Online roleplaying at the Café
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Birthright 3: The Worm's Supper , Chapter 2

Post by alhoon »

Termelan, Safana.
Lofton

Termelan, in an understandably good mood helps Safana out of the boat, offering a hand. "Madame, may the protagonist of the play at the Duke's wedding help you step on dry land?" he says as he happily extends an arm.
"Since we're both foreigners here, would you like to go for a walk and sight-seeing up in the city proper or would you prefer to grab a bite at a local tavern? I'm not hungry myself and I am eager to see the city. What would it be?" he asks the mage and contently follow her lead.

During the walk, Termelan looks around the nice and the bad, not shying from asking locals on the street about monuments, statues, temples, palaces and other aesthetically built buildings.

He makes pleasant small-talk with Safana, listening to her and trying to not monopolize the discussion; he enjoys listening to her speak. When they listen or see something interesting, Termelan repeats to her anything of interest he learns about the city even if she was right beside him when an explanation was given. He makes an effort to "touch up" any descriptions without altering them significantly but adding details, absorbing every bored couple of sentence description and returning it as a more alluring, detailed version. Whenever he doesn't have enough information to build upon, Termelan expertly fills the gap with a question to tantalize the imagination in retelling the story.
A decrypt house whose owners died childless from a disease would merit a question to his audience (Safana and perhaps the bystander) of 'could perhaps the origins of their misfortune be traced to a dark curse?" Even during the non-glamorous climbing of the steps towards the walls of the city, Termelan would turn around and wonder "how many soldiers must have ran up these steps during the centuries to return to the embrace of their loved ones, and how many joyous reunions between wife and returning husband must have taken place here?"
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

THE GORGON'S CROWN

"Hmm, yes. I have had a very similar encounter with the Dook as you so quaintly put it," she says with a genuine smile. "He is much a coward as anyone I have ever met. But that isn't my reason for being here. I am just looking for information is all, Torthur. I also promised Atli I wouldn't get you into any trouble and I will respect his wishes to the letter. He did tell me you have a bear friend. In all honesty I have never met one before and it fascinates me to no end that you would have one as a friend. Would I be asking too much if I could meet him?"
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE SEARCHERS
RACE TO THE CAVE

Roald fires an arrow one of the elf trackers; hitting his mark but failing to drop the elf.
The elves, who had been looking down at the snow and following the trail left there, now look up and in the party’s direction. They point spears toward Roald and the others—it seems elves see well at night! They no longer need to follow tracks to find their prey.
Cormac’s prayer is answered when old roots thrust up through the snow, slowing down the elf trackers. But the shout and point towards the party, directing a much larger number of elves.
More and more elves turn aside from their search over the snowy pass and hurry towards the trackers. But they don’t bother to aid their trapped friends. No, they simply move around the obstacle Cormac has called up. They are headed straight for Roald and his friends!
And now the Bard, with her superior night vision, can see what looks like over a hundred elves.
The archers among the enemy are making ready for a mass volley!
The party races for the cave, but heavy snow slows them down.
Arrows rattle off the rocky floor and rim of the cave mouth, and sink into the snow with hissing sounds, but by some miracle the whole party makes it into the cave without being hit. Even the animals seem unhurt, although they kick and snort and bump around in a state of mounting panic.

The party has little time to examine the cave mouth. More arrows strike near their position. It’s almost pitch dark in here, but the Bard spots a tunnel in the rear that descends, twisting, into a region of total blackness…
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

tarlyn wrote:THE GORGON'S CROWN

"Hmm, yes. I have had a very similar encounter with the Dook as you so quaintly put it," she says with a genuine smile. "He is much a coward as anyone I have ever met. But that isn't my reason for being here. I am just looking for information is all, Torthur. I also promised Atli I wouldn't get you into any trouble and I will respect his wishes to the letter. He did tell me you have a bear friend. In all honesty I have never met one before and it fascinates me to no end that you would have one as a friend. Would I be asking too much if I could meet him?"
DOMENICA
CELLAR OF THE GROGON’S CROWN

Torthur turns towards the darkened back of the cellar and says,
"Clyde, git up. Come on now, sleepy-head."

