Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Hazlan, Land of Monsters: PC and NPC Miscellanea

Post by Isabella »

20 February, 775
Mordent-by-the-Sea

To my friend Darius Isfahani-

I hope I find you and your family in good health. I am honored by your invitation, and honored again by my welcome in your father’s house. It pleases me greatly to accept your kind and generous offer. My route is yet unsettled, as I travel with others, but I hope to arrive at your family holdings at some point in June – what books I can find tell me I am aiming for the month of Delegation. I shall write further along the road, so that you might know more. I greatly look forward to once more having your company, and that of your brother. Tell Cyrus I have been practicing, though I have no doubt that he has many finer swordsmen to practice with - rather than on - now that he has returned home. As for yourself, I hope I do not try your good humor with my many questions. I hope to learn a great deal about your home, and hope also to have the pleasure of meeting some of your acquaintances.

I wish you and your family every manner of prosperity of happiness.
Richard Blackwood

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19 February, 775
Blackwood Manor, Grimshaw, Mordentshire

Sincerest Greetings to Darius Isfahani,

I cannot say if my letter reaches you before or after that of my brother – if it is before, then you must apologize for me, as I did not wish to steal the pleasure of conveying his reply. I must write to thank you for the kindness you have shown him, and I hope you will pass these regards on to your family as well. I hope both you and he will find the visit a pleasant one. Please know that his family’s thoughts and wishes go with him. Should there ever be any trouble, distance shall not be an obstacle. If there is anything that need be done, I shall be there.

Good health to you and your kin,
Alice Blackwood

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darius-
You ain’t ever met me, and I ain’t ever seen you, but I knows you. I ain’t much one for writing, but the girlie says you appreciate frankness, and so does I, and so does she but she’s too polite to be proper frank. I don’t care about being nice, so I’m gonna cut right to it. We knows there’s some funny bizniz going down over there, and you’ve gone and dragged poor Richard into it. I happens to like Richard, even if he’s a bit dim some of the time, so I’m gonna lay it to you straight. If anything happens to him while he’s out over there, we’re gonna tromp all the way across the country and start knocking off bits off you till you got no more bits to knock off.

Assuming none of that happens you’re alright by me.

-Margery, Hala Hospice
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Revka et al
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Revka et al »

Forbearance Black Diligence, Year of the Displacer Beast
Cattia yf-Falssen Jarenberg to Soraya Warrowdine

Dear Soraya,

As you know, last night was Forbearance Black Courage, the anniversary of Ranulf’s death. I remember you were so kind and thoughtful in my loss, especially considering the petty rivalries of our houses. I didn’t know who else to turn to for something like this.

Last night Ranulf came to me in a dream. He was chasing me, saying that he would have his revenge. I think you were there, too, although that part is unclear, as dreams tend to be. At the end of the dream, I found that I had carved these symbols into the wall above my bed. I can’t believe this was any ordinary dream--Ranulf is trying to tell me something! One of my cousins said that it’s alchemical notation, but he couldn’t interpret it. Can you?

I never told anyone, but the week after his death, I had dreams like this about Ranulf. In those, Ranulf said that he had hidden things as only a wizard can. He studied at the Red Academy--do you think he was talking about hiding from divination? I don’t understand.

I will be in Vestrdyrr for the solstice. I don’t want you to make the trip on my account, but I hope you will be there. I’ll be meeting with an Ystrangyr friend who might be able to help me contact Ranulf and find what vexes his spirit. Surely the three of us can figure this out. I need to know what these symbols mean!

