Silent Hills - Silent Hill 9

Books, movies, television and everything else
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Silent Hills - Silent Hill 9

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

On a lark I checked the Silent Hill wiki and discovered that there's a new installment in the main series--not the spin-offs--in production: Silent Hills. Unfortunately not much is known beyond a trailer and the fact that Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear Solid is the designer along Guillermo del Toro. Norman Reedus, who plays Daryl in The Walking Dead, will be the voice of the main character.

I'm the first to admit the Silent Hill franchise has not been living up to expectations for the last few installments. I could go into details but many of my own complaints are shared by others and summed up neatly on other sites. The franchise has a lot of potential but we've not seen it used. From Silent Hill: Origins, 1, and 3, we've gotten the full story of Alessa and what the Order did to her and why. Silent Hill 2, The Room, Homecoming, and Downpour did reveal more about the town and the Order, but there are still countless questions that have not been answered that would make for some truly terrifying games.

Unfortunately there's so little to go on right now it's hard to say what the story of Silent Hills is, much less anything in terms of mechanics. Perhaps the only clue is in the trailer I saw, where a man is talking about his father "being the same, doing the same things, and killing him with boredom." Only he comes back and is bringing "new toys" with him. Make of it what you will.

There's also an "interactive trailer" for download from the PlayStation Network (and maybe other places) but I only just heard about it so I haven't sampled it yet. Personally, I'm not holding my breath on this. Given how poorly they handled Downpour--scary is not what I'd call it; frustrating and repetitive is more accurate--I'm not holding my breath.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Silent Hills - Silent Hill 9

Post by Zilfer »

I actually liked downpour. A fan of the series as I think I've said in other topics. My favorite still by far is SH 2, never played number 1 but I've watched it played on a Let's Play. Not too bad, however 2 remains my favorite for some reason. I've also playing homecoming which I liked but i'm too good at "action" games for it to be scary, I can literally fight the monsters as if I was playing a fantasy game and with arguably the weakest weapon (the knife) yet the best weapon for fighting.

I'm excited to hear this news and will have to research it online some more to find out more. As for Downpour they got the not being able to kick everything's ass bit right even though after awhile you still get good at the mechanic's that you hardly get hit. Side quests entertained me as well and wouldn't mind seeing it in this rendition. The story's twist at the end was an interesting way to go however I feel many people probably didn't enjoy it as much as me.

I will say the last few have made me jump a lot less than say the recent "OUTLAST" game which actually got me quiet a bit. Though I admittly hate games that don't give you at least a medicore way of fighting back, I did enjoy that weaponless game. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Off-topic, I know, but GameInformer magazine has released their "25 Top Horror Games," with SH2 coming in at #2, just behind Resident Evil REMake (being remade again for ultra-HD download for PC and next-gen consoles). The original Silent Hill itself didn't make the cut, though it did get an honorable mention. There were several other games board members might be familiar with (Blood, Eternal Darkness, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, the list goes on). Good Old Games and Steam have several of the older PC games (and some newer ones) available for direct download.

Sadly no new info on Silent Hills in this month's issue. Other than it's a PS4 exclusive for now and will be released on other consoles and PC at a time "To Be Determined." Translated, "We [the developers] have no clue."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Grr.... irks me a little^ I guess i'll just have to wait a bit longer to get the game is all. Always hopefully it will be off my radar and it sneaks up on me. :)

Furthermore! I have no mouth but I must scream.... isn't that a story? about people living in a computer or altered reality where it can manipulate everything.... and the ending is where the title comes from yes?

High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Zilfer wrote:Furthermore! I have no mouth but I must scream.... isn't that a story? about people living in a computer or altered reality where it can manipulate everything.... and the ending is where the title comes from yes?
It might be a story, but it's also an old SVGA computer game. I haven't downloaded it. I've been a bit busy trying to get some things done on WoW (bought that instant boost to level 90; not worth it IMO, unless you do it at level 85 when heirloom gear is rendered moot) and some health issues--again. :x
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:
Zilfer wrote:Furthermore! I have no mouth but I must scream.... isn't that a story? about people living in a computer or altered reality where it can manipulate everything.... and the ending is where the title comes from yes?
It might be a story, but it's also an old SVGA computer game. I haven't downloaded it. I've been a bit busy trying to get some things done on WoW (bought that instant boost to level 90; not worth it IMO, unless you do it at level 85 when heirloom gear is rendered moot) and some health issues--again. :x
sorry to hear that but I swear that was an old story.... hold on i'll try and see if I can scower and find that sucker on the internet might be very obscure by now.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_No_ ... ust_Scream

There you go, it was a short story before it was a game. I must say I read and enjoyed it for the most part though it's not quiet a usual read for me. XD