Javenloft

Online roleplaying at the Café
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Javenloft

Post by Zilfer »

“Besides if we judged by appearance I’d be an odd one out too Null. My people generally are not viewed well upon outside of Darkon,” chimed in Felix flicking his pointed ears twice before shrugging his shoulders. “I’m even stranger than usual in the fact that elves I’ve met seem to sleep like humans but me…. I go into a state of Trans… like a form of meditation for you I am told. Some might see this as unnatural state of being and people are notorious of being fearful of what they don’t understand…”

To emphasize he recast light on the palm of his hand letting it floats there for a good few seconds and then let it go out. “No matter how you look or what your abilities, you’ll never have to worry about me looking at you anything other than how you act. It’s the least I can do for a fellow non human,” said Felix with a smirk. “Though perhaps we should be wrapping this up, Sir Hiregaard has probably wondered where we have wandered off too, and I’m not sure Anselm and Millicent are up for a palm reading after everything we’ve put you through….. Mrs. Tatishchev..."
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

"Twice...cursed...and neither might be removed?" Null retracted his hand slowly, gasping for air as the finite answer seemed to grab a hold of his lungs. How long have I fought? A century? And how much of that time has been wasted... These thoughts ran an eternity of dawn and dusk through his mind. As soon as he'd thought, There still might yet be a way, the futility of that statement eroded away what little structure there was when he looked once more at the oracle before him. Anger rose to a rage. Rage was doused by remembered remorse. And, eventually, remorse was replaced by the ever-cloaking shroud of indignity.

Demoralizing depression overwhelmed him as he rose once more. Looking down at the bestial claws he bore, a sense of unease began to flow into him, much as a small crack in a dam allows water to drip drip drip its way through. "Is there still some effort I might take to..." Null paused to try and articulate some semblance of a proper question, "alleviate humanity's view of me? My magic does not work at all times, and neither do I have the potential to create an item that would do so." Looking over at Felix, the cleric realized the young one must be anxious to get this moving along. So much drama in such confined spaces was not the definition of productivity. "And yes, I will finish this up shortly. I see that we still have much yet to do, though the future does not bode well for us."
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

"Curses are a funny thing, if we remove one it hopefully won't make the other worse. I'm not an adept in the field of what many consider to be a pseudo-magic but if we assume curses are real. Lifting them seems to be the hardest part, if books on them are anything to go by, and that's probably the single most thing agreed upon from the one's I have read," said Felix. He walked up to Null seeing that he wanted really badly to be seen as just a sentient being. (OOC hehe can't say human being.)

"If it makes you feel any better perhaps we can research curses together and come to an answer of how to free yourself," said Felix before looking back at Antonina. "Is there anything we can do at the present to alleviate his condition?"

Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

Zilfer wrote:"Is there anything we can do at the present to alleviate his condition?"
Dame Antonina shakes her head.

"There is no cure for his condition that I know of, but anything is possible. Perhaps discovering the origin of the curse upon Null's family is a good place to start. Knowledge is often the best weapon against such things. Do not give up hope..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rexleith wrote:Should I get started preparing Frinkelo's body before you give my friends their reading? I'd like to get started right away if I could
After taking a moment to stand with Frinkelo’s body in silence, Kamose’s friends leave Antonina’s tent one by one...
Last edited by Nemesio on Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:40 am, edited 5 times in total.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

CLAIMED BY DARKON
CHAPTER FIVE: A DISH BEST SERVED COLDLY (PART ONE: THE ELENDIGHEDMARK) Continued...

Nova Vaasa, Mid-Spring of 730 BC

Steiner's Ranch, 10:55 PM

To All

Neither Millicent nor Anselm had given Dame Antonina the privilege of reading their palms. Rather than allowing themselves to be exposed by the seer, they had slipped off some time after Laura’s frightful possession by her “Intruder”.

When you return to Steiner’s ranch they are waiting on the porch of their bungalow.

Millicent peers into the darkness at your approach and yells: "SORRY WE JUST DISAPPEARED LIKE THAT, BUT THAT WOMAN WAS DANGEROUS! SHE PLAYS WITH THINGS BEST LEFT ALONE!"
Last edited by Nemesio on Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

"You guys go on ahead, I have some further questions to ask." said Felix as most everyone was preparing to leave. Felix waited for a good distance to be put between them making a few notes about the Vistani again in his book before putting it away again.

"Nina, I need to ask a favor of you," said Felix speaking in Vassi. "Your husband says you have a good memory so perhaps you will remember more than me of my days in the past. It would seem that I have returned... home? Is that the right word? Yes, somehow it... feels right."

He took a moment to absorb and arrange what he wanted to ask. He drew his sword, and when her husband saw this he started to react. "I mean no harm, Mikhailov this is part of my question," said Felix as he held the hilt out towards Nina and the blade pointed to himself to assure her husband. He somehow knew Nina wouldn't react negatively to this, there was still some meassure of trust between them after so long. He felt his throat tighten at that thought. How could one live so long and still trust someone they barely remembered? Maybe it helped that he didn't look too much different from back then, though he had grown taller.

"When we knew each other all those years ago and I hadn't lost my memory, did I have this sword? Do you know if it was from my family? My memories are.... clouded but this has been something I've always kept with me almost as if it was my parent," said Felix turning his eye to look down at it. A sudden thought crossed his mind. "Could it be this is what holds a cloak over my memories? I remember traveling to Castle Avernus to try and study it's history but I don't ever remember making it there from Nartok.... Why would I have bypassed Avernus if I was coming from Nevuchar Springs...."

Felix mentally shook himself it didn't matter, he couldn't believe most of what he remembered and the only thing he trusted was that he had met two honest men in Darkon. Akunin, and Dimmer had been his friends to matter who he really was, the man with false memories or the man from before.

"Sorry I ponder outloud quiet a bit. I was hoping that you'd remember something about my family or this blade, I can't imagine if my family was still living they would stop looking for me. Or... Maybe they would. Elves tend to live longer so maybe they are waiting for something," said Felix wondering if he was perhaps asking too much.

"Then I have a second question for you afterwards, though I know you must be tired from this whole ordeal," said Felix as he inadvertantly looked over to where Frinkelo's body had been at the thought of death. "I met a man during my stay in Darkon named Dimmer, he grew to be a friend and a mentor of sorts however I met his Killer mere moments before his death and they looked exactly the same. Demlyn, I think his name was. He said that Dimmer was fated to find and kill him so that's why he had shot him. I can't believe Dimmer would ever do such a thing... Demlyn claimed he was a clone of him but that kind of magic is too far down a path I dare not look. Those who have looked into Necromancy usually find a fate worse than death. So I ask for your council, I'm not sure if I meet this Demlyn again that I won't kill him, but if I have.... something to stop me I think I'll be able to manage."

Later Felix runs like the wind to catch up with them, whether he is red from running full spring or perhaps from emotional strife the others would find uncertain but he wore a smile again as he held out the pebble to Laura. "I don't know if you want it back but I would like another chance to look at it when we get time," said Felix handing it gingerly back to Laura. Then he let his head drop like a guilty kid. "Sorry about speaking Elven before but I think most my life I was raised to speak it. You'll have to forgive future outbursts of it, for I quiet often think aloud in elven. I promise that I'll never say anything bad about you in elven though, it's just too pretty of a language to ruin it with 'black words.'"

It isn't much longer before they arrive at the place and Millicent and Anselm are there. At Millicent's comment he only smiles knowing that Vistani are usually feared as well as reveared. "Out of all of us Millicent, I think you and I both know Knowledge is power, and some people fear power," said Felix emphasising the word knowledge with it's equivalent in spellcraft. Being a caster he was sure she would understand. "But lets put this night behind us, Sir Hiregaard will want pleasant guests to be sure."

Rexleith
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rexleith »

Kamose stays behind to finish what he promised the Vistani he would do in regards to Frinkelos body and funeral. He works through the night to ensure Frinkelos body is handled properly. It feels good to be doing the only real work he's ever known.

Kamose has his work cut out for him though , Frinkelos body is full of holes and bloating. Luckily, he knows some techniques and has some tools to make the body more presentable. Antonia and Mikhailov insist that Kamose use their tent to do his work. He finds this to be rather touching. It makes his esteem of Frinkelo grow, knowing he had such a caring if unconventional family.