Sincerely,

Cattia yf-Falssen Jarenberg

[Enclosed with the letter is a rubbing of wood carved with alchemical symbols. Together the symbols comprise the formula for catalytic poison...]
Revka "Eisenmadchen" Regess
"A sword does not a warrior make." --Kara's Daughter's Motto
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Monsieur Richard Blackwood -

If my calculations are correct, this letter should find you in Hazlan. I have enclosed a pouch of pocket money along with it, as you no doubt have seen. Since the University of Dementlieu’s Arcane Department has yet to recover from its long and varied series of misfortunes, I have been having issue with finding spells to further my arcane studies. While I could research my required spells from scratch, it would unacceptably cut into my current schedule; therefore, if you could purchase a scroll of the magics the Hazlani tattooists use to anesthetize their more squeamish clients, I would be appreciative. My dearest Celeste also desires a dress, as Hazlan is a country whose fashions have sadly eluded her. I shall defer to your superior taste in feminine clothing, though if you simply bought her the latest in sarongs, I shall certainly not complain. If you find yourself too busy for such errands, I invite you to instead abscond with the money and spend it on narcotics, women, and lurid entertainments, the latter of which you are sorely in need of.

You have studied healing with the faithful of Ezra, so I depend upon you to examine Cyrus and Darius for all manner of terrible disease or injury, as they have proven too stubborn to take care of themselves. I have no doubt they will attempt to resist your ministrations, so do as you must to ensure cooperation; I am not a man who condones the use of violence, but a brick to the head would not be unwarranted.

-Thierri Viardot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To my friend Thierri Viardot,

You must share with me one day your secret for delivering messages so quickly, so accurately, and with such security. I confess myself consumed with curiosity to the method, for having trekked across the land these past four months, I find myself much more appreciative of even the shorter jaunts that our couriers make. You ought to set up a service, Thierri, I think you will do quite well for yourself with it. I hope that my return parcel reaches you with the same speed and reliability. I confess to being somewhat anxious about sending such things back through the mail - I hope you will write to me when it arrives, so that I may know it was delivered safely.

I had to estimate the dress size for Celeste, but since the Hazlani style is very loose, I think it will be well. Fortunately, the weather here is colder than much of Hazlan, and it was easy to find something that she might wear in public. I hope that she will like it, though she is of such a good nature that I think she would appreciate anything we brought her - but I hope that she will like it on its own merits, and not only due to her generous and enthusiastic heart. As far as monetary expenses go, your funds were quite enough to cover the requested items. I am going to question you when I return, however, on why you feel I have superior taste in women’s clothing.

I will tell Cyrus and Darius that their friends have inquired after their health.

My fondest wishes to you and Celeste,
Richard Blackwood

P.S.
It has suddenly occurred to me that I am not sure if Cyrus and Darius know you are alive. This is rather embarrassing. I suppose I had better tell them that before I tell them you are asking after them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Monsieur Richard Blackwood -

Mais non, monsieur. Why ruin such a beautiful moment with such an ugly thing as the truth? By all means, let them think my concerns for their health come from beyond the grave. I shall start sending them occult trinkets next, it will be glorious.

-Thierri Viardot
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: HLoM: Correspondence

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Preservation Black Obedience, Year of the Remhoraz (March 22nd, 769)

Office of Gundarakite Trade
Teufeldorf

Baroness Elena von Zarovich,

Lady von Zarovich, I write to you on behalf of the Jarenberg mining company, who have benefited greatly from the prosperous trade with Gundarak in years past. Good timber, as the poet says, does not grow with ease, and we've learned that only Gundarakite inner-core pine has the strength and elasticity we need for our mining supports. Unfortunately, our suppliers insist that the wood is no longer available for shipping to Hazlan at any price, due to new tariffs from your office.

My father has taken these statements at face value, and searches for other sources of inner-core pine. I trust, however, that there's been some kind of mistake. I humbly request that you review your records for any such tariffs on exporting timber, and advise at your earliest convenience. If we can come to an understanding quickly, I'm sure I can persuade my father to cease his search for a replacement. Such quality wood, of course, simply has no substitute.

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Vasili Boritsi, Assistant Manager
Bergsforg
Hazlan
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

May 14th, 769

Bergsforg
Hazlan

...Hopefully that will settle the matter. The course of reason and civilization and sensible import/export duties never did run smooth.

