Birthright 2: Promises to Keep

Online roleplaying at the Café
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright 2: Promises to Keep

Post by Adam »

PENCHALLIN

Cormac points with the light arrow at the collapsed tunnel. "Tha' tunnel leads to the elves?" he says. He gives the knocker a toothy grin. "Ye know, they could always dig it back out again later, an' ye'd be right back where ye started. But, if ye an' yers could see fit to open it up an' let me an' mine go through, maybe we could see to it the elves don't bother ye again."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:PENCHALLIN

Cormac points with the light arrow at the collapsed tunnel. "Tha' tunnel leads to the elves?" he says. He gives the knocker a toothy grin. "Ye know, they could always dig it back out again later, an' ye'd be right back where ye started. But, if ye an' yers could see fit to open it up an' let me an' mine go through, maybe we could see to it the elves don't bother ye again."

The knocker scratches its scaly snout, sniffs, and says (in thick-accented Elvish)
''Okay, you let me look for the others and I'll tell them that. Elves are our enemies. I think the others will want you to go kill them."
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

PENCHALLIN, TUNNEL
ewancummins wrote:
The knocker scratches its scaly snout, sniffs, and says (in thick-accented Elvish)
''Okay, you let me look for the others and I'll tell them that. Elves are our enemies. I think the others will want you to go kill them."
"Yes, we are here to kill elves, creature. But that does not mean me and mine wont slaughter the lot of you and burn out your little hole in the ground if you betray us," Roald says in near-fluent Elvish.

He pulls the creature closer to him. "There are monsters in your home. Best that you let them leave in peace."

He drops the rope to let the creature leave.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Cormac nods, though frowning somewhat as the Knocker is being threatened. Regardless, once the creature is out of site, he hands his lit arrow to one of his compatriots and turns back towards the entrance. "I'm goin' ta send one of my men back to the rest of our group. They need to know about this in case we don' make it back."
"Of course," Benn mutters, "It would be a damned shame if we ever knew what the hell was actually going on."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

Though Renn doesn't speak elvish, he gets the gist of Roald's threat to the goblin, and he gives the little beast a cold smile.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

The Kitchen

Filbert just nods and remains silent hoping Duke Devlin and the others come to save them fast.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana comes up swiftly behind the Duke and examines the hedge closely.

"You can't trust anything you see in this place. Maybe we should look for tracks? Or maybe I can make something of the magics here..."
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE MINE DEVILS’ LAIR
The released mine devil scurries into one of the small side holes.

Cormac returns from the tunnel mouth (after having spoken with his men).
The small party waits.

After a few minutes’ waiting-time, the party hears scraping and bumping from the small tunnel where the mine devil left the chamber.
The thing’s thin, squeaking voice calls out in Elvish,
“I brought help. Coming out now.”
Something clicks several times, like stone on metal.
A light flashes deeper in the hole.
A jug rolls out of the hole, trailing smoke!
The explorers have just enough time to jump back as the oil-bomb explodes, splattering the chamber with burning liquid.
The dry supports and the rags in the room burst into flames.

HEDGE MAZE IN THE GARDEN OF DARKLING DELIGHTS

Safana finds no tracks.

The huge Gunnar-child points over the tops of the tall hedges, at something neither Safana nor Devlin can see because the plants rise too high for them to look over.
He says,
“House….smoke.”
The big green toddler walks into the maze, brushing and crushing foliage to either side as he pushes deeper.

Devlin follows with his sword at the ready. The duke glances sideways, ahead, and backward, scanning for traps and ambushes.
Last edited by ewancummins on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

THE KITCHEN

Ugo delays finishing the soup by hiding a few key ingredients, and turns his attentions to shopping of some old sausages and cheese for sandwiches.

Through the door, both Halflings hear hammering noises. Not from things striking against the outside of the kitchen door, though, but from further off, muffled and distant.

Ugo turns to the oven and pulls the bread out before it singes.
No honey to make it sweet, but the fresh loaves smell good.

Something scratches on the door.
A harsh voice shouts through the panel,
"Slave! We hunger. When will our food be ready?"

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

Penchallin

"Should have known," growls Cormac, falling back from the tunnel. He readies his bow and arrow to fire at any knockers that come through the conflagration.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Adam wrote:Penchallin

"Should have known," growls Cormac, falling back from the tunnel. He readies his bow and arrow to fire at any knockers that come through the conflagration.

The smoke gets in his eyes, making them water, but Cormac looks anyway.
No knockers in sight, just the support beams-- dry branches-- and rag cloth burning.

Renn was right about the risk of fire.
The clay in the earthen walls must have kept the winter precipitation out of this place. But the druid hasn't got a lot of time to contemplate such matters, as the smoke is getting thicker down here.

Adam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Adam »

"Run for it!" shouts Cormac, "Everybody out!"

He turns and bolts for the exit.
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

PENCHALLIN, MINE

"You can't trust anyone these days," Roald says, turning to flee the fire.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
kintire
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by kintire »

Safana follows close behind, shimmering a little as she moves behind them.

"Beware of disguises... I think these things are Ghuls. They look human when they wish, but they are corpse eaters. We had better find the others fast..."
Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

"Should have burned the damned thing down ourselves when he had the chance," Renn says, feeling the sting of smoke in the back of his throat. He wastes no time in retreating with the others.
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights