The War in the Core

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The War in the Core

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

He does have ranks in Rogue. ;) And having a whole country yanked out from under him might school him to a smidgeon more subtlety, especially if he has to rebuild a powerbase from scratch.

As for self-fulfilling prophecies... This is Ravenloft, realm of gothic horror. I bet the DPs crack up everytime a self-fulfilling prophecy is created.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Nova Vaasan military movements into Barovia wouldn't require the Vistani potion to enter, would it? The majority of border defenses are reliant on the fact they try to keep ones in, not out. So the potion collection would be needed to leave the nation (required for officers, messengers, and suppliers), but the numbers of soldiers leading the charge would (and could) be great and take a lot of land. Granted, between undead, wolves, and Strahd's direct actions the Vaasi forces would have greater issues.

Also, how would the more secretive factions would act/react to the war? I could see Vistani flocking to Barovia in droves to avoid the war (making a formidable force if Strahd used them to move small groups anywhere with their supernatural traveling ability). What about the Fraternity of Shadows?
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Good enough for me. And the Dukkar could always find a patsy within the Nevulchar Springs guys if he himself is not familiar enough with the religion for the job.

So if I may summarize what we have with Core War I with Sithicus, Tepest, and Mordent in mind:
Prior to the war, the Mordentish Blessed Army of Ezra launches its sneak attack on the Darkonians in the Nevuchar Springs Branch. The dust-up sends the Darkonians in disarray, but they prepare a counter-attack

Nova Vaasa invades Tepest. The Nova Vaasans are harried by various monsters that make their progress into the domain less than it appears. However, the Tepestani don't know this. In the face of superior numbers and an organized force, the Tepestani look outward for allies for the first time. Several of them cross into Darkon looking for non-heathen allies. They discover the Via Corona mistway and contact the Nidalans for help. Differences in doctrine are not immediately apparent, and Faith-hold sends some of her enforcers to help the Tepestani.

Sithicus invades a weakened Invidia and takes some portion of its southern half. After Malocchio flees and Gabrielle perishes, the domain is split three ways between Verbrek, Sithicus, and Kartakass.

Azalin offers Malocchio sanctuary, so the half-fiend flees to Darkon. However, relations do not go well between the two, so Malocchio flees and hides somewhere in Darkon.

Meanwhile, Azalin has his hands full. The clash between the Blessed Army and the Darkonian branch has been going on for some time, causing a more than desirable death toll. Although he has no love for the Ezrans, the foreign invader can no longer be tolerated. Between dealing with the Mordentish invaders and finding Malocchio, Azalin has his hands full. As such, he allows the Nidalans to cross the border into Tepest without much molestation.

The Mordentish retreat from Darkon, partially because of Azalin's antagonism but also to help Dementlieu. Sadly they are too late to make a difference in their sister country. The Nevuchar Springs Ezrans prepare a counterattack on Mordent, but they are foiled by the chaos of the war.

Meanwhile Malocchio (possibly) infiltrates the Ezrans at Nevuchar Springs and somehow subverts their infrastructure. The Ezrans, still in disarray from the Mordentish attack and their foiled counterattack, are much easier prey for Malocchio than they normally would.

The Nidalans help the Tepestani forcefully oust the Nova Vaasan invaders from Tepest. the Nova Vaasans, facing a losing prospect of a two front war combined with unrest at home, retreat with their tales tucked in between their legs. The resource loss and casualties suffered by Nova Vaasa and the internal dissent caused by this losses probably leaves that land the worst off of the domains that weren't dissolved and/or taken over by foreign powers. Nova Vaasa will have to focus on rebuilding itself for some time to come.

The Mordentish Ezrans receive refugees from the Dementlieuese Branch and the Home Faith, boosting their numbers and credibility. However, the influx of refugees takes them a bit by surprise, and providing for the basic needs of these refugees proves to be the challenge that the Mordentish must deal with following the end of the war. While they are distracted, the fiend that they meant to eradicate begins cementing his power within Darkon.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Dark Angel wrote:Nova Vaasan military movements into Barovia wouldn't require the Vistani potion to enter, would it? The majority of border defenses are reliant on the fact they try to keep ones in, not out. So the potion collection would be needed to leave the nation (required for officers, messengers, and suppliers), but the numbers of soldiers leading the charge would (and could) be great and take a lot of land. Granted, between undead, wolves, and Strahd's direct actions the Vaasi forces would have greater issues.

