Quoth the Raven # 21

Discussing all things Ravenloft
DarkCrusader
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Quoth the Raven # 21

Post by DarkCrusader »

In regards to the scalies artical, I would have given the narrator a different background and voice. Have him be lower born, and more passionate (aka vengeful). The corrections could have been him struggling to fit the more scholastic tone he thinks the Weathermay twins want. "Stinking scaley son of a..." *crosses out* "Scalies like to sneak up on you." Something like that.

The article could have been easily extended by fleshing out their society or personalities more. While I'm not saying making them full on Deep Ones would have been a good idea (that would require some dramatic rewriting), some inspiration could have been there. For example, assume that the reavers have access to treasures from the deep. Stuff from sunken ships are the obvious choice, though for extra creep factor they can be from an entirely unknown civilization. Then assume they use these treasures to reward cultists, pay guards to look the other way during raids or just as bait.

Another meta way of doing it, is having a section where you discuss themes with reavers. Ghosts had history and tragedy, the ancient dead had trespass, etc. You could also have had a sample hunt. However, all of this is fluff. The Van Richten hunt in particular, gets pretty redundant for anyone who has read more than one Van Ritchen's Guide. Just as well to leave those out.

I don't think we need a super long article mind you. I was very pleased that your article was short. Just trying to offer some feedback.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Thank you for the feedback :)
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

DarkCrusader wrote:I did want to ask if it would be appropriate to start a "Fey Lost" thread. I'm eager for feedback on my little contribution and would love to talk about it. However, I didn't know if that would be considered gauche or begging for compliments.
Here, I'll spare you the ethical quandary and start one for you: http://fraternityofshadows.com/forum/vi ... f=1&t=9127

(anyone who wants to discuss any of the articles in-depth, whether it be their own or others', feel free to start a thread with the subject "[QTR21] <article name> Discussion")
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Keep up the good work, guys. :) Hope Stephen keeps around, though.
- Can you believe it?! Even me, the spring chicken, is around for 10 years, already.

What a long road this has been. May it go on ahead for a long while more! :lucas:
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Le Noir Faineant wrote:Keep up the good work, guys. :) Hope Stephen keeps around, though.
- Can you believe it?! Even me, the spring chicken, is around for 10 years, already.

What a long road this has been. May it go on ahead for a long while more! :lucas:
Hey man, that just means you're old now :P
Nevermorrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Nevermorrow »

I loved this issue. My favorite parts were the examination of Barovian culture and the expanded description of Pharazia. Finally, a developed Middle Eastern culture for RL! However, I have a question.

Kamarn-Quse? I've never heard of this place.
Formerly known as SpiritCaller.
Yaoi Huntress Earth
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Yaoi Huntress Earth »

This was a really interesting thing you did with Diamabel by making him a more ambiguous figure. I can understand why you didn't go with the messiah complex version (though I liked the idea.)
I'm a deviant: yaoi-huntress-earth.deviantart.com
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

SpiritCaller wrote:Kamarn-Quse? I've never heard of this place.
I believe NeoTiamat made it up, originally for his Eye of Anubis campaign.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Nevermorrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Nevermorrow »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
SpiritCaller wrote:Kamarn-Quse? I've never heard of this place.
I believe NeoTiamat made it up, originally for his Eye of Anubis campaign.
Ah, okay. Thanks :)
Formerly known as SpiritCaller.