OOC: Death House (5e)

Online roleplaying at the Café
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Re: Anyone interested trying "Death House" (5e) as PbP?

Post by kintire »

Kimber is from a remote village deep in the kingdom's equivalent of the Black Forest. It is usually capable of looking after itself, but some months ago a strange monster moved into the area, which the village's usual defences proved unable to deal with. A band of paladins responded to their appeals for assistance and slew the beast. In gratitude, the village pledged some of their best and brightest youth to support the paladin's order as scouts and auxiliaries in the civil war (if Ken is agreeable I am assuming this is his order, although it is up to him whether he was actually present himself).

Kimber was one of those sent, and is in the war principally to pay her village's debt to the order. She is hazy on the details of exactly what the war is about, and is not especially committed to the royal cause as such. While fighting alongside one of the order's paladins she was captured in a recent skirmish and is one of the handful of captives in the refugee caravan.

While they may or may not know in character players may wish to be aware that she is a Druid.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Awesome. Works.
Ken? Is Kimber, the nice half-elf your scout? What does she know for the ... special friend of yours?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Yeah, that works for me!

As to my "special friend," no casual acquaintance will know anything about this. You'd have to know Vorj REALLY well for him to disclose anything.

Those who have met or worked with Vorj will likely consider him courageous, but morose and slightly puzzling.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Feel free to make introductory posts in the adventure thread about what your characters do or think and if you have any char pics (like Kintire) feel free to add them there.

There are more demihumans than just Kimber and the two gnomes BTW.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Guess we can use this thread as OOC.

How many years ago Vorj saved Van's life? It was before the rebelion right? So at least 3.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

See what I say about the rebels being cocky?
"He's an honorable man, he won't try to escape"

An honorable man should try to escape to keep fighting the enemies dear sister. It's a matter of... you know, honor.
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: OOC: Death House (5e)

Post by alhoon »

OK, the moment probably most of you knew it was coming, arrived.

If you can, post what your characters do up to the point the first of the attackers come out of the trees. Hide (stealth)? Prepare to fight? Cast spells? Calm people (persuasion)? Rally defenders (persuasion\intimidation)? Something else?
No need to play it by round, but assume you have 5-6 rounds before the fight begins. The attackers were 400'-500' away from the caravan.

Ken and Kintire: The wagon is wrecked by the cannonball. There's a nice big hole you can crawl through in the back and nobody pays attention to you now.
The poorly described sword is exactly the kind of sword Vorj would have if he wasn't a captive. Be it two-handed, broadsword, longsword, whatever. There is a club in the ruins of the wagon that guards would use on the prisoners if needed. There's also a staff if Kinitre prefers one for Kimber.
You didn't see WHO threw a knife for Kimber to set you all free.
There is one more prisoner (alive) with you named Jegren von Uorben. Not a paladin but a decent young man with blond hair of noble birth. He wears scale armor and is also tied.
My DMGuild work!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Unless Tarlyn decides to do otherwise, my dude is hiding and sneaking. Looking for traitors.

Stealth

[dice]0[/dice]

Investigation if it applies
[dice]1[/dice]

Perception or whatever it is called in this edition

[dice]2[/dice]

LOL

Bad rolls for actually finding traitors. ;) But sneaky!
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

An honorable man should try to escape to keep fighting the enemies dear sister. It's a matter of... you know, honor.
That depends. If you have formally surrendered then it is honourable to keep the terms of your surrender. POWs are people who would have been killed but were spared, so it is honourable to act as if killed for this war, ie do nothing, to be able to serve your nation in the next. Of course, in practice these things get muddied, and I have no idea how we were captured. Also, this is an issue for Vorj, as Kimber doesn't care!
In a tabletop game we had two assassins sneaking around a house for seventeen rounds trying to kill each other, both with superb stealth and mediocre perception. They never did find each other. :p
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:Unless Tarlyn decides to do otherwise, my dude is hiding and sneaking. Looking for traitors.

Stealth

[dice]219959:0[/dice]

Investigation if it applies
[dice]219959:1[/dice]

Perception or whatever it is called in this edition

[dice]219959:2[/dice]

LOL

Ahem steve ,,,,,, not tarlyn :P

I follow my bro. NO sheet here at work but I think Mage Armor is prepared on it?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Steve: It is. If you hide along with bro, roll stealth.

Ewan: A pity. Your char doesn't see who threw the knife to the captives (or even that they were passed a knife). I would dare say that with a natural 1 your character doesn't even notice the half elf (and perhaps the other two prisoners) escaping the wagon. But with a 26 total in stealth, most would need a natural 20 to spot you. Now add the fog and the confusion and it's near impossible. You CAN move at a slow pace under wagons etc.

Kintire: Honor aside (I was just making a point to my sis :( )*, am I correct to assume from your post that Kimber is running for the woods to escape from both sides as they tear on each other?
Can I see a stealth check if that's the case?

* I have not, nor will I decide the tenets of honor Vjor's sect goes by in terms of prisoners of war (aside of treating them humanely). He can do it by himself. :)
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

[dice]0[/dice]
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

You can't be too careful with honour and paladins!

I was not advancing my timeline beyond bailing from the wagon. I'm with Vjor, so he gets a say in what we are doing next. In fact, since I suspect very strongly he is senior to me its his decision! My advice is to bolt for the treeline, but I await his views before actually doing it!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

OK got it. So while Kimber thinks is a very good time to run for the hills (and said so), she will abide by the decision of the person she was told to assist.
My DMGuild work!
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

Vorj is OK with Kintire's course of action. :)

Rolling Stealth with disadvantage (because of the chain mail):
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham