Van Helsing (Yes, indeed, there may be spoilers...)

Books, movies, television and everything else

Yay or Nay to van Helsing?

Yay!
55%
Nay...
45%

Total votes: 33

ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

From what I heard, he is supposed to be Gabriel, though I think that's a pretty lame thing to insert. I mean, sure he kills monsters, but he's not quite the right hand of God - more like the hunchbacked assassin that God wouldn't be caught dead speaking to.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

I'm not sure if he's an angel or not, though his real name (in the movie) appears to have been Gabriel. Either way, he was damned for causing Dracula's first death (as I understand the plot).
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
ScS of the Fraternity

Hell Labs: Ironic Punishment Division

So, Gabriel, you like to kill monsters do you? Well then, kill all the monsters in the world!
Evil Reigns!!!!
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

"I don't get it. Jack the Ripper broke down after only two hours." :?
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

Reginald de Curry wrote:I'm not sure if he's an angel or not, though his real name (in the movie) appears to have been Gabriel. Either way, he was damned for causing Dracula's first death (as I understand the plot).
Hmm... must have missed that part. I don't remember the statement about the "Right Hand of God" having caused Dracula's first death... but it makes for an interesting story.

And instead of just an ironic punishment, maybe he gets to go back home after he does in fact "kill all the monsters in the world"... a quest for redemption, always with "one wing dipped in blood" (to quote another movie about angels)?

*shrug*

I think I read on some news website that the director had changed the name from Abraham to Gabriel just because he didn't think "Abraham" was a macho-enough sounding name. Could be wrong, though.

Anyway, if he IS the angel, it might have made for a nice scene to have that stuffy cardinal he made confession to at the beginning of the movie find out in some spectacular fashion. Him, and Friar Karl, of course.
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
ScS of the Fraternity

Truth be told, I doubt that a cardinal, let alone one in charge of a secret occult agency, would be very shaken by it. If anything, he'd probably rub Helsing's nose into it, perhaps taking it as a sign that God wants him to boss important people around.

On the note of names, I find it strange that the director thought that Gabby, a name most commonly associated with irritating blondes, is more butch than Abe.

...Then again, as everyone who's seen the movie can testify that the director has some serious problems.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote: On the note of names, I find it strange that the director thought that Gabby, a name most commonly associated with irritating blondes, is more butch than Abe.

...Then again, as everyone who's seen the movie can testify that the director has some serious problems.
Hmmmmm......
*fantasizes about Callisto*
"Wrong irrating blonde!"
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Let none blastheme against the divine Callisto, for a while she was the only reason I watched Xena :P

On the Gabriel Van Helsing is the Arch Angel debate, it is worth noting that for a time after Lucifer entered the Bible, Gabriel was one of the angels that took his side in the Holy War, resulting him him, Lucifer and others being cast out. Gabriel later repented and was allowed entrance into Heaven once more. The Prophesy movies picked up on this idea.
Swallow your soul!
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

Pretty sure Van Helsing is supposed to be a Fallen Gabriel, serving some penace. And he was referred to as the LEFT Hand of God in the movie, not the right...I guess Michael is the Right Hand?
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Let none blastheme against the divine Callisto, for a while she was the only reason I watched Xena :P

On the Gabriel Van Helsing is the Arch Angel debate, it is worth noting that for a time after Lucifer entered the Bible, Gabriel was one of the angels that took his side in the Holy War, resulting him him, Lucifer and others being cast out. Gabriel later repented and was allowed entrance into Heaven once more. The Prophesy movies picked up on this idea.
I remember this from The Prophecy and The Prophecy II... do you have another source for this info?
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:On the Gabriel Van Helsing is the Arch Angel debate, it is worth noting that for a time after Lucifer entered the Bible, Gabriel was one of the angels that took his side in the Holy War, resulting him him, Lucifer and others being cast out. Gabriel later repented and was allowed entrance into Heaven once more. The Prophesy movies picked up on this idea.
Is this from one of the Apocrypha? If so, it's "non-canon". Of course, Gabriel/Jibril and Lucifer/Iblis both feature in Islam as well as Christianity.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

AdamGarou wrote:I remember this from The Prophecy and The Prophecy II... do you have another source for this info?
It is mentioned in some very old copies of the bible, I once managed to get hold of some modern translations while loking about at different religions after I left all religion behind. Though I didn't believe in religion for myself, I was still interested in how they evolved and the differences between religions. If I had copies the translations myself or the time to track them down and have portions copied, I would send them along to you.

I forget which exact book mentioned it though.
Swallow your soul!