HLoM: The Firebird, Prologue

Online roleplaying at the Café
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: HLoM: The Firebird, Prologue

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Vasili draws a steadying breath, then blinks several times. "I think I might dispense with a few of my own secrets, if I'm going to divulge yours," he says. His shoulders slump slightly, his eyes take on a more natural size and attitude, and he scratches his neck and yawns.

"I've read your thoughts, Cattia. I know the Jarenberg's plans, and your secret assignments. I know about the Warrowdine and the Falssen, and about your time at the Black Tower. I'm not malicious in my investigations, Cattia, but I work best when I have all the information--knowledge is power, and all that. Knowing all this, I believe I can be a far better asset in this affair. One of your assignments was to recruit me to the Jarenberg cause--consider it accomplished."

After a moment's pause, he relaxes a little in the chair and lets her consider what he's said before pressing further.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Revka et al
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Revka et al »

Cattia's stomache does flips and her heart and mind begin to race as she considers what might need to be done if this amateur destroys all she's been working toward for months, if not years; not to mention the work and plans of the family, but she relies on her training* to continue to appear at ease and pleasant. "I appreciate that you are making my job easier. Please, do continue."

*Cattia rolls to bluff:
[dice]0[/dice]
+13=23
Revka "Eisenmadchen" Regess
"A sword does not a warrior make." --Kara's Daughter's Motto
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Vasili considers his next statement carefully, speaking slowly and deliberately.

"We both have certain advantages that come from public personas; the disadvantage to such a person being that we have to do most of our work ourselves. You have Renhalt, and I have Leila. Beyond that, we are mostly solo acts. What we cannot do ourselves we must achieve by lies, manipulation, or barter, and usually through layers of subterfuge. It's inefficient and costly. If we can learn to work together and trust each other, we can eliminate much of that.

"Let me get specific. I believe your issue with the Warrowdine requires the services of an alchemist? Someone you can trust to test a sample and give you the results without knowing all the details of what they're testing? Securing such trust--and the silence that comes with it--is generally time consuming and expensive. Let me do it. I'll send a portion to an associate in Nova Vaasa for confirmation. We'll get you your results...or at least enough to negotiate with someone else here tertiary confirmation, if you need more neutrality."

At an unspoken cue, Vasili stops, and his eyes narrow. He nods.

"Yes, you suspect correctly. I'm reading your mind right now. My mind-reading unnerves you. Good--it should. All your greatest secrets exposed before the world, to anyone who knows this simple set of incantations. Let me help. I've been treated by alienists of the highest caliber, I know their techniques, including hypnosis. I've read about using it to encode a person's thoughts so as to make them appear different when read by magic. I've been unable to master the technique, because it's impossible to hypnotize yourself. That's why I cultivated a rumor that my mind is still dangerous to contact. But I think I can shroud your thoughts from scrying, if you'd allow me a little time to practice."

He reaches into a fold of his sarong and pulls out a small leatherbound accounting book.

"For the past two years, I've been marking coins that I pay to the miners with an invisible arcane sign, and I scan the community for such marks every few days, and log the results. It takes a long time to confirm the patterns, but after two years I can be pretty certain who spends their money where. I know who gives to the poor, who cheats them, who spends their money on gambling or drink or whores or opium. So far I've had nothing to do with this information but select honest men for promotions, but I suppose the right person could do...a lot more...."

He lets the last thought trail off as he flips through the book, then holds it out to Cattia and adds, "...if we could trust each other."

"I am, as you say, a dilettante in statecraft, but it's only because I've had to learn so much of it alone. Help me learn. I will be your student, and I will serve your house as loyally as any Jarenberg."
Revka et al
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Revka et al »

Cattia leans forward and listens carefully, never taking her eyes off of Vasili until they shift to the book as he holds it out to her. She stares at it for a few moments, letting his words sink in and percolate a bit before she takes a deep breath and accepts the book from him. Gazing back into his eyes, "Yes...I think there is much can learn from each other...and...do....for each other..." She stands and goes to the door and holds it open for him...them. "You must let me think these things over. I would ask that you let me get some rest for this evening. We shall speak again soon. Good evening, if you please."
Revka "Eisenmadchen" Regess
"A sword does not a warrior make." --Kara's Daughter's Motto
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Vasili stands wordlessly and walks to the door, then pauses to look at Cattia. His mouth opens to say somthing, but he thinks better of it; he closes his mouth and departs. Leila follows closely on his heels, with only a slight nod at Cattia.

