Layout of Quoth the Raven

Discussions on the Fraternity netbooks

Would you say that Quoth the Raven is a professional looking netbook?

Yes, its very good
67%
No, its very unprofessional
13%
Does this mean your going to start charging for it? 'Cause I won't pay!
20%

Total votes: 15

ScS of the Fraternity

Layout of Quoth the Raven

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Hi everyone,

Quoth the Raven Issue 9 is just begining to come togther. Right now I'm looking at possible changes to the format of the netzine, and I was wondering what suggestions were out there.

One thing I'm looking at changing is the border. Right now we use a red border around very page. I was wondering if the border should be removed.

Other than that, we have other issues such as the page margines, the fonts used, the size of the fonts and anything else someone can think of.

Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

Be brutal ;)
Evil Reigns!!!!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I vopted that it looked professional. Those thinking we will start charging for it need their heads screwed on, we are as likely to start charging as the Kargatane were from what I knowm which means we have never discussed it.

This conmes from yuor regular soucres, which is me, Wiccy, who always tells the truth unless Dru ltells me otherwise (which has yet to happen).
Swallow your soul!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Having been one of the editors from the first issue, I will admit that I am somewhat biased towards the layout of Quoth the Raven. While there are areas that could still use some improvement, I think that the issues reflect a certain professional level to them (which isn't bad for a fanbased creation). To delve into specific points, however, I would say the following:

Font Color: While I realize that black, white, and dark red are typical of most Ravenloft products, there doesn't seem to be much of a need to change it. A different color scheme would differentiate QtR from other netbooks, but I think that the writings are distinct and good enough to separate it from the rest. We needn't change colors just for that.

Font Style: I like the use of Nosferatu and Times New Romen fonts in the netzine. Using four or more font styles seems to actually take away from the professionalism of the product than add to it. The fact that the articles are cluttered with a lot of different styles also makes it easier to read.

Font Size: Not much to comment on hear. I like the fact that all the articles are in a font size 12, and titles and headers are slightly bigger. While someone can squeeze more material into a page with a smaller font, I don't like having to squint to read small writing. We don't do this...

Borders: Take them or leave them. I think the borders give the netzine a higher quality look to each of the pages, but they don't add very much. The reason I enjoy them the most is probably because they add a bit more design and color to each page.

Columns: I like the two column system for the netzine. Except for the short fiction, the two columns give the netzine more of a magazine look and feel. We tried a three column approach in issue one, and it failed miserably. Therefore, I would cast my vote to keep two columns.

Page Margins: I don't have any problems with the page margins. Then again, I don't punch holes for binder purposes. This area might be more of a problem for other people.

Categories: We spread the fiction throughout the netzines, which keeps them from all being read in one spot. The other articles seem to be well dispersed through the rest of the issue. With people diviating from the issues' themes, I like the fact that these articles be added after the other material (i.e. we can read the themed articles together and then read through the other ones). I also like having Masque of the Red Death as a section after all the Ravenloft articles.

I probably could go into more detail as well as listing other categories, but there isn't much need for me to express my opinions. We need the rest of you to give us your opinions and feedback so that we can make sure that our issues meet your expectations. Please make sure to take some time to share them with us.

Jason
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Jason summed it up pretty well there and I can't really add much to that. I can say that the three column format really didn't work, especially for the Celtic Banshee article I submitted to issue 1. The article was put into 3 columns and the rest of the article wasn't reformatted and even if it was, it would have required a much smaller font size to make it more readable.

As I said before though, I like the format of QtR, I like the somewhat standardised format of Ravenloft netbooks as a whole, it has a uniformity and trust me, there are some terribly formatted netbooks out there (such as those who used Notepad, or perhaps Word 98 and then used spaces instead of tabulations and indents to space work).
Swallow your soul!
Xanthippe
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Xanthippe »

Well, a bit of feedback:

Borders: Definitely keep. Besides giving the 'zine a professional air, it breaks up the pages in an electronic format, and makes it more magazine-like, rather than honking huge Word file that goes on endlessly and endlessly...

And my one and only gripe:
The picture on the front. I REALLY liked the pen-and-ink looking drawings on earlier additions. I'm not so much a fan of the real-picture look. Perhaps an artist might be willing to draw new cover art, covering that issue's theme, and also working in a raven? If not, I'd like to see drawings come back and photos go out.

Thanks!
[size=84]"Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain." -Friedrich Schiller[/size]
Bela
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Bela »

Personally, I really like the format. The two-column stylee works realy well, and keeps things easy enough to read. I'd like it if the font were just a smidge bigger, but that's because my eyesight blows. Curse of being an old man.

Also, I agree with Xanthippe. I think you guys could really do something with the cover art. I'm sure there's plenty of artists floating around this site who'd gladly lend their support.

Other than that, I really love the way QtR is layed out, and would hope to see it remain as it is.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Ifthe raven artwork I did for a college project years ago hadn't bee nstolen, I'd submit those to the covers. They were more symbolic and absract though than fine art.
Swallow your soul!
ScS of the Fraternity

Jee, I never would have imagined.

Myself, I've always had a soft spot for good photos.

In fact, you can preview the next cover for Quoth the Raven right here.

www.fraternityofshadows.com/don'tgointothewater.htm
Evil Reigns!!!!
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Niiiiiiiiice....
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Cool pic indeed !

Joël
ScS of the Fraternity

Now, here is an idea that I'd like to float out;

For this issue, what if we replaced the traditional dark red with a dark blue? Everything that is normally red would be turned the same dark blue as the lettering in "Don't Go into the Water". The borders and the titles would be blue, ect....
Evil Reigns!!!!
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sounds like that would work better with the USS. As an alternative, you could fill in text boxes with lighter shades of blue instead of grey.

Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Now, here is an idea that I'd like to float out; For this issue, what if we replaced the traditional dark red with a dark blue? The borders and the titles would be blue, ect....
Ugh, I cannot believe that it has taken me this long to notice that horrendous pun... :x Anyway, I think that I would need to see the color change to truly apprecaite it. The dark red has worked well for us in the past, but I would be willing to be adventurous and try something different and see how everyone else responds to it.
Reginald de Curry wrote:Sounds like that would work better with the USS.
Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing the USS using this darker sahde of blue as well. While I really like the blue coloration for the Undead Sea Scrolls, the lighter blue doesn't tend to look quite right to me. I think that this slightly darker version would stand out against the white background better and make the issue look a lot sharper in general.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
ScS of the Fraternity

Oke-doke,

A test of the blue colour scheme can be seen at the following link.

www.fraternityofshadows.com/don'tgointothewater.htm

Any thoughts?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Whoops
Unable to view this file (GP)

Update: I can view it now.
Last edited by Reginald de Curry on Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.