Golarionloft (Golarion/Ravenloft) map link

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Golarionloft (Golarion/Ravenloft) map link

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Did anybody see this? Somebody's done a map of a Ravenloft/Golarion crossover.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Map-Golar ... -433983396
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Golarionloft (Golarion/Ravenloft) map link

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

very nicely done! cool!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

LMAO! niiiiiiiice. I'm picturing Hell Knights wandering around Ravenloft now. They definitely could give the Talon's a run for their money I bet. xD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
vyshan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by vyshan »

Cool, not the set up I would use but still pretty cool. A number of nations could easily fit into ravenloft as domains with a few if any adjustments.
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

Damn, well I know what Golarion will look like if I ever get the chance to run that Time of Unparalleled Darkness campaign.
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
DasSoviet
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DasSoviet »

Oh hey, you guys found the map I did up here... along with some of the ideas I blatantly stole from this very site and the lore you all rescued herein.
IrvyneWolfe wrote:Damn, well I know what Golarion will look like if I ever get the chance to run that Time of Unparalleled Darkness campaign.
I actually imagined that the Time of Unparalleled Darkness happened, and Aroden (think Mage-Jesus from Golarion) basically deep sixed himself to push the reset button, setting everything back a century or two with the hope of fixing things... and in doing so pulled some of Golarion into the Mists.
vyshan wrote:Cool, not the set up I would use but still pretty cool. A number of nations could easily fit into ravenloft as domains with a few if any adjustments.
Aye! I tried to keep as much of the Core as possible, while adding in some of the nations I wanted to use (and getting rid of two my biggest Golarion pet peeves: Andoran and Druma). I built it so that I could run as many Pathfinder APs, while also allowing me to throw in some side Ravenloft adventures - for funsies. The only APs I don't think I'd be able to run in Golarionloft is Wrath of the Righteous... and I'm okay with that, 'cause mythic should be reserved for darklords in Ravenloft.

And yeah, I've actually got ideas for whom the darklords of each of the various nations are: Cheliax has Abrogail II (expansionist obsessed with expanding her nation/reclaiming glory, but constantly foiled by decadent nobles), Lastwall has Watcher-Lord Arnisant (who has bound the spirits of saints beneath his cathedral and uses their power to grant divine spells to the followers of Iomedae, who is actually a false god), Ustalav has Tar-Baphon (sealed Lich beneath a tower), Irrisen has Elvanna the White Witch, Numeria has Unity the wannabe god, Berovy has Choral the Conquerer (who swore a pact with dragons to sacrifice his entire family after a 111 years of rule for the chance at being king - he's now a red dragon whose mind contains all the memories of his house), the River Kingdoms have the exiled-and-betrayed fey duchess Nyrissa, Taldor has Gloriana Morilla (noblewoman who controls much of the nobility of Taldor, and seeks to seize the throne from Emperor Stavian III - whom she knows to be a bastard unworthy of the throne, but cannot outmanoeuvre "the Weasel" politically or militarily without destroying Taldor), Qadira has Xerbystes II (warmonger willing to sacrifice everything for a chance at glory, held back by politics), Osirion has Hakotep the Sky-Pharaoh, Katapesh has Jhavhul the Efriti prince, the Mwangi Expanse has the fallen demigod Ydersius, the Shackles has Hurricane King Kerdak Bonefist, and Varisia has... someone whom I haven't quite worked out yet (it's not Xin, but could be any one of the Runelords, or maybe Kazavon or Queen Ileosa of Korvosa...)

So far I've run Carrion Crown and House of Strahd, and am now running Kingmaker and Iron Gods (AI attempts to logic its way over the Dark Powers, with expected results).

Anyhow, if you're interested in seeing some of what I cooked up, you can check out my setting guide for the Land of Mists here. Some aspects of the combined setting are a bit high fantasy (I have one player who refuses to play any non-psionic class, therefor I added material from Ultimate Psionics in; another one has gone out of his way to pick some of the strangest races therefor my 'exotic races' section is far larger than I would like... but since it doesn't really break the game, I'm willing to bend), and it's still an evolving work, but I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out here!
Greetings, Citizens! A reminder: Happiness is mandatory. Those not enjoying themselves shall find themselves terminated.
IrvyneWolfe
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by IrvyneWolfe »

If I ever have a revolution succeed in Falkovnia the domain will more or less be a more German version of Galt.

On a more personal note my players did the Kingmaker AP before our current RL game. They would be SO angry if Nyrissa somehow survived her beheading by our Dwarf Cleric of Gorum.
"...Well that just happened." - Nora, upon failing her first powers check.
DasSoviet
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by DasSoviet »

IrvyneWolfe wrote:On a more personal note my players did the Kingmaker AP before our current RL game. They would be SO angry if Nyrissa somehow survived her beheading by our Dwarf Cleric of Gorum.
I'm including Kobold Press' Tales from the Old Margreve in my Kingmaker. In the Tales, the Margreve has two "hearts": a shadow heart and an enchantment/illusion heart. Nyrissa is involved in creating the legendary third heart: a necromantic heart.

Zombie fey forest.

