The Bridge to Nowhere

Online roleplaying at the Café
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Bridge to Nowhere

Post by Metaflux »

"My sleep pattern has encompassed afternoons and evenings, so I'll be awake till noon tomorrow. Let's see the man now." As he started heading towards the entrance, Tammerin stopped on his heals, turned his head around and said, "Erm, I don't know where he would be. Would you mind showing me the way?" The cleric obviously was caught off guard.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Lin shakes her head helplessly. Then points to the man who was giving the Sermon. “He was the one giving the Sermon, though from the sounds of it they will be wanting to start off bright and early,” said Lin after motioning her arms to the side. “Since you seem wide awake maybe it would be best if you asked the questions?”
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terik cannot help his smile at the sound of the reward.

"Split 1 third each right? Or the Sentinel is doing it for the King so he doesn't get a cut?"

A slight irony is clear at his voice but he masked it with a cough.

"Another round will be just great my friend, will help me relax and wake up fresh in the morning. This adventure is what I need. But since we are going to be companions, do you mind telling me a bit about yourself as well? It is good to know who I will be counting to in case we run into troubles. I would like also to know your skills."

Glancing at the swords Terik adds:

"I'm sure you can know how to handle these, am I right? And you don't have any armor?"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Dexter grins when the topic comes to his swords. “I know how to handle them aye. Though I’d prefer not to have to… if push comes to shove I can stick a sword in them.” Said Dexter as the last drink he would be having tonight is set in front of them both. “I come from Verbrek, a place far away from here and made a living as a hunter until the forest got to dangerous to hunt. I took to heading north find safer game, and now I have ended up here. I was selling fur’s I had got from the Forest of Shadows, on the King’s land. Plenty of hunting to be had there and made a good profit though with my drinking habits I must say this will be the last drink for awhile.”

“As far as what I can do besides hunting and tracking. Sword’s are well enough for most fights can’t say I’m the best in the world however but I can give a run for their money if it counts. I’m also rather good at going by unnoticed in the forest or crowds, and I can sometimes ease tense situations as well,” said Dexter who seemed to think on it for a moment and then seemed satisfied by his answer.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terik rises his mug and says:

"Sounds perfect my friend. I couldn't expect any better. To our adventure!"
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

"Ah, that guy. I apologize, I thought you meant talk to the Baron. Sure, I'll see what I can do." Looking at his apparel, Tammerin realized something else. These priests live in darkness. They like darkness. They prefer darkness, and the cleric of light prefers light. Taking off his white cloak and the white scale armor, he packed the two away, making sure nothing else he wore was shiny, and then walked over to the shadowy figure. If anyone were to look at Tammerin after his shift in clothing, they might have thought him a half-elf of legend, for the grace with which he walked was not human. His clothes were also of a region not known to Darkon; tunic of a deep purple with a weave of golden ivy working its way throughout the fabric, leggings of green leaf work that run their course straight down to the ankle. If not for the strong soled boots Tammerin wore, not a sound would have marked his passage.

With an effort to prevent his resonant voice from echoing too loudly, Tammerin spoke calmly, "Excuse me, Father? I've heard rumor of a black door guarding the mist across the bridge. Do you per chance know details about this portal?"
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Lin lifted a brow at Tammerin starting to take off his armor here once he was already in and then smiled to herself as she observed. Then they proceeded to the Legate. The Legate was drinking from a pitcher a red liquid when Tammerin approached and held up a hand after he spoke.

“Please, I am a Legate Tarkus not a father,” said the Priest through a thin veiled smile. “Yes, Indeed I know of it and have been coordinating with the Baron to send a small band to investigate it, however I fear my faithful Sentinel will have to make the journey alone into the Mists for the Baron has not been very successful in his attempts to recruit. The Kargat have been less than helpful as usual, so Baron Warbois has taken to offering up money as a reward.”

