Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Three

Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright: The Worm's Supper, Chapter Three

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:Gorgon's Crown - Crowley, Torthur and Clyde

"Awright. Thank yer. So where was I? Yeah, .... Da Bears.... I escaped wit Clyde ana few udder wilder bears into Lofton. Dis started tha Watches run after me. In the end of it all, me visit ter Lofton, More 'n' 50 Watchmen tried ter git me n failed. 50! Reegawn will ne'er live that down. I dunno whutever 'appened ter him, an if 'es still alive. But I kin bet yer one ting, 'E remembers me an tha trouble I caused 'im. ' E knows who Torthur is. Which is more 'n' I kin say fer our asshat Duke."

He pauses, scratching absently at the top of his missing leg.

"So tha bears went on into Lofton an me n CLyde made it ter tha cellar doors of tha brothel like I telled yer. I busted it open and we went in, me n Clyde. Clyde stayed in dat room while I went further inter tha basement. I finded wimmin who was pregnant an one had a baby! Anyways, I tried ter save tha baby an Clyde n I fled tha brothel with the Watch hot on our heels. We killed or knocked out many an we did git caught. Clyde n me getted seprated but I finded im later. The best part o dis wuz I gitted put in jail n tortured by a Toad,,,, HAW!HAW!HAW!... Is face still makes me laff. I e'en telled im but e hadded no funny bone n tortured me. I did escape that jail, an tha bestest part is dat I freed every prisoner an caused a riot in da streets o Lofton. Alla da time I hadded a baby an a dead watchman on me. In da end, the watchman got left in an alley I think an tha baby, Reegawn getted. Not afore I gitted me revenge on 'im. I blew up some black powdered stuff which made a big mess. Dat letted me gert free yet agin an find Clyde. I did an we escaped to tha river an luck be wit us, I finded a boat to row. We eventually made it back to home."

He grins. "Well, dat is when I telled off da Duke whem I gitted back safe." He goes into detail the whole encounter of he, the Duke at the Inn and the afterwards.

When done, he spits on the ground.

"So dats it. I hopes I done help yer n that lady Dels'nora. Thank her fer payin me n Clyde's way fer a bit. I wish I could help yer out there, but wit me peg leg I ain' no good fer travelin."

Crowley listens intently to Torthur's tale. If it werent for the fact that Torthur had one leg and couldn't really do much, Crowley could almost believe that Torthur could be behind a plot to kill
Devlin or ruin his wedding. Given what he has seen of the dwarf and heard him tell, he has serious doubts to this effect.

"Torthur. Thank you for your information. I will relay this information to my boss the lady Delsenora. I am really sorry about your leg and all you have endured since almost a year now.
Remember that the past is the past and the future is the future. I would try to move on as you have done.

Listen. I am going to go now. Stay well, friend dwarf and take care of Clyde and yourself. I will return to see you to report what is going on in this matter. As a sidenote, the patrons upstairs aren't quite adept at fighting. I kicked three of their asses without breaking a sweat. The rest chose to leave me alone."

He chuckles, grinning at the dwarf.

"Ye've got spirit I sees. Ye knows how ter use them weapons at yer hip? Whut is they? Sticks?"

Crowley shakes his head. "No. They are belaying pins. I use them to hurt, not kill. They are made of metal and hurt like fuck when one hits you. Just ask the three men upstairs."

He unsheathes one and hands it to Torthur.

The dwarf holds it in his hand, testing its balance and running a hand over the pin, feeling the weapon.

"It be a nice weapon, laddie. Ye've got two? Ah, ye fight two handed. Jest like I used ter, wit me axes. Mine axes are beaten up, yet Dwarven made. Yer pins are in nice human quality."

He tests the balance and weight of the pin again. This time he inspects the pin closely, eyeing it with a practiced eye.

"The workmanship is awright, but it aint no dwarf who maked this. In me earlier days, I worked a forge an made weapons fer me family back home. This pin is passable but
a dwarf could make ye a better one. Two, if yer be countin tha other one ye got sheathed. If ye like, I kin git yer two nicer made ones. Atli kin git ye them. I bin itchin ter do somethin asides
sit 'ere an tell stories an feel sorry fer meself. Tell 'im I will make em fer ya meself. Ok?"

Crowley nods. "Sure. Okay I am going to take off. I will let my boss know about the weapons. I really appreciate this, Torthur. Take it easy, man."

The man moves away from the wall, looks at Torthur even as the dwarf blows out the light source. Mungus climbs the stairs, satisfied with his morning. It was near lunch and he still had to go to the Three Penny Inn where this Crone was supposed to hang out or had people there working or he or her.