Yes.
Greetings, Citizens! A reminder: Happiness is mandatory. Those not enjoying themselves shall find themselves terminated.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Zilfer wrote:LMAO! niiiiiiiice. I'm picturing Hell Knights wandering around Ravenloft now. They definitely could give the Talon's a run for their money I bet. xD
A Hellknight domain would be rather cool.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

DasSoviet wrote:
Aye! I tried to keep as much of the Core as possible, while adding in some of the nations I wanted to use (and getting rid of two my biggest Golarion pet peeves: Andoran and Druma).
My only issue with deepsixing Aldoran is that Darkmoon Veil is one of THE best places to insert into Ravenloft. (not that you really have to keep the rest of Andoran to have it though.) I also saw some potential in the Lumber Consortium for playing up an element of hypocrisy and corruption in a otherwise (superficially?) happy place. The Lumber Consortium would make for a good extension of the corporations in Nosos.

And yeah, I've actually got ideas for whom the darklords of each of the various nations are: Cheliax has Abrogail II (expansionist obsessed with expanding her nation/reclaiming glory, but constantly foiled by decadent nobles), Lastwall has Watcher-Lord Arnisant (who has bound the spirits of saints beneath his cathedral and uses their power to grant divine spells to the followers of Iomedae, who is actually a false god), Ustalav has Tar-Baphon (sealed Lich beneath a tower), Irrisen has Elvanna the White Witch, Numeria has Unity the wannabe god, Berovy has Choral the Conquerer (who swore a pact with dragons to sacrifice his entire family after a 111 years of rule for the chance at being king - he's now a red dragon whose mind contains all the memories of his house), the River Kingdoms have the exiled-and-betrayed fey duchess Nyrissa, Taldor has Gloriana Morilla (noblewoman who controls much of the nobility of Taldor, and seeks to seize the throne from Emperor Stavian III - whom she knows to be a bastard unworthy of the throne, but cannot outmanoeuvre "the Weasel" politically or militarily without destroying Taldor), Qadira has Xerbystes II (warmonger willing to sacrifice everything for a chance at glory, held back by politics), Osirion has Hakotep the Sky-Pharaoh, Katapesh has Jhavhul the Efriti prince, the Mwangi Expanse has the fallen demigod Ydersius, the Shackles has Hurricane King Kerdak Bonefist, and Varisia has... someone whom I haven't quite worked out yet (it's not Xin, but could be any one of the Runelords, or maybe Kazavon or Queen Ileosa of Korvosa...)
Kazavon/Queen Illeosa would be my best bet, as she (they?) have done enough terrible things to warrant it. OTOH, that would screw up her plan to leave Korvosa once she was done with it, and you'd need to adjust the plot.

You could also have it like Liffe with a bunch of demilords ruling over their territories/city states.
vyshan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by vyshan »

For me, I both dislike and like Golarian. I dislike it because it is a hogpodge setting where pirates are over there, go there for ninjas, go there for perfect america, go there for revolutionary france. It feels disjointed and not chosheive, in contrast to ravenloft. On the other hand some of the lands the come up with are awesome, cheliax, Irrision, and so on.

I will admit if I did use Cheliax I would likey tune down the obvious devilish stuff and make that more hidden. Yes they worship Asmodeus but, devils nor lots of magic have to be seen. but then again ravenloft doesn't work that well with high magic IMO
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

vyshan wrote:For me, I both dislike and like Golarian. I dislike it because it is a hogpodge setting where pirates are over there, go there for ninjas, go there for perfect america, go there for revolutionary france. It feels disjointed and not chosheive, in contrast to ravenloft. On the other hand some of the lands the come up with are awesome, cheliax, Irrision, and so on.

I will admit if I did use Cheliax I would likey tune down the obvious devilish stuff and make that more hidden. Yes they worship Asmodeus but, devils nor lots of magic have to be seen. but then again ravenloft doesn't work that well with high magic IMO
It's ironic, because I feel Ravenloft is even more of a hodgepodge patchwork setting than Golarion. The Core alone is riddled with lands and false histories that sometimes have very little to do with each other, and new domains pop into the core several times over a century, but few people seem to bat an eye. Even within a domain you can have very anachronistic mash ups- before Necropolis, the cultural level varied from Iron Ages to Chivalric, a span of hundreds of years that eclipses the examples you mentioned above. Falknovia is a 20th century fascist regime right down to the identity paper check points, but in a medievalesque facade. And we have late 19th century/early 20th century psychiatry in otherwise medieval domains.

I don't feel that Ravenloft is that cohesive a world at all. You have the Mists separating the lands and the Dark Powers as a persistent causal explanation for everything incongruous. Domains that shouldn't be able to exist under the conditions they do- surrounded by mists without any sort of trade- compensated for by narrative fiat through the will of the Dark Powers or even the darklords themselves. Nidala doesn't suffer from an overabundance of pests due to the overeradication of predators simply due to Faith-hold's will without further explanation, for example. Not that I'm necessarily complaining, as I'm sure Ravenloft and Golarion were fairly modularly developed for similar reasons- you can take what you want for a given adventure, and discard what you want without oo much trouble.