Now, if the Freiherr will forgive me a small and personal note of curiosity, I grew up a few days from Vestrdyrr, and to the best of my knowledge Vasili is not a common name in Hazlan. Boritsi, I observe, is even less common. Are you by chance related to the Boritsi clan of Borca? And if so, what curious twist of destiny brings you and your father to Hazlan? I look forward to your answer, and hope to hear from you again

Sincerely,

Baroness Elena von Zarovich
Teufeldorf
Barovia
Last edited by NeoTiamat on Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Delegation White Honesty, Year of the Remhoraz (June 4th, 769)

Office of Gundarakite Trade
Teufeldorf

Baroness Elena von Zarovich,

Your ladyship is quite astute: My father is Radu Boritsi, son of Sulo and nephew of Ivana. While our family is spread out enough that there are more of us outside Borca than within it, my parents are by far the most geographically distant of the clan. The circumstances that brought them to Hazlan were circuitous and not always pleasant, but it is our home now, and we serve our distant kin adequately and our Mulani employers as well....

...but I am not the only one with distant connections. You recognized my Mordentish poetry, and you use Dementlieuese political terms to describe your predicament--neither among the typical reading of a Barovian, even among the nobility. Did you acquire this knowledge through books and correspondence, as I did, or did you have the good fortune to travel to these regions yourself? My travels have been confined to Hazlan since my early childhood, although I was privileged to train at the Red Academy...

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Vasili Boritsi, Assistant Manager
Bergsforg
Hazlan
The Whistler
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Whistler »

My Dear M. Blackwood,

Fondest greetings from Bienassis! I do hope that this missive reaches you hale, settled, emotionally and spiritually fulfilled, & c. at your destination, and already enjoying the tender hospitalities of the brothers Isfahani. Imagine my inexpressible delight this Tuesday last, when, quite unexpected, there arrived upon my humble doorstep a package bearing an exquisitely patterned, zarong-styled evening dress -- and in precisely the shade of goldenrod that I have long considered among my favorite hues! When I idly mentioned my interest in such fashions several weeks ago, during a conversation with Thierri regarding your impending voyage, I hardly imagined he would seize the opportunity to secure the prize for his beloved via benevolent conspiracy! Suffice it to say that I have thoroughly sounded him out on the matter, and that all now stands happily revealed. I must thank you with deepest sincerity for your role in the enterprise, gallant and heartfelt as it was! Truly, though the age of chivalry is long past, the spirit of old Mordent thrives to this day! As one covert good deed deserves another, I have enclosed a small sum with this letter; the good M. Viardot has wanted for a smart pair of cuff links as of late, and certain interested parties have heard grand rumors of Hazlani craftsmanship in that arena.

Quite apart from the foregoing matter, however, I must apologize for failing to return your most recent correspondence with the celerity it deserves! Reynard and Tatienne continue blessedly well, and thank you for asking: the idylls of youth rest lightly upon them, spirited as they are! The search for a suitable governess continues apace, slowed only by the more particular requirements of our family; in the intervening time, that the children might remain well-raised, I have been exerting my own personal capabilities to the fullest and most rigorous extent. Happy to say, I have been finding no small success in that regard! Your perennial solicitousness regarding my efforts has been much appreciated, it is needless to mention -- would that my protective impulses extended beyond home and family to far Hazlan, that you should never encounter the slightest misfortune in your travels! Until such a fortunate time as that, I remain--

Very Sincerely Yours,

-Celeste Mirielle Viardot
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Revka et al wrote:Forbearance Black Diligence, Year of the Displacer Beast
Cattia yf-Falssen Jarenberg to Soraya Warrowdine

Dear Soraya,

As you know, last night was Forbearance Black Courage, the anniversary of Ranulf’s death. I remember you were so kind and thoughtful in my loss, especially considering the petty rivalries of our houses. I didn’t know who else to turn to for something like this.