“Indeed we were thinking about joining you’re Sentinel on his journey,” said Lin as she returned the priest’s smile. “Do you know or have any thoughts what is beyond the gate or why it might be here?”

“Alas I do not dear child. References amongst our order are flying through our ranks which is why we need this solved just as much as any other travelers marooned here,” said the Legate taking in a breath. “What I can tell you is there are a few theories… they all think it’s bad news. Some think it’s the gate to the Gray Realm. The Realm of the dead, others think it is a gateway for Death’s Horsemen, and me? I know the Mists are prone to cause unexplainable phenomenon. Is there anything else you would like to know?”

The Legate’s gaze passed back over to Tammerin. It was clear he was a bit distant from Tammerin but he was not in anyway overtly hostile either.

[hr]

"To our Adventure as partners." said the man holding up his before downing it in the bliss of alochol. He would go to sleep soon after, preparing for his early rise tomorrow.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terik drinks his ale and says:

"I will meet you here tomorrow morning then Dexter."

Then heads back to his inn and prepares his backpack so he can be ready tomorrow.
- W H A T ! ? !
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

"We would like to investigate the Black Door for you. Both my companion and I are looking for work, and additionally, we want to restore passage across the bridge. Of course, we hope there are others who wish to investigate with us, but nonetheless, this is a most intriguing matter that I would very much like to look into."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

“We will accept all the help we can get,” said the Legate nodding before he turned to head off to his other duties. They were bringing in a lamb into the church. Lin turned to Tammerin.

“We should go, it will be an early rise tomorrow,” she said as she headed out.

[hr]

Everyone has a deep sleep this night as if their bodies are preparing for morrow’s events. Before the crack of dawn most of the prearranged meeting places are done. They head out to the bridge near the Tempe River and find the Sentinel and the Legate already waiting. The fog is rather thick here, the sound of the flowing river can be heard in the distance but the closer to its watery depths you get the foggier it seems to get.

It’s like the mist has a will of its own to stay about the bank of the river. The Legate greets you all thanking you for coming. He says the Baron couldn’t make it because a killing had happened last night and was under investigation but it should not hinder them, for the faster the situation is resolved the quicker order can be restored. Then he introduces you to Sentinel Angelo who he informs you will be traveling with to investigate the other side. He does make note that Angelo does not speak often. The Legate then blesses the party in the name of King Azalin Rex.

After the Legate leaves, you get a better look at the Sentinel. He seems a bit grim as he examines you while you’re examining him. He hasn’t spoken the whole time but rather kept a respectful silence. He is dressed in robes of the clergy and in one hand holds a scythe with skulls hanging down from the end of the scythe. There is a heavy wooden shield on his back with the symbol of the Eternal Order on it. A skull with parchment in its mouth. He has the scar of a cut across the front of his throat like the blade of a dagger had been brought across it at one point in his life.

Lin and Dexter make their introductions to the other strangers. Lin starting off. “My name is Lin. I’m a former member of Nartok’s Defense Militia, and a survivor of Drakov’s Fifth invasion,” she says though there is a slight undertone that their might have been more.

“Dexter, I’m a hunter from Verbrek. Used to hunt the forest for skins but the forest got to dangerous so I moved onto foreign lands to hunt and trade. I may not have the trained skills of Lin with a blade but I can handle myself. If we need to find food on the other side I can do that as well. It is a pleasure to meet you all, now what about you?” asked Dexter pointing to Tammerin.

If the point ever comes to Sentinel Angelo he will nod slightly in their direction and motion with his Scythe to the bridge. It seems he is eager to be on his way.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terik looks at Angelo, he seems to be the average cleric of Eternal Order. One that can be useful both in battle but also pull rank when is necessary. The wzard isn't very religious and if asked would say that he worships Ezra, but knows that people in Darkon are afraid and respect the clerics of Eternal Order. In few words better have him by your side than against. Waiting Tammerin to present himself he says to the Sentinel.

