Online roleplaying at the Café
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Birthright Chapter Nine

Post by ewancummins »

GUNNAR
THE DUNGEON HALLWAY

The big man sees Riegon drop the torch and fall forward, face down on the stone floor. He sees the bloody short sword sticking out of the man's back. He sees the glowing light rises to engulf Lord Filbert like a net of radiance before hurling the Halfling back from Riegon's fresh corpse.

Guards press in at Gunnar's elbows.

Someone says 'uh-ohhh..."

A dull, heavy crash like thunder sounds from someplace up the stairs.
Last edited by ewancummins on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

FOERDE

A freak wind sends dark clouds tumbling giddily across the blue sky to swirl above Caer Haes.

Sir Rory breaks off his conversation with Foerde and rushes towards the door that leads to the dungeon, a wild look on his weathered face.
Streams of sparks explode from the stone pavement near the closed door just before Sir Rory reaches the handle, arcing up into the sky hundreds of feet overheard! The old knight leaps clear and turns to look at Foerde with his mouth open as if shouting.

But all Foerde can hear is the tremendous peal of a bone-jarring thunderclap.
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

Lord Skybolt
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Skybolt »

Gunnar grabs Reigon body after sheathing his sword then just shakes his head at the halflings action in a resigned sort of way . Muttering to himself:"Nice hit for a little guy, and some people think my attacks are overkill sometimes ." Taking the body back to the cell .
"Evil only endures when good people remain silent ."
Tony inspired by Thomas Jefferson .
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Lord Skybolt wrote:Gunnar grabs Reigon body after sheathing his sword then just shakes his head at the halflings action in a resigned sort of way . Muttering to himself:"Nice hit for a little guy, and some people think my attacks are overkill sometimes ." Taking the body back to the cell .

Gunnar feels invisible energy crackling in the folds of the dead man's clothes.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

CAER HAES DUNGEON

Renn's eyes go wide in the torchlight as he sees Filbert's sword, slick with blood, protruding from Riegon's chest. And then he sees the dance of lights around Filbert, and he knows what the haflling must be feeling now, because he felt it not so long ago when he put a dirk through Lynwerd's heart.

"This...this complicates things, Filbert." His expression becomes right. "You won't see me shed any tears for him. But Justice could have waited. Still, no worse than he deserves."

"But now we've got to figure out what the hell to do." He sees Gunnar carry the corpse back to the cell. "Well, that's a start." He puts one hand to his chin. "He was trying to escape, that alone merits death. You acted within the law there. But he's still more use to us alive." He frowns. "Perhaps the Archprelate knows a ritual to revive the slain, but I'll be damned if I have to involve the Temple if I can help it."

He turns to Filbert ant Gunnar. "Where is the foreign witch?"
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:CAER HAES DUNGEON
Two of the guards exit by the stairs; the others remain in the dungeon.

ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

ewancummins wrote:ALVER AND SIR ROALD
Varrus the Ethical wrote:
ewancummins wrote: Alver shrugs.

"I'm sure a suitable arrangement can be made. First I need to see Lord Riegon, alive and well. Please take me to him, or else I will return and tell my master that he must draw his own conclusions as to his brother's whereabouts and condition."

Roald smiles widely. "In that case, I'll see about bringing him here to present to you. No offense, but I'd rather not have one of Carlion's agents see which cell we're keeping him in."
The thin messenger nods. He reaches up to brush stray blond locks from his eyes.

"Yes, by all means, bring him to me. I have no strong desire to see the dungeons of Caer Haes."

Lightning flashes outside the open window, thunder booms out overhead, shaking the ceiling tiles.

Alver jumps at the flash and the crash.

"What in blazes!?"

The balmy zephyr coming through the wrought iron window grate turns to a cold, rainy storm- gust in an instant.

The messenger looks towards the window , shaking his head.

" 'Tis an ill omen."

Roald hears indistinct shouting from some other part of the ducal palace.

