Reviews of Pathfinder Modules

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Reviews of Pathfinder Modules

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:as well as a new Great Old One, Tsathoggua. (Fine, but do we need more Great Old Ones?)
Just to be clear, when you say "new," do you just mean to the Pathfinder version of the Lovecraftian Mythos? Tsathoggua was an invention of Clark Ashton Smith.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Wolfglide wrote:
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:as well as a new Great Old One, Tsathoggua. (Fine, but do we need more Great Old Ones?)
Just to be clear, when you say "new," do you just mean to the Pathfinder version of the Lovecraftian Mythos? Tsathoggua was an invention of Clark Ashton Smith.
Ah, OK, I hadn't realized that. Thought it was a PF invention.
Criticism rescinded.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gautsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gautsu »

Depending on how broadly you define "horror" (I wouldn't classify either as gothic), I think both "The Skinsaw Murders" and "The Hook Mountain Massacre" from Rise of the Runelords are definitely horrific (as in theme not quality). Neither are gothic though
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Oof, I remember those!

After we finished the Ogrekin section of the "Hook Mountain massacre", the whole party agreed with my Half-Orc Evoker to burn the damn place down to ashes so the dead wouldn't walk.
Wolfglide of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Wolfglide of the Fraternity »

Having played a lot of Call of Cthulhu, I know first hand that torching the place is a common tactic. I think a lot of haunting/infestation scenarios need to be written with that in mind, either to discourage it, or at least keep it from happening too soon.

In the back of the 6th edition core rulebook, there is one scenario which specifically says that the monster will relocate closer to the town if the barn is burned down. In addition, the barn is the only place warded against the creature, so good luck banishing it when it can get to you directly.

Another scenario involving a haunted house doesn't mention burning specifically, probably because it can be assumed to be an infeasible option. The house is in the middle of Boston, and the investigators were hired by the landlord to see if it is really haunted. Arson would have strong and nearly unavoidable legal consequences.
Gautsu
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Gautsu »

That particular spot Rock was talking about was less Lovecraft, more the Hills Have Eyes
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

In some ways, Lovecraftian horror would have been a bit easier to bear. At least if a Lovecraftian beast has too many heads or tentacles, that's normal. If it eats people, it's awful but you don't expect better from a para-natural horror.

The Graul family... To think they sank so low, became so foul, through inbreeding and just giving in to their worst side. That's just really hard to stomach.