A rumbling growl emanates from the blackness. Snuffling sounds follow, and then the pad of paws , nails clicking one stone.
The bear's eyes show first, gleaming like garnets. The snout pokes into the light, and then Domenica sees the whole animal as it ambles up to stand near the dwarf. Clyde looks almost black in the reddish coal light; what his coat would look like under sunlight, she doesn't know.
Gauging by his height at the shoulder, he must stand at least as tall as a man on his hind legs.

''He's what ye humans call a black bear. But they are not all black. We call his kind the dwarf-bear."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

alhoon wrote:Termelan, Safana.
Lofton

Termelan, in an understandably good mood helps Safana out of the boat, offering a hand. "Madame, may the protagonist of the play at the Duke's wedding help you step on dry land?" he says as he happily extends an arm.
"Since we're both foreigners here, would you like to go for a walk and sight-seeing up in the city proper or would you prefer to grab a bite at a local tavern? I'm not hungry myself and I am eager to see the city. What would it be?" he asks the mage and contently follow her lead.

During the walk, Termelan looks around the nice and the bad, not shying from asking locals on the street about monuments, statues, temples, palaces and other aesthetically built buildings.

He makes pleasant small-talk with Safana, listening to her and trying to not monopolize the discussion; he enjoys listening to her speak. When they listen or see something interesting, Termelan repeats to her anything of interest he learns about the city even if she was right beside him when an explanation was given. He makes an effort to "touch up" any descriptions without altering them significantly but adding details, absorbing every bored couple of sentence description and returning it as a more alluring, detailed version. Whenever he doesn't have enough information to build upon, Termelan expertly fills the gap with a question to tantalize the imagination in retelling the story.
A decrypt house whose owners died childless from a disease would merit a question to his audience (Safana and perhaps the bystander) of 'could perhaps the origins of their misfortune be traced to a dark curse?" Even during the non-glamorous climbing of the steps towards the walls of the city, Termelan would turn around and wonder "how many soldiers must have ran up these steps during the centuries to return to the embrace of their loved ones, and how many joyous reunions between wife and returning husband must have taken place here?"

STREETS OF LOFTON

Other people share the street with the two sight-seers; watchmen on patrol, housewives shopping, peddlers pushing hand carts, servants running errands, and so on. But while the city seems fairly busy at this hour, traffic (by foot, horse, and wagon) remains light enough that Temerlan and Safana can go at whatever pace suits them and get to pretty much any place not actually cordoned off and under guard.

Apart from the heavy gates and grim outer walls of Caer Alam (unofficial visitors are not admitted to the Duke's home)
and the ornately carved marble cathedral of Haelyn, most of the older stone structures look run down. Some stand in ruins, with sagging walls, broken shutters, and collapsed roofs. Most houses, though, resemble the common buildings of Haes; mostly half-timber with thatched roofs. Quite a few newer buildings incorporate pieces of old masonry and statuary recycled from the ruins.
Frozen offal clogs several channels of the open sewers, but cold breezes that whistle down the narrow lanes carry off the worst of the stink.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert/Perry

Filbert paces through the city with Milo and is like seeing it with different eyes this time. So many things he hasn't considered, so many things about security he has to tell Captain Rennault first chance. The halfling doesn't trust anyone else after what he heard from Milo. He tries to remember all the details and nods here and there pointing out he got the secret meaning. But the halfling doesn't forget his real mission, find out if there is any conspiracy going on, so when there is nobody around he asks Milo:

"The Ducal Wedding is approaching and is rather big event, personally I'm indifferent about politics but maybe will change the balance between Tuornen and Alamie, what do you think?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

VAN wrote:Filbert/Perry

Filbert paces through the city with Milo and is like seeing it with different eyes this time. So many things he hasn't considered, so many things about security he has to tell Captain Rennault first chance. The halfling doesn't trust anyone else after what he heard from Milo. He tries to remember all the details and nods here and there pointing out he got the secret meaning. But the halfling doesn't forget his real mission, find out if there is any conspiracy going on, so when there is nobody around he asks Milo:

"The Ducal Wedding is approaching and is rather big event, personally I'm indifferent about politics but maybe will change the balance between Tuornen and Alamie, what do you think?"