The Inn was still quite boisterous, but as he exited the cellar, noone bothered him. Nodding to the barkeep and waving to Wendy, he left Gorgon's Crown. Three Penny wasn't far, but first he had to see Atli for Torthur. Or did he? He would mention this to the boss and let her speak with this Atli that Torthur spoke of.

Making a steady pace, he heads for the Three Penny boss told him of.

Mungus Crowley crosses the cold, windswept streets and squares of central Haes, making good time to reach his destination. Traffic this morning remains light: firewood carts making deliveries, servants running errands, and watchmen patrolling in great cloaks. Notably absent: gentry, merchants, clerks.
Well, most clerks.
He does see a single priestess of Haelyn, instantly identifiable by her red robes, helping a shaking, dirty man into the back of a pony cart. Two other men sit in the cart, gibbering and twitching. As he strides past on the same side of the street, he hears the priestess singing to the man. Not a hymn, but a lullaby. It seems to work, though, the man settles down a little, still twitching but not with such force.

Not far ahead, Crowley spots the sign of the Three Penny, kitty corner across an intersection.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert and Dominica

"Goodmorning, nice to see you again."

As Gimp leaves Filbert takes a seat near the fireplace and narrates the last night facts.

"As you can see this gang I have infliltrated is well connected. I don't know if it has anything to do with the conspirancy we are investigationg but for sure it's something we need to take care of. Unfortunately the Watch is compromised and the only person I trust is Captain Rennault Ghonallison that is away and his second in command Sergeant Gilly. I think we should inform him that there is someone that hires gangs to cause riots and propaganda against Allamie. I don't like Alamies much but for sure they don't deserve this. This guy Milo, that followed and saw me before enter the Watch might suspect that I'm an infliltrator and not realy part of the gang so if you agree I would like to right a letter addressed to Sergeant Gilly and ask one of your more trusted people to get it to him. That way Milo will not see me going near the Watch again and at the same time Gilly will be informed about what really happened. As about the attack at the Warehouse do you think that it's related? Did Volmar manage to get anyone and question him?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Crowley at the Three Penny

Crowley approches the Inn, paying attention to the rooftops and closeby alleyways. Once at the door, he pushes through.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

VAN wrote:Filbert and Dominica

"Goodmorning, nice to see you again."

As Gimp leaves Filbert takes a seat near the fireplace and narrates the last night facts.

"As you can see this gang I have infliltrated is well connected. I don't know if it has anything to do with the conspirancy we are investigationg but for sure it's something we need to take care of. Unfortunately the Watch is compromised and the only person I trust is Captain Rennault Ghonallison that is away and his second in command Sergeant Gilly. I think we should inform him that there is someone that hires gangs to cause riots and propaganda against Allamie. I don't like Alamies much but for sure they don't deserve this. This guy Milo, that followed and saw me before enter the Watch might suspect that I'm an infliltrator and not realy part of the gang so if you agree I would like to right a letter addressed to Sergeant Gilly and ask one of your more trusted people to get it to him. That way Milo will not see me going near the Watch again and at the same time Gilly will be informed about what really happened. As about the attack at the Warehouse do you think that it's related? Did Volmar manage to get anyone and question him?"

Domenica listens to Filbert, silently agreeing to what Filbert has to say.

"Yes I can get that letter to the right person, once you have written it Filbert. I have our friend Crowley out and he should be at the Three Penny this morning just to listen around and
perhaps ask for information. It is beginning to look like whomever hired these rioters might even have it in for our Duke. As to any of those rioters here, Vollmar could not keep any alive as it
happened way too fast for him to try to be lenient. His job is not one of delicacy but bluntness and force. Might I suggest you head there. Maybe it might help him gather any information he can gather? What do you now about this Crone and her gang exactly? It could help us tom know. I know things you might not and you know things I might not. Together our pool of information
can only help us in our endeavor for the Duke's Wedding."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote: Crowley at the Three Penny

Crowley approches the Inn, paying attention to the rooftops and closeby alleyways. Once at the door, he pushes through.
He finds the place all but deserted this morning. The handful of guests cluster around the small fireplace, taking turns holding their hands over the coals. One skinny servant girl hustles through the kitchen door, bringing the guests a tray stacked with steaming mugs.
Crowley smells something sharp, bitter.
No one pays him much attention at first, but after the servant girl hands over the tray, she turns towards him.
" Room, drink, food?"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

ewancummins wrote:
tarlyn wrote: Crowley at the Three Penny

He finds the place all but deserted this morning. The handful of guests cluster around the small fireplace, taking turns holding their hands over the coals. One skinny servant girl hustles through the kitchen door, bringing the guests a tray stacked with steaming mugs.
Crowley smells something sharp, bitter.
No one pays him much attention at first, but after the servant girl hands over the tray, she turns towards him.
" Room, drink, food?"