It takes Vasili a few minutes to calm down, but after repeatedly confirming that he has all his vital organs, and using the rest of the spell to search the shadows for assassins, he decides he's safe for the time being.

With that decided, he goes in search of Renhalt. He expected he'd need his friend's advice...and if Cattia changed her mind about killing him, her brother might be the only person who could keep Vasili safe.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Renhalt was, not surprisingly, still awake when Vasili knocks at his door, and looks only mildly surprised to see his friend appear at this hour. "Vasili. Come in."

Renhalt's room is sparely, almost spartanly furnished; the dragonchess board, a fine one, perhaps three hundred years old, a pair of tapestries in a modern and geometric style, and a psiprint* of the Jarenberg in winter are the only non-utilitarian things in it (unless one wants to count the books, not all of which are strictly educational).

Gesturing Vasili to a seat, Renhalt says, "Game of chess? Or do you need to talk?"

*Like Harry Potter's moving pictures, except three dimensional and awesome. <_<
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

"Both, if you don't mind." Vasili moves to the chessboard and begins setting up the pieces. Leila slips inside just as Renhalt is shutting the door, and she gives him a wink.

As he sets up the pieces, Vasili's face falls a little, and he gives a heavy sigh and stares at the wizard in his hand. "Your sister has decided I will be allowed to live, for the time being," he begins morosely. "Leila's presence was the deciding factor, as I predicted. Apparently Cattia can flick a coin with killing force at ten paces, but she was unsure as to Leila's ability to interpose herself. I had warned Leila to stay close to me for that reason."

His eyes flicked from the wizard figurine to Renhalt. "I sometimes tire of being right."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Renhalt’s hand, setting out his own pieces, pauses for just a moment. “Do tell,” he says. “I’ll make sure not to leave any spare change around when I tease her. As for the other, you could solve that by becoming an optimist. You might be right less often, but you’d enjoy it more.”

Quirking his mouth to show the expected value of this advice, he continues, “People don’t like having their minds read, Vasili. Even when they don’t have secrets that would get them killed if they were widely known, as some near us most certainly do. It was right to tell Cattia, though it might have been wiser to ask me to go with you. But you understand…”

Renhalt looks up, his friendly blue eyes hardening. “The die is cast. From this time forward, Vasili, the body only is Boritsi. The soul is Jarenberg.”
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Renhalt looks up, his friendly blue eyes hardening. “The die is cast. From this time forward, Vasili, the body only is Boritsi. The soul is Jarenberg.”
Vasili's eyes flash in response, and he shakes his head a little. "It was always so. Boritsi has never fit me as a name--distant fortunes denied to me, it was a legacy of responsibility with no reward. Eventually that will change, but they will learn that my loyalty doesn't keep on the shelf. I was a Jarenberg the moment I realized my family's kindness was mere economics, while yours were truly generous and compassionate to me."

Leila gives a loud snort, but Vasili cuts off whatever verbal retort was supposed to follow.

"Leila would argue that my father is the problem, and that your noblesse oblige is practiced by the rest of the family in Borca...but if I learn to be a Boritsi by watching a Jarenberg, what kind of Boritsi am I?"

He opens the game with a sylph, and falls silent to let Renhalt contemplate. It is several minutes before he speaks again on his own.

"It wasn't paranoia," he says eventually, breaking several minutes of silence. "I...I didn't read her thoughts out of fear of some hidden danger, or even out of habitual investigation. I know...I know I do a lot of things like that, but this was different. I...I needed the information, I...I..."

He struggles for words, and it is Leila who provides them.

"We needed an open board," she says archly, looking meaningfully at the game. "Can you play chess without knowing where your opponent's pieces are?"

Vasili nods. "An open board, yes. We don't have time to ease into things. Data, data, data! I can't make bricks without clay! You expect me to do a job, but I don't have all the tools--the information. I needed it, she had it, so I took it!"

Vasili stops suddenly, realizing that he's actually raised his voice quite a bit. He swallows hard, takes a steadying breath. He sets a piece--a sylph--on the sky board, and looks back at Renhalt: "Your move."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:"It was always so. Boritsi has never fit me as a name--distant fortunes denied to me, it was a legacy of responsibility with no reward. Eventually that will change, but they will learn that my loyalty doesn't keep on the shelf. I was a Jarenberg the moment I realized my family's kindness was mere economics, while yours were truly generous and compassionate to me."
“The Mountain is mother to her own,” Renhalt says, and smiles. “And if any man has come up out of her womb, surely you are he. Welcome, kinsman.”
Vasili stops suddenly, realizing that he's actually raised his voice quite a bit. He swallows hard, takes a steadying breath. He sets a piece--a sylph--on the sky board, and looks back at Renhalt: "Your move."
“Now you sound like my uncle. Except louder. He’s a great proponent of the dangers of ignorance.” As he speaks, Renhalt moves a warrior forward in middle-earth. “But if you want to play the Great Game as anything more than a pawn, you will have to become accustomed to moving without seeing your opponent’s pieces.”

Vasili moves a warrior himself, and Renhalt brings out the Mage—a red-robed figure wreathed in fire—and sets it in an advantageous position. “You may have wondered—you probably can’t help wondering, if you think about it for very long—how it is that a relatively poor, backward House with little political acumen and only one true ally in the Landsraad has kept its seat for the last nine hundred years. There are several reasons, of course. We have not always been in need of money—the mines were much better five hundred years ago. One true ally is more than many Houses have in the Landsraad. Being hidden at the back of the Balinoks has protected us from many troubles. But over and above all those things there are two more, that are qualities of the House itself.

“The first is that we are very, very determined, and we never duck a fight. Have you ever seen a wolverine over the kill? No? Well, you’ve seen our household pets. We can’t feed them within sight or earshot of each other. Wolverines will kill elk and moose, and they can and will run off a brown bear or even an alzabo from a carcass. Larger and more dangerous animals avoid them, because an angry wolverine will kill or die, but it won’t retreat. And pyracantha, well, you have to dig up the root and burn it to get rid of it. Anything less than that and it grows back--with twice the spines--in a single season.”

Renhalt brings out the Paladin.

“The second is…well, let me tell you a story. Under the Fangtor, soon after the Warrowdine were elevated to the Landsraad, the Warrowdine began a campaign to disgrace the Jarenberg and have them broken out of the Landsraad. House Warrowdine are nothing if not clever, and they and their supporters and friends spent years in this plot, perhaps decades. Very careful, very subtle, very discreet. Then the Warrowdine sprang his trap and demanded the Jarenberg appear beneath the Iron Star to make an accounting for his sins. I don’t remember what they were. Something to do with withholding taxes from the Emperor, I think.

"The Jarenberg came into the Red Hall, saw the Warrowdine standing among his friends and getting their congratulations, walked up to him, and gutted him with a kukri. He threw down the weapon, told the Warrowdine’s friends that if they wanted to make an accusation against him he would be found beneath the Iron Star, and left.

"He spent the next twenty-four hours beneath the Iron Star, waiting for his accusers to appear. No-one came, so he swore the oaths before the judges and left. It was another two generations before House Warrowdine tried again.”