Also, how would the more secretive factions would act/react to the war? I could see Vistani flocking to Barovia in droves to avoid the war (making a formidable force if Strahd used them to move small groups anywhere with their supernatural traveling ability). What about the Fraternity of Shadows?
My guess is that the more secretive factions will stick mostly to the sidelines, take the opportunity to loot, or manipulate things from the shadows. The Fraternity of Shadows doesn't have a lot to gain from wars between temporal powers. However, they would have a number of facilities they might like to defend, like the Radiant Tower in Falkovnia and the University of Dementlieu. Reaching some accord (through whatever means necessary) with the new powers that be would seem a top priority for them in my book. Another goal would be to profit from the chaos, such as taking the opportunity to raid other knowledge caches such as that old Church of the Dementlieuse Branch.

I see the Syndicate of Enlightened Citizens as part of the reason why the war became such a clusterfudge in the first place. They push Lamordia into invading Dementlieu because magic is relatively common there, and they hope the Lamordian rationalism will put a damper on its practice and teaching. This will of course go very well with the Fraternity of Shadows. Meanwhile, the Syndicate also pushes Falkovnia to invade Richemulot in order to wipe out the wererats that dominate that country. Ultimately they might hope to create a rationalist, secularist power block, but their efforts backfire in Falkovnia getting struck down. And they are only half-successful in Dementlieu as the Brain has significant influence within the official Lamordian power structure and there are rebels to challenge Lamordia's power structure.

The Kargat work to enforce Azalin's will. A few of the Kargat probably help facilitate Falkovnia's implosion and the foiling of the Mordentish invaders of Darkon. Despite his inattention to the Nidalans moving through is borders, he might send a handfull of spies into the Tepestani conflict zone to gather intelligence for future endeavors.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

The Lesser Evil wrote:
Rock wrote:Oh.

Oh!

If Malocchio loses Invidia... he doesn't want to serve Azalin, but might try to go to ground in Darkon... What if he is the one to infiltrate the Nevuchar Springs sect?!
I could see this working if the Mordentish people acted a bit too early, before the fated Anti-Prophet actually got there. Perhaps their attack put the Darkonians in such a disarray that they were easy pickin's for Malocchio to worm his way into the upper ranks and thus assume his foretold role. (This would make the Mordentish victims of an ironic self-fulfilling prophecy).

My only difficulty here is that the Dukkar is a fairly infamous person and he seems to be more of a tin-pot dictator than a religious leader or great manipulator. Changing from the former to the latter is a pretty big change in M.O. But maybe having his butt militarily handed to him schooled him to act with a bit more subtlety?

I'm sure I've seen it suggested, but I can't remember who or when, that the Anti-Ezra/UberDukkar, would be the spawn of the GC and Madame Eva
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

The Lesser Evil wrote: The Mordentish Ezrans receive refugees from the Dementlieuese Branch and the Home Faith, boosting their numbers and credibility. However, the influx of refugees takes them a bit by surprise, and providing for the basic needs of these refugees proves to be the challenge that the Mordentish must deal with following the end of the war. While they are distracted, the fiend that they meant to eradicate begins cementing his power within Darkon.
This would, in essence, create 2 church's of ezra, now directly opposed and antagonistic. The Home Faith is almost certainly considered defunct, and it's not as if Strahd is going to tolerate them operating as they did in Borca if at all. The Dementlieu branch while never a community that sought converts, would surely struggle to re-establish itself amongst the Lamordian scholars of the new Port-a-Lucine. So these two, once powerful factions of the church, are folded into the Mordentish See, or the Church of Ezra's Grace (or something) which declares the Nevuchar Springs sect as heretics (despite the fact the the Darkonian See has passed all tests) under pressure from the original Mordentish sect, which now forms the backbone of the new, more militant church.

The Darkonian See suffers something of a crises of faith. The Darkonians had always known that the other sects would need "shoaring up" when the time came, the other sects were obviously luke warm in their belief, but an attack? Against fellow Anchorites? The sheer certainty in the faces of the Mordentish priests as they attacked, gives even Teodorus Raines pause. Could they be right? Could the Legions of the Night infiltrated the church? A brief, but thorough, inquistion is held, and no trace of corruption found. This leaves only one possibility, The Mordentish See, and by extension their puppets from Borca and Dementlieu, are acting directly for the Legions of the Night, Darkon stands alone against the ToUD.

