CONFIRMED: Ravenloft for 5th Edition

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: CONFIRMED: Ravenloft for 5th Edition

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:I'm definitely hoping so! Also, I pre-ordered my screens yesterday. I really dislike their shipping options, or rather, the lack thereof. The shipping price is also rather high...
Here's the thing, though. I just did a little experiment. Whether I ordered just the Tarokka, or Tarokka+Screen, or Tarokka+Screen+Miniature, the shipping stayed the same price for me. That's great, as I can buy all 3 at once and save. The problem is, they keep announcing these things piecemeal. What if I order, and then they announce a 4th product of some sort? So I'm holding off for now, grumbling. With my luck, once it's clear that those are all the CoS-related products that GF9 is making, I'll go to order them and they'll be sold out. :(

ETA: well, I emailed them and got this response, which is more than I'd expected to get:
"So far we have announced all the Curse of Strahd items, but that is not to say there will not be more in the future."

:/ take that as you will.... I suppose I'll be making my order now and taking the chance.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Guardian of Twilight wrote:I'm definitely hoping so! Also, I pre-ordered my screens yesterday. I really dislike their shipping options, or rather, the lack thereof. The shipping price is also rather high...
Here's the thing, though. I just did a little experiment. Whether I ordered just the Tarokka, or Tarokka+Screen, or Tarokka+Screen+Miniature, the shipping stayed the same price for me. That's great, as I can buy all 3 at once and save. The problem is, they keep announcing these things piecemeal. What if I order, and then they announce a 4th product of some sort? So I'm holding off for now, grumbling. With my luck, once it's clear that those are all the CoS-related products that GF9 is making, I'll go to order them and they'll be sold out. :(

ETA: well, I emailed them and got this response, which is more than I'd expected to get:
"So far we have announced all the Curse of Strahd items, but that is not to say there will not be more in the future."

:/ take that as you will.... I suppose I'll be making my order now and taking the chance.
That is incredibly good news, thank you. I'm wanting to pick up a second deck of tarokka to have signed at GenCon this year. Perhaps if I'm able to get the funds together, I'll be able to get the Strahd miniature and the cards together.

I wish you the best with your purchase. Please keep us posted should you hear about future releases. I did hear about the future release of a special set of ttarokka, which is in the link below. Do you happen to know anything about this 'premium version' that they've mentioned?

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/3354 ... rokka-deck
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ahem...

The Fraternity of Shadows is proud to invite Chuck Lukacs, illustrator of the Curse of Strahd - Tarokka Deck into our Parlor. Mr. Lukacs graces our crystal ball in an exclusive interview!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Nice!
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Ahem...

The Fraternity of Shadows is proud to invite Chuck Lukacs, illustrator of the Curse of Strahd - Tarokka Deck into our Parlor. Mr. Lukacs graces our crystal ball in an exclusive interview!
Tell him his illustrations were awesome and that he should be proud of them.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Curse of Strahd has 4.6 stars in Amazon. That's a very satisfied base, even with the poor (in cases) printing quality.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Four more AL adventures are out: Beast, Excutioner, Marionette, and Seer. Also, an "Expansion" for The Beast called "The Mist and the Wood."
Dreamakuma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dreamakuma »

Has anyone gotten the Curse of Strahd DM screen?

Opinions? Thoughts?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Which adventure is Ken's?
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:Which adventure is Ken's?
#6 The Ghost
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dreamakuma wrote:Has anyone gotten the Curse of Strahd DM screen?

Opinions? Thoughts?

got it. Like it. It's different than I expected. I've never seen a landscape DM screen before. But I suppose it's not supposed to be fort knox, just prevent accidental glances. If the extra few inches of height are really an issue, maybe you need shorter players. :) I was pleased with the thickness, though. It seems really heavy-duty and durable. It's not flimsy oaktag-like cardboard. The outer pics are pretty and atmospheric. The inside is pretty much only useful if you're running CoS. It's not general-purpose.

Overall, I'm pleased.
thepoorman
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by thepoorman »

Yeah, I haven't picked it up because it's only really useful for Curse of Strahd. I use the normal 5E DM screen and use the old 2nd edition Ravenloft handouts of the various Darklord lairs and just use paperclips to hold them on to the screen. This way I get some extra height and my players can stare at the glory of the slightly-goofy AD&D art.

My players haven't noticed, but each lair I show is one they've either visited unknowingly (like the D'Honaire estate) or will be visiting soon (Schloss Mordenheim). There's also one of the pictures of good ol' blue-skinned Strahd looking all imperious and evil on his balcony, because how could I possibly not have him staring at the party during play?
Ken of Ghastria
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Ken of Ghastria »

alhoon wrote:Which adventure is Ken's?
#6 The Ghost
And it should be available on the DMs Guild in the next day or two. :D

I've seen the post-editing PDF. While there are a couple of unfortunate inconsistencies in the adventure now, the ending is a definite improvement on what I originally wrote, so I'll gladly accept that trade-off. :wink: As a longtime fan of the setting, I'm very pleased to be associated in any way with an official Ravenloft adventure.
"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
--W. Somerset Maugham
Dreamakuma
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dreamakuma »

got it. Like it. It's different than I expected. I've never seen a landscape DM screen before. But I suppose it's not supposed to be fort knox, just prevent accidental glances. If the extra few inches of height are really an issue, maybe you need shorter players. :) I was pleased with the thickness, though. It seems really heavy-duty and durable. It's not flimsy oaktag-like cardboard. The outer pics are pretty and atmospheric. The inside is pretty much only useful if you're running CoS. It's not general-purpose.

Overall, I'm pleased.
Is there just the encounter charts and maps on the inside? I'm planning on using my current DM Screen (A castle) and adding inserts. I do plan on buying it in the future when my FLGS gets it back in stock, but I probably will already be running the adventure by that point.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Got the screen.
I like landscape screens so much better than letter. The couple extra inches makes all the difference between sitting and being able to see the players and having to stand. It's also a good, sturdy cardboard. Really thick.

The outside is so-so. The inside has the nice maps of Castle Ravenloft and Barovia as well as map keys, and a random encounter chart. Which would be *super* handy for running CoS or I6, since managing the poster map or referencing the book is tricky. Having the map just these would be great.