The War in the Core

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The War in the Core

Post by The Lesser Evil »

IrvyneWolfe wrote:This is pretty comprehensive so far. We have pretty much the entire Western core turning into a chaotic mess over this. My question is....

What happens back east?

The Vaasi have a history of being conquerors and you can bet Prince Othmar would jump at the chance to expand his power base. Not being the Darklord he'd be able to lead his armies in person. Would they operate solo? Would they ally with Hazlan? Ally with Falkovnia?

Who would they set out to invade? Darkon? That's a losing bet and I think everyone in this equation knows it. Forlorn? I'm sure the Vaasi wouldn't see it as much of a conquest and as soon as their armies started getting wrecked by Goblyns and man eating plants they'd regret trying.The FoS report on the Nocturnal Sea makes Graben a very likely target.

Me though I keep coming back to Strahd. What if everyone's favourite vampire lord is too busy to weigh in on the central conflict because he's dealing with an invasion from the East. If Hazlan was brought into the fold they may have the magical might to make a pretty good show of it, at least until Strahd realizes it's a ploy to soften Barovia up by the secret Falkovnian/Invidia/Lamordian/Vaasan alliance. The idea is for the main alliance to offer Strahd a non-agression treaty in exchange for closing his border to refugees. However the Vaasan are secret part of the alliance as well and launch an "independent" invasion in the East. As soon as Barovia's back in turned Invidian forces invade from the West. Throw in Strahd's reaction when he finds out a certain Ezran priest from Hazlan is wandering the battlefields healing anyone she comes across. He's suddenly going to be very very interested which bodes ill for the invasion force.
A few points of interest regarding Nova Vaasa from Gaz V. Kiev Hiregaard, son of Sasha Hiregaard, is already mucking about in Falkovnia trying to overthrow its military dictatorship (Legacy of Blood p.78), so this should play a role in any Vaasan/Falkovnian interactions.

Also, back at home, the Vaasans seem pretty intent on building a road through Tepest into Darkon to join the Strigoi Road. As of 758 there is a build up of troops near the Tepestani border (Gaz V p.37). This could be interpreted as a show of force to make the Tepestani quit their road sabotaging shenanigans. Or it could be in preparation for some kind of invasion. If we are doing a "Core War I" scenario, then I think the latter is a likely event.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

thekristhomas wrote:
Jacquleine Renier is old, but her Becoming Plague is either ready or near to it

Falkovnia attacks Richemulot

Richemulot is considered the strongest militarily so in order to isolate it, Borca will be taken first, then Dementlieu.

Okay lets talk about this, because I lord knows I never get tired of talking about Richemulot! (Non sarcasm)

First of all the problem is that we've got no "benchmark" for how the past invasions went exactly/why/how they failed.

We know that Falkovnia invaded twice, but we don't have any idea about how serious they were.

The only thing we know for certain was that the first time the Reniers went up against Drakov was in Silbervas back over the course of the Years of the Impaled Rats.

It took Vlad three years to drive the wererats out of a city with a civilian population that was in theory on his side.

Silbervas has a population of 5,800 and lets assume populations don't fluctuate a lot in Ravenloft or else all this is just so much conjecture, even more so than already.

Further more lets assume that Richemulot represents more or less the peak wererat to human ratio possible without it becoming obvious to the point that no one can deny that there are way too many wererats for people to want to live there. That ratio (in Richemulot) is roughly 10 humans to every one wererat. (45,330 humans to 4,390 wererats)

I'm going to assume the ratio is of wererats to humans in Silbervas was lower, maybe somewhere between 20 to 1 or 50 to 1? Lets say maybe around 200 wererats? Granted those numbers fluctuated up (as soldiers/people were infected) and down (as wererats were killed) over the course of those three years, and the Renier's were probably down to about 50 wererats (who by that point were all natural lycanthropes (infected being much easier to hunt down and kill) the initial number includes both natural and infected).

This is once again pure conjecture because we don't have any numbers for how many troops Vlad used to conduct his battles, or how many losses he's took in the process/how many of his own men he had to kill off for fear that they were infected wererats.

