Discussing all things Ravenloft
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The War in the Core

Post by ewancummins »

jamesfirecat wrote:
Five wrote:
He has employed alchemists, who are currently (Gaz III) working on "bizarre war machines", and he has an arms deal with Lamordia that has been in existence for "decades".

So why not connect the dots?

I agree, it doesn't make sense. It's as if outside forces (DMs and game designers) are going out of their way to urinate on Drakov/Falkovnia's potential...such a waste, that.

This one has already been established, Drakov knows about firearms/has access to them. He just hates firearms/refuses to let his soldiers use them, because firearms represent/open the door to the citizen soldier who only can only do a few hours of training every weekend being just as effective a fighting force as the mercenary who has built his entire life around battle and being in war.

Drakov hates firearms, because they rob the "glory" from battle and take war in a direction he is not comfortable with/does not want to admit to.

It is a self imposed limit that he is imposing upon himself because he wants to try and prove people wrong by winning glory in battle, no matter how the odds may seem to be against him.
Right, and that is what I do not buy. It doesn't match the Black Box, where he cared about winning glory, yes, but had no code of chivalry. Victory was glory.

I'm going to drop the tangent, though, because there's no reason for two DMs to argue about how they interpret a fictional setting. If the 3E explanations work for you, by all means, don't let my ideas get in the way.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

ewancummins wrote:That may be so.

I think some of this shows how he was turned from a caged tiger in the Black Box to a whipping boy in later materials.

But suppose the Gold Claw Massacre played out as the official Dorvinian (now Borcan) story goes. Okay, so that means Drakov is well aware that Ivan poisoned his troops.
Solution: stab Ivan to death.
Remove the master poisoner who was so good at his work that he could poison an entire army detachment with apparent ease.

Why aren't the Falkovnians assassinating rulers, sponsoring rebels, etc? Drakov is pretty smart, ruthless, and not bound by any code of chivalry.
Ivan probably hasn't been stabbed to death for the same reason that Vlad himself hasn't been stabbed to death by some agent of any of the people he's pissed off, it is actually pretty hard to kill someone who has an entire domain's resources at their beck and call and surround themselves with a cadre of fanatically loyal followers, even if Ivan's followers are only loyal to him because if something happens to him they are all completely assured of an incredibly painful death due to the "Borrowed Time" mixture he's poisoned them with.

The sponsoring of rebels stuff probably has happened, just like Ivan probably sponsors rebels in Falkovnia.

The end of I Strhad (the first book) has a chapter or two that takes place in something approaching present day Ravenloft and talks about the Cold War like relation between various domains that all hate one another, and how the rulers play against one another like with Strhad making an assassination attempt against Vlad to score points with some group, and also having it be done using poisoned weapons to vast the blame in Ivan and Ivana's direction.
Last edited by jamesfirecat on Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Ah, yes!

Cold War works.

I liked I, Strahd.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

jamesfirecat wrote:
thekristhomas wrote: Actually I was thinking of constructing a timeline with associated campaign maps and maybe adding a few adventure maps/hooks, ala Wrath of the Immortals from the Mystara setting. That might be a bit of a grand ambition, but hey...

A few of the situations have struck me as things that PCs might get involved with, the "Bridge to Nowhere" in particular seems like a fun setup, several (possibly warring) tribes of goblins occupying different sections of a partially constructed bridge.

Thanks

I could do my pathetic best to try and come up with a rough adventure outline for some situations that taken in place in Richemulot.

By the way, do you think Jacques Renier should end up some getting marrying important/pretty/famous/combination of the above three Falkovnian woman as part of the process of cementing Greater Richemulot as a kinder gentler sort of nation/general realpolitik?
Sorry, which three Falkovnian women?
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

thekristhomas wrote:
Clearly I shouldn't post late at night given how confused my post is.

Let me clarify. I used "woman" not "women" and was trying to suggest some singular woman with a combination of the three general categories that I was talking about, not three particular women that I had in mind who Jacques would pick from/pick all of.

I guess the real question is, does Jacques marry someone who used to be part of the existing power structure (to the extent that any woman was a position of power in Falkovnia) to try and ease the transition of control into the Renier family's hands, or does he marry some "Cinderella" style figure as a way of showing how anyone can get ahead in Richemulot/power isn't pass purely along family lines... except for the Renier family, but hey anyone can be lucky enough to get to marry into it!
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

jamesfirecat wrote:
thekristhomas wrote:
Clearly I shouldn't post late at night given how confused my post is.

