Whispers of the Dark Mother Chapter 1- OOC THREAD

Online roleplaying at the Café
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Whispers of the Dark Mother Chapter 1- OOC THREAD

Post by JMaytr »

This thread is for OOC interactions for players for Whispers of the Dark Mother
. This will be a Pathfinder compatible, fantasy horror adventure beginning at 1st level. Characters can be made using the CORE Pathfinder rule book from Paizo, or the 3.5 PHB from Wizards of the Coast. Races will each have adjustments to them that I will share with players after they are completed. Even humans will have adjustments. I have room for 4 players as I have 1 committed player already.

Note: you must also submit to me a character portrait for your avatar.
"Seven Seals...Seven Rings...Seven Brides for the Scarlet King..."
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Whispers of the Dark Mother Chapter 1- OOC THREAD

Post by JMaytr »

Campaign information: Your PC's are from the small town of Brighton, located in the country of Brynndell. The Queen of Brynndell's son, Prince Wilhem, is also the Lord Mayor of the town.
Here is a map of Brynndell

And here is a map of Brighton

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

How do I sign up? By posting in here?
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

I'm interested!
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Yes, sign up here with a character background and then PM me the character sheet. I will PM you back the specific setting information.

After I have received a couple of characters, I will post the opening scene.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AKoz7gchdio/U ... turian.jpg

Party concept:

A family of warriors, four brothers. Or three, if one has perished in battle.
They could all be fighter class, but there might also have a paladin or ranger in the mix.
Or even a rogue with good STR and shield proficiency. He flanks to support his brothers.
We build them to fight as a team with complimentary feats.

Hmm, or the injured one could be the family/party cleric. When the healer goes down, you gotta run to the Temple of The Holy Toga for help.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Party concept two:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KVMmj3VWme4/S ... mpier1.jpg

Bring the gold!

Three drinking buddies, laborers or tradesmen of the town, who have gotten into adventuring in order to make that sweet, sweet cash.
Working class "heroes"
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

I will play, if there is room.

I even have a character already made!

I will play as Tiberius idon'trememberhislastname a fighter from a far off land seeking adventure, coin and fame! He prefers melee combat over ranged, using either a single weapon and shield or reach weapon.

Jmaytr I will send you a level version of the character, his fighting style will remain the same with only slight alteration. His reach weapon will have the trip ability, so if he were to fail he could drop his weapon rather than being tripped himself. Also this would mean his target wouldn't get an AoO against him but if there are any other enemies adjacent to him they would. A risk but I think it would be worth it!

I will do this when I get home. You are aware of his background, we can remove his brother from it and make other alterations if you wish him to be more local.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

I'm interested in playing a sorceror. I'm looking at the undead bloodline. Not sure which book it's from, but it says it's from Paizo.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-cl ... -bloodline
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

If we are going for the traditional party layout that leaves me with Rogue or Cleric. I can do either. Any preferences Ewan?
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

kintire wrote:If we are going for the traditional party layout that leaves me with Rogue or Cleric. I can do either. Any preferences Ewan?

I could play either class quite happily. I have several partly finished drafts of PCs laying about, so you play what you want to play and I'll fill the gaps.

More important to me than playing any particular class is playing a PC who fits with at least some of the other PCs in terms of background, interests, and personal connections.

I am leery of semi-random assemblages of characters who have no real reason to work together. I think you and I have seen those work in some games I have run or that we've both played in, but we've also seen such loose parties flounder and fall into in-fighting.
Last edited by ewancummins on Thu May 14, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:I will play, if there is room.

I even have a character already made!

I will play as Tiberius idon'trememberhislastname a fighter from a far off land seeking adventure, coin and fame! He prefers melee combat over ranged, using either a single weapon and shield or reach weapon.

Jmaytr I will send you a level version of the character, his fighting style will remain the same with only slight alteration. His reach weapon will have the trip ability, so if he were to fail he could drop his weapon rather than being tripped himself. Also this would mean his target wouldn't get an AoO against him but if there are any other enemies adjacent to him they would. A risk but I think it would be worth it!

I will do this when I get home. You are aware of his background, we can remove his brother from it and make other alterations if you wish him to be more local.
Out of curiosity, what's the brother like?

I prefer PCs with established connections to random guys that met at a bar.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Not sure if I'll be available. But the setting seems interesting and the map is nice. And I want to fight lovecraft stuff. Everyone wants to fight those undefeatable things after all. What are the rules for magic? I would prefer an arcane spellcaster that has had his mind "opened". Mumbles to himself, not really social but loyal to his allies and to forbidden lore. Knows a lot of things, some better left unknown. He seeks to learn more secrets, perhaps even understand alien minded entities of foreboding power. Delving in such things have started to unhinge his mind.

PS. Bryndel seems about half the size of France. :) I wouldn't call it small kingdom.

EDIT: I was thinking on iron will as a feat. Representing a character who is harder to control, horrify, scare, charm or driven (more) mad not because of iron will and training but because his mind is harder to control (doesn't work the usual way) and he's more jaded (through awareness) of the horrors in the world.
For example, learning that there is a creature that can unleash a powerful blast of mind energy to disable its enemies so it could sneak nearby, grapple their heads in its slimy tentacles, penetrate them and feed on their sentient brain like they are coconuts with less care than a chicken butcher kills chicken he wouldn't lose his appetite. He would ask if they crash the head, pierce it or disolve it with the slime. THAT kind of "hero" I have in mind.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Sorcery works great! For those unfamiliar with Pathfinder, its basically D&D 3.5 with some rules updates. So you should be familiar with the magic system.

Thanks for the map love, I made them myself.

Make sure to include a character avatar image with your sheets everyone. They are important.
JMaytr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JMaytr »

Roceater, Tiberius works great. Maybe his brother stayed home instead of adventuring?