The War in the Core

Discussing all things Ravenloft
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The War in the Core

Post by thekristhomas »

The Lesser Evil wrote:A little bit of a sidetrack probably from where you guys are going (I've long since lost where you guys currently are.) But recently I've been thinking about Harkon Lukas a lot, about how he wanted to be a conqueror himself back in Cormyr. I would think he would use build up of Invidia and Falkovnia's armies as an excuse to unite the people of Kartakass and build up the infrastructure. (Falkovnia once tried to take control of the roads and set up a check point in Kartakass, so the Kartakans are already enemies of the Fallkovnians. Invidia is also an enemy because of Kartakass' false history of Invidian invasions and their hatred for tyrants like Malocchio.

So, galvanized like never before, the kartakans may repair their battlements and hunker down, or maybe even go on the offense. And in the shadows, Grandfather Wolf may be gathering a hidden army of wolfweres in the shadows, like he did to get rid of the Falkovnians whom tried to set up the check point.
That's kinda where we were at with Lukas, he sides with Gabby against Malochio, then abandons her when she goes against Alfred Timothy, he does manage to take some territory but it is scattered villages so does little to make him feel like a conqueror

EDIT:
See page 9 of this thread
Last edited by thekristhomas on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Which plays into his curse of never ruling a "nation" that matters, and also into Azalin's observation that those rulers who attempt to deal with Lukas, Gabby in this case, doom themselves.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

As with the Vaasi invasion of Tepest, any invasion of Barovia by Vaasi cavalry would likely be confined to the road. This would result in a swift approach to Barovia village, but between the choking fog and Castle Ravenloft itself it's unlikely to get much further.

The suggested stockpiling of Vistani potion could only go so far, so I'm suggesting that the Vaasi would attempt to bypass the whole valley by heading north into the forested valley that leads to Lake Zarovich, cross the lake and take Vallaki. This seems to me to be quite the military task, but if Barovian forces are occupied in Borca, the Vaasi might have the time required to move infantry though.

I'm wondering, given the failure of the road building in Tepest, would the Vaasi simply move their infantry through the valley, or would their reliance on cavalry compel them to try a clear a path through (and maybe even construct some kind of pontoon on the lake)?
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

I think I suggested this earlier, but the big upset could be if Strahd were killed, either in the Borcan conflict or the Vaasi invasion.

I don't know what the canon is on how long it takes Strahd to reform, but I think the potential is there for the Vaasi to have made significant headway in Barovia and maybe even Borca.

It might be interesting if by the time Strahd returned the Vaasi were firmly ensconced within Castle Ravenloft itself, his vengeance would be terrible :azalin:
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I think if Strahd either bought it permanently or somehow reformed, you'd really need a new lynchpin to hold the Demiplane all together. Maybe Leo Dilisnya if you could find a way to make him as pivotal as Strahd was.
Resonant Curse
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Resonant Curse »

The Lesser Evil wrote:I think if Strahd either bought it permanently or somehow reformed, you'd really need a new lynchpin to hold the Demiplane all together. Maybe Leo Dilisnya if you could find a way to make him as pivotal as Strahd was.

He meant reform as in to reform from being killed, not realized the error of his ways.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Resonant Curse is correct, I'm sorry for any confusion
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Even if, Strahd reforming (as in taking a new leaf) could be an excellent plot device.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I think for the Vaasis to destroy Strahd and then get slaughtered after his resurrection, I'd think they'd need some kind of special weapon that could be lost. (For example, the Holy Icon of Ravenkind, since that's drawn him into hibernation before.)
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

The Lesser Evil wrote:I think for the Vaasis to destroy Strahd and then get slaughtered after his resurrection, I'd think they'd need some kind of special weapon that could be lost. (For example, the Holy Icon of Ravenkind, since that's drawn him into hibernation before.)
I'm thinking that Strahd might be attacked while he is "laying claim" to Borca, I would imagine that there would be a period where his DL powers didn't extend into that land fully, meaning that Strahd might be taken down more easily than would be usual. That being said, it would certainly make things easier if one of the special items were to be in the hands of his attackers.

The question then becomes, I suppose, who exactly would be attacking Strahd? He is leading a campaign of "liberation" in Borca against the Invidian/Falkovnian alliance, so I would assume it wouldn't be a Borcan party. The Invidian troops would have a good reason to attack, but have had no access to the hinterland of Barovia, which is where all the special items are located (If you're using CoS, if you're using older sources then they'd need access to the Castle itself). The Vaasi might have access to Barovia and the items but aren't really involved in the Borcan conflict.
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

thekristhomas wrote:The suggested stockpiling of Vistani potion could only go so far, so I'm suggesting that the Vaasi would attempt to bypass the whole valley by heading north into the forested valley that leads to Lake Zarovich, cross the lake and take Vallaki. This seems to me to be quite the military task, but if Barovian forces are occupied in Borca, the Vaasi might have the time required to move infantry though.
Been following the thread for a while, so I may as well chime in.

With the whole thing with Strahd and Borca, you have forgotten an old friend of Strahds.

Inajira.

The second that Inajira finds out that Strahd has run off to play the modern major general, he is going to be dancing for joy. Castle Ravenloft will resemble a frat dorm room once Inajira is finished with it, with the additional bonus that Ina has now run off with Strahd's Tatyana portrait collection and information of a certain Leo. With this he could make Strahd's life a absolute misery, far beyond anything he has experienced.