This sends Raines into a full black dog depression, with both the laiety and priesthood worrying that without his inspirational leadership the One True Church of Ezra (or something) will wither and die. They pray for a miracle. It comes in the form of a child, angelic despite it's obviously Half-Vistani heritage. The young boy takes Teodorus's hand, and tears of ecstacy begin to fall from the old man's face. The priest begins preaching again, always through tears, always holding the infants hand.

And of course, the fabled Final Sect has yet to reveal itself...
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Dark Angel wrote: Also, how would the more secretive factions would act/react to the war? I could see Vistani flocking to Barovia in droves to avoid the war (making a formidable force if Strahd used them to move small groups anywhere with their supernatural traveling ability). What about the Fraternity of Shadows?
One of the things I have been considering is what the "alien" factions" would make of this, the Shadow Fey, the Nightmare Court, the Bluetspur Illithidae and the abominations of the Drowning Deep.

Granted, neither the mind-flayers or the Court are "core" domains anymore, but it intrigues me for thematic reasons. If we accept that "alien/cosmic" horror was partially the results of the horrors of WWI and WWII, then maybe the Core War I would create in the imaginations of the people of the core, similar results to the minds of authors after WWI. After all, imagining the horror is halfway to it being sat behind you in Ravenloft...
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The elder brain might feel something if
a) another psychic, disembodied brain becomes darklord
b) the passing of a powerful mental entity (Dominic D'Honaire)
How it might react, I'm not sure.

The Nova Vaasans trampling all over Tepest might alert the Shadow Fey that the humans (or at least, the Nova Vaasans) are more of an organized menace that they thought. A small but gradually increasing number of the Shadow Fey might start encroaching into Nova Vaasa and start plaguing its citizens, whom are relatively inexperienced in dealing with the fey.

Speaking of Nova Vaasa, I can see coming out of this war things going badly for Prince Othmar and the Bolshniks. Coming back from the war basically empty handed, he'll have a lot of bills to pay, because funding a war (not to mention two!) costs a lot of money. He'll probably try to squeeze cash out of whomever he can, including demanding a higher cut of Malken's profits in return for the law to look the other way. This will end in arguments, hostility, and then a power struggle. Malken releases his blackmail material on Othmar, which causes a meltdown in the Bolshnik family. The two rebellious noble families (I forget their names) take this opportunity to rebel and attack the Bolshniks, which eventually erupts into a full-out civil war in Nova Vaasa.

Meanwhile, foreign relations between Nova Vaasa and Hazlan are likely to suffer, as Hazlan has for the most part stayed out of the fighting except for sitting on Immol. However, lingering resentment does not lead to war or anything, as Nova Vaasa has its own internal problems, and Hazlan just couldn't give a damn.

The Church of the Lawgiver goes back to its usual bickering between the Nova Vaasan and the Hazlani branches of the Lawgiver over the presence of arcane magic compounded with trying to play the blame game. The Nova Vaasan Lawgivers are rather torqued off, but they aren't really in a state to act on their impotent rage. They've got bigger problems- the government of Nova Vaasa collapsing as it begins going through a downward spiral of civil war, not to mention the church's support of an illegitimate king and a total disaster of a war (which I believe we stipulated it was their idea). Malken might deign to start up his old Claws of Sekhmet cult again to further take apart Othmar's regime (through its connection with the Lawgivers). The general feeling of Myterri is in the air.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Without labouring the WWI analogy, I can see a full on revolution in Nova Vaasa, with Othmar and his family being executed in a basement somewhere, OK maybe I am labouring the analogy.

But it's important to remember that unlike the Falkovnian/Invidian/Lamordian axis, which had Malochio handling the demi-planar mechanics, the Vaasi are just attacking because they see an opportunity. Other than a bit of planning for the choking fog they aren't really looking at RL realistically, not surprisingly Othmar is almost certainly unaware of the concept of DLs, DPs, etc. and possibly thinks the choking fog to be a naturally occurring phenomena which Strahd takes advantage of.