What we can roughly tell though, is that it's a very difficult task to say the least to drive wererats out of a city. Also the Years of the Impaled rat was now over half a century ago (right?), so its safe to assume all the soldiers who actually came out of that battle with anti-lycanthrope battle experience have been taken out of the equation by time even if Darkov's other wars didn't get them first.

So, Jacqueline's best move from a tactical point of view is probably a rope a dope/scorched earth.

Any Falkovnian invasion of Richemulot that is taking the most obvious path would be to mass your biggest force at Silbervas using the city as a staging area, and then march them south and slightly east towards Pont-a-Museau and try to end the fighting as quickly as possible/secure a major victory early on by seizing the largest city in Richemlot, the capital, and the home of the Renier family who also happen to be the chief force holding the nation together.

If Jacqueline wanted to be a complete bastard (and given that she's a darklord the smart money would tend to drift in that direction) she should let Darkov think he's winning, let his armies march into Pont-a-Museau with relatively light opposition, let them raise the Falkovnian flag over Chateau Delanuit, then turn the city into an urban warzone the likes of which would make Stalingrad seem like a walk in the park.

The city has a huge sewer system that the Renier family knows the ins and outs of, it has a population roughly three times the size of Silbervas (16,550) and that means roughly 1,650 wererats. If you want to learn the true definition of Rattenkrieg, imagine trying to invade a city where every rat is either an enemy spy, an assassin, or both.

It also doesn't help that according to Van Richten's Guide to Lycanthropes, wererats tend to vary in what substances they are vulnerable to, so you can't just give every Falkovnian soldier a silver sword/pike and consider that particular job over and done with, this wererat may be vulnerable to silver, this one, gold, this one copper, this one a weapon made out of wood, this one a weapon made of sharpened bone.

Now Jacqueline's biggest problem is how to make the her right hand (the human population of Richemulot who are quite loyal and actually probably give her at least something around a 70% approval rating which is much better than most Darklords get) cooperate with her left (the extended Renier family/all the wererats she's invited to Richemulot over the years) because having those two sides kill each other is obviously somewhat suboptimal for her to say the least.

Also there's the issue where in the previous wars/general past she's earned herself a reputation as maternal defending figure, which could take a severe hit if she decides to implement a strategy that basically throws all the open countryside in Richemulot to the wolves (well hawks) so that she can turn its cities into meat grinders.

One way that she might be able to avoid that is to pull off the following scheme.

Fake illness/sickness just as the war is starting and recover only just in time to escape Chateau Delanuit before Falkovnia captures it.

Then you tell one of the most outrageous lie that has ever been told in the history of Ravenloft.

That Falkovnia having been defeated by her/her family twice before while trying to invade Richemulot, had agents within her city get in touch with the evil wererats that had been plaguing the nation for so long as part of some super evil plan and had one of them try take over the nation by incapacitating her by biting/scratching her/making her an infected wererat.

What the beasts did not realize is that her will and love for Richemulot is too strong to be corroded even by a magical disease and so she fought it off and in the processed imposed her unshakable will upon first her own body, then the rat that dared to infect her, and all then all the wererats in Richemulot since the beast that infected her had been some scheming mastermind that was secretly directing all wererat activity in the entire city, (this especially ties into my general theory that Jacuqeline or to be more exact her agents have long been spreading rumors of there being a master wererat in the sewers of her city, which is the Ravenloft equivalent of Spider from The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents) which means she is now in control of the wererats and so long as she is in control Richemulot's human patriots/armed forces/irregulars will "play nice" with the wererats and vice versa.

Now this isn't the only approach she could take to the problems above, but you have to admit, if she pulls it off, it would resolve the issue of how to properly fuse the two separate chains of command that she's been dealing with.

Granted some people might ponder "lnfected lycanthropy doesn't work like that, at all..." to which she can respond by either A: having them killed or B: doing the ingame equivalent of pointing out that according to Gazetteer IV (4) if an infected lycnathropes takes five levels of the Moonchild prestige class they then count as a natural lycanthrope.