Eg: Knowing all about Tatyana he could create a simulacrum (or even just use a polymorph spell) to create a fake Tatyana and make Strahd dance to his whims. Or if he let Leo out and gave the fake Tatyana to him, Strahd would have an apolexy.

Another thing about Inajira is he (as a fiend) can 'override' the domain conditions just by standing there. If he approaches the Vassi in exchange for a 'few favours' he could just stand on the border picking his nose while the invasion force strolls in through the 'gap' in the poison fog. Or more likely use a 'wise old sage with a magical artefact capable of neutralizing the fog' approach - again for 'a few minor favours'.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

DustBunny wrote:
thekristhomas wrote:The suggested stockpiling of Vistani potion could only go so far, so I'm suggesting that the Vaasi would attempt to bypass the whole valley by heading north into the forested valley that leads to Lake Zarovich, cross the lake and take Vallaki. This seems to me to be quite the military task, but if Barovian forces are occupied in Borca, the Vaasi might have the time required to move infantry though.
Been following the thread for a while, so I may as well chime in.

With the whole thing with Strahd and Borca, you have forgotten an old friend of Strahds.

Inajira.

The second that Inajira finds out that Strahd has run off to play the modern major general, he is going to be dancing for joy. Castle Ravenloft will resemble a frat dorm room once Inajira is finished with it, with the additional bonus that Ina has now run off with Strahd's Tatyana portrait collection and information of a certain Leo. With this he could make Strahd's life a absolute misery, far beyond anything he has experienced.

Eg: Knowing all about Tatyana he could create a simulacrum (or even just use a polymorph spell) to create a fake Tatyana and make Strahd dance to his whims. Or if he let Leo out and gave the fake Tatyana to him, Strahd would have an apolexy.

Another thing about Inajira is he (as a fiend) can 'override' the domain conditions just by standing there. If he approaches the Vassi in exchange for a 'few favours' he could just stand on the border picking his nose while the invasion force strolls in through the 'gap' in the poison fog. Or more likely use a 'wise old sage with a magical artefact capable of neutralizing the fog' approach - again for 'a few minor favours'.
Hmmm...might Inajira be the one passing special items (like the Holy Symbol/Holy Icon/Sunsword) out of Barovia and into the hands of Strahd's attackers?
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

thekristhomas wrote:Hmmm...might Inajira be the one passing special items (like the Holy Symbol/Holy Icon/Sunsword) out of Barovia and into the hands of Strahd's attackers?
Could easily be, after all he has a bone or two to pick with Strahd.

Handing out toys to the vampires enemies nets him more deals, souls and favours owed, in addition to royally ticking Strahd off. Everything he could want really - well except for the book of Keeping.

And if he can lure Strahd away for an extended period of time from which he can't rapidly return (say a general in a war perhaps) then he can search Castle Ravenloft from top to bottom maybe even get his book back in addition to finding some interesting information - which he can exchange for even more favours.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back they had written, "Wish you were here."
DustBunny
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DustBunny »

Another random idle thought popping up...

When Strahd runs off to Borca, have the borders suddenly stabilize.

As when Strahd and Az left Mordent, the powers latched onto the next 'most evil thing'. aka Godfory. So when Strahd kills Ivan and Ivana, he is next in line and gets trapped in Borca temporarily. This allows the DPs to really twist the knife - not only has he lost the girl, he also lost his land. He can stare across the border at it, but not enter it. And to add insult to injury he is just another warlord with severly limited resources in a domain that hates him. As for what happens to Barovia, it to jumps to the next in line - Leo. Leo now has exactly what he wanted but is completely powerless as he is locked away in his box. Maybe he even gets to 'look' around his new domain while howling in powerlessness.

The DPs would love to have two miserable DLs for the price of one. :P

The situation could be temporary and eventually things return to normal, but in the aftermath you can be sure Strahd would _never_ step far from home again.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

DustBunny wrote:Another random idle thought popping up...

When Strahd runs off to Borca, have the borders suddenly stabilize.

As when Strahd and Az left Mordent, the powers latched onto the next 'most evil thing'. aka Godfory. So when Strahd kills Ivan and Ivana, he is next in line and gets trapped in Borca temporarily. This allows the DPs to really twist the knife - not only has he lost the girl, he also lost his land. He can stare across the border at it, but not enter it. And to add insult to injury he is just another warlord with severly limited resources in a domain that hates him. As for what happens to Barovia, it to jumps to the next in line - Leo. Leo now has exactly what he wanted but is completely powerless as he is locked away in his box. Maybe he even gets to 'look' around his new domain while howling in powerlessness.

The DPs would love to have two miserable DLs for the price of one. :P

The situation could be temporary and eventually things return to normal, but in the aftermath you can be sure Strahd would _never_ step far from home again.
I don't dislike this idea, but Strahd isn't in Borca when the last of the Dark Twins dies, he can't cross the border until Ivan dies and the domain goes into flux. Mechanically, what Strahd is doing is closer to what he did with Gundarak than straightup replacing Ivan and Ivana.

A potential usurpation of Barovia by Leo (possibly with the assistance of Lyssa von Zarovich) while Strahd is occupied in Borca, is an intriguing possibility. Assuming Strahd doesn't automatically lose DLship by stepping outside Barovia (as far as we know he didn't lose it when he was in Mordent or when he conquered Gundarak), what conditions do we think Leo would need to fulfill in order to wrest control of the land from him?