Let me clarify. I used "woman" not "women" and was trying to suggest some singular woman with a combination of the three general categories that I was talking about, not three particular women that I had in mind who Jacques would pick from/pick all of.

I guess the real question is, does Jacques marry someone who used to be part of the existing power structure (to the extent that any woman was a position of power in Falkovnia) to try and ease the transition of control into the Renier family's hands, or does he marry some "Cinderella" style figure as a way of showing how anyone can get ahead in Richemulot/power isn't pass purely along family lines... except for the Renier family, but hey anyone can be lucky enough to get to marry into it!
Right, get you. I think ideally Jackie would want Jacques to marry a prominent Drakov, as I think she would want to try and cement Jacques position as her successor, after all there is no tradition of primogeniture in Richemulot, he will need a power base of his own.

As far as prominent female Drakovs go I think we'd have to look to the unnamed grand-daughters of Drakov to find one of marriagable age. I can imagine Jackie interviewing prospective matches, the whole mother/son dynamic would be fun here, she thinks she wants strong woman, someone like her, an equal for her son, but in truth she wouldn't be able to stand someone like her, so she would either end up choosing a mouse (and if you've ever had a mouse and a rat in the same cage you'll know that the mouse ends up dead) or a Drakov girl who has learned enough to present an image of what Jackie wants, but is far closer to Jackie's imagined ideal.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

thekristhomas wrote: Right, get you. I think ideally Jackie would want Jacques to marry a prominent Drakov, as I think she would want to try and cement Jacques position as her successor, after all there is no tradition of primogeniture in Richemulot, he will need a power base of his own.

As far as prominent female Drakovs go I think we'd have to look to the unnamed grand-daughters of Drakov to find one of marriagable age. I can imagine Jackie interviewing prospective matches, the whole mother/son dynamic would be fun here, she thinks she wants strong woman, someone like her, an equal for her son, but in truth she wouldn't be able to stand someone like her, so she would either end up choosing a mouse (and if you've ever had a mouse and a rat in the same cage you'll know that the mouse ends up dead) or a Drakov girl who has learned enough to present an image of what Jackie wants, but is far closer to Jackie's imagined ideal.

I'd argue that technically there is a tradition of primogeniture (new word of the day for me since I had to go look up what it meant) in Richemulot, since they are after all a hereditary aristocracy according to Gaz 3. It is just that their power structure is much more fluid than it should be on paper, (I really wish the Gazetteers would describe in more detail how/why Jacqueline became head of the family/ruler of Richemulot after Claude's death given that her own mother/Claude's daughter was still alive at the time) since behind the scenes the real currency of power is knowledge (well knowledge and lycanthropy) rather than, well, currency.

The disadvantage of marrying a Drakov is that I'd argue the people of Falkovnia may want a clean break from that particular family after all the ways that they've been oppressed by them, unless they're so beaten down that they simply can't imagine being ruled by someone who doesn't have a certain amount of Darkov blood in them.

It could go either way so your approach/suggestion is as valid as any, sadly due to Vlad's policies I think there is exactly "BUPKISS" when it comes to cannon material on what Vlad's daughters/grand daughters are doing in Falkovnia and if there are any of marriageable age who aren't already wed to someone else... not that I imagine Jacqueline is above arranging an "accident' for an inconvenient husband if it would help make things easier for Jacques.

Given the Renier family's history of having entirely human members of it get bumped off left right and center, (Jacqueline's mother murdered her husband, Jacqueline eventually did likewise, and those were just the ones she fully intended to kill not going into all the guys who have died due to her curse) I think your "rat and mouse in cage" situation is all too likely to come to pass eventually with a high possibility of Jacques' wife ending up "dying in childbirth" eventually after she's produced him a few heirs.

Granted Louise would probably want to see it happen before then, since any kids Jacques have are just more stumbling blocks between her and rulership of the family.

The other possibility of course is that Jacques may end up doing something that Jacqueline should have at least considered doing a long time ago, and end up being lucky enough to find that somewhere in the Drakov line/among the other acceptable Falkovnian brides to be there is a female Natural Wererat...
Last edited by jamesfirecat on Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

My take on it was that Richemulot was actually a close-knit federation of city-states under aristocratic rule. The official rulers were elected, not by the commoners or burghers, but by fellow aristocrats. And Jacequeline Renier was essentially the uncrowned queen. Her paramount position was well known. Not the power behind the throne of Doninic D'Honaire, but not a legal, official dictator like Ivana Boritsi.

thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

ewancummins wrote:My take on it was that Richemulot was actually a close-knit federation of city-states under aristocratic rule. The official rulers were elected, not by the commoners or burghers, but by fellow aristocrats. And Jacequeline Renier was essentially the uncrowned queen. Her paramount position was well known. Not the power behind the throne of Doninic D'Honaire, but not a legal, official dictator like Ivana Boritsi.
Yes, I think part of Jackie's ambition for Richemulot, Jacques and to some extent the invasion of Falkovnia is to shift to a monarchy, with Jacques as the recognised and legitimate successor. Which might be harder than it sounds, while Kings of England could generally rely on their eldest succeeding them, in the Holy Roman Empire attempting to name a successor was only done by the most confident of Kaisers.

I think as the "mother of the nation" Jacky could have probably declared herself Queen before now, it has been done successfully by others in much shakier positions, I believe her failure to do so might indicate her desire to see her son established.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

jamesfirecat wrote: The other possibility of course is that Jacques may end up doing something that Jacqueline should have at least considered doing a long time ago, and end up being lucky enough to find that somewhere in the Drakov line/among the other acceptable Falkovnian brides to be there is a female Natural Wererat...
Now this has to be a possibility, right? the Silver Scourge (or whatever it was called) definitely didn't get all the natural wererats in Falkovnia, and I can't imagine all the remaining ones fleeing to the newly formed Richemulot.

If we assume that those few left behind were the infirm, and the elderly, that might lead to some interesting characterizations for following generations. Falkovnian wererats have been living in different circumstances than their pampered kin, and if they derive from diseased stock there might be some interesting variations. Culturally there may be differences too, which might lead to snobbery towards them.

An interesting idea might be for a female Falkovnian wererat to distinguish herself amongst the Falkovnian populace, thus making her a suitable mate for Jacques, as far as a political match goes, but entirely unsuitable on a more social level
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

thekristhomas wrote:
jamesfirecat wrote: The other possibility of course is that Jacques may end up doing something that Jacqueline should have at least considered doing a long time ago, and end up being lucky enough to find that somewhere in the Drakov line/among the other acceptable Falkovnian brides to be there is a female Natural Wererat...
Now this has to be a possibility, right? the Silver Scourge (or whatever it was called) definitely didn't get all the natural wererats in Falkovnia, and I can't imagine all the remaining ones fleeing to the newly formed Richemulot.

If we assume that those few left behind were the infirm, and the elderly, that might lead to some interesting characterizations for following generations. Falkovnian wererats have been living in different circumstances than their pampered kin, and if they derive from diseased stock there might be some interesting variations. Culturally there may be differences too, which might lead to snobbery towards them.

An interesting idea might be for a female Falkovnian wererat to distinguish herself amongst the Falkovnian populace, thus making her a suitable mate for Jacques, as far as a political match goes, but entirely unsuitable on a more social level

You killed Ignatz. He was my brother. You killed my brother!

<Hefts maces and moves to attack>

thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

To return to Othmar and the wars in the east.

I'm imagining that Othmar would be eager to hang a big "Mission Accomplished" banner over Tepest, despite the fact that a large section of the country remains unconquered, and he would just assume that now the road construction was wholly in the hands of a Vaasi workforce (or a Tepestani workforce under Vaasi overseers) that all will be well and turn his attentions elsewhere, namely Barovia.

I'm thinking that the Pave of Hazlan would send priests or messengers into Nova Vaasa declaring the successful annexation of Immol and the beginning of an "Iron Crusade" to allow the news to filter up to Othmar, thus bypassing the Himmelsk Naeve. If the Pave were cunning enough, he might declare that Immol actually marks the second phase of a crusade which began in Tepest, to further encourage Othmar's involvement.

I don't think Strahd would respond to the annexation of Immol, he's very busy with Borca and Malochio and he knows he can deal with it whenever he chooses. Othmar would interpret that as weakness, and buoyed by his "success" in Tepest hastily organise an invasion of Barovia
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

To some extent I'm starting to see Othmar as the eastern Drakov, his dreams of conquest will ultimately fail, mostly because of his lack of understanding of the way the "world" works, in the meantime circumstances have put him in the position to do some harm. That being said I don't see the war in the East being as "setting changing" as the war in the west, none of the characters or DLs involved who might take advantage of the chaos that Othmar causes strike me as interested in expanding their holdings.

Let's quickly run through those involved, though, in case any of you think I maybe wrong about that.

Malken: Malken is one of the few DLs who has actually expanded his territory since the setting began, but there is little indication that has anything to do with his ambitions IMO. In fact, as has been discussed, he seems likely to be opposed to Othmar's plans for expansion. That being said he seems likely to have some scheme, possibly involving the death of Tristen Hiregaard and the transfer of the curse

The Sisters Three: Other than food and chaos, it's difficult to know what these ladies want, but as it does appear that they have provoked the Vaasi invasion of Tepest, they definitely want something, but that may just be food and chaos

Hazlik: He seems focused on destroying his enemies on another world, rather than enemies on this one

Tristen ApBlanc: Does he even know the other domains exist?

the Pave of Hazlan: Is simply trying to redirect the wrath of the Church of the Lawgiver

Niall McGrannin: I'm thinking that this guy has just been persuaded into what is a pretty bad idea (remember this guy is basically invading Barovia with a handful of highlanders and a guy playing bagpipes) by the Pave and the pro-Hazlani faction in Immol. To some extent, unless Immol is somehow affected by a border flux due to Barovia absorbing Borca (which, come to think of it, could happen) his ambitions for unifying the Forfarian exclaves seems likely to be crushed as soon as Strahd's attention turns to it.

The ApMortens: Maybe these are the guys that give this scheme a (small) chance, this family of necromancers might have the mystical know-how to somehow move the misty border to place Immol within Hazlan. Now, other than the larger domain fluxes, such as Gundarak's division between Barovia and Invidia, and Nova Vaasa's absorbing of the Nightmare Lands, there are also precedents for much smaller shifts in the border, the Bonesliver River valley used to be in Borca, but is now in Verbrek, for example

The Ildi'Thaan: while these guys might be secretly (because they're a secret society) supporting the Hazlani annexation of Immol, their reasons for doing so are entirely independent from the other interested parties. For them, joining with Hazlan represents an opportunity for their group to gain greater access to those parts of Hazlan which were part of Bluetspur before the GC (now that I'm thinking about it, that would include Forfarmax, hmm) and might contain relics of either the Thaani or the Illithidae both of which could be of interest.

Strahd: is busy finally eliminating the Dilisnya and humiliating Malochio in Borca, but unless the border shifts he will eventually turn his attention to Immol, however, thankfully for most of the parties involved, his response is likely to be a swift replacement of the burgomeister (who is barely involved in this plot anyway). The Nova Vaasan invasion of Barovia, would definitely draw a response, however
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Looking at this list, it occurs to me that the Ildithaan and the ApMortens occupy similar positions in Immol and Forfarmax respectively, I wonder if there might be any overlap?

From Forbidden Lore, we also have Rasputin Khrinitov, a high ranking member of the Ildithaan that operates as a moneylender out of Toyalis, could he be one of the actors in this tale? It seems likely given his position in Hazlan, that he might get wind of the Pave's plan early, he might even have been approached to fund the enterprise
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

A little bit of a sidetrack probably from where you guys are going (I've long since lost where you guys currently are.) But recently I've been thinking about Harkon Lukas a lot, about how he wanted to be a conqueror himself back in Cormyr. I would think he would use build up of Invidia and Falkovnia's armies as an excuse to unite the people of Kartakass and build up the infrastructure. (Falkovnia once tried to take control of the roads and set up a check point in Kartakass, so the Kartakans are already enemies of the Fallkovnians. Invidia is also an enemy because of Kartakass' false history of Invidian invasions and their hatred for tyrants like Malocchio.

So, galvanized like never before, the kartakans may repair their battlements and hunker down, or maybe even go on the offense. And in the shadows, Grandfather Wolf may be gathering a hidden army of wolfweres in the shadows, like he did to get rid of the Falkovnians whom tried to set up the check point.