Renhalt half-smiles and shrugs. “Sometimes the direct triumphs over the subtle. Once you know where the opponent’s king is, strike, even if you don’t know the location of every dwarf, sylph and warrior yet.” As he says this, Renhalt’s brow furrows briefly. “Of course, it’s better to have your choice of strategies. But that’s getting a bit far afield, maybe. My uncle was quite interested about what you had to say about the mine. He will call on you again soon, to ask you a few more questions. And other business, I think. If you know what Cattia knows, you may know more about that than I do. She can’t confide in me everything the Jarenberg shares with her.”
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nathan of the FoS wrote:“The Mountain is mother to her own,” Renhalt says, and smiles. “And if any man has come up out of her womb, surely you are he. Welcome, kinsman.”
Though silent, Vasili flushes with pride at the words. Renhalt's open acknowledgement of him as kinsman was a taste of the validation he had been craving for years. In an instant, Vasili realized that he would go into Hell itself for an opportunity at a real family, which only reaffirmed his commitment to the present venture.
“Now you sound like my uncle. Except louder. He’s a great proponent of the dangers of ignorance.” As he speaks, Renhalt moves a warrior forward in middle-earth. “But if you want to play the Great Game as anything more than a pawn, you will have to become accustomed to moving without seeing your opponent’s pieces.”
Vasili practiced patience while Renhalt expounds on the nature of the Jarenbergs. He had read many of these stories before, but it was good to hear his friend's perspective on them. The hard part was listening without assuming a vacant expression; when he dropped his public persona, it was usually to expound on something, not the other way around. His anxiety showed in his breathing, but he nodded to show he was listening. At several points he scowled, shook his head, or even opened his mouth to disagree, but then stopped himself.
"Of course, it’s better to have your choice of strategies. But that’s getting a bit far afield, maybe. My uncle was quite interested about what you had to say about the mine. He will call on you again soon, to ask you a few more questions. And other business, I think. If you know what Cattia knows, you may know more about that than I do. She can’t confide in me everything the Jarenberg shares with her.”
"Good. I must speak with him again. I may need your help to persuade him that dwerrfolk are not the first way to move forward. There is much more to be gained immediate future before we need such recruits. I...I need you to look at this."

Vasili withdrew a few papers from a pocket and smoothed them out on the table. "I mentioned many ideas to your uncle, but in my haste, I failed to prioritize them. Especially now that I know his real goals, I think our first priorities need to be branching out the products of the mine. That abandoned adit with hazardous fungi needs to be addressed immediately. By my calculations, the acid produced in that adit could be collected and distilled with an initial investment of 700 gold and five days of work, which it would pay for in two weeks. After this it would yield profit at the same rate--less the occasional repair or replacement."

Vasili allows his friend to go over the notes for a moment before continuing.

"But the profit there is miniscule compared to the other opportunities this affords us. Acids are a common ingredient in alchemical formulae, and the typical market on it could be saturated very quickly, driving the price down. The natural way to prevent that would be to encourage innovation and invention in the use of this specific acid. I...we..."

Vasili shakes with agitation at his inability to explain fast enough.

"I need your help. We need to persuade your uncle to host a contest--an alchemical fair--to discover new uses for the acid, as well as other products from the mine. Apart from the potential profits, this fair will be the perfect pretext for other...conversations...that we'll have to have with other members of the Landsraad over the next few months. If we play this right...I think we can increase the fortunes of your family AND pave the way for your uncle's other ambitions at the same time."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:"I need your help. We need to persuade your uncle to host a contest--an alchemical fair--to discover new uses for the acid, as well as other products from the mine. Apart from the potential profits, this fair will be the perfect pretext for other...conversations...that we'll have to have with other members of the Landsraad over the next few months. If we play this right...I think we can increase the fortunes of your family AND pave the way for your uncle's other ambitions at the same time."
"An alchemical fair?" Renhalt says, skepticism in his voice. "That means the Warrowdine, and perhaps the Shadisanet...and a few of the lesser northern houses, I suppose. And we can't bring in too many families or the vraylock and his flunkies will be on us like a fly on meat."

He pushes forward a dwarf and sits back in his seat. "You know that, of course. So. Enlighten me. What advantage do we get from inviting our enemies to tell us how to profit from our goods?"
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nathan of the FoS wrote:"An alchemical fair?" Renhalt says, skepticism in his voice. "That means the Warrowdine, and perhaps the Shadisanet...and a few of the lesser northern houses, I suppose. And we can't bring in too many families or the vraylock and his flunkies will be on us like a fly on meat."