Also at the final battle to shatter the Falkovnian army in Richemulot she'll need to either fake her own death or at least claim that the master wererat creature ended up being killed which caused her to loose control of the rest of the wererat population which explains why they go back to being "evil" after the battle, but still allowing her to stay in power, and possibly even thumbing her nose in the Dark Powers face by coming up with a way to stop having the entire transforms in the presence of those she loves without control being such a deal breaker, assuming that her own vanity and hatred at loosing control don't still drive her to homicidal rage whenever it happens which they very well might.

Now, I'm not saying this has to happen, or will happen exactly this way, but I think unless Falkovnia really brings their A game and Vlad Drakov has by this point figured out that "The Clawed One" from Silbervas who ran the thieves den/wererats was actually Claude Renier (we know so little about the various wars between Richemulot and Falkovnia that it's hard to say if he does or not) then it's entirely possible that the Falkovnian armies will end up getting quite literally eaten alive.

In short invading Richemulot is in its own way just as difficult as invading Darkon. You know how Verbrek is thought of as this wild part of the Core that humanity/civilization has no chance in because there are just so many werewolves running around? There are roughly four time as many lycanthropes in Richemulot as in Verbrek, and wererats seem to be every bit as as prone to working together well as werewolves are.

If Jacqueline can find a way to keep her rats and her human subjects from fighting each other, Falkovnia is in for a very rough time to say the least.
Last edited by jamesfirecat on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I love this whole complicated, entwined allegiances bit. If Falkovnia were to fight Barovia after conquering Borca, I wonder which side Azalin would back. He hates Strahd but has nothing but patronizing contempt for Drakov. He'd probably just be content to let them duke it out and weaken each other. (keeping both out of hair while he does more important things.)
You've got that right. Azalin would probably be read the news then double check it then go "So wait, the Mercenary and the Bloodsucker are fighting each other? Killing each other's servants off in cartload lots? Hmm... there seems to be something wrong with my face...." "You're smiling my lord."

He'd be only to happy to sit back (possibly even eating a bag of "banged grains" just because it "feels right" even though they end up falling right out his rib cage) and watch those too bleed each other dry (probably a bit more literally on Strahd's side of things) just so he could be sure that they'd both be unable to bother him for a while. Azalin defends Darkon (not that you really need to try hard to "defend" a land where every living casualty friend or foe becomes an undead under your control) but he's seemed to be much more interested in escaping Ravenloft than expanding his territory within it.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rock wrote:I think Barovia's forests would be very difficult for Nova Vaasan horses to navigate. Also, Strahd would probably clamp down the poison fog as soon as people tried to enter his country with an eye to invasion.
I can't quite see Harkon joining an alliance to attack Barovia; he got his tail handed to him by Strahd once before, and he's right at Barovia's border with little space to flee. Should Strahd want Harkon dead, he could probably do it by killing off every wolf in Kartakass with alchemically-infused Strahd Zombies.

Azalin might be slightly tempted to lend a helping hand to any alliance that tried to crush Barovia, though.
If we wanted to include some Strahd/Azalin agitation into the situation, this might be one of those times when including the Order of the Ebon Gargoyle might not be such a bad idea. Having them covertly clash with Azalin's Kargat could add some intrigue to our "Core War I".

The Order of the Ebon Gargoyle is also relevant to the Four Towers (or at least Dementlieu) vs. Falkovnia fight in that the Order has an arrangement with the Freemen of Falkovnia. The Order supplies the Freemen with weapons and supplies, and in return, the Freemen smuggle contraband across the Falkovnian border to the Order's agents in Darkon. (Champions of Darkness p.55-56) This arrangement has prevented Josephine Chantreaux (of the Council of Brilliance in Dementlieu) from reaching a partnership with the Freemen, vexing her to no end. (Ravenloft Gaz III p. 29).
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Rock wrote:Soth is gone, though... and everyone knows he is by now. ^_^;
So long as the Blessed Knight roams Sithicus, and people are still afraid to say his name for fear of copyright violations, bringing him back, is Soth really gone?
Last edited by jamesfirecat on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

The Lesser Evil wrote:A few points of interest regarding Nova Vaasa from Gaz V. Kiev Hiregaard, son of Sasha Hiregaard, is already mucking about in Falkovnia trying to overthrow its military dictatorship (Legacy of Blood p.78), so this should play a role in any Vaasan/Falkovnian interactions.

