The Bridge to Nowhere

Online roleplaying at the Café
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Bridge to Nowhere

Post by Metaflux »

Tammerin started rolling out questions as if his tongue itself was insane.

"What realm or region are we in? Why are the undead here? Who is Tobi? Where did Draken originate from? How are you able to survive in such a desolate place? What greater danger lay in the minds of these people that they are forced to wield a weapon wherever they go? How long has this civilization survived here? What terror burns through each mortals' mind that they are forced to extreme measures in order to protect those they care about? I just heard from the guards upstairs that they would burn Barnaby if he made a mistake. Can slight errors be forgiven, or must we resort to barbarism? And lastly, I have knowledge of healing wounded. Are there any in this city that might need tending? If so, I may be of some assistance in the matter."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Metaflux wrote:Tammerin started rolling out questions as if his tongue itself was insane.

"What realm or region are we in? Why are the undead here? Who is Tobi? Where did Draken originate from? How are you able to survive in such a desolate place? What greater danger lay in the minds of these people that they are forced to wield a weapon wherever they go? How long has this civilization survived here? What terror burns through each mortals' mind that they are forced to extreme measures in order to protect those they care about? I just heard from the guards upstairs that they would burn Barnaby if he made a mistake. Can slight errors be forgiven, or must we resort to barbarism? And lastly, I have knowledge of healing wounded. Are there any in this city that might need tending? If so, I may be of some assistance in the matter."
"Let me answer these one at a time shall we?" asked the woman named Rose sounding slightly amused by the barrage of questions.

"You are in the city of Draken formerly known as Dragon's Hold. That was before the war," said the woman as she moved to the next question. "The undead are here for the price for our sins. Tobi is the king of this land though his influence has dwindled. I Don't quite understand what you mean by where did Draken originate from? That seems to imply it has moved, but it has always been here."

"As for why everyone seems to carry a weapon around, it's only natural to one to preserve ones life. Sometimes the diseased or cursed undead make it over the wall into our city and a few have been caught alone in the past so everyone now carries a weapon," continued Rose calmly. "Barnaby made a mistake. Such things can be costly to Draken's survival as a whole. Willingly letting someone in who has caught the plague endangers us all even if they did come form the Black Gate. I wasn't able to speak long with this stranger for they were too far gone and had those two brothers outside not have come to my rescue I would now be infected with the plague as well. While the two may be harsh they are reminding Barnaby the price of such mistakes...."

"We have our own healer here, but there is another task that you might be suited for, but let me see if your companions hold any further questions," said Rose turning to the rest of the group.
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terik prefers to stay stand as well, he is feeling nervous and sit down is impossible for him right now. He studies a bit Rose as she is speaking, apparently she is willing information without asking questions first which is an alarm bell for the wizard. Nobody shares precious information without a cost so or she is withholding someone and she wants to drive the conversation where she wants or she needs them for something. No matter what Terik knows that since they know nothing about Draken their only source of information is Rose so they have to trust and take what she is offering. After Rose finishes answering Tammerin's questions the evoker asks his own:

"You said that this town is called Draken, but how is the realm called? I do know that we aren't in Darkon anymore. Also, I understand that people are scared of the undead, but since you have a healer and few guards why you don't go after them? Or are there so many that you think you have no chance? I do know that undead rarely come out of nothing, someone, a cleric or a wizard, has to control or make them in way or another. I know that ghouls for example can spawn but it should be someone that is behind all that in my opinion, do you happen to know who?"

Terik stops for barely one second so he can get a breath and then continues:

"One of the guards at the gate said that now we are here you may be able to leave. Are you prisoners of some sort? Maybe this Tobi doesn't let you leave Draken? And if you can't leave how you explain that we met 3 people leaving Draken few minutes before we come here? And finally you seem to know a lot about the Black door, where it appears and when do you mind enlighten us a bit because to said it frankly we just came to explore it but we know close to nothing about it."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

VAN wrote:Terik prefers to stay stand as well, he is feeling nervous and sit down is impossible for him right now. He studies a bit Rose as she is speaking, apparently she is willing information without asking questions first which is an alarm bell for the wizard. Nobody shares precious information without a cost so or she is withholding someone and she wants to drive the conversation where she wants or she needs them for something. No matter what Terik knows that since they know nothing about Draken their only source of information is Rose so they have to trust and take what she is offering. After Rose finishes answering Tammerin's questions the evoker asks his own:

"You said that this town is called Draken, but how is the realm called? I do know that we aren't in Darkon anymore. Also, I understand that people are scared of the undead, but since you have a healer and few guards why you don't go after them? Or are there so many that you think you have no chance? I do know that undead rarely come out of nothing, someone, a cleric or a wizard, has to control or make them in way or another. I know that ghouls for example can spawn but it should be someone that is behind all that in my opinion, do you happen to know who?"

