Excited for 5E

Discussing all things Ravenloft
nothri
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Excited for 5E

Post by nothri »

Guys, I....I have this strange feeling welling up inside me! I think...I think I'm actually looking forward to a recent edition of D&D!

In picked up the player's handbook for 5E. I didn't expect much. And in not expecting much, I was fairly well blown away! In stark contrast to 4th edition, my perusal of fifth makes my ability to adapt the setting to ravenloft refreshingly simple with but a few exceptions (I'm gently going to push the Dragonborn out of the setting, and tone down the Tieflings racial characteristics to a dull roar). The classes are extremely adaptable in my opinion. Each has a series of "subclasses" introduced with their own unique flavor (bards have "colleges", Monks have "Ways", Paladins have "Oaths", etc). Not only are some of these subclasses strikingly useful to the setting (The Paladin Oath of Vengeance suits the Shadowborn Cluster's secret society The Circle so well I wonder if someone didn't introduce it specifically with them in mind), but it is simplicity itself to add more into the setting. It is, in other words, an elegant way to handle the glut of prestige classes and kits that span so many old editions. Want to play an anchorite. Adapt a "Mist Domain" to the cleric class, put down the appropriate "Shield of Ezra" and "Mist Walking" as the unique powers, and BOOM! Good to go. It would require a little more forethought, but I can see a Monk with the "Way of Alchemical Purity" walking around Paridon as well.

Sorry to gush. I'm just really liking this so far. I'm actually enjoying the prospect of gaming in this edition. Its a feeling I've been missing, so I had to share.
I'm just a ghost in this house.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Excited for 5E

Post by alhoon »

I'm excited for 5th edition too.
In case anyone remembers, I have said since 2007 that 5th edition would be the best for D&D. :)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

Agreed!! :D 5E sounds like the best edition ever!
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

I have to agree. I've basically been ignoring the playtest and build up to 5e out of lack of real interest. It was a big surprise to pick up the book and see a quick, easy and adaptable system. I'm really excited to get a campaign started, though it probably won't be for quite some time. I'm finishing up a different campaign next week and then the GM chair goes to someone else in my group.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".