Also, back at home, the Vaasans seem pretty intent on building a road through Tepest into Darkon to join the Strigoi Road. As of 758 there is a build up of troops near the Tepestani border (Gaz V p.37). This could be interpreted as a show of force to make the Tepestani quit their road sabotaging shenanigans. Or it could be in preparation for some kind of invasion. If we are doing a "Core War I" scenario, then I think the latter is a likely event.
According to Gaz 3 there's actually a quite unexpectedly high (you have to cross through at least two other domains to get there) population of Nova Vassan Ex-pats in Richemulot (okay 3% but the only other place that they even get mentioned in that manner is Tepest as part of "1% other (Darkonian, Nova Vassan)", so there are more Nova Vassans living in Richemulot than in Tepest or Barovia!) at the moment.

They may also be in contact with Kiev/ provide his men with supplies/a place to hide if he needs to duck across the boarder to escape from Drakov's armies since he can't magically seal Falkovnia's borders, which in turn could play a part in what angers Darkov/why he decides to focus the Falkovnian armies on Richemulot...
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

jamesfirecat wrote: You've got that right. Azalin would probably be read the news then double check it then go "So wait, the Mercenary and the Bloodsucker are fighting each other? Killing each other's servants off in cartload lots? Hmm... there seems to be something wrong with my face...." "You're smiling my lord."

He'd be only to happy to sit back (possibly even eating a bag of "banged grains" just because it "feels right" even though they end up falling right out his rib cage) and watch those too bleed each other dry (probably a bit more literally on Strahd's side of things) just so he could be sure that they'd both be unable to bother him for a while. Azalin defends Darkon (not that you really need to try hard to "defend" a land where every living casualty friend or foe becomes an undead under your control) but he's seemed to be much more interested in escaping Ravenloft than expanding his territory within it.
If we accept the stipulation that was mentioned at the start of the thread about Malocchio somehow breaking the Vistani curse binding him to Invidia, I would think Azalin would have reason to be interested in him. Way back in the Evil Eye, there are some cryptic references about Malocchio gathering consorts for the Gentleman Caller (p. 57, 59). Since it has been several years since then, Malocchio may switch to tracking down the Children of the Gentleman Caller. And the war could be a way to flush them out. if this is the case, then Azalin will likely want to become involved and subvert the effort for his own ends. And if Strahd gets wind of this, he may want to sabotage it in an effort to prevent another "Grand Conjunction" debacle.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Seeing Aderre as an analogue with Hitler (I know, not perfectly so), he would deal a harsh blow to Borca (as per the plan) and then take the war to the nations nearby holding the bastard Vistani (i.e Barovia and Sithicus). Also recall that Invidia has a very small population with a likewise small army that really is a threat because of Falkovnian troops and other merc groups at hand. The likelihood of overreach is very high and long range incursions of large troops is something that his soldiers have never had to deal with. Also consider Gabrielle's forces working to usurp and disrupt those mass movements and potentially regaining control of Invidia. So that could stop the Dukkar in his tracks right there embroiled in the logistical nightmare of a three pronged counterattack from Barovia, Sithicus, and Borca as well as internal rebels ripping his forces apart.

That's just Invidia.

Now Falkovnia has it's army together better, but would not likely make such massive gains as he did back in the day (old fortifications and battle plans may still be in place). He would gain land and cities along the border easily and encounter great resistance shortly after. Reiner's rats, Borcan assassins and Borrowed Men, and Dementlieu's mental controllers (either of them) would create minor issues that could halt progress enough for the rest of the domains to rally up a defense. Would Drakov avoid Darkon? Bringing in that massive issue may only lead to disaster, but he could avoid the temptation I think.

I just don't see Lamordia being much of threat. Like Invidia, they have small populations and have poor infrastructure to send in military forces to other nations because of their roads and weather creating logistical nightmares. I also don't see Gerta von Aubrecher being the aggressor type (the supplier? Yeah).