He pushes forward a dwarf and sits back in his seat. "You know that, of course. So. Enlighten me. What advantage do we get from inviting our enemies to tell us how to profit from our goods?"
Vasili is about to push his basilisk forward to flank the dwarf, then reconsiders. "I respect your admiration for the wolverine, my friend, but humans have the ability to learn from multiple animals, even at the same time. By doing so, they can cover the weaknesses of one creature with the strength of another. For example, a chameleon can blend in, but once spotted, that advantage is useless, and it actually makes itself easier to catch by holding still. An iguana, on the other hand, must dart about, but has the ability to sacrifice its tail to an attacker who chases it."

Vasili moves his elemental up to guard his wizard.

"I'm saying we should be like both the chameleon and the iguana. Hide, but prepare to sacrifice a small intrigue for a larger one. Your uncle has hidden our intrigue in a mask of honest work. I think we should hide the intrigue in an intrigue. What if we didn't invite the Warrowdine, or the Shadisanet? Not at first. We invite foreigners and friends in secret, give them two months extra to prepare before the public invitations go out. Then we have something to be shady about, a reason to sneak around and tell people things behind closed doors. When it is discovered, we confess the lesser intrigue, and it explains what we have been hiding, and why. Your uncle will have every reason to be embarrassed--especially for inviting foreigners to teach alchemy, and for his underhanded way of dealing with his enemies. But he will be alive, and any further reports of more underhanded deeds will be dismissed as part of the same petty intrigue, instead of part of a greater one."

"You've retold tales of your own people, now let me tell you one from the far west. In Mordent many years ago, a pirate called the Sea Dragon was captured by his enemies, who forced him to dig up his hidden cache. When the chest was opened, however, it was shown to be empty, and the Sea Dragon cursed his treacherous first mate for stealing the gold behind his back. So he led his enemies to the First Mate's home, so they could assist in his revenge, but then slipped a warning to his First Mate and betrayed his enemies to their deaths. When the fighting was over, the Sea Dragon revealed that he had kept the gold the entire time. Do you know where it was?"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

DeepShadow of FoS wrote:"Do you know where it was?"
"I'd say the first mate did have it," Renhalt replies, making his own wizard to an obliquely threatening point. "It seems he trusted him enough, and it's always better not to need a lie in those situations. That doesn't fit with your iguanas very well, though."

A few minutes' silence follows, punctuated by a bloodbath in middle-earth as a series of warriors hurl themselves on their opposites and are removed from the board in turn.

"No, I don't take your meaning. I do note that the Sea Dragon's enemies must have been a paltry lot, though, if they'd rather have his money than his life. They should have killed him and laid new plans to get the treasure, if they still cared to."
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Nathan of the FoS wrote:"No, I don't take your meaning. I do note that the Sea Dragon's enemies must have been a paltry lot, though, if they'd rather have his money than his life. They should have killed him and laid new plans to get the treasure, if they still cared to."
Vasili shakes his head. "The Sea Dragon's treasure was right where he had showed them it was. As a matter of habit, he buried his treasure a foot or so beneath the empty chest, figuring that someone digging in that spot would stop at the empty chest. Most people who dig for secrets cease their digging when they find something--and only then."

Vasili moves his dragon back to the upper board, to capture from afar.

"The vraylock and his agents will expect intrigue from us--we must not disappoint them. If we allow them to see a petty matter of economics and house bickering, then they will declare it not worth their time. If we prevent them from seeing anything at all...they will not rest until we have confessed everything under the Iron Star."

"If that is not enough incentive, consider how much easier it will be to test the loyalty of potential conspirators. If they cannot be trusted to keep quiet about the alchemical fair, we know not to trust them with more dangerous secrets. In addition, the correspondence and traffic in goods and people from other lands could be used to cover other dealings--purchasing weapons, for example. That's why..."

Here Vasili swallows hard and sinks back into his chair. "That's why I think my father should be in charge of organizing the fair." He lets that sink in for a moment. "I know what you are going to say about my father. By the Name, I've said worse myself. But he knows how to acquire support from foreign coffers. In the past the Jarenberg has denied him many such opportunities because you are such a traditional family and you dislike foreign influences. If you--we--can convince the Jarenberg to set my father at the head of this affair, you will see the Boritsi contribution to your war effort--unwitting though it may be--will match or exceed the Von Zarovich. Remember who financed Strahd I during the Terg-Barovian wars."