"Nice to have you with us Sentinel, I'm sure your help will be crucial to succeed our task."

When is his turn to speaks he says:

"Hello, my name is Terik Ablazer from Martira Bay. I'm a scholar seeking knowledge. I came here few days ago and when the bridge got down was forced to stay as many others. Hope I can assist you to the task of exploring the other side of the door and come back soon with answers."
- W H A T ! ? !
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

Inside this cluster of warriors, Tammerin felt off. His brightly scaled armor seemed to shine even brighter with the sun shining through the mist, all the while his smoldering holy symbol rested as a pendant upon his chest. With heavy mace in hand, and shield of shimmering gold and crimson upon his other arm, someone might have thought this harbinger of light would combat the darkened knight beside him, if not for the fact that they had approached each other in alliance.

"Tammerin Belvelyn Elacritus, the fourth, Paladin of the Sun, and soldier against the darkness. Pleased to meet all of you."

While saying this, Tammerin's instincts told him to avoid the undead worshipers and save the elven lady, and obtain some armor for the scholar, since, how can paper and pen defend against sword and tooth?

"I'll be assisting in healing and making sure we all get out alive. Any defiled spirits we come across I will also efficiently send back to the after life. I look forward to seeing you all back here once we have finished with this task."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terik looks at Tammerin, it was the first time he sees a cleric with so bright armor and predicting that will send the undead back to the after life. As if playing with his staff at his right hand he points its tip at the cleric of Eternal Order for barely one second hoping Tammerin gets the message. Terik knows that Sentinel's and the rest of the Eternal Order clerics preferred shadow and darkness over Sun and their rituals were for sure way different than those of Tammerin. Even if he has to admit that Sentinel Angelo doesn't seem as terrifying and willing to pull rank as others clerics. So they should be fine, if they avoid talk much about religion. To break the ice Terik gets closer to Tammerin and shaking his hands says:

"Nice to have you with us Father Tammerin. When we have time I would like to hear more about you and where you are coming from."

Then shakes Lin's hand as well.

"Always a pleasure to meet a beautiful lady. Even more if is a skilled fighter as I bet you are."
- W H A T ! ? !
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Lin smiles at Terik, upon shaking his hand. "The pleasure's all mine sir," she says before letting her hand drop back to her side. Dexter and Angelo start heading for the bridge, and Lin is soon to follow after waiting for Tammerin and Terik.

As you pass over to the bridge it is made of stone, though the mist here is thick you can still see for a good twenty feet before all vision is obscured. Staying roughly together you cross the bridge. There are a few pitfalls into the mist below and for a bridge crossing a river it seems impossibly long. At first you hear running water close but it gets further and further distant at you go. Looking over the side you see nothing but the swirling of mist as if it was a tide of its own.

Little conversation is made from Lin, Dexter, and Angelo though Angelo clearly is the least cautious looking as he is near the front of the pack leading the way accross the bridge at a brisk pace. Eventually after what seems like forever walking you come to a large door fourty feet accross. Angelo has stopped and is examining the door as if trying to decern a meaning. (See picture on page 1) It is made of a black material depicting many small scenes all accross the surface of the door. Above on the door written in Draconic (Click only if you can read Draconic)
VIEW CONTENT:
Abandon all hope, Ye who enters here.
Among the pictures is a wide range of sculpted scenes of undead faces, scenes of mutlilation, desicrations of the living flesh, and unspeakable acts. The door seems to have no hand holds and is shut. From here the sound of running water is gone and only an eerie silence remains. Dexter goes closer to the door as if looking for a way in or to open the door.

VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Terik frowns as looks closer at the door.

"This is good, the sign says: Abandon all hope, Ye who enters here. I'm glad you are both of you here".

Says the wizard looking at the two clerics.

"We will face undead or spirits most probably for what I can understand from the scenes."

Then gets closer as well to get a better look at the door.
- W H A T ! ? !