During a brief moment of rest while waiting for some of his chemicals to do their work, The older Vistani couple provide a bit of food and refreshment for Kamose. Kamose feels a great kinship with them during this time as they discuss things like family, friends, work, and even things they fear.

Back to the job in front of him, everything seems to go forward without a great deal of problems. Any tools, chemicals or plants that Kamose needed the Vistani were able to provide making things move along faster than if he didn't have his equipment.

The following day, Kamose doesn't get a great deal of sleep but its more from the excitement of being useful within his occupation than it is that he is actually in some way happy about what is happening.

As he sets the final preparations for a tasteful goodbye to Frinkelo. He wonders what his friends are doing?, how the celebration at the ranch is gonna be?, what more he can do to free them from Baukis?.

He is surprised to find the amount of people that come out to mourn Frinkelos' passing. He had never done a funeral in which an entire community came out for one of the dead. He had dealt with families and friends but he had never dealt with big affairs such as this. He was becoming emotional himself, thinking to himself if he would ever have so many people come to his funeral when he died. He endeavors to ask Antonia and Mikhailov if this was a typical turn out when the time was more appropriate and to express his amazement at the number of folks that came.

As the funeral pyre goes on that evening and eventually goes out. Kamose can't help but believe he's witnessed something very few have before. He feels good about what he's done for the Vistani and he is seriously exhausted. Antonia and Mikhailov provide him with a place to stay for the evening. They seem tired as well but appear to be at peace.

Kamose last thought before falling to sleep was 'I think I did a good job'.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

CLAIMED BY DARKON
CHAPTER FIVE: A DISH BEST SERVED COLDLY (PART ONE: THE ELENDIGHEDMARK) Continued...

Nova Vaasa, Mid-Spring of 730 BC

Steiner's Ranch, 11:10 AM

To All

After a long and restless night, you awake to a gray sky filled with rain clouds. The scent of food wafts into your bedchambers from outside, where another charming breakfast awaits, again having been prepared by Steiner's virtual horde of servants. Concerning these servants, you have come to learn that most of them are very grateful to Lord Hiregaard, and that they have chosen a life of labor on his ranch as opposed to one of abject poverty in Liara. They are a hardy and proud lot, and their loyalty is rewarded by Steiner, who provides them with shelter and three square meals a day, in addition to a modicum of pay! Sadly, it is a far better deal than they could hope to find elsewhere in Nova Vaasa...

Eventually you are greeted by Philip and Vegaard, who by their demeanor, are less grateful to their lord. Tight-lipped as ever, they lead you to the edge of Steiner's land, where you must climb a steep grassy hill. At the crest of this hill lies a large trodden field where the days festivities will take place. Smoke rises from several covered pits in the ground, and a mob of guests has already begun to gather. So far, only members of Nova Vaasa’s peasant class appear to be present, and many of these men and women are focusing on erecting pavilions, in case of inclement weather. One such man is fully bearded like Grim, and of similarly impressive size. He appears awkward in the crowd, as if he doesn’t know anyone, or perhaps he has some problem communicating…

With an excellent view of the grassy plains below, Steiner's entire ranch is visible from the field... Consequently, the Equaar camp is visible at your vantage as well... As you find yourself staring at those far off tents, you can't stop memories of last night's events from flooding your mind, and the realization that Steiner's celebration coincides with a Vistani funeral sends a chill down your spine! Dark storm clouds aside, you have an ill feeling about today... Dame Antona had said something about dark times ahead, hadn't she?..

For the first time in some while, Kamose is absent from the group. He is still in that creepy woman's clutches no doubt and serving as her brother's mortician! Worse still, the healer had felt a kinship with Frinkelo, and he mourned the wagoner's passing... Judging from the way Frinkelo's body was covered up, the age of his corpse, and the manner of his death, Kamose's task couldn't be an easy one...