Crowley smiles. "Food and a hot beverage to warm my cawkles."
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac wipes the blade of his hatchet off on a dead elf. "Well they'll be back onto us soon.We have to move. NOW."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert and Dominica

"Well, I don't really know much about the Crone, I went there to gather information and as I was talking to her I told her that I'm a skilled thief that looking for a job. So she got me in a back room where I let the rest of the gang. Their leader's name is Terem and he is a total pawn. He cannot think straight and doesn't think of the risks of his actions. Someone is telling him what to do and he orders the gang to do exactly that no matter what. I haev asked him who is this person but he told me that I might meet him only later I guess if I prove myself as loyal member and this is what I'm planning to do. There is a guy named Milo that doesn't like Terem and his decisions but he is the only one that goes against him and alone doesn't have many chances to change his mind. I don't trust Milo at all, but I think he is better than Terem. He left the inn when the riot begun and people got poisoned, but he followed me and I think he suspects something so I need to be very careful. The others in the gang are doing what Terem says. The problem is to that the Watch is at their side, they are getting a cut and let them doing whatever they want. I guess a high officer or something is behind this, but I do trust Captain Ghonallison and since he is trusting Sergeant Gilly so do I. I'm just hoping that he isn't the one behind all this...Maybe we could send a messanger at Captain Ghonallison as well, even if he is away on a mission, I think he needs to know what is going on. Now, about the letter I will write it yes and sign it as Lord Filbert, Gilly should remember me he has seen me some time with Captain Ghonallison and maybe my name will be familiar to him. I will inform him that there is a gang that causes riots, where they are hiding, the names I know and there is someone behind all this which I don't know the name. I will mention him that many of the Watch are actually taking money for non investigating and not do their job. Then is up to him. I think we need to stop this gang and if are others as soon as possible because the peace between Tuornen and Alamie will be at risk as the ducal wedding of course. We might need to go to the inn where the patrons got poisoned as well and see if someone remembers something, we need a lead to get the one behind this conspiracy. Can I also have pen and paper to write the letter please?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Cormac wipes the blade of his hatchet off on a dead elf. "Well they'll be back onto us soon.We have to move. NOW."

THE SEARCHERS

THE DARK ROAD

Following a group of the mine devils, the party enters a section of mine works that appears to be of older and more advanced construction than the sections through which they have passed. Even the sagging and splintered timbers here look more solid than the crude braces mine devils built. Parallel tracks of iron rails run along several of the tunnel floors. Following one branch of the tracks, the mine devils lead the party into a large chamber where a small masonry ruin stands beyond a pattern of rail tracks and mining carts. Beyond the ruins and tracks and carts, a large vertical vault rises up from a huge alcove.

The mine devils scurry towards the floor of the recessed vertical vault. They point upwards. Anyone joining them sees a huge slab of stone wedge a couple of hundred feet up, partially blocking the shaft. A wooden platform with railed sides dangles at a steep tilt, hanging from chains twisted around one corner of the slab.
The walls look pretty smooth at a distance, but up close tool marks and fissures in the stone appear. A nimble man might be able to climb up to the hanging platform, the slab, and perhaps up around the edges of the slab and into the upper shaft.

The party has a little time to explore the immediate area and nearby tunnels while figuring out how to escape...

Rhennault has some experience of mines, mills, and mechanical things from his boyhood in Tuornen's foremost logging and mining province. At least, he inspected a mine and a sawmill once or twice, with his father the Count. He deduces that the long handles attached to gears on the cart sides can be used to shove the carts along the tracks, walking alongside or even riding in the carts. The gears would need to be lubricated, though; rust has taken hold and seized up some of the mechanisms.

Cormac, looking for tracks and trail signs in the immediate area, finds some scratched up, half-effaced graffiti low on the wall of one of the tunnels leading out of this area. Looks familiar, like Dwarf runes. Maybe a name? He can't quite puzzle it out.

Roald, poking around the floor at the base of the vertical shaft, takes more notice of signs of a long ago battle; scraps of rusted metal armor and weapons, fragments of bones-- some of those as dense and black as hard coal. Dwarf bones.

The Bard finds oil, lanterns, and excavation tools in the ruined stone structure. The tools appear to be of excellent quality.

Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac scratches at his beard. "Well if dwarfs made this place, i feel a damn sight better abou' it not fallin' on top of our heads," he mutters.

