Grimm!

Books, movies, television and everything else
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Grimm!

Post by steveflam »

It is the 200th anniversary of Grimm Fairy Tales!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Grimm!

Post by HuManBing »

Woo hoo!

I remember when my parents bought me the collected tales. It was a huge book, and I was about four or five.

I read a few of the stories, and the first impression I got was how violent they were. If you reach into the wrong hollow in a tree trunk: whipped until your skin comes off your arm. If you drop a bowl and your stepmother hears it: boiled in a soup with bones used for spoons. If you snub a poor peasant girl and the prince later on falls in love with her: forced to dance on a bed of knives in a bonfire until your charred husk collapses in an ashen heap.

Granted, some of the stories are great jolly adventures (I seem to recall one where a young man found six adventuring buddies, each with a special power that allows him to overcome obstacles). But definitely Parental Guidance recommended!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

:P ah come on what's wrong with children loosing their innocense? XD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Well usually it results in a powers check... And now a days... Prison time.... :P
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Pre-Diz-knee fairy tales. :D An excellent example of how sanitized, sterilized, and protective modern society is. I highly recommend reading the original faerie (not fairy) tales that haven't been censored and altered for modern sensibilities. These were tales told to children to try and discourage bad behavior. Not unlike modern urban myths, really. And yes, they can be very gory, violent, and explicit. Like how the witch's gingerbread house's mortar is real blood and bleeds when Hansel and Gretel bite into it.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:Pre-Diz-knee fairy tales. :D An excellent example of how sanitized, sterilized, and protective modern society is. I highly recommend reading the original faerie (not fairy) tales that haven't been censored and altered for modern sensibilities. These were tales told to children to try and discourage bad behavior. Not unlike modern urban myths, really. And yes, they can be very gory, violent, and explicit. Like how the witch's gingerbread house's mortar is real blood and bleeds when Hansel and Gretel bite into it.
Amen to that.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Well then. That's intereting..... a bleeding house... hmmm.... have to think on that one. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

Zilfer wrote:Well then. That's intereting..... a bleeding house... hmmm.... have to think on that one. :)
Wait-don't most houses do that? What's so special about it?

Did yours-die? You aren't still living in a dead house are you? That's just WRONG... :cry:
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

order99 wrote: Did yours-die? You aren't still living in a dead house are you? That's just WRONG... :cry:
:azalin:
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

order99 wrote:
Zilfer wrote:Well then. That's intereting..... a bleeding house... hmmm.... have to think on that one. :)
Wait-don't most houses do that? What's so special about it?

Did yours-die? You aren't still living in a dead house are you? That's just WRONG... :cry:
Uh, no. I expect to see the concrete "sweat" a bit, but if it starts bleeding I'm getting the duck out of Fodge! (And there have been cases of what people thought was blood oozing out of concrete; it's always turned out to be rust from rebar due to a poor laying that left bubbles. Either way it's a very bad sign.)
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

Well,any house needs a little iron in its system for proper functioning. Also copper, minerals to keep a lustrous coat, some protein now and then to encourage healthy fiber formation....which reminds me, i'll be right back-

(adds more compost around foundation)

-That didn't take long. My neighbors think i'm over-watering it....but in 10 more years it's gonna be a Duplex! First prize here I come! :mrgreen:

On a completely unrelated note, where are all the Jehovah's Witnesses and Insurance salesmen lately? Is the herd thinning out or something? :wink:
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".