Terik stops for barely one second so he can get a breath and then continues:

"One of the guards at the gate said that now we are here you may be able to leave. Are you prisoners of some sort? Maybe this Tobi doesn't let you leave Draken? And if you can't leave how you explain that we met 3 people leaving Draken few minutes before we come here? And finally you seem to know a lot about the Black door, where it appears and when do you mind enlighten us a bit because to said it frankly we just came to explore it but we know close to nothing about it."
"The Kingdom if that's what you mean by Realm is called Morte, but we haven't used that name in several years, not since we lost contact with most of the outside world. The mists are everywere now. As for going after the undead, I'm afraid they are too many or that's what their numbers seem like when hunting parties were formed in the past. Now we rely on crops grown within the city but even that is meager so we ration food to stay alive. Occasionally the brave few will search for farms beyond the wall," said Rose as she looks among them.

"Most have forgotten the years before this, we've only been surviving for the past five years, but it seems like forever. We were once besieged by a maruading army and in our King's desperation he turned to a man who he didn't fully understand. I still remember the day he came into the court requesting an audience with the King. The man wore a smile you'd never forget, and all the while talking with the King Tobi the smile never left his face. He offered a way to defeat this army without loss to his people. I'm not sure what he did but the enemy army tore itself apart within the first few days of the seige," said Rose as if she was remembering the past.

"The door is I think our key to escape, the mist just turns us in circle but since outsiders have come and go by that gate we believe it is our only hope for escape. That is why we take such great interest, as for the three... was it three? Or was it four.... no matter maybe one was lost on the way. They had come to Draken recently and were warned that they would not be able to leave through the mists, though they were convinced otherwise."

Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

"Sounds to me that if we were to escape back through the Black Door, we'd have to secure passage there. With the roads being overrun by undead, that will not be possible. I do remember the location of the portal, though, and if you give me a map of the area, I can mark it down for you."

Tammerin's full intent was bent on putting his abilities to use. If there was ever a passion that outshined his hobby of purging the undead from the land, Tammerin felt exalted in the action of benevolency. "Before you explain to us this task you wish of us, I would like to inform you that if I were to focus research upon this disease that has a grip on the land, I may be able to cure it. Show me any articles or passages in your archives that possesses such knowledge, and I'm sure I can uncover the mystery that plagues the land."

Taking a moment to gather his tongue once more, Tammerin resumed. "Oh! I apologize for I have forgotten to introduce myself. My name is Tammerin Belvelyn Elacritus, the fourth (OOC: I do not remember which one he is, so until I get home, that'll be the number.) If ever there are services upon which you require of me, do not hesitate to ask."

Glancing back at the group, Tammerin let his hand guide Rose's vision back to his companions. "Now, is there anything else you five would like to inquire upon? Else, I would like to finish what is needed of us."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terik quirks an eyebrow at the mention of the wall and the mysterious man who managed that easily defeat an army without loss of his people.

"The brave few will search for farms beyond the wall? Which wall? And can you tell us more about the man who defeated the army? How was he called and is he still alive? Any idea how he managed to defeat the army? Maybe we can track him down and ask his help again."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
ash
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ash »

Fox really didn't have much to say for this meeting, preferring to stay out of the spotlight and simply observe the transactions happening before him. The loud, tall man, Tammerin, shot off question after question at this red clad woman. It would have tried Fox's patience to deal with that multitude of questions so fast, but he wasn't the one dealing with them, so he paid no heed to them.

The woman in turn, answered all the questions that were shot off, and Fox was almost surprised she remembered each question. Next was Terik who asked a number of questions, where the woman again systematically answered them like it was nothing. Fox raised an eyebrow at this, thinking her memory was excellent. His certainly wasn't.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

“The very wall you passed through this evening to enter the city of Draken. The walls have fallen into disrepair but they still offer some protection from the wandering dead. As for those that are diseased we give them a choice,” said Rose looking over to Tammerin. “They are either burnt to death or sent into exile so that they may not spread it in the city. Some… are not willing to leave and violence ensues. I assure you everyone is given a choice however.”

Rose seemed to think a moment before answering the rest of Terik’s questions. “None that live still know his name, or they are not willing to part with it. He is known by the Smiling Man here, and I do not know the particulars of how he defeated that army nor I suspect does King Tobi know. Upon the day of battle it looked like the King the man had lied to use but as they attacked suddenly they began to attack one another! I’ve never seen an army tear itself apart like that and I suspect I never will again,” said Rose from under her shawl. “If you do track him down, I warn you don’t underestimate him. I think that’s one thing that King Tobi may have done.”