But with all that said, the first dominos begin to topple and the West Core becomes a nightmare of chaos and war. Mordent maybe keeps to itself and sends small, highly skilled forces to support allies. The other half (literally) of the Core may seize opportunities as well. Nova Vaasa attempts to seize control of the Old Svalich Road to avoid the taxes and now benefits from them as a likely event and just grabbing Immol because they can. Then Strahd could be drawn into a two front war with Eastern and Western Fronts. Tempest may be safe as the Hiregaards may not be as opportunistic as the rest of the Lords of Nova Vaasa. I am sure other factors and issues are present, just don't have the mental motivation at this time.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

Dark Angel wrote:Seeing Aderre as an analogue with Hitler (I know, not perfectly so), he would deal a harsh blow to Borca (as per the plan) and then take the war to the nations nearby holding the bastard Vistani (i.e Barovia and Sithicus). Also recall that Invidia has a very small population with a likewise small army that really is a threat because of Falkovnian troops and other merc groups at hand. The likelihood of overreach is very high and long range incursions of large troops is something that his soldiers have never had to deal with. Also consider Gabrielle's forces working to usurp and disrupt those mass movements and potentially regaining control of Invidia. So that could stop the Dukkar in his tracks right there embroiled in the logistical nightmare of a three pronged counterattack from Barovia, Sithicus, and Borca as well as internal rebels ripping his forces apart.

That's just Invidia.

Now Falkovnia has it's army together better, but would not likely make such massive gains as he did back in the day (old fortifications and battle plans may still be in place). He would gain land and cities along the border easily and encounter great resistance shortly after. Reiner's rats, Borcan assassins and Borrowed Men, and Dementlieu's mental controllers (either of them) would create minor issues that could halt progress enough for the rest of the domains to rally up a defense. Would Drakov avoid Darkon? Bringing in that massive issue may only lead to disaster, but he could avoid the temptation I think.

I just don't see Lamordia being much of threat. Like Invidia, they have small populations and have poor infrastructure to send in military forces to other nations because of their roads and weather creating logistical nightmares. I also don't see Gerta von Aubrecher being the aggressor type (the supplier? Yeah).

But with all that said, the first dominos begin to topple and the West Core becomes a nightmare of chaos and war. Mordent maybe keeps to itself and sends small, highly skilled forces to support allies. The other half (literally) of the Core may seize opportunities as well. Nova Vaasa attempts to seize control of the Old Svalich Road to avoid the taxes and now benefits from them as a likely event and just grabbing Immol because they can. Then Strahd could be drawn into a two front war with Eastern and Western Fronts. Tempest may be safe as the Hiregaards may not be as opportunistic as the rest of the Lords of Nova Vaasa. I am sure other factors and issues are present, just don't have the mental motivation at this time.
Despite Invidia's oppression so the Vistani, I've always seen Invidia as Italy to Falkovnia's Germany personally.
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

thekristhomas wrote: With Malochio allowing him to leave Falkovnia, Drakov can finally lead his forces into battle against a foreign foe. The border towns fall quickly allowing the Talons to move swiftly to the heart of the domain. When it can have maximum effect, Jacqueline unleashes the Becoming Plague, within a few days, all the Richemulese are infected wererats, as are huge swathes of the Falkovnian military. The Falkovnian rout is absolute, what soldiers do return, return with the Plague, which spreads quickly through the filthy Falkovnian towns. Within a month Falkovnia is all but a region of Richmulot, even if Drakov survives, which is unlikely, the wererats outnumber the humans by a large margin.

So, in this version, Borca is crushed by Invidia, Lamordia takes Dementlieu, and Vlad Drakov gets to see all his allies successfully invade a country before he himself fails and then sees his country destroyed by creatures that he had all but exterminated early in his rule.
Gaz 3 does directly say that she wants maximum saturation as quickly as possible with people not being able to leave the infected area, and even directly mentions a siege as one such situation so yeah, using Vlad's armies as a way to set up exactly the right situation for her to unleash some heavy duty biological warfare sounds just about right.

That said, there's always been parts of the becoming plague that don't quite make sense/Jacqueline may not have thought through.

On the base level, the plague make it so that normal rats can transmit lycanthropy, okay I'll buy that this is magically possible.

From the way it is written however there seems to be an implicit belief that said wererats will then be loyal to her.