As a result even though the Vaasi wars might seem static, even trivial in terms of land conquered, in terms of lives lost (particularly Vaasi lives) they would dwarf the western front, where the combatants are all more RL savvy (or are allied with someone who is)

Othmar's approval rating would tumble (it was never that high) maybe even Hireguaard would accept that if Othmar refuses to abdicate then he needs to be removed by force.

Hazlik on the other hand, refused to move passed Immol, simply accepting the Immolian defection and moving some troops to support the democratic decision of the locals :P even if Strahd eventually ejects his expeditionary force then little has been lost, and he can return to his genocidal schemes in peace.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I'm sure Othmar knows arcane magic exists - the church of the Lawgiver is so against it, after all - and so he might reason out Strahd is making the toxic fog. ^^

I fear Tristan will never support a movement that removes Othmar from the throne. Not unless the church of the Lawgiver okays it for him, which it might only do to preserve its own standing in the community or if Othmar goes entirely batpoop over losing the war for territory.

Hazlik, now...
Hazlik does mostly want to be left alone. Is he smart enough to figure out that the best way to achieve that would be to come to terms with Strahd and maybe send some of the pressure the church of the Lawgiver exerts the other way? The Lawgiver high priest in Hazlan might push for a revision of the church's attitude on arcane magic, based on empirical evidence; the branch that preaches against it is now overseeing a much diminished country in turmoil, whereas the more 'permissive' branch oversees a country that's come through Core War I relatively unscathed.
Something to think about for the Vaasi and the Himmelsk Naeve, perhaps...?
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Rock wrote:I'm sure Othmar knows arcane magic exists - the church of the Lawgiver is so against it, after all - and so he might reason out Strahd is making the toxic fog. ^^

I fear Tristan will never support a movement that removes Othmar from the throne. Not unless the church of the Lawgiver okays it for him, which it might only do to preserve its own standing in the community or if Othmar goes entirely batpoop over losing the war for territory.

Hazlik, now...
Hazlik does mostly want to be left alone. Is he smart enough to figure out that the best way to achieve that would be to come to terms with Strahd and maybe send some of the pressure the church of the Lawgiver exerts the other way? The Lawgiver high priest in Hazlan might push for a revision of the church's attitude on arcane magic, based on empirical evidence; the branch that preaches against it is now overseeing a much diminished country in turmoil, whereas the more 'permissive' branch oversees a country that's come through Core War I relatively unscathed.
Something to think about for the Vaasi and the Himmelsk Naeve, perhaps...?
I'm sure Othmar is generally aware of magic, wizards etc, but Dark Lords, border closures et al are, I imagine, much less known/understood, particularly as Othmar is not DL, and therefore has less personal experience of them. I think you're probably right though it'd take a Lamordian to see Strahd's Choking Fog as some kind of natural phenomenon :Brain:

I've also been wondering about the church of the Lawgiver, it surely has come under increasing pressure in the years since the GC, I imagine a greater number of former Banites who now say "Gott ist tod" in both sections of the church. I think part of the reason that no other church has succeeded in Vaasi territory is because too many "fake" religions, like that cat cult, have been "disproved" in the past. I could see the Divinity of Mankind making some in roads,or even a more atheistic sect, which could prompt a "reform" movement in the church.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rock wrote:I'm sure Othmar knows arcane magic exists - the church of the Lawgiver is so against it, after all - and so he might reason out Strahd is making the toxic fog. ^^

On Tristen's reaction, I think he would be internally divided if Malken's blackmail material got out, as it would reveal that Othmar was not the legitimate ruler (having killed his father.) He probably would sit out a great deal of the politics, perhaps being called in as a negotiator towards the end of the conflict (or when it seems like everybody was absolutely going to kill each other.)

I also think this would be a point of contention among the Lawgivers, as they backed his bid for power outside of the rotation system. Some would want to turn on Othmar for regicide, whereas others (perhaps the majority?) would say the murder was just and approved by Bane as a way to save face.
thekristhomas wrote:

I've also been wondering about the church of the Lawgiver, it surely has come under increasing pressure in the years since the GC, I imagine a greater number of former Banites who now say "Gott ist tod" in both sections of the church. I think part of the reason that no other church has succeeded in Vaasi territory is because too many "fake" religions, like that cat cult, have been "disproved" in the past. I could see the Divinity of Mankind making some in roads,or even a more atheistic sect, which could prompt a "reform" movement in the church.
Divinity of Mankind seems like a bit of a stretch, because the Banite faith is so tied with Vaasi ethnic culture that accepting a foreign religion would be incredibly hard for the Vaasi.