He points at the mine-devil nearest him. "You there," he says in elven, "The dwarves still aroun'? Or did yer lot kill 'em off." He points at the runes to emphasize who he's talking about.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Cormac scratches at his beard. "Well if dwarfs made this place, i feel a damn sight better abou' it not fallin' on top of our heads," he mutters.

He points at the mine-devil nearest him. "You there," he says in elven, "The dwarves still aroun'? Or did yer lot kill 'em off." He points at the runes to emphasize who he's talking about.
The mine devil squirms. Something that looks like wet lime falls from between its scrawny legs.
''Not us! The big ones! BIG!"
Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

VAN wrote:Filbert and Dominica

"Well, I don't really know much about the Crone, I went there to gather information and as I was talking to her I told her that I'm a skilled thief that looking for a job. So she got me in a back room where I let the rest of the gang. Their leader's name is Terem and he is a total pawn. He cannot think straight and doesn't think of the risks of his actions. Someone is telling him what to do and he orders the gang to do exactly that no matter what. I haev asked him who is this person but he told me that I might meet him only later I guess if I prove myself as loyal member and this is what I'm planning to do. There is a guy named Milo that doesn't like Terem and his decisions but he is the only one that goes against him and alone doesn't have many chances to change his mind. I don't trust Milo at all, but I think he is better than Terem. He left the inn when the riot begun and people got poisoned, but he followed me and I think he suspects something so I need to be very careful. The others in the gang are doing what Terem says. The problem is to that the Watch is at their side, they are getting a cut and let them doing whatever they want. I guess a high officer or something is behind this, but I do trust Captain Ghonallison and since he is trusting Sergeant Gilly so do I. I'm just hoping that he isn't the one behind all this...Maybe we could send a messanger at Captain Ghonallison as well, even if he is away on a mission, I think he needs to know what is going on. Now, about the letter I will write it yes and sign it as Lord Filbert, Gilly should remember me he has seen me some time with Captain Ghonallison and maybe my name will be familiar to him. I will inform him that there is a gang that causes riots, where they are hiding, the names I know and there is someone behind all this which I don't know the name. I will mention him that many of the Watch are actually taking money for non investigating and not do their job. Then is up to him. I think we need to stop this gang and if are others as soon as possible because the peace between Tuornen and Alamie will be at risk as the ducal wedding of course. We might need to go to the inn where the patrons got poisoned as well and see if someone remembers something, we need a lead to get the one behind this conspiracy. Can I also have pen and paper to write the letter please?"

When Gimp returns with refreshments, she asks him to get Filbert paper, pen and an inkwell. He returns shortly and serves them both hot tea, leaving the tray of biscuits within their reach. He also has the items Filbert requires, handing them over to the halfling.

Moving away, he stands at attention near the fireplace, watchful eye on his mistress and Filbert.

"I think this gang needs to be stopped too, Filbert. There are better uses for a gang then rioting. A good one can make money for themselves and their boss. I will have one of my trusted employees take your message to the Watch HQ, fear not. As to this Inn where people were poisoned, I think it may be a good endeavor to go to this poisoned Inn and gather information, See what we may learn, I have some free time this afternoon if you're not busy."
Last edited by steveflam on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE SEARCHERS

ROALD, RHENNAULT, THE BARD of the SIELWODE

While Cormac stands nearby, conversing in pidgin Elvish with one of the mine- Devils, his companions may notice the rest of the other scaly little monsters emerging from the tunnel the party used to enter this space. With them the creatures drag the prisoner Roald had taken.

The bound and gagged elf jerks his head around with his eyes wide open as if looking for something in the shadowy corners of the vault or down the darkened tunnel mouths.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

SEARCHERS

Renn approaches the bard. "You've found oil? Good, we'll need that to get these carts running. Something tells me having a quick way to move through these tunnels would be a good idea."

When the mine-devils bring the prisoner in, Renn turns to look in the same direction as the elf. "What the hell's he staring at?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:SEARCHERS

Renn approaches the bard. "You've found oil? Good, we'll need that to get these carts running. Something tells me having a quick way to move through these tunnels would be a good idea."

When the mine-devils bring the prisoner in, Renn turns to look in the same direction as the elf. "What the hell's he staring at?"
Looking down the tunnel into which the elf prisoner stares Renn sees...
Nothing but rail tracks leading into the gloom.
If there is something down that way, he can't make it out.
Nor can his friends, not even the Bard, with her superior night vision.

And now the elf prisoner is looking the other way, towards the vertical shaft.

Nevil regards the carts with an eyebrow cocked." Funny sort of wagon, with no beast to pull it..."

Sevett and Gatt waste no time fetching oil from the ruin and oiling two of the carts.
A couple of mine-devils watch the men working, and a moment later, join them.