Last night Ranulf came to me in a dream. He was chasing me, saying that he would have his revenge. I think you were there, too, although that part is unclear, as dreams tend to be. At the end of the dream, I found that I had carved these symbols into the wall above my bed. I can’t believe this was any ordinary dream--Ranulf is trying to tell me something! One of my cousins said that it’s alchemical notation, but he couldn’t interpret it. Can you?

I never told anyone, but the week after his death, I had dreams like this about Ranulf. In those, Ranulf said that he had hidden things as only a wizard can. He studied at the Red Academy--do you think he was talking about hiding from divination? I don’t understand.

I will be in Vestrdyrr for the solstice. I don’t want you to make the trip on my account, but I hope you will be there. I’ll be meeting with an Ystrangyr friend who might be able to help me contact Ranulf and find what vexes his spirit. Surely the three of us can figure this out. I need to know what these symbols mean!

Sincerely,

Cattia yf-Falssen Jarenberg

[Enclosed with the letter is a rubbing of wood carved with alchemical symbols. Together the symbols comprise the formula for catalytic poison...]
Delegation White Wisdom, Year of the Displacer Beast
Dearest Cattia,
I just can’t say what a horrible feeling went over me when I read your letter!! To think of you having such a dream and lying there in bed thinking of it all the rest of the night!!! I know I couldn’t have slept a wink for weeks but I know you Jarenbergs are made of stern stuff and you probably just plumped the pillows and lay there in comfort considering what it ALL MEANT.

Really it is the most gruesome thing and SO SUSPICIOUS. I don’t know very much about ALCHEMY, for which I hang my head in shame, because a Warrowdine really should, but Uncle tells me that those symbols denote CATALYTIC POISON. So horrible to think of poor Ranulf poisoned! No wonder his ghost would thirst for vengeance.

I simply don’t know what to say to you about it all, but maybe it would ease your mind to talk it over with someone in our family before going to the Ystrangr? I am sure we would be eager to help in any way we can! I will make sure to come to Vestrdyrr for the solstice!

SORAYA WARROWDINE
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

June 13th, 769

Bergsforg
Hazlan

...Though I would never be so bold as to call myself a wizard, and most certainly not to a graduate of the Red Academy of Hazlan, I've had an arcane education myself. I studied for several years at the University of Dementlieu, ostensibly in the Arcane Sciences department. In truth, I was always too much of a dabbler. A dash of philosophy, a touch of higher mathematics, a serving of philology, and it being Dementlieu, a side of art history, among quite a few other things. I've a spell or two that i use, though my proudest remnant of those years is my dear Bystroushka, a fox and familiar spirit...

...I can't claim to be as well traveled as some. I consider Dementlieu to be my second home, and I've passed through Borca and Falkovnia on the way of course, and Mordentshire and Ludendorf are not so very far. But Port-a-Lucine is truly a cosmopolitan society. Perhaps my favorite professor at the University was Prof. Marchand-Renier, a linguist and philologist of some skill, and a Richemuloise expatriate (should his own name prove insufficient hint -- we deal in names quite a bit, do we not?)...

...But all this schoolgirl's chatter of Port-a-Lucine must be dreadfully dull to one of the Magi. What of Hazlan, and the Red Academy? My own curiosity is piqued now, and quite firmly...

Sincerely,

Elena von Zarovich
Teufeldorf
Barovia
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Universality Grey Diligence, Year of the Hook Horror (June 24th, 769)

Elena von Zarovich
Teufeldorf
Barovia

I fear I have misrepresented myself: I am not a graduate of the Red Academy, mostly because I am not a wizard. I'm a rare specialist of sorts, a form of spontaneous caster specializing in conjuration magic--a summoner. Like many sorcerers, my childhood was punctuated by the chaos of uncontrolled arcane power; my initial training at the Red Academy was less about learning new arcana and more about learning to control what I already had. Even so, most of my time there was as an object of study, as my summoning abilities are exceptionally rare and the creatures I conjure unknown in many lands. By the age of eleven I had managed to suppress the chaos, and after four more years I have run the limit of my lessons. I continue to visit Ramulai from time to time to explore new limits of my abilities, but my formal training there has mostly ended, despite the fact that I remain younger than any graduate.