Given the tremendous amounts of backstabbing that has happened within the Renier family, I think it's safe to say that unlike the rats and dire rats, Jacqueline doesn't get any magical darklord control over wererats. Or does she get it over infected wererats in rat form but not natural wererats, because infected wererats in rat form, really aren't any smarter than ordinary rats?

Does this mean the becoming plague could be "too successful" if instead of turning people into loyal infected wererats it ended up turning them into free willed natural wererats, though to have it do something like that would take an act of the Dark Powers.... though the Dark Powers intervening to twist a darklords desire's/plans to make them fail at the last moment in some new and unexpected way is hardly unheard of...

If the becoming plague works properly then Lamordia and Invidia's victories will probably be short lived, and we will soon see what was once just one relatively small nation in the Western Core expand greatly as what was once just Richemulot become the United Shapeshifting Servants of Renier (sorry I'm a sucker for an amusing acronym) which rivals Darkon for size.
Last edited by jamesfirecat on Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

I can't imagine Nova Vaasa allying with anyone other than Hazlan, I don't see the Church of the Lawgiver allowing it (YMMV)

That being said I can't see Othmar allowing the (perceived) opportunity for expansion to slip by.

Would Azalin even care if Nova Vaasa attempted to annex the Mountains of Misery? IIRC they've already sent settlers north of the border (I might be completely wrong about that)

The Three Hags would surely attempt to stop invaders, or would they? In the past they've seemed happy to deal with whoever feeds them, so is it possible that a deal might be struck for political control of Tepest? It's not as if they're using it.

If, as I have suggested, Strahd is involved in a war with Invidia for control of Borca, or Strahd is occupied with a war in the west, Othmar might be tempted to try and march into the east. Hazlani forces might come in through Immol, which may by this point be willing to defect, it being suggested that the town has been growing closer to Hazlan for some time. Maybe, if the war in the west is particularly engrossing, Strahd might not notice the encroachment, but once he did surely a quick blast of poison fog would sort that out.

Unless... IIRC Strahds border closure is an extension of Barovia's choking fog, and that already has an antidote in the form of the vistani potion. Now assuming the potion works for border closure as well as the standard version around the village of Barovia, then might it be possible that the Vaasi have been stockpiling the potion over an extended period of time? After all, Vaasi merchants have to purchase the potion regularly in order to trade with the west, it might be a simple enough operation to by one or two extra potions each time. The Vaasi army might have calculated how many potions might make for a viable invasion, assuming that at some point they will find a way to make the fog stop.

Eventually, though, the invasion of Barovia is surely doomed, best case scenario, at some point, somehow Strahd is killed, which gives the Vaasi a few years thinking they've won, while Strahd reforms in some cave, then blam! Strahd drives the invaders out and Barovia is restored. That's a best case scenario, more likely, the stockpiled potions would extend the invasion by a few months.

A more successful target of a Nova Vaasi/Hazlan alliance might be Kartakass. If Lukas has gotten involved with the internal Invidian situation, maybe supplying wolfweres to Gabby then he may have left himself exposed on his eastern flank. The Hazlani mountains that border Lukas' domain would be difficult terrain to navigate, but theoretically the Vaasi forces have plenty of time to get into position. Again though, border closure would be an issue for the invading force, while the Kartakan closure is probably less well know than the choking fog of Barovia, it seems likely that Hazlik would be aware of it. IIRC, though isn't the closure a "soft" one? I think it's a song that makes you wander back into the domain, so I assume that wouldn't prevent an invading force only make logistics difficult.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

jamesfirecat wrote: If the becoming plague works properly then Lamordia and Invidia's victories will probably be short lived, and we will soon see what was once just one relatively small nation in the Western Core expand greatly as what was once just Richemulot become the United Shapeshifting Servants of Renier (sorry I'm a sucker for an amusing acronym) which rivals Darkon for size.
I think it depends on who, if anyone, controls the borders. If the Invidian invasion of Borca has eliminated Ivana, but not Ivan, then potentially that nation would be vunerable. If, however Ivan has also been killed, then there may be a new lord of Borca with the ability to close the borders. I've suggested, that this may, somehow, end up being Strahd, as he kinda has an ancestral claim on Borca. I think it likely, though, that Malochio, instead of killing Ivan, would imprison him, much as he did his mother, for fear of becoming a DL and being trapped again. Strahd might then send assassins against Ivan hoping to usurp control of the domain, but in the meantime the borders would remain open.