Brock Marsh Runoff
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brock Marsh Runoff »

ewancummins wrote: Two of the guards exit by the stairs; the others remain in the dungeon.
He quickly turns to the two who've remained. "Stay here, I'll be right back."

He the dashes off for the two guards who mean to exit. "Hold a moment, I'd like a word."
"You said I killed you--haunt me, then!...Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you!” -Wuthering Heights
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Brock Marsh Runoff wrote:
ewancummins wrote: Two of the guards exit by the stairs; the others remain in the dungeon.
He quickly turns to the two who've remained. "Stay here, I'll be right back."

He the dashes off for the two guards who mean to exit. "Hold a moment, I'd like a word."

The two men (both ducal guards, not under Renn's command) pause and turn round. One of them asks,
"Yes, Watch Captain?"

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

ewancummins wrote: FOERDE

A freak wind sends dark clouds tumbling giddily across the blue sky to swirl above Caer Haes.

Sir Rory breaks off his conversation with Foerde and rushes towards the door that leads to the dungeon, a wild look on his weathered face.
Streams of sparks explode from the stone pavement near the closed door just before Sir Rory reaches the handle, arcing up into the sky hundreds of feet overheard! The old knight leaps clear and turns to look at Foerde with his mouth open as if shouting.

Foerde runs after the old knight, to catch up, once he closes the distance he stops next to the old knight. "Fairly certain a blooded noble just died." He says, with a flat tone. "What ever happened down there can't be good.."

Opening the door, he turns to face the old knight. "Stay behind me." He says. Then enters the door and heads towards the dungeon.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

RocEter wrote:
ewancummins wrote: FOERDE

Foerde runs after the old knight, to catch up, once he closes the distance he stops next to the old knight. "Fairly certain a blooded noble just died." He says, with a flat tone. "What ever happened down there can't be good.."

Opening the door, he turns to face the old knight. "Stay behind me." He says. Then enters the door and heads towards the dungeon.

Sir Rory lets the cat-man go first, but follows close behind.

Two guards with halberds join them, falling in to either side of the Castellan.
One of the men says to the old knight, "We heard the alarm raised, sir."

RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

Foerde

Foerde says nothing and continues towards the dungeon, his sword hand resting on the hilt of his sword.
History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle and forgets the blood. What ever history remembers of me if it remembers me at all, it shall only be the fraction of the truth.
Varrus the Ethical
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Varrus the Ethical »

ROALD AND ALVAR

Roald scowls and looks to the guards. "Make sure Alvar stays here." He points at the messenger. "If this is some kind of trick, I'm throwing you out of the highest window." He turns and heads for the dungeon at a brisk pace.
Last edited by Varrus the Ethical on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it."

George R.R. Martin.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Filbert still engulfed in the sparks and with ears echoing the thunder's noise barely listens to Renn's words but looking at his face he understands what the Watch Captain said. Before he has time to react two guards left and Renn follows them leaving the halfling with the Ducal guards. Then the doors opens and Foerde comes in followed by Sir Rory. Filbert still shaking and with visible signs of a great confusion tries to explain.

"Foerde, Sir Rory, I...I have to say that without wanting I killed lord Riegon. He was trying to escape and all of us were after him, I don't know how I lashed out to him, was like anger and sense of Justice was guiding my hand. I have never dealt such a clear hit in a such a critical spot. The man died before us. I'm really sorry, I know we needed him alive and his death complicates everything. I just wanted to prevent him to escape, I wanted him to face Justice for his murders and criminals acts. But I have never planned to killed him. The rest you know it.

Filbert doesn't get into details that he feels more strong and that he gotten Reigon's bloodpower. He believes that both Sir Rory and Foerde could deduce that from the sparks and the thunder.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
RocEter
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by RocEter »

"You are right Lord Filbert," Foerde says. "This complicates things greatly!"

Foerde stands in silence for a moment and then looks down at the Halfling. "He got what he deserved," He tells Filbert. "Now we have to deal with fall out from the deliverance of your justice. What plans have you come up with so far?"