Yes, you read that correctly: I am fifteen, and as you are a university graduate, I suspect you are at least a few years my senior. Please forgive my presumption in estimating a woman's age, but having already misrepresented my education, I am compelled to be clearer in other matters. You are no chattering schoolgirl to me! You have lived the life I would hope for, traveling to distant lands and absorbing whatever learning they had to offer. I doubt I would ever tire of hearing accounts of your travels. It gives me hope that someday I would be free of my indenture here, and I might travel to Dementlieu and learn in the University, or even just listen in the salons. Here all my learning is by books and letters, and while I am glad to correspond with scholars in distant lands, I fear the first lesson my letters will always teach is patience.

You speak of Bystroushka, your familiar spirit. As a child my unchanneled powers manifested as a companion named Leila; I've since given her a new form through the assistance of some Mulani tutors, but I've kept her name, and she remains my companion to this day....

I agree we deal in names quite a bit! I've been meaning to find a good linguist to correspond with, and your Prof. Marchand-Renier seems just the man. Could he be persuaded to correspond with a Boritsi adrift in Hazlan? Could I persuade you to persuade him? On a related note, I wonder if you might have had occasion to speak with my cousins who run the Borca-Barovia circuit of the Boritsi Trading company. I've corresponded for over a year with Brelkyn, and I'd be happy to recommend you to him if you need help finding buyers for Gundrakite goods. For that matter, the rest of my correspondence book is at your disposal...

Before I close, I must know if you have seen any of the works of Cezar Vercezzo of Lechberg. My family has sent me a complete set of his tragedies, but reading them is an exercise in frustration! I would love to hear your opinion of them, and to that effect, I have enclosed two season passes for the Lechberg Opera. I don't know when or if you will be traveling that way, but they are obviously of no use to me--I suspect my cousin Oton sends them out of spite, so feel free to pay your respects to him if you get the chance....

Vasili Boritsi
Assistant Manager
Bergsforg
Hazlan
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

My Dearest Sister,

I must write with more haste than you deserve, for I have much to do and little time to do it. I have arrived safely in Vestrdyrr, hale and hearty, despite the storms - you may thus inform all who ask that I am safe, and they need no longer worry. I must depart soon to see the New Year festival with my guides, but I could not go without letting you know I am well, and since I have found myself with some small amount of time to myself, I have bought some small tokens to send home with my regards. I will write you a proper letter soon, though I doubt I will have the pages to contain my thoughts, nor the words to do them justice. Not half an hour after entering Hazlan did I encounter a pair of hellhounds, straight out of myth, and a man who would claim them as his pets! I can only wonder at what else this country may have in store for me.

Wish Sarah and William well, and give my love to all.
Richard Blackwood

----------------------------------------------------------------------

My Dear Brother,

If your latest parcel was sent as a means to buy my forgiveness, then I find I must give it to you, as I have nothing else worthy enough to return to you in exchange - indeed, I have already lost the support of our nieces, who have decided you can do no wrong, at least until they grow bored again and long for your company. I can only complain that your gifts are far too rich for your simple Mordentish family. You would drown us in luxury if you could, I do not doubt it. Our poor cook hoards over the cinnamon like a dragon, terrified that he might waste it on a dish that is unworthy of the spice. I begin to suspect he will never use it , and might as well impose upon our nieces to bury it in the backyard, like some manner of secret treasure. I did manage to abscond with a small portion of it last Wednesday, in order to make scones. It was a thrilling heist, reminiscent of our time in Dementlieu, and I even dare to say your gift was not deemed wasted, although I believe our dear cook took the loss rather hard. Perhaps we will be able to entreat him for mulled cider in the winter. I have no doubt our store of cinnamon will last well until then.