More likely, we would see some schisms form in the church or perhaps the faithful. The Duremkite Heresy, might for instance suddenly gain popularity to the point where Lukas becomes (unwittingly) a lightning rod for reform and revolution. Lukas preaches peace and tries to settle down the violent agitators who follow his philosophy of reciprocal top-down/bottom-up responsibility. However, as he is a pacifist, I'd probably think he would get assassinated barring some major divine luck (or PC interference). If he was killed early on before his message had time to really spread, then his interpretation would likely die with him.

On the other hand, if he lives long enough to spread his message, he may be able to make a significant impact upon society. I could see him negotiating a peace agreement with Tristen as a possible solution to the conflict (with Lukas negotiating on behalf of the rebel/reform/Anti-Othmar group and Tristen negotiating for the status quo/pro-Othmar group.) If Lukas achieved an end to the civil war, he could become something of a powerhouse regarding social credulity. An assassination after this event occurred would likely send ripples or even shock-waves coursing through Nova Vaasan society.
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

If the people start to rise up against the church of the Lawgiver for backing Othmar all this time, though, the Himmelsk Naeve might excommunicate Othmar for acts of heresy and otherwise turn on him to make sure the church isn't pulled down along with Othmar.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

Just to try again at stretching the Nova Vaasa/Imperial Russia analogue, could a heretical Banite (or servant of Malken, remember as DL, he probably has a better idea of how things will turn out than Othmar) have become close to Othmar and the royal family, and through his pacifistic teachings be trying to keep Nova Vaasa out of the war?

It's a Rasputin rip off, but it might be interesting from a "Great Game" perspective. If a group of PCs were working for a power that wished to see Nova Vaasa in the war (I struggle to think of one with an obvious reason, maybe Malochio's Invidia to harry the eastern front? Maybe Darkon, just to mess with Strahd) then they might be tasked with assassinating/exposing the priest, in order to remove that barrier to war.

The priest would be a pretty bad guy, and pretty hard to kill (hmmm...seemingly immune to many toxins, maybe a Boritsi scion?) but even if the PCs could not do this then they might still expose his heretical practices which while the subject of open speculation and gossip, would be considered heinous crimes were proof ever to be revealed.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

The Lesser Evil wrote: I see the Syndicate of Enlightened Citizens as part of the reason why the war became such a clusterfudge in the first place. They push Lamordia into invading Dementlieu because magic is relatively common there, and they hope the Lamordian rationalism will put a damper on its practice and teaching. This will of course go very well with the Fraternity of Shadows. Meanwhile, the Syndicate also pushes Falkovnia to invade Richemulot in order to wipe out the wererats that dominate that country. Ultimately they might hope to create a rationalist, secularist power block, but their efforts backfire in Falkovnia getting struck down. And they are only half-successful in Dementlieu as the Brain has significant influence within the official Lamordian power structure and there are rebels to challenge Lamordia's power structure.
Yes, I definitely see the Syndicate as "hawks" in this scenario, acting as a pro-war faction within Lamordian society. I've been wondering if with the Brain as DL, Dementlieu might begin suffering under it's own "Smothering of Reason", and that may have been part of the Syndicate's plan.

As an aside, according to the gaz entry, the "Smothering" has only been occurring in recent times. It seems unlikely, therefore, to actually be a manifestation of the DLs curse, but maybe the results of activity by a third party. Might the Syndicate be that third party? Might they have the means to extend it to other lands, given time and resources?

Either way the Societe de Legerdemain will have to stand against the Syndicate if it is to survive, while their cover is based on the fact that natives of Dementlieu are unused to magic, the Syndicate will surely quickly see through it and begin targeting the arcanists.

If it is true that the Smothering expands, then that would surely be a threat to the power of the Fraternity. While they might be content to simply rescue a few book collections and museum pieces at first, as evidence of the failure of magic began to mount up, I can see them investigating, and then actively working against the Syndicate, with both them and the Societe becoming active (if sometimes opposing) factions within La Resistance