotted figures climbing up from that well-like pit on the mound top.
But the weird covering of darkness cut off the daylight and hid whatever activity was going on up there...
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE MARCH

ARRIVAL AT ELF HILL

LEADING bands of militiamen and adventurers, the heroes journey toward Elf Hill...

The weather remains windless and only slightly overcast until they reach the vicinity of the strange mound, about nine miles distant from the crossroads and the Auld Oak.
Near Elf Hill, the chill wind whips across the landscape in random bursts strong enough to send hats flying from heads.
A growing cloud of blackness--it looks more like ink suspended in air than like smoke--covers the top of Elf Hill and sends tendrils curling downslope. The wind seems to have no effect on this weird phenomenon.

Gunnar's woodsmen and DOMENICA's hirelings greet their reinforcements with enthusiasm. Where less than a score of men had kept watch, now the Tuor forces number over fifty. Enough to fully surround Elf Hill. But the sentries' cheery greetings don't match the parlor of their faces, or the nervous glances they all throw toward the mound and the spreading cloud...

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Domenica tries to find Isolde. The priestess might be able to elaborate more on this cloud.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:Domenica tries to find Isolde. The priestess might be able to elaborate more on this cloud.

DOMENICA finds Isolde in the trench south of the mound, watching it while standing near the dwarves.

The priestess tells her,"That is almost certainly magical. More than one sort of magic could have created it, though. I don't recommend just walking up into it...but if someone is afraid of daylight, or does not want us to see what may be happening up there...we'd better investigate somehow."

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"I agree. Is there some way we can send someone. but so they might not be seen or heard? Apart from trying to sneak up there of course."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:"I agree. Is there some way we can send someone. but so they might not be seen or heard? Apart from trying to sneak up there of course."

"Sneaking up seems like the only way, unless you have some magical means of spying on the hilltop."
The priestess shrugs. " I can't help you with this part. If anyone is hurt-- then I will have work to do."

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:
steveflam wrote:"I agree. Is there some way we can send someone. but so they might not be seen or heard? Apart from trying to sneak up there of course."

"Sneaking up seems like the only way, unless you have some magical means of spying on the hilltop."
The priestess shrugs. " I can't help you with this part. If anyone is hurt-- then I will have work to do."

"Well, we can find out who is good at sneaking up and set them afoot. I , for one, am decent at it but maybe some of the men are better suited. I shall find out."

Turning, she looks for Bramm's niece, and heads for her. "Milady, a thought. We really need to get someone over there as sneaky as possible. To see what is going on.

Someone who could do it either magically or stealthily. We shouldn't wait too long, the men seem a bit restless and nervous."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

steveflam wrote:
ewancummins wrote:

"Well, we can find out who is good at sneaking up and set them afoot. I , for one, am decent at it but maybe some of the men are better suited. I shall find out."

Turning, she looks for Bramm's niece, and heads for her. "Milady, a thought. We really need to get someone over there as sneaky as possible. To see what is going on.

Someone who could do it either magically or stealthily. We shouldn't wait too long, the men seem a bit restless and nervous."
Erin Hunter nods.

" You're volunteering?"

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Domenica sighs, handing the writ to Erin. "You're a good judge of character, milady. I will return later."

She moves off, finding her people. "I'm off to scout and spy. Listen to what Lady Hunter has to say." She bows slightly and moves off in the direction of

the hill as quietly as possible. Speed is not of the essence but stealth and cunning is called for.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ELF HILL

DOMENICA creeps up the west slope of Elf Hill, keeping low.
She reaches the black cloud, examines it, and listens...

They emerge in silence, pale faces twisted in grimaces, dirty hands reaching for the spy. Six dead men.

She evades them, sliding down the hill, but even as she escapes her slow pursuers...

EVERYONE sees it. The cloud melts and peels away in strips. The top of Elf Hill writhes with maggots the size of sheep, wriggling out through the standing stones and rolling down all sides of the mound.

One rolls right past Domenica. She sees what distance spares the others; its
VIEW CONTENT:
face, like a human skull with rotten yellow eyes leering at her.

The men in watch positions crawl or stagger back at the sight of the ghastly swarm coming from the hill top.

THE ROAD

FILBERT, SAFANA, TERMELAN

The rush of transit leaves Filbert with afterimages of blurred, far off roads and byways swimming in his vision, like a map might appear to a drunkard.
His companions merely feel dizzy, and then regain their balance to find the roadway near Falcon's Roost has somehow changed into an unfamiliar dirt path in hill country.
Judging by the position of the afternoon sun, little time has passed.

The party searches the road and nearby hills for several minutes before Termelan spots a black cloud in the distance to the north, and some puffs of trail dust near it. The folds of the land hide the source of these aerial phenomena.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert closes his eyes for a moment and then opens them still trying to focus. Looking at his companions peprlexed faces he just says:

"We aren't in Endier any more, we are in Elf hill near the place we have seen at the map. Don't ask me how, but we did cover the distance is short time, it's faster and safer than shadow travel. Just don't mention it to others, people often don't understand how these abilities work and things might get messy."

Facing Safana continues:

"Neither to Caine if possible, I know you have to give him a report but please leave this detail out. He doesn't need to know how we got here. And if he insists just tell him that was a halfling ability which is also true. He knows that halflings can travel in shadowrealm."

Seeing the dust trails he continues:

"I think we should go that way, something is happening up there and I think this is where we need to be. Just better avoid the cloud."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

DOMENICA creeps up the west slope of Elf Hill, keeping low.
She reaches the black cloud, examines it, and listens...

They emerge in silence, pale faces twisted in grimaces, dirty hands reaching for the spy. Six dead men.

She evades them, sliding down the hill, but even as she escapes her slow pursuers...

EVERYONE sees it. The cloud melts and peels away in strips. The top of Elf Hill writhes with maggots the size of sheep, wriggling out through the standing stones and rolling down all sides of the mound.

One rolls right past Domenica. She sees what distance spares the others; its face,

VIEW CONTENT: Show

The men in watch positions crawl or stagger back at the sight of the ghastly swarm coming from the hill top.

Domenica turns around and without missing a beat, she runs like her ass is on fire, clearly afraid and unnerved by what she has seen.

She can't arrive fast enough and she doesn't stop until she is in front of Isolde, panting, trying to catch her breath. Anyone seeing her sees she is clearly afraid.