Your square of silk has similarly vexed us. Have pity upon your poor family, Richard! There is not one of us who can think of what to do with such fine cloth, which would not be considered an ill-use for it, and so it shall forever remain upon mother’s dresser. We do not even dare set a vase on it, for fear we might stain it. I daresay we have gotten your money’s worth by showing it off to the neighbors - you would think that it was an animal in a menagerie, for how often people want to touch it. All the same, I would recommend you send duller and less worthy presents next time. We are not all like you, forever enchanted by beautiful and exciting things. Cotton will do fine for the rest of us, anything more interesting and we all lose our heads.

Father still will not respond to the mention of your name, which I am certain pleases you well enough, and to our shame, pleases the rest of us well enough. I have read your letters aloud at dinner, and we have even managed to discuss them peaceably, in his silence. Your nieces hang on your every word, and I suspect Rachel does as well, though she refuses to believe that hellhounds truly exist. Even Emily has deigned to ask after your newest exploits, though she has refused to cite any interest beyond that of sisterly concern.

Sarah and William continue to improve, and Sarah even sits with us at dinner. I am pleased with their color, though not so with their fatigue. It can be said, at least, that it keeps her resting as she ought, as otherwise she would no doubt try to help us around the household. Our poor, sweet sister is ever concerned she is unworthy of all the fuss over her. I tease her for this mercilessly, and perhaps the laughs I have at her expense will assuage her conscience enough for me to dote on her. Their recovery is slower than I like, but then, many things are.

I miss you sorely.

Your loving sister,
Alice Blackwood
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

July 5th, 769

Bergsforg
Hazlan

I suppose that's what I get for assuming, though I can't say I had ever heard of a summoner as a distinct type of sorcerous individual. But then, I'm only a dabbler in wizardry myself, so that means less than it would in other situations. If I may, what manner of curious creatures can you conjure? Given that my conjuration is limited to a single willful fox, you can understand why this is a form of magic that I am curious about. I'm particularly curious about your Leila, as she seems to be a creature on an order of magnitude more complex than my little fox...

...For a fifteen year old, you're admirably precocious, intimidatingly so even (I was not half as eloquent when I was fifteen, though in my defense, I had only Barovian peasants to talk to then, and my people, for all their many great qualities, are not refined conversationalists). Still, if you care to hear of my travels, I've crisscrossed much of the Core by now. Barovia, Borca, Dementlieu, I've sojourned in Falkovnia and Richemulot. Mind you, mostly from the inside of a carriage...

...I can most certainly recommend you to Prof. Marchand-Renier, though I should warn you that the man is as acid-tongued as they come, and I doubt old age has made him more gracious...

...Vercezzo is justifiably labeled a genius, though given some of his stylistic choices I wonder if the word 'mad' should not rightly be affixed to it. You hear some quite peculiar rumors of yellow-clad monks arriving at his performances, though I can't claim to have seen them myself. Still, I shall make an effort to get away to Lechberg under the circumstances. The city is not so very distant, and as a junior trade minister I deal so much with the Borcans that I wonder I've not become one myself. If I should meet your Cousin Oton, I shall be as charming to him as he deserves...

...I am enclosing a copy of Malrik's Old Barovian Tales. Of course, this being Barovia we're discussing, most of the stories have been purloined from other lands, but Ivan Malrik is doing yeomen work in tracking them down all over. The occultist in you may find something useful, and failing that, they do make for a kind of reading that probably has not filtered down into the mountains of Hazlan quite yet...

