Punisher in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Punisher in Ravenloft

Post by Jack the Reaper »

The idea of Batman in Ravenloft has been discussed several times in the past, but what about Frank Castle - the Punisher? He is darker, more violent and ruthless than Batman, always kills the criminals and often uses torture. What would be his Ravenloft version? Any interesting ideas about his background (probably an ex-knight or something similar), weapons, methods, abbillities and relations with the darklords and dark powers?
The Reaper's riddle:

"Im ata yachol likro et ze, ata yode'a et ha'emet."

If you can read it, you know the truth.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Punisher in Ravenloft

Post by alhoon »

Elena Faithold would fill the shoes IMO
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I don't think so. Elena acts out of religious zeal, the Punisher is motivated by revenge and hatred. Elena commands armies, Punisher is lone wolf. Elena is a believer, Punisher is an atheist. Elena deludes herself that she does good, Punisher is very self aware to his dark nature. They are very diffrerent types.
The Reaper's riddle:

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Frank Castle is an atheist? I thought he was Roman Catholic.
But I am more familiar with movie versions than the comic book original version, so I may have missed some stuff.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Yeah it was my understanding that he was Roman Catholic or at least that he comes from a Roman Catholic background. He might be disillusioned, conflicted, or lapse in his faith, but I don't recall hearing anything about Frank being an atheist. However, I doubt he has any illusions about serving God's will or that he'll avoid going to hell.

If I were to plop down a Punisher-like character in Ravenloft, I would make him hail from Borca (as there's plenty of corruption that he could take aim at) and therefore be from the Home Faith branch of Ezra. There's not a lot of internal politics/corruption in Mordent considering its sparse populations. And if he followed the teachings of the Nevuchar Springs branch he'd could probably work in a lot of the doctrine to justify his bloodthirsty approaches. Ravenloft-Punisher could be a veteran who defended against one of Vlad Drakov's invasions.
Jack the Reaper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

ewancummins wrote:Frank Castle is an atheist? I thought he was Roman Catholic.
But I am more familiar with movie versions than the comic book original version, so I may have missed some stuff.
Frank came from a Catholic background and even considered being a priest on his youth, but he lost his faith due to the horrors he witnessed. He expressed his lack of faith several times during the comics, and once said that "he would like to lie his hands on God".
The Reaper's riddle:

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Jack the Reaper wrote:
ewancummins wrote:Frank Castle is an atheist? I thought he was Roman Catholic.
Frank came from a Catholic background and even considered being a priest on his youth, but he lost his faith due to the horrors he witnessed. He expressed his lack of faith several times during the comics, and once said that "he would like to lie his hands on God".
Indeed

I'm influenced by the 1989 movie version. He's clearly not an atheist in that one, but he's deviated from usual Catholic practices.

We don't really do a whole lot of hanging out buck naked in sewers and murdering criminals.

So that version of the Punisher might be closer to what Alhoon was describing.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Grigg_Deadbreaker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Grigg_Deadbreaker »

Punisher isn't an atheist. He knows for a fact that Heaven and angels exist from that time he acted as an angelic enforcer. Yeah, that happened.

I'd see him as a LE Avenger, with a vengeful focus against organized criminals. I might set such a character in Dementlieu, Borca, or Nova Vaasa.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

He'd be a darklord, with his domain filled to the brim with genuine criminals, all of whom he feels the need to torture and kill, but every time he does another innocent in his domain becomes a violent criminal. He's caught in an endless loop where when he kills one criminal the act of killing them somehow causes another person to snap and become a criminal, over and over with the only release being confessing everything to a priest and stopping the revenge and just letting the next one go...
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

Could look at Rogue knoght prc from the Dragonlance Age of Mortals book. Change some of the fluff and maybe could work. Infiltrator from Kingdoms of Kalamar too.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

He could also be portrayed not as a darklord, but as a N or LN anti-hero.

Although if he keeps to his methods as depicted in most of the stuff (various media) I have seen, he's going to start racking up powers checks failures...

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Jack the Reaper wrote:The idea of Batman in Ravenloft has been discussed several times in the past, but what about Frank Castle - the Punisher? He is darker, more violent and ruthless than Batman, always kills the criminals and often uses torture. What would be his Ravenloft version? Any interesting ideas about his background (probably an ex-knight or something similar), weapons, methods, abbillities and relations with the darklords and dark powers?

What about a city watchman? That's fairly close to the Punisher being a city cop.

He could perhaps fit in Nova Vaasa.

Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

ewancummins wrote:
Jack the Reaper wrote:The idea of Batman in Ravenloft has been discussed several times in the past, but what about Frank Castle - the Punisher? He is darker, more violent and ruthless than Batman, always kills the criminals and often uses torture. What would be his Ravenloft version? Any interesting ideas about his background (probably an ex-knight or something similar), weapons, methods, abbillities and relations with the darklords and dark powers?

What about a city watchman? That's fairly close to the Punisher being a city cop.

I was thinking that, but you'd need to tweak the abilities tjemselves to include a domain instead of city or something unless his domain was literally just a single city. Awesome class though.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Resonant Curse wrote:
ewancummins wrote:

I was thinking that, but you'd need to tweak the abilities tjemselves to include a domain instead of city or something unless his domain was literally just a single city. Awesome class though.

I agree.

As I understand it, he does travel around in the comics.

So if he's a Nova Vaasan, maybe he's native to Arbora, but he moves about on his endless hunt.

In AD&D 2E, I'd consider writing him up a s a dual class fighter/thief. He's good with weapons, but he's also very sneaky and knows the tricks used by criminals.

IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

ewancummins wrote:

I agree.

As I understand it, he does travel around in the comics.

So if he's a Nova Vaasan, maybe he's native to Arbora, but he moves about on his endless hunt.

In AD&D 2E, I'd consider writing him up a s a dual class fighter/thief. He's good with weapons, but he's also very sneaky and knows the tricks used by criminals.
In pathfinder he's definitely a slayer.
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.