I imagine that the Lamordian invasion of Dementlieu would result in the Brain being DL with his sister having political control, so the borders should be closable.

Falkovnia has never been able to close their borders so they're pretty much fudged
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

thekristhomas wrote: The Three Hags would surely attempt to stop invaders, or would they? In the past they've seemed happy to deal with whoever feeds them, so is it possible that a deal might be struck for political control of Tepest? It's not as if they're using it.
Considering that the Three Hags actively fan the flames of the Inquisition's aggressions for the lols, I would think the Three Hags would actually try to agitate and make everything worse for both sides. I see them as some of the Core's greatest trolls (in the figurative sense, not the regenerating giant sense)
jamesfirecat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jamesfirecat »

thekristhomas wrote: I think it depends on who, if anyone, controls the borders. If the Invidian invasion of Borca has eliminated Ivana, but not Ivan, then potentially that nation would be vunerable. If, however Ivan has also been killed, then there may be a new lord of Borca with the ability to close the borders. I've suggested, that this may, somehow, end up being Strahd, as he kinda has an ancestral claim on Borca. I think it likely, though, that Malochio, instead of killing Ivan, would imprison him, much as he did his mother, for fear of becoming a DL and being trapped again. Strahd might then send assassins against Ivan hoping to usurp control of the domain, but in the meantime the borders would remain open.

I imagine that the Lamordian invasion of Dementlieu would result in the Brain being DL with his sister having political control, so the borders should be closable.

Falkovnia has never been able to close their borders so they're pretty much fudged
If Jacqueline and her Rat Life Virus (so called because "becoming plague" is sort of a stupid name honestly also possibly "Black Life" if you want to make the Prototype/Black Death reference more obvious) are so powerful that the only possible defense against them is closing your border so that the rats don't get across that's still makes her the defacto most powerful ruler in the Core/gives her the kind of power over any country she shares a border with that Drakov could only have dreamed of.

For example she could in theory grind down Dementlieu simply by using her rats/the threat of them as a blockade since I'm pretty sure you can't do selective border closes, and force whoever is running that nation to live self sufficient without a chance to import grain (not to mention their greatest supplier of grain (Falkovnia) has been conquered by Jacqueline.

Of course this raises the issue of how does Richemulot handle becoming one of the most powerful domains in the Core, are the people infected or natural wererats, are they some sort of wererats with zombie like devotion to Jacqueline, are they now free thinking wererats but they have still have patriotic devotion to Jacqueline and now see themselves as being the rightful inheritors of the Core, with wererats being superior to humanity....

Granted on the other hand, all that grain that Richemulot just conquered in Falkovnia is also if you're going by the Van Richten guide, useless to them because wererats can only eat meat give or take those ones who have a mutation that lets them eat just ANYTHING you can imagine, so Greater Richemulot would want to trade Falkovnia's grain harvests for oxen, cows, goats, fish, etc with other nations if Jacqueline realizes ahead of time that Core Wide Lycanthropy risks turning into a pyramid scheme/she'll need time to shift Falkovnia's production from making grain to eat, to in turn feeding that grain to cattle/domestic animals of some sort for the wererats to eat.

Luckily also according to Van Richten lycanthropes only need to eat as much as the animal they turn into, so wererats may actually need to eat fewer total calories than a normal human, even if where they can get those calories from is more restricted.

Also granted Jacqueline's solution for the above problem may be "if you are hungry eat each other" but once you give that particular order the ship has sailed on any attempt to portray herself as a benevolent dictator as she previously had been thought of among her human population, though given that Richemulot no longer has a "human" population she may be deciding to just let it all hang out.