Sincerely,

Elena von Zarovich
Teufeldorf
Barovia
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

November 5th, 770

Resplendent Brother Holcombe, Abbott
Brotherhood of Contemplative Power
Berez
Barovia

Abbott Holcombe,

As you have refused all correspondence short of a personal visitation, I have contacted a colleague who has agreed to act as my emissary. She should be arriving within a fortnight of this letter. I feel I must warn you; she is a member of the Von Zarovich family and not to be trifled with. While I have done my best to reassure her that your recalcitrance is merely due to zealous protection against the uneducated, she seems concerned that your secrecy might be of a less monastic and more...tactical...nature. Please advise your monks that her effects are not to be tampered with or searched in any way. She will know if anything is out of place, and she will not be pleased. I hope you can demonstrate the truth of the matter to her, and we can all get back to proper scholarship and convivial correspondence.

P.S. As I understand the Barovian winter, she may need to board with you longer than the few days she will need for research on my behalf. I would strongly advise you to prepare suitable accommodations now, for an extended stay.

Vasili Boritsi
Jarenberg
Hazlan
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

December 14th, 770

Jarenberg
Hazlan

Dear Vasili,

You'll have to forgive the lateness of my letter, assuming you even get it before everything thaws in the spring. I reached the monastery successfully, but on the way back to Teufeldorf I was snowbound for the better part of a week in one of those tiny, nameless villages in the mountains. Zabrnka, I think it was called. I can't say that I was too heartbroken, as they had a great deal of product stored up from the local vinyards, and after enough wine even the conversation of peasants becomes bearable...

...I always enjoy the reaction of people when I announce myself. Even in Barovia, where people really should know better, the immediate assumption is that as a Baroness von Zarovich, I come with the full force of the County behind me, and a score of soldiers will be shortly following. Instead, they get a junior trade attache, but the panic of the monks was gratifying in the extreme. I think that the monastery was never so clean, or so free of subversive literature, as when I arrived. Of course, Ushka did find a few tracts buried in the vegetable garden, but those things are everywhere in Gundarak and we (that is, the Barovian state) have long since taken to ignoring them. Not that I told the Abbot this, of course...

...I've attached my findings on the records you were looking for, and a few copies of the most salient material (apparently, an abbey full of monks is good for this sort of thing). I hope you find what you are looking for,

Sincerely,
Elena
Teufeldorf
Barovia
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

February 4th, 771

Elena vZ
Teufeldorf
Barovia

Dear Elena,

As if Barovians were the only ones who have learned to respect your name! Cousin Oton still demands to know how we met. I've told him five tall tales so far, but he knows I have yet to share the real story. Not that it matters how we met, now that we are together. I thought the Boritsi name commanded respect, but to have my card delivered by a Von Zarovich is simply unfair--you put the world at my fingertips, my dear Lena! If I were so cold of heart as to reckon your value in mere gold, you have brought me more wealth than I can count. With all the other ways to value your contribution to my life, I confess I find you priceless in every way.

Please forgive my mawkishness--on to the task at hand! The notes you sent are so critical to my studies, I hope I can finally repay you in some small measure. You recall our frustrations in enhancing Ushka's form, after the manner of an eidolon? I think I've finally solved our problem: Khenlef's writings were translated wrong. I've sent a few copies to Prof. Marchand-Renier for confirmation, but I think I know how to give her the enhancements you were looking for...

If that does not work, there is an anatomist and alchemist in Richemulot that you may want to visit by the name of Philippe Delapont....

In other news, my mother has gotten her wish: both of her daughters will be attending schools in the West. The exact institutions are still being decided, but Helna is looking fondly toward Dementlieu....

I've been corresponding with Herr Stonsifer of Lamordia about dwarven funerary rites. Did you know....

I was reading Malrik aloud yesterday, and noticed a similarity with the work of Jakob Gleam. Have you ever read his works on the major archetypes of literature? Radical notions to be sure, but how many equally radical notions does our world allow? I'd love to hear your opinion, if you can find a copy....

And again, I run out of things to talk about! I must wait now for my next round of letters like a parched man for the rain. One letter above all the rest I covet, and for that to arrive, I fear I must end this one.

Sincerely,
Vasili Boritsi
Jarenberg
Hazlan