You now find yourself with a little dilemma... If you attend Steiner's feast in your honor, you will undoubtedly miss Frinkelo's wake and funeral, but if you skip "your own" celebration in order to pay your respects to the dead, Steiner would most certainly be insulted! Perhaps there is a way to do both? Surely Steiner wouldn't knowingly throw a party in the rain, and alongside a funeral no less?..
Last edited by Nemesio on Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Nemesio
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Nemesio »

FLASHBACK TO LAST NIGHT...
Zilfer wrote:"When we knew each other all those years ago and I hadn't lost my memory, did I have this sword? Do you know if it was from my family? My memories are.... clouded but this has been something I've always kept with me almost as if it was my parent," said Felix turning his eye to look down at it. A sudden thought crossed his mind. "Could it be this is what holds a cloak over my memories? I remember traveling to Castle Avernus to try and study it's history but I don't ever remember making it there from Nartok.... Why would I have bypassed Avernus if I was coming from Nevuchar Springs?..."
Nina smiles warmly as she walks over to Felix and takes him by the hands.

“Oh Knife-Ears, you have changed, but then Darkon has a way of changing people. Doesn’t it? Some have even ventured to say that the land itself distorts memories, and eventually “claims” foreigners who tarry too long…

"To answer your question, I do not recognize your sword, but I do remember the day that your family took you away from Nova Vaasa… It was many years ago, and as I recall, you were very unhappy about it, but they insisted that it was the best thing for you... Looking back, I cannot say that I blame them. Nova Vaasa is no place for one of your ilk. But here you are, reunited with a homeland that you cannot even remember, and you are not the only one to come back… Over a decade ago, your father returned as well, and he was not alone... There was a woman at his side, though she was unfamiliar to me… Ever the sword for hire, he and this Richmuloise swashbuckler ended up being recruited by Duke Bevis Vistin. I have heard that they now serve as the Duke's personal bodyguards whenever he ventures into Bergovista... Unfortunately I know little else… When it became clear that you and your mother were no longer with your father, I feared the worst... I never did build up the courage to approach him…”

"Perhaps Ilairam can shed some light on that blade you carry. By the look of the weapon, it could have even been your father's at one time. Perhaps it was a parting gift... I should warn you. If you do decide to seek out your father, try to have an open mind. He is unlikely to be expecting a visit from you, and if he did indeed abandon you in Darkon, he must have had a good reason to do so..."

"Now I have a few questions for you Felix... Sorry to pry, but what do you remember of your parents? Do you know what became of your beautiful mother? I haven't seen Faelwen in so very long... She was such a kind soul, and I would much like to speak with her again..."
Zilfer wrote:"Then I have a second question for you afterwards, though I know you must be tired from this whole ordeal," said Felix as he inadvertantly looked over to where Frinkelo's body had been at the thought of death. "I met a man during my stay in Darkon named Dimmer, he grew to be a friend and a mentor of sorts however I met his Killer mere moments before his death and they looked exactly the same. Demlyn, I think his name was. He said that Dimmer was fated to find and kill him so that's why he had shot him. I can't believe Dimmer would ever do such a thing... Demlyn claimed he was a clone of him but that kind of magic is too far down a path I dare not look. Those who have looked into Necromancy usually find a fate worse than death. So I ask for your council, I'm not sure if I meet this Demlyn again that I won't kill him, but if I have.... something to stop me I think I'll be able to manage."
“I cannot say for sure whether this Demlyn character speaks the truth. I have heard stranger tales however… Perhaps you should not be so hasty when dealing out judgments…”
Last edited by Nemesio on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grimquest
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Grimquest »

No matter the tragedy or the dilemma Grim is one of the lucky few on this world or any other, that has no problem getting a full and restful nights sleep. He rose earlier than most being one of the first to fall asleep the previous night. Being a man of action Grim quickly worked his way up the servant chain to get to someone who could understand him and then to someone who had some authority.

Not wanting to bother his friends he hired a translator. Grim's main purpose in this was to get groomed, cleaned up (himself and his armor and equipment) and to purchase some stylish new clothes. Grim wants to look the part of well off business man warrior noble. This will help him with the plan he plans to set in motion as soon as The opprtunity presented itself. Also as a sign of respect as to his knowkedge was customary at wakes and funerals. Grim also wants to send a letter via courier to their host about the current situation. In the letter it explains the wake of their close friend and traveling companion and that they will be fashionably late to their party as to not insult the memory of Frinkelo. That Grim knows that since their host had no idea of the wake no insult is taken and that he knows that being a gracious and understanding host he will understand the current situation and decision that had to be made.

While passing from one place to another Grim keeps his eyes open for locations of interest. Being in a rush Grim vows to set more time aside at his first opportunity. Since he is paying top dollar and waking those that are still asleep as light is still breaking he is able to get an extrodinary amount done in a short amount of time. Of course where money fails Grims imposing size and intimidating determination help to get things done. It seemed word of the heroes that slew the 3 headed monstrosity was already spreading like wildfire and because of this deals and gifts came quickly and easily.
Grimquest
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Grimquest »

Upon Grims return he feels great. Groomed, clean, with new clothes and polished armor and weapons Grim looked and felt like an entirely different person. Taking in the current situation he decides to confront the man who seems to be out of place. Always feeling out of place himself he empathizes with the man as he goes through the motions of trying to fit in. Grim smiles and says Hello in all the languages he knows. If that fails he still has his trusty translator for the rest of the day.

Grim was becoming fond of his hired hand she was very intelligent and knowledgeable. It also didn't hurt that she was young and attractive. He was paying top dollar and he wasn't sure which skill set he valued more or which determined her high daily wage but he didn't mind either way. He was happy he still had her for the rest of the day and planned to implement her in his planas an important piece on the chess game he was about to start.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

FLASH BACK

Felix was only half disappointed when Nina came up with no answer for the sword; though she held the same idea that perhaps it had belonged to his family. Though if his father had given it to him as a parting gift I wonder why he had to leave. Perhaps he thought I’d be better off in Darkon… and getting an Education in Il Aluk had to be one of the top things on his mind right? Perhaps he had thought it would be better if I became an educated man unlike him? A mercenary good with a sword, and as they say those who live by the sword die by the sword.

He committed the name Duke Bevis Vistin to memory for later so that he could perhaps ask his newly gracious host Sir Hiregaard, about the man and perhaps where he lived. He was unsure of whether he would confront his father, and if he did so… should he act as if he knew his father? Or perhaps he should feint innocence just to see him and gauge the reaction. No doubt he could perhaps fashion a reason to meet with this Duke though the book he had been studying on enchantments could perhaps be his way in. If he were to ‘gift’ the Duke with such a weapon he might gain audience though since he would be considered rabble and doubly untrustworthy being an elf here he no doubt would have his ‘bodyguards’ nearby. Or perhaps he’d have to catch him while he was in Bergovista which meant Felix was going to need a map of Nova Vassa. Something to think about with the small fortune they had made on the road.

His father returning with a Richemuloise was interesting enough though somehow he didn’t find it too surprising though he couldn’t put a finger on why. Though thinking on it for a brief moment he wondered just how much languages he had learned in ‘school’ and how many he had actually picked up on travels… He hoped to whatever beings might be out there that Falkovnian he had learned in Il Aluk… though he realized now that might be a class Darkonians might never take for they were the enemy….

“I will have to seek this Ilairam out then for more details on my sword than, I thank you for the mention,” said Felix bowing his head slightly and sheathing the blade back onto his back. He only smiled as he made his next joke on his own behalf. “You could ask any questions you like Nina, I’m an open book. Well as open as a book can be with missing pages.”

“My parents? Well I remember them being firm, the most. They also however weren’t serious all the time, I think or… rather feel that they taught me Elvish to connect me to the past with my ancestors. I know a great many Elven customs which I’ve not seen in any books. I don’t remember us having very much money ever, and I get the picture of beautiful mountains that must be somewhere else other than here were we lived for a time,” said Felix trying to focus as much as he could on drawing out scattered images in his brain. “My father I think had a temper towards Human’s that my mother tempered out. I think he didn’t like how elves were treated with distrust despite having done nothing wrong… but my mother was always forgiving of such slights. I think you are part of the reason I don’t hold my father’s racism though not that he’d display such in public.”

“Faelwen… “ muttered Felix as if remembering a far off place…

It was cold, the dead of winter actually and he could feel or rather not feel his hands and feet as they moved through the snow. He was still light enough to tread across the top of snow having done so many times before but his father was making them travel further than they had ever gone from the house. He was ahead checking, and always looking around like he expected something to jump out at us but I couldn’t see anything when he did, and I began to wonder if there was anything at all out here in this cold.

“Father, it’s getting dark. We need to start a fire, mother will have to wait for us to return again,” said Felix as he made the futile attempt to rub his hands together to warm them. His father didn’t seem to hear him as he pressed forward the tree’s of the forest looked dark today. He was used to playing in the woods here. The mists were here today flowing through the trees, and obscuring sight beyond the immediate vicinity. “My feet are becoming sore… why can’t we stop father?”

At this he turned around looking not directly at me but past me, as if he expected someone to be on our trail. I looked back but only saw the slow falling snow as if a calm had taken over. I heard only the silence you hear when the snow mutes everything. As if you are the last living souls in the world…

“I need you to be strong now Felix, this isn’t the time for questions,” said my father as I looked up to him. He looked grim, more serious than I had ever seen him before.

“At least tell me what we are doing out here…” I said watching as my breath created mini puffs of mist.

“We are going on a journey far North,” responded Father and I looked back towards the direction of home.

“What about mother…?” I asked before white took my vision. My cheek hurt as heat began to gather there. Father had struck me… but why? His body was tense as if holding something in. Why was father mad?

“She’s gone Felix. Faelwen… is gone… and we don’t have time for this. Just accept this as truth and stay close behind me son,” said my Father who turned and started off. I stood there stunned for a moment. What did he mean… gone…? I’d never see her again like our dog who had been killed by a bear? He had used the same tone when Charlie had died… My father was disappearing ahead and I didn’t have time to think, I ran forward to catch up with him. I didn’t want to get lost in this forest.

I don’t know how long we traveled but that night I remember when we finally got a fire going, it was the first time I had heard my father sing a song that may have been the origin of my mother’s name. Or perhaps she just shared my mother’s name by coincidence. I had heard my mother hum the tune a few times before and now it is a solemn tune I hum today…

Felix’s breath caught for a moment as that memory faded along with the cold chill it had brought. “She’s gone,” said Felix with a definite tone. “I don’t remember how but she’s gone.”

After a brief silence he looked to the tent Kamose had stepped into wondering about Kamose’s parents for a moment. Did he have a similar experience? Though all families were different he realized and it was only wishful thinking to try and forge a kinship out of that. He focused on another subject to avoid his newly found sorrow yet again. Though he knew there was a part of him that had always known.

“I’ll be sure to give Demlyn more of a chance to explain if only to put Dimmer’s memory to rest but if he speaks that Dimmer would have murdered him without a good reason, I will know he’s lying and perhaps HE is the clone,” said Felix before nodding to Nina. “Make sure Kamose gets some rest.”

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Current time

The night had gone by quickly and still he was up before most people even began. He was late to breakfast as he worked well into the afternoon with open books strewn across his bedroom. He was looking up a way to unlock his blade’s potential. He had found Elven writes in a book within Dimmers stash, no doubt he had been keeping it for Felix as well as finding a book on firearms. He knew that would be invaluable notes should he ever attempt to make one. He worked well into the morning until they finally had to pry him from his room to head up to where the party was going to be held.

So, Felix sat watching the proceedings, as he was of little help to most of the people setting up. He had a book and ink out writing his thoughts and ideas into his journal. It appeared that most of things would go without a hitch and he wouldn’t have to worry about impressing any nobles. He had spent a little time this morning preparing for the feast, he hadn’t combed or done anything with his hair in awhile, so he held it elven style today with it straight down to his shoulders instead of hastily tied up like he had done so on their journey. It was longer than he remembered and he was pondering if he should cut it but left that debate for another time. He looked for someone to help that would allow him to help, and when he noticed a rather large man like grim who wasn’t speaking much he just seemed to go about his business setting up he decided to head over to him.

“Excuse me sir, do you speak Vassi?” Felix asked before switching to different languages to attempt to communicate with the man. “Perhaps Mordentish? Or… Darkonese? How about… Balok?”

Which each successive mention he got perhaps what he thought was a confused face... maybe he was just a really silent man thought Felix frowning.

Zanros
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Zanros »

At 6'4" Ragnar towered over the inhabitants of the ranch, giving him a clear view of events. He was far different from those around him, armored in chain, with a shield slung across his back and a pair of weapons by his side (an axe & sword). None challenged his presence, for the towering giant with a beard of dark blond hair and hard brown eyes looked like he could snap such a naysayer in two. Powerfully built as he was.

To Ragnar's eye, the people seemed to be working towards a festival of sorts, what kind in particular he had no clue. What he did know, was there was food. Following his nose, Ragnar came upon a man roasting a pig. Pointing towards a leg that seemed to be finished; Ragnar asked, "Cook, a leg for a starving man."

The cook merely turned around and replied something that Ragnar did not understand. Growling in frustration, Ragnar strode forward and grabbed the leg. Drawing his axe he delivered a powerful stroke, neatly severing the leg from the pig. The cook grew furious, but did not yell; Ragnar's weapon seemed to intimidate him. Holding the leg in his jaw, Ragnar cleaned the axe before he scooped out some coins (a pittance) and placed them into the cook's hand. The cook muttered something that sounded like a complaint, but seemed mollified. As Ragnar moved on the cook gave a shout that sounded happier.

Walking away Ragnar was stopped by a man in polished armor, weapons gleaming at his side. He was about Ragnar's height and seemed to be speaking several languages at him. However, Ragnar recognized none. At the man's side was a pretty young lass who seemed to be observing Ragnar. Ragnar, choosing to use the one tongue of this strange realm he had managed to learn garbled out, "Strange it is to see a man armored. Most I have come across are not so fortunate."

The girl's eyes seemed to narrow even as another man approached, this one much smaller with his hair tied up in braids; similar to Ragnar's own beard, but the braids seemed more delicate than Ragnar's own. This man too, spoke in several tongues, switching to rapidly for Ragnar to be sure he understood. He cleared his throat before speaking again, "I am Ragnar, Tepestani and tongues of Midgard my language. Do you understand my speech?"

At this the woman spoke, "I speak a little Tepestani, these men are attempting to talk to you, and give you greeting. Perhaps I could speak for you on behalf of my employer?"

Ragnar's face broke into a huge grin, it had been many moons since he last had been able to talk to someone! "I am Ragnar, a warrior of Midgard. Long it has been, before another's voice I understood. Please pretty gem, tell them my words."

No matter his joy, Ragnar kept his stance guarded even as he devoured the leg roast he had procured. A starving man he still was, but caution would prevent a foolish death. The roast was delicious though, and Ragnar was already planning to grab another after he finished eating.

Image of Ragnar
Metaflux
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Metaflux »

After wandering with Felix's company back to Steiner's Ranch, he ravenously consumed his own portion of the meal set before the group, and went into the room that was assigned to him. Pacing between a small desk with ink and paper set towards the wall and the four poster bed that inhabited the opposite portion of the room, Null's mind raged with such a drive that it consumed him. Whenever a maid would knock on the door, all sound of boots stopped, muttering ceased, and after feeling a chill run down her spine, she would stumble away from the room in fright, as if the very chamber held the coldest fate she could imagine.

The night had not been enough for Null, whose thoughts were racing at such a pace, one might think he'd burn himself from the inside out. Since the meeting with Dame Antonina, he simply couldn't accept her conclusion. "There must be a way," he kept saying. Variations of that phrase was all that he could speak, and not but the occasional wolf's howl distracted him from his unearthly trance, for he'd spent all his life on this one purpose, and he would not be stopped by some damned witch!

He had not slept a wink while running his thoughts back through the infinite abyss that was his past. Plague filled memories were all that answered back, and each time he pushed further back into his history, the more he remembered his many mistakes; atrocities that had best been left forgotten, but had to be uncovered once more. "Progress...I must make progress..." Further he drove, and with each increasing hour he spent in mental agony, the regrets and recollected crimes he'd locked away began to break free.

The sun rose, but it made no difference. The cleric's failed attempts to look for answers once more was inconclusive, and so, opening the door for the morning breakfast, he meandered his way through the house, into the dining hall, and proceeded to feast with everyone present. No one looked his way for the eyes he wore could vaguely be seen eerily glowing if one looked hard enough. On top of that, he ate with such an appetite, the servants had to avoid him or else hear a snarl as they tried to clear the plate he was once more piling with sustenance. Afterwards, he returned to his room and renewed his tortured venture once more. Hours passed, and once a short knock on the door was followed by a question as to if Sir Null was joining the party, not a sound replied.

The door opened, and the last the servant saw was a cloak vanishing out the window.