Milo says,
"It might do that, yes. It could bring a long peace, or maybe it will lead to more wars. Some people say that our duke is planning to attack Alamie as soon as his new wife has given him an heir. I don't know much abnout that stuff, though. I'm not exactly well-connected at court."
Milo shakes his ragged cloak, laughing.
"But I do know the duke of Alamie isn't married yet, and that a lot of people say he's insane. Of course, people said Riegon was crazy, too. I wonder about that...It could be that our duke and his advisers put out such stories to justify that they had the man murdered in prison."

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Termelan, Safana.

STREETS OF LOFTON

After Termelan and Safana have seen much of the city, not feeling particularly inspired by the sights, Termelan turns to Safana. "It's turning a bit chilly my dear. Would you like to head to a tavern to have a bite or get some warm tea to chase away the cold? Meet some people, trade some stories and see how the people this side of the river pass their time.
If you're up to it, we could go to a couple of inns and taverns to get a better sense of the place and the joys it offers."
After a small pause he also adds.
"And perhaps we'll find a place where we could actually share a dance if there's time." he says as he winks to Safana.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac will try to move deeper into the cave while retrieving a torch and lighting it.
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Cormac will try to move deeper into the cave while retrieving a torch and lighting it.
The tunnel in the rear of the cave looks fairly narrow. One man could pass through it without trouble, and a mule could probably do it, too.

But horses?

The horses aren't happy just now. They bump about, stamp, snort, and whinny.
(Cormac, and probably most of the others, too, would know that horses not trained to go underground will be very reluctant to do so. )

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:SEARCHERS

Renn grins, seeing Sevet. "Where's Gatt?"

Once it becomes clear that they are surrounded, Renn begins eyeing the cave mouth. "I don't mind killing, but I've got a thing or two against getting stabbed myself. Let's make for the cave--and quick!"

After they get in the cave , and Cromac has lit a torch, Renn sees Gatt standing near Sevett. Both men press their bodies into the hollows of the cave-mouth wall. An arrows skids across the stone floor between Renn and his men (fire from outside the cave).
Gatt says, "Captain-- what's the plan?"

Behind Renn, a horse fights a mule for space, bumping and making a lot of noise.
Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac looks at the Captain and gestures to the horses. "I say we unload 'em, and then run 'em out the front of the cave while we go further in. They're no good to us if we're dead."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Cormac looks at the Captain and gestures to the horses. "I say we unload 'em, and then run 'em out the front of the cave while we go further in. They're no good to us if we're dead."
Sir Boarhort says,
" I'd say mount up and race out of this cave, risking the arrows.But with the thick snow, I don't know these beasts can outrun the fairies."

kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana wanders the town with Termalane, paying rather more attention to the bard's tales than to the sights of the city, which seem to leave her a little cold.

She does show interest in certain parts of the city though, viewing some areas with interest, and an unassuming-looking wall with some apparent amusement, though there seems nothing to distinguish them from any other parts of the decaying city.

She listens to Termalane's suggestions with some amusement.

"Well, I don't know about that, good sir. Warm tea? Are you sure that isn't a little daring? I don't know if I can go as far as warm tea in a strange town like this..."

She gives him an impish grin, eyes sparkling with amusement.

"Lets see if any of these places offer a few drinks slightly less wild and outre than warm tea. Like, you know, ale, spirits, wine, cider... the safe stuff!"

Her grin continues as she heads for the nearest tavern

"Although I can certainly get behind the dancing idea!"
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

DOMENICA
CELLAR OF THE GROGON’S CROWN

Domenica smiles at the big ursine. "Good morning Clyde," she bows to the animal "I am Domenica and this is Gimp. Very nice to meet you."

Looking at Torthur "Is there a food he prefers? A treat, maybe? Is it ok if I move closer so he can get my scent?"