“About the diseased being given a choice, was there by chance a man claiming to be from a distant land named Darkon, who believed he served the Eternal Order?” asked Dexter as Angelo looked at him. Dexter mouthed ‘Your Welcome’ in response to the look.

“Yes, it was a few days ago in fact however, the man was indeed infected with the plague but refused to leave the city. Unfortunately, we had to take actions to prevent the spread of the plague,” said Rose sounding like she’d rather not talk about that subject.

“That is rather unfortunate,” said Dexter as he looked over to Angelo shrugging now. He had done all he could and Angelo nodded in response. He half expected the priest to cut down the infidel before him, as the Eternal Order was often to do since it held the power. Maybe Sentinel Angelo realized his power outside of Darkon was limited. Further he wondered at the Sentinel’s silence, had he taken a vow? What did this vow mean?

“Now it is my turn to ask of you, outsiders.” Said Rose as she slowly adjusted herself to be more comfortable on the pillow. “I am the leader of a dwindling people; I see it as clearly as most of you must. Yet the King does nothing, and he calls outsiders from distant lands with those doors, but I do not understand his purpose for doing so. We have sent messengers up to the castle’s keep but none return with word of the King. We know he’s alive however for we see him upon the high balcony looking over the city…”

“I beseech you travelers… you owe us nothing but if you could help my people I would be most grateful. I have no monetary value to offer you, so all I can offer is myself. I am past the first parts of child bearing age but still young in the eyes of most here in Draken. None will marry me because I have been cursed, and cannot see well, would this be an acceptable payment for your help?” asks Rose who’s worry now flooded into her voice. “If you want to study our libraries you may good sir Tammerin, but I’m not sure what knowledge you’d be able to divine form such studies. I have tried myself but there is no record of this plague before now.”

Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

Tammerin's mind almost imploded at the thought of the woman giving of her divinity simply as a price for the adventurers to save a kingdom. The paladin drew his greatsword, and grasping it halfway down the blade with gauntlets protecting his calesced palms, bore himself to kneel before the lady in red. "I am a holy man, and even though you have offered us your servitude as a mate, I would accept it so that you might still stay pure. My lady, do not sacrifice your body in order to save your kingdom. I would speak with this king merely for the act of doing that which is right. Rather than give yourself to us as payment for assisting you with the good of the people, I bare myself to you as a man whose morals demand I protect your honor. You may fight beside me. You may assist where need be. By the sun, you may be my companion for the rest of eternity if that is what you wish, but I would not see your divinity tarnished as a result of my inability to resist the temptation of lust. I, Tammerin Belvelyn Elacritus the fourth, will meet with this king with the intent of saving the kingdom, and not with the intent of using you."

Taking a breath to gather his thoughts once more, Tammerin could hardly comprehend why this woman would give of herself in such a way. Has she not read the tales of knights in shining armor? Has she not heard of men fighting for their families? Has she not even heard of women who fight alongside men for the lands they share together? "By my honor and the rising sun, I swear upon my faith that if you were to choose me to be your's rather than name your soul as a price to pay, I would stand by you, respect you, honor you, and be beholden to no one but you. If you were to accept, you would be seen as an equal, beholden to no one but yourself, nor would you have to provide services to me in return for your independence. I am a man who believes in the idea that love is shared, not one commanding the other. Please, consider this alternative."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terik elaborates in his mind everything he heard so far. He didn't like to leave these people like others did, but he would have preferred some money or a recompense of any sort for his efforts. But seeing Tammerin getting the quest more personally than him he just says:

"Money isn't the only valuable thing if I may say. Do you have any spells or scrolls, or rare components I may use? And you have mentioned a library, may I visit it? Information is a really strong source of power where I'm coming from. So, what exactly can we do to help you and the fine people of Draken? Go to the King? Fight the undead, try to find a cure for the plague, or else?"
- W H A T ! ? !
ash
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by ash »

Fox's basic instincts nearly began to surface when Rose said that she would offer her body as payment in order to deal with the king. Of course, he knew he wouldn't take her in such a wary; that much was obvious.

For some reason, he wasn't shocked to see Tammerin leave his seat and knelt down before rose, and began to let his mouth run off again. 'Im a holy man' this and 'praise the sun' that. This man was practically selling his life away to this woman because she said she would give her body to this group for payment. Fox sighed, running a hand through his hair, before picking up a vacant chair, setting it behind Tammerin, grabbing the neck piece of his armor, and, while lifting, brought him up from his kneeling position and sat him down in the chair.

Cool your jet's prince charming. Cant have you selling yourself.

He aimed his eyes at Rose now, addressing her finally.