It's more fun/interesting (to me at least) if she doesn't go down that particular road and become just as much of an oppressive tyrant who is hated by their own people as Drakov was though.
thekristhomas
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by thekristhomas »

jamesfirecat wrote:
thekristhomas wrote: I think it depends on who, if anyone, controls the borders. If the Invidian invasion of Borca has eliminated Ivana, but not Ivan, then potentially that nation would be vunerable. If, however Ivan has also been killed, then there may be a new lord of Borca with the ability to close the borders. I've suggested, that this may, somehow, end up being Strahd, as he kinda has an ancestral claim on Borca. I think it likely, though, that Malochio, instead of killing Ivan, would imprison him, much as he did his mother, for fear of becoming a DL and being trapped again. Strahd might then send assassins against Ivan hoping to usurp control of the domain, but in the meantime the borders would remain open.

If Jacqueline and her Rat Life Virus (so called because "becoming plague" is sort of a stupid name honestly also possibly "Black Life" if you want to make the Prototype/Black Death reference more obvious) are so powerful that the only possible defense against them is closing your border so that the rats don't get across that's still makes her the defacto most powerful ruler in the Core/gives her the kind of power over any country she shares a border with that Drakov could only have dreamed of.

For example she could in theory grind down Dementlieu simply by using her rats/the threat of them as a blockade since I'm pretty sure you can't do selective border closes, and force whoever is running that nation to live self sufficient without a chance to import grain (not to mention their greatest supplier of grain (Falkovnia) has been conquered by Jacqueline.

Of course this raises the issue of how does Richemulot handle becoming one of the most powerful domains in the Core, are the people infected or natural wererats, are they some sort of wererats with zombie like devotion to Jacqueline, are they now free thinking wererats but they have still have patriotic devotion to Jacqueline and now see themselves as being the rightful inheritors of the Core, with wererats being superior to humanity....

Granted on the other hand, all that grain that Richemulot just conquered in Falkovnia is also if you're going by the Van Richten guide, useless to them because wererats can only eat meat give or take those ones who have a mutation that lets them eat just ANYTHING you can imagine, so Greater Richemulot would want to trade Falkovnia's grain harvests for oxen, cows, goats, fish, etc with other nations if Jacqueline realizes ahead of time that Core Wide Lycanthropy risks turning into a pyramid scheme/she'll need time to shift Falkovnia's production from making grain to eat, to in turn feeding that grain to cattle/domestic animals of some sort for the wererats to eat.

Luckily also according to Van Richten lycanthropes only need to eat as much as the animal they turn into, so wererats may actually need to eat fewer total calories than a normal human, even if where they can get those calories from is more restricted.

Also granted Jacqueline's solution for the above problem may be "if you are hungry eat each other" but once you give that particular order the ship has sailed on any attempt to portray herself as a benevolent dictator as she previously had been thought of among her human population, though given that Richemulot no longer has a "human" population she may be deciding to just let it all hang out.

It's more fun/interesting (to me at least) if she doesn't go down that particular road and become just as much of an oppressive tyrant who is hated by their own people as Drakov was though.
I imagine that the plague is a one-shot kind of deal, once released it's pretty much done, I also figure that it might not affect rats outside the domain (although the wererats infected by the rats would still be infectious). So while not an effective offensive weapon, it is terrifyingly effective defensively and as it's secondary effect provides Jacqueline with an army of infected which can be used offensively.

As to the specific effects, I imagine that it creates infected wererats who are loyal to Jacqueline while in hybrid form. That is only really useful if either, hybrid form is permanent (unlikely) or they all share a trigger, which Jacqueline is in control of. If it is the case that Jacqueline can control transfiguration, might she simply "turn off" the lycanthropy once the crisis had ended?

If the trigger was as specific as a command word (probably not a command word, maybe a pheromone scent?) once the war was won, Jackie could turn everyone back into people, who have no memory of what's occurred, and maybe spin them a yarn about powerful war magic that transformed the nations citizens into berserker warriors who won every battle (this would also explain any lingering memories of mayhem in the minds of the infected) and everything would go back to normal. Except that all the natural wererats of Greater Richemulot now know that Jackie has an army of infected whenever she desires.

If the trigger was so specific as to only work for Jackie then this opens the possibility that if she were killed, then the wererat army might never be triggered again, an entire nation of wererats might live and die without ever knowing they were lycanthropes. That idea amuses me.

I think the wererat dietary requirements would barely be noticed as different, they can meet their requirements in preserved meat, so other than maybe a small increase in the nations consumption of ham it should be fine.