Which Domains Actually Get Used Frequently? [Semi-Poll]

Discussing all things Ravenloft
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Which Domains Actually Get Used Frequently? [Semi-Poll]

Post by NeoTiamat »

More or less what it says in the title. I'm curious, which Domains do people actually find themselves using repeatedly in their games. For the purposes of this poll, I'd say just list whichever domains you think you use time and again (so for my campaigns, Dementlieu would count but the Amber Wastes would not, for all that I've done a lot with them, because the latter was one extended appearance and the former show up in multiple cases). Use doesn't have to be literally 'we were there' either -- If NPCs from Lamordia keep popping up even if the PCs never travel north of Barovia, that would also count.

For me and my games, I'd say it's...

Dementlieu, Borca, Hazlan, Falkovnia, Mordent, Lamordia
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Which Domains Actually Get Used Frequently? [Semi-Poll]

Post by Zilfer »

I've used Mordent/Darkon/Barovia/Richemulot. That has been about the extent of it. xD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

Listed not in any particular order: Mordent, Lamordia, Darkon, Falkovnia, and Barovia.

As an aside, I've always wanted to use G'Henna, but have never gotten to it.
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

I ran for years in Barovia and then had substantial arcs in Borca, Sithicus, the Burning Peaks, and now Lamordia.
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

All my campaigns have involved Darkon in some way. The current one involves Falkovnia and Nortenmark (a renamed Dementlieu) in a big way too.

I've run all of the commercially released 2nd ed. adventures at some point or another, so that includes one-shots in Nova Vaasa, Sithicus, Forlorn, Mordent, Paridon, Markovia, the Sea of Sorrows (or Nocturnal Sea? I can never remember), Har'Akir, Kartakass, Invidia, Souragne, Bluetspur, Barovia, Daglan, Sri Raji, Cavitius, and Tovag.

My most recent two campaigns have centered on Darkon and brought in Nova Vaasa, Falkovnia, and the northwestern domains in some way.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Kartakass and Nova Vasaa saw some use from me. Ditto Mordent.
Boris Drakov
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Boris Drakov »

My longest running campaign was conducted in a domain of my own making.

But I've used Borca, Invidia, Valachan, Barovia, Dementlieu, Lamordia, Kartakass, Sithicus and Nova Vaasa and currently Darkon.

Besides Barovia I wanted to use domains which were less developed usually to facilitate my own creations.
"I kneel for no-one!"
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

In my current campaign, the only domains we're returned to more than once are Darkon, Dementlieu, and Mordent, but Falkovnian and Nidala loom large even though we've only gone to each once. But since I've run some of the old modules multiple times in the past, the domains I've technically used most often are Kartakass and Souragne.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Chaot
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Chaot »

I haven't run much, but thus far we have been in the Shadowlands Cluster, Lamordia, Darkon and Dementlieu. Depending how the game goes I foresee us either spending a lot of time in Tepest, Nidala and the Shadow Rift or in Martira Bay and up and down the coast of the Sea of Sorrows. Or we may end up someplace else. It really depends on what the players want to do.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Hum. After reviewing my various campaigns, one-shots, abortive campaigns, and campaigns I would certainly do if there were two of me and one of them could be a full-time DM, the domains that show up repeatedly are Darkon, Paridon and Hazlan. I guess I'm an urban and/or high-magic kind of DM.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Dark Angel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dark Angel »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:I guess I'm an urban and/or high-magic kind of DM.
Nothing wrong with that, I just ran my guys through Cavitius and they acted like they hit the jackpot with all of the items they just raked in. Now they are in Lamordia with the pervasive anti-magic field still not quite understood by them...
"One does not stop playing when they get old, they grow old when they stop playing" George Bernard Shaw
"If you could be either God’s worst enemy or nothing, which would you choose?" Chuck Palahniuk
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

Darkon after Azalins death but before he returns would be number one. My players are huge into the political games so that always runs well, what with the minor lords popping up and the government spiraling into chaos. Otherwise, like the others we enjoy adventuring in less civilized regions but keeping home base in Mordent, Dementlieu and lamordia. Don't get me wrong: barovia, nova vassa and tepest are cool; my players just preferred the higher tech levels. Alchemists, doctors, pistoleers and the like
my bones among the rocks and roots
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

IMC, so far, the main places are Barovia, Invidia, Borca, Mordent and Darkon.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

So far, it's:

9 mentions - Darkon
7 - Lamordia , Mordent
6 - Dementlieu
5 - Barovia, Falkovnia
4 - Borca
3 - Nova Vaasa
2 - Burning Peaks, Hazlan, Invidia, Kartakass, Sithicus, Shadowlands cluster / Nidala
1 - Paridon, Richemulot, Valachan

The top 6 domains makes nearly the two thirds of visited domains.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

Gothic Earth almost exclusively. :twisted:

When I do run or play in Ravenloft though, we usually end up in Nova Vassa or Mordent, with some Islands of Terror side-trips.
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".