But in all agreement, save your body. There is no reason to sell yourself. Alternatives to money and yourself can be found everywhere, such as a warm bed and a large meal.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Rose seemed a bit taken aback by Tammerin’s response and yet amused at the same time. Fox’s cool temperance made the scene all that more amusing, though beyond a veiled smile nothing more was revealed. “I am in your dept for being so selfless, of course anything you may find in the library of use is yours, though I say it pales in comparison to the Kings. The hour grows late, and you must be weary,” said Rose.

“Well that’s not quite how I expected that scene to play out,” says Dexter in a whisper under his breath to Terik. “I think I’m going to retire early without Dinner however,” he says as they all stand up.

“Ask for food and lodging and it will be supplied to you,” said Rose nodding her head. She then rose and walked to a far door leaving the room and the party to confer.

“Sounds like, the King is killing people to me. Not that I can say he wouldn’t be within his rights to, if he is indeed the King of this land. I just don’t like the fact that people are disappearing when they are going up there… just what is he up to?” asked Lin suspiciously.

Angelo’s eyes had followed rose out of the room before turning back to the group and listening in silence.

“Personally, I say we leave. We found out what is up with the door, it leads to a land called Draken where a Plague is around the land. We advise no more people to come here, and we make away with 1,000 gold each. The plague isn’t really our problem and they don’t really seem to have anything to pay us with either.” Said Dexter at which Lin glared at him before speaking up again.

“You just want to cut and run? These people need help,” said Lin seemingly shocked that Dexter would even suggest leaving these people.

“Hey we were paid to do a job. We did the job, as for these people needing help, there’s people back in my homeland that need help all the time, but we don’t expect strangers to deal with our problems. We do what we have to, to survive. Plain and simple,” said Dexter explaining his views, though he could tell from Lin’s look she didn’t share the same ideas.

Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

Noticing that she neither accepted nor declined his offer, Tammerin figured it would be best to address when Rose felt appropriate. In the meantime, the paladin heard what Dexter said and felt almost like he was impaled in the stomach. "I have seen deserts where swarms of darkness determine if it's day or night. I have seen tundra where the ice is so clear, you're not sure if you stand on ground or air. I've been to swamps where the bogs literally sweep up to attack you, and the only way to save yourself is to fight them off. My eyes have witnessed the distrust you and others feel towards men of my title. We are but knights who pass you by in the street when you need coin, or we take your wives and use for them our own deeds." While saying this, the knight paced back and forth the length of the room, looking out into what seemed to be a reality beyond the present room. His greatsword was once more strapped onto his back, but one hand grasp the burning holy symbol as if holding onto it for grounding

"The same moment you see me as a knight of that ilk, I dare say I shall prove you wrong. I am a man of morality and compassion. This may be a job to you, but to me, I'm saving humanity from yet another enemy that means to destroy it. You may leave and go on your way as you wish and I will not stop you, but I will stay here and help these people because they need me, and I will not abandon them."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terik listens everyone talking and shakes his head here and there agreeing with some points of his companions and disagreeing with others. Tammerin's attitude doesn't surprise him even a bit, infact the wizard didn't expect anything else from the proud paladin.

"Ok, here are my two cents. We were send here to investigate what is going on and in fact we did. We gonna get paid for finding out what is at this side of the door, not deal with their problems and try to resolve them. That been said, I don't like turn my back to these people either, it's clear that they need our help to both fight the undead, maybe find a cure for the plague and find out what is going on with the Kind and this Smiling man. But that been said I don't intend to suicide either. I want to help them as I can but if I see that neither us can deal with their problems and are beyond our powers then sorry to say I will agree with Dexter and will return back to Darkon. We all have a life there and other problems that require our attention, after all Darkon is my homeland not Draken. I will help these people but I don't want to die here if you get my point. Now, how do you plan to proceed? I suggest we visit this king and try to find out more about this place. Me, Angelo and Tammerin can visit the library and try to find out a cure for the disease at the books. As for payment, well I'm all pro of getting paid for my service but of course a woman's life isn't for sale and I will not accept that. But information, books, meals, sleeping arrangement and any kind of magic they might have it id very welcome to me."
- W H A T ! ? !
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

"In the other world, I actually have no family nor friends to bind me. All of them fell to a variant of the undead that ravage this land. On the outskirts of a foreign country, my family was slain by a necromancer of great power. The only means by which I was able to defeat him was because he had depleted his magic in arrogance. Watching my comrades and friends die an agonizing death to disease, rot, and necromantic energies that still wracked their bodies is something of a scar to my soul. I will not let others experience the same fate. Ever since, I have spent my time placing judgement on the unliving souls that harm people of goodly ambitions. Even if you return to Darkon, I will be most needed here."