Is Mordenheim a darklord? AKA a Doctor Abroad...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Is Mordenheim a darklord? AKA a Doctor Abroad...

Post by Dark Angel »

Resonant Curse wrote:Maybe the cloning keeps failing as long as she is alive, same way that the clone spell will just make a lifeless/suspended body if the person is alive.
Good point and I would agree, but who else could sustain the machines besides the Dark Powers? A group of adventurers or mercs? Mordenheim's estate has a primitive power source that is likely running those machines. He could develop one (think the Living Brain), but he would not aid in others running off with his wife to who knows where to be used as a pawn.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Dark Angel wrote: That reminds me a lot of the Mr. Freeze situations from the various Batman incarnations where his wife is used as a means of controlling him. Usually never works out for the person trying to extort Freeze.

Indeed, having Mordenheim mad at you is probably only advisable for the more robust individual. :twisted:
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Dark Angel wrote:
Resonant Curse wrote:Maybe the cloning keeps failing as long as she is alive, same way that the clone spell will just make a lifeless/suspended body if the person is alive.
Good point and I would agree, but who else could sustain the machines besides the Dark Powers? A group of adventurers or mercs? Mordenheim's estate has a primitive power source that is likely running those machines. He could develop one (think the Living Brain), but he would not aid in others running off with his wife to who knows where to be used as a pawn.
Outside of Lamordia, magic could be employed to keep her alive, potentially restore her fully, the machines are only necessary because of Mordenheim's refusal to consider magic, coupled with the domains Smothering of Reason. Also IIRC Adam manages to keep her alive when he kidnaps her in Adam's Wrath, so maybe the machines aren't truly necessary?
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

If Elise were somehow removed from the picture to another domain and Mordenheim didn't go after her, I would think his curse would shift. Remember that the dark powers can fill clones with dark souls of their own creation if the original is still alive. Mordenheim would thus clone "Elise", but it wouldn't be the Elise he knew. She would always come "wrong".
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

The Lesser Evil wrote:If Elise were somehow removed from the picture to another domain and Mordenheim didn't go after her, I would think his curse would shift. Remember that the dark powers can fill clones with dark souls of their own creation if the original is still alive. Mordenheim would thus clone "Elise", but it wouldn't be the Elise he knew. She would always come "wrong".
I can't imagine Victor not going after her, unless prevented
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

In my campaigns, I've ruled that Mordenheim's own obsession keeps him in Lamordia. In one campaign there was a TOUD/GC like event where the DP's were removed, all borders fell, etc. One of the effects of that was that Elise was finally brought back, and Eva also returned via a strange quirk of fate. In that campaign, Elise ran away from Mordenheim with Eva, and Dr.M left Lamordia to hunt them down. He basically became a deranged stalker of his (ex)wife, using mad science to try and hunt them down and reunite his family.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:In my campaigns, I've ruled that Mordenheim's own obsession keeps him in Lamordia. In one campaign there was a TOUD/GC like event where the DP's were removed, all borders fell, etc. One of the effects of that was that Elise was finally brought back, and Eva also returned via a strange quirk of fate. In that campaign, Elise ran away from Mordenheim with Eva, and Dr.M left Lamordia to hunt them down. He basically became a deranged stalker of his (ex)wife, using mad science to try and hunt them down and reunite his family.
I like this idea :D could we see a possible way to bring Elise back without removing the DPs?

My first thought on the matter would be using a reality wrinkle, obviously that's not something Victor would try, but maybe Adam might?

Adam has made deals with hags and seawolves, so he doesn't seem as blind to the possibilities of magic as Victor is
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

For my games, I always make Adam and Mordenheim into co-darklords. They're got the Macbeth/Demona empathic link, they share their origins, and they're both damned. I've never really understood why they're not co-darklords canonically, since even the original text is ambivalent about whether Adam really deserves it or not in places.
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Here's my take on this one (also see Rotipher's addendum, two or three posts down):

http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... 063#p76063
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I would keep an eye out for this particular idea showing up in, oh, a certain publication in a few days :wink:

...and I totally forgot to credit you for it, Nathan. >_< I feel like rather a dip now. Think the FoS can still sneak a credit in?
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

NeoTiamat wrote:I would keep an eye out for this particular idea showing up in, oh, a certain publication in a few days :wink:

...and I totally forgot to credit you for it, Nathan. >_< I feel like rather a dip now. Think the FoS can still sneak a credit in?
Nah, Nathan's getting enough credit in this one already.... ;)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
hidajiremi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by hidajiremi »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Here's my take on this one (also see Rotipher's addendum, two or three posts down):

http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... 063#p76063
I've actually really liked your take on this for a long while, Nathan. Do you mind if I include it as part of my upcoming Savage Ravenloft project? With credit, of course.
"Children are innocent and love justice, while most adults are wicked and prefer mercy." G.K. Chesterton
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

hidajiremi wrote:I've actually really liked your take on this for a long while, Nathan. Do you mind if I include it as part of my upcoming Savage Ravenloft project? With credit, of course.
Please do!
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena: