Disney in the Mists

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Disney in the Mists

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hello!

Actually, I think Disney's Brave would make an awesome Ravenloftian scenario, with the right adjustments.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Mor%27du
Mor'du was once a human prince, the eldest of four brothers, all the sons of a wise king beloved by his people. The youngest brother was wise, the third brother was compassionate; the second brother was just, and the eldest brother, Mor'du, was strong, but he mistook great strength for character.

One dark autumn, the king grew ill. On his death-bed, the king requested the kingdom be divided among his four sons, so together they could be the pillars that would hold it together and maintain peace.

Alas, the first brother felt that, as the eldest and the technical heir, he alone had the right to rule the whole kingdom and a seed of selfishness grew in him like a poison.

To his brothers he claimed his right to rule and demanded their obediance, shattering the bonds of their brotherhood by breaking the family stone.

Words turned to war. Brother turned against brother in a war fought on four sides that changed the kingdom forever. While the eldest prince commanded a powerful army, the battle remained a bitter stalemate.

Starving for victory, the prince cursed his fate and stalked the woods until he came to an ancient circle of stones.
The Will-o-the-wisps appeared and led him to a dark loch where, not far from the shore, was the cottage of a witch. He demanded from her a spell that could change his fate.

The strength of ten men he desired, and to persuade her he offered his signet ring. The bargain was struck though the Witch could see his wounded soul. She completed the spell in the form of a potion but offered him a choice: To fulfill his dark wish or heal the bonds of family he had broken.

The prince baited his brothers with the false promise of truce, but when they met in their father's throneroom he once again declared himself the sole ruler and demanded their obedience.

When his brothers defied him again, he drank the spell, which immediately took effect. To his surprise however, it transformed him into a great black bear. Only by mending the bonds torn by pride could he break the spell. Instead he accepted the form of the monster and slew his brothers in cold blood.

He returned to command his army but they saw only the dreaded beast and so turned against him. He slaughtered a great many while the rest fled the kingdom in terror.

With the armies of the brothers fractured the kingdom fell to darkness and ruin, and the blight of the Great Black, Mor'du, fell across his domain.

Desiring power for over the bonds of family, Mor'du had changed his fate for the worst, doomed to wander endlessly, his soul forever buried in this scarred and tormented shell.
That's about as Ravenloft-y as it gets, I think. :lucas:
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Oh, if we're including Disney TV shows not linked to the movies: Gargoyles. Gargoyles, Gargoyles, Gargoyles.

A wealthy (and shady) Dementlieuse noble pays for an expedition to unearth some Forfaran ruins and transport the monstrous sculptures found there to Port-a-Lucine, where they are installed as decorations on the Cathedral, but when night falls, they transform into living creatures who now protect the city, while remaining in hiding from the frightened populace...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
De Montour
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by De Montour »

@ Le Noir Faireant

Agreed, whole heartedly. I posted about this a little further down the page, in the 'Bravenloft' thread. It's a fantastic story and probably the most Ravenlofty(?) :lucas:

Mor'Du(I prefer the actual Gaelic Mor Dubh) would be 'basically' a Dire Bear with some sort of damage resistance similar to a Werebear.
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

what about darkwing duck?
would he work as a hero & would his villians work as darklords?
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

De Montour wrote:@ Le Noir Faireant

Agreed, whole heartedly. I posted about this a little further down the page, in the 'Bravenloft' thread. It's a fantastic story and probably the most Ravenlofty(?) :lucas:

Mor'Du(I prefer the actual Gaelic Mor Dubh) would be 'basically' a Dire Bear with some sort of damage resistance similar to a Werebear.
:) Actually, I wonder how much of the story is really rooted in real Celtic mythology; a few years back, I played in a Midgard campaign (the German oldschool RPG, not the Pathfinder setting) that featured a very similar plot.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

I love using Disney as a focus for horror... To inspire you, especially some of you who have lived the experience this track done by one of my favorite Youtube horror song composers should bring the horror that is Disney home for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -kvdw1CGOU

Enjoy... :twisted:
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

From the looks of things, the upcoming 'Malificent' will give us plenty to work with as well.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Black Knight
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Black Knight »

I like the idea. Perhaps if a Darklord dies in a campaign and I don't want the Domain to disappear (and just what is one to do when Adam dies? Send Lamordia to the mists? I think not!), it might be fitting to put the Darklord's soul into a weapon in a stone. Whosoever pulleth out that sword from that anvil, if he be determined and wretched and wholly evil, shall gain the rulership of all the land. Bam! New Sword in the Stone adventure. Part one has some Arthur type and an evil wizard attempting to access the sword. Part 2 might have our evil Arthur and Merlin trying to build a dark castle.

On a side-note, the signature RPG is based on putting all the fairy tales together onto a single land. Each story starts with one of them being murdered, and the characters have to find out who the murderer is. It's more brothers Grimm than Disney, and turning out to be a lot of fun just to write.
Last edited by Black Knight on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working on a fairy-tale investigation horror - Big, Bad Hunters. Click the link for a free copy.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Sword in the Stone sounds more like an Ebonbane adventure. A party of adventurers enter Shadowborn manor with a large block of sanctified stone. When Ebonbane goes to impale one of them, they somehow get the stone between them and Ebonbane and BAM! It's trapped even more than it was before...until someone comes along who can free it.

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hazgarn »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Oh, if we're including Disney TV shows not linked to the movies: Gargoyles. Gargoyles, Gargoyles, Gargoyles.
Gosh, so many plots from that show would work well for Ravenloft...

- Demona and Macbeth's history could probably be used almost as-is... Honestly, if any Disney villain ever held the potential for darklordhood, it was Demona. Just a painful snarl of self-inflicted misery and genocidal delusions. Macbeth on his own could make for a very interesting ally, or enemy, however shifting circumstances dictate.
- The ghosts of the Captain and Hakon (a reluctant traitor forced to haunt the empty halls of the castle he was supposed to guard with the specter of the enemy he betrayed it to).
- Wolf and Hakon (a werewolf toting around a magic axe possessed by the soul of a human ancestor who was no less monstrous).
- The "City of Stone" arc would make for a very creepy plot. One sunset all of Paridon (or whatever bustling city of your choice) just goes silent, every inhabitant turned to stone until the sun rises again. The players have to figure out why.
- The episode "The Mirror" would also probably make for some disturbing and surreal fun, if played right. Everyone except the PCs have been turned into hideous monsters...but the monsters treat the otherwise normal characters as if they are the ones who are terrifying.
- The Canmor siblings would make for interesting allies...until the players realize the family of hunters is very nearly as bad as the monster they've sworn to fight.
- ColdStone. He's a monster. He's a construct. He's undead. He's a tragic love triangle. Two of his personalities are actually very nice, but the third probably wants to kill you. Oh, and that one is good at pretending to be one of the other two. Half the fun of a creature like him would be figuring out just what he is. The other half would be figuring out who made him in the first place and why.

(Sorry, I really couldn't help myself. I've been kind of obsessed with that cartoon since I was ten years old...)
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

I too, love that cartoon. I've been watching it with my son. (He's too young to really get it, but he really digs on the epic music.)

I thought about running a whole campaign based on it, where the PCs are the gargoyles. They'd be normal adventurers, but the first game session would involve them killing some villain only to find out the villain was half-Vistani when the dead antagonist's mother shows up to curse the players! From then on they'd have to live like gargoyles.

Stone by day. Warriors by night. 8)
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Gargoyles would also work well in Gothic Earth.

High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Manofevil wrote:Sword in the Stone sounds more like an Ebonbane adventure. A party of adventurers enter Shadowborn manor with a large block of sanctified stone. When Ebonbane goes to impale one of them, they somehow get the stone between them and Ebonbane and BAM! It's trapped even more than it was before...until someone comes along who can free it.
Ebonbane isn't trapped in the sword anymore. He's trapped inside the body of Alexi Shadowborn, who is encased in a crystal coffin that holds him in stasis. The stats for Ebonbane as a sword is when it animates its former prison.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

I wonder if I could do a Peter Pan sort of thing with Bluebeard playing the part of Hook?
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

What about the movie “wreck it Ralph”?