Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Scholar of Decay

Post by Zilfer »

Spoilers?
VIEW CONTENT:
I would say it possibly ends sadly and i'm unclear as to whether Louis is DEAD or not. Though Jackie is afraid of being alone.... so maybe not. Aurek may never recover I'm not sure either. I would prefer he did, though I could just as easily see him recovering and then going for revenge. !

I forgot if his killer was ever identified. I don't think it was that he died when he cast that spell....
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Weeeeell...

Spoilers bellow !
So, don't read below unless you've read the book.

Well, I don't know if the book is canon, it seems non-canonical to me, but still very nice. Aurek survives in the book. Nobody dies.
My question is...
who is Jaques' father?! Is Jaques canonical? I've never heard about him in Jaquiline's bio.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:Weeeeell...

Spoilers bellow !
So, don't read below unless you've read the book.

Well, I don't know if the book is canon, it seems non-canonical to me, but still very nice. Aurek survives in the book. Nobody dies.
My question is...
who is Jaques' father?! Is Jaques canonical? I've never heard about him in Jaquiline's bio.

The person she was looking for? Sorry it's been awhile since I've read the book.... xD

Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Jacques appeared on the Renier family tree from the Black Box. Jacqueline killed her human husband after she had his kids, which is common for women in the family.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Kids? Does she have more children?
Also, what was grandpa Claude's curse? I bet it was that he had to deal with the incompetent family of his. Most of them can't even read or write.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Jacques appeared on the Renier family tree from the Black Box. Jacqueline killed her human husband after she had his kids, which is common for women in the family.

Sounds like a black widow.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Indeed, though it sounds like the people they just have a "fling" with don't end up well either unless your are lucky or still useful.

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Well, as I said I don't know whether Jaquiline and Louise are quite like the characters presented in the book. Still, I have to say that Louise tells Aurek that if Jaquiline didn't approve of her relationship with Dmitri, she would have killed Dmitri early on.
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:Well, as I said I don't know whether Jaquiline and Louise are quite like the characters presented in the book. Still, I have to say that Louise tells Aurek that if Jaquiline didn't approve of her relationship with Dmitri, she would have killed Dmitri early on.
Yes, but if Jacqueline liked Aurek just the slightest bit don't you think she would refrain from killing his brother? I mean blood's thicker than water right? :D

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I think that if Jaquiline liked Aurek she would turn to wererat in front of him. Even smelling the old shirt of Henri Debois (her lover) she kept under her bed, made her start changing her form.

In the book it's pretty clear that Jaquiline doesn't care even a bit for Dmitri and Louise, which actually infuriates Louise.
My DMGuild work!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Jacqueline's curse only makes her transform if she's genuinely in love with someone. If she just likes them, or has the hots for them, or feels genuine but non-romantic affection for them, it's not an issue.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Jacqueline's curse only makes her transform if she's genuinely in love with someone. If she just likes them, or has the hots for them, or feels genuine but non-romantic affection for them, it's not an issue.
That's what I meant. With the difference that I don't think Jaquiline can feel a genuine but non-romantic affection for someone. Even the romantic thing, is part of her curse.
My DMGuild work!
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

alhoon wrote:Kids? Does she have more children?
She has 4 total, per the Black Box (Legacy of the Blood uses the plural term children, but does not specify a number). Only Jacques was named (and he is the only one who appears in Scholar of Decay, although by the timeline all the others had been born and Dominic Soufel was already dead when the book took place).
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
Rogold Gildenman
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Rogold Gildenman »

Renier family reunions must be a pill "So who dies this time?" "don't you mean who died this time?" "asked and answered"

<Some days later a corpse was found in the canals, cause of death best described as acute grammatical pedantry cured by the violent excision of all vocal chords … and the rest of his throat.>