Top 5 Favorite Domains

Discussing all things Ravenloft
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Top 5 Favorite Domains

Post by brilliantlight »

Strahdsbuddy wrote:

2. Dementleiu. "This place is great" said an naive player about the lovely city of Port-a-Lucine. "No werevolves, no vampires, no ghosts, no worries." Suckers.

1. Mordent. Sure it has the feel of a "Starter" domain for 1st level characters, but I took the information in I-10 and built a campaign I'm very proud of in this sleepy little port that seems to attract all sorts of danger. The normality of the place is a horror all its own, sort of like a dark version of the Shire, where no sensible folk dare leave the safety of their town, but have a grudging respect for the ones that keep them safe.
Indeed with the right DM Mordent and Dementleiu can be as deadly as Blutespur or Vechor.
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

I keep going round and round with Richemulot, trying to come up with a way to do a story there without ripping off Games Workshop or White Wolf. Not that I have a problem with blatant intellectual theft when it comes to running a game (Writing? Yes. Crafting a campaign? Hell no!) but I don't want to do a Ratkin/Skaven storyline in this campaign. (I have always seen more Ratkin than Skaven in the domain, but I can see how you could see it the other way around...) There's so much going on there, but I just can't seem to see the story I want to tell there.
brilliantlight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by brilliantlight »

Jimsolo wrote:I keep going round and round with Richemulot, trying to come up with a way to do a story there without ripping off Games Workshop or White Wolf. Not that I have a problem with blatant intellectual theft when it comes to running a game (Writing? Yes. Crafting a campaign? Hell no!) but I don't want to do a Ratkin/Skaven storyline in this campaign. (I have always seen more Ratkin than Skaven in the domain, but I can see how you could see it the other way around...) There's so much going on there, but I just can't seem to see the story I want to tell there.
Here is an idea if you are willing to ignore some of the fluff. Have it NOT known that there are a lot of wererats in Richemulot as Jacqueline is keeping that fact from being known. She doesn't want to scare off the potential food supply so she tells her family to keep the fact hidden and she impresses on the family not to "over-hunt" and only create more wererats with her permission. The party finds out about the existence of wererats in her realm and she is trying to cover that up without creating too much of a commotion. She mocks the idea of there being wererats in public, she spreads nasty rumors about the party and frames one of them for murder. The party is now hunted by the guards and assassins that she sends after them. The ordinary citizen calls for the guard if they realize that one of the party fits the description of the murderer. The tension is high as the party has to avoid wererats, assassins and guards while they have to hide from the public at large. Their challenge would be simply leaving her domain.
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

Good idea, unfortunately, my PCs already know all about wererats and Richemulot. The first bard in the group was from there, and during the werebadger plot, kept thinking the mutilated bodies were because he was secretly a wererat and I just wasn't telling him. He told the other PCs enough info, in character, that keeping Jackie's Mouseketeer brigade a secret is out of the question at this point. I don't think it's an unreasonable suggestion, though. I might even use it at some point.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Jimsolo wrote:Good idea, unfortunately, my PCs already know all about wererats and Richemulot. The first bard in the group was from there, and during the werebadger plot, kept thinking the mutilated bodies were because he was secretly a wererat and I just wasn't telling him. He told the other PCs enough info, in character, that keeping Jackie's Mouseketeer brigade a secret is out of the question at this point. I don't think it's an unreasonable suggestion, though. I might even use it at some point.
Perhaps you could do something with the 'unexplained' ruins that liter this realm. No one seems to know what happened in the past. Just make up what happened and why there's almost no evidence of it. :)
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

Or something related to the piper from "tales of Ravenloft"
my bones among the rocks and roots
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

For that matter, Richemulot isn't a bad choice of places to run a completely non-supernatural plotline about a mundane crime or conspiracy. Just because there are wererats there doesn't mean every adventure has to feature them: Richemulot is the land of character-assassination and blackmail too, and its human inhabitants can be pretty crafty and unscrupulous even if they're not sneaking around eating or infecting people.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Five
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Five »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:For that matter, Richemulot isn't a bad choice of places to run a completely non-supernatural plotline about a mundane crime or conspiracy. Just because there are wererats there doesn't mean every adventure has to feature them: Richemulot is the land of character-assassination and blackmail too, and its human inhabitants can be pretty crafty and unscrupulous even if they're not sneaking around eating or infecting people.
Good point. Richemulot: land of the ratrace. Literally and figuratively. I'm more inclined to save the wererats for special occasions. But as everybody acts like bloody rats (how can they not, given the social hierarchy of the place?), it's oftetimes hard to distinguish who is what and what's from who.
"A very piteous thing it was to see such a quantity of dead bodies, and such an outpouring of blood - that is, if they had not been enemies of the Christian faith."

- Jean Pierre Sarrasin, "The Memoirs of the Lord of Joinville"
Jimsolo
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jimsolo »

Five wrote:But as everybody acts like bloody rats (how can they not, given the social hierarchy of the place?), it's oftetimes hard to distinguish who is what and what's from who.
Nice way to put it. Everybody in Richemulot is a rat. Some of them just turn into monsters once in a while...
ewancummins
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by ewancummins »

Jimsolo wrote:I keep going round and round with Richemulot, trying to come up with a way to do a story there without ripping off Games Workshop or White Wolf. Not that I have a problem with blatant intellectual theft when it comes to running a game (Writing? Yes. Crafting a campaign? Hell no!) but I don't want to do a Ratkin/Skaven storyline in this campaign. (I have always seen more Ratkin than Skaven in the domain, but I can see how you could see it the other way around...) There's so much going on there, but I just can't seem to see the story I want to tell there.
I my Mists over the Musarde game, the wererats barely showed up at all. One had a cameo role-- good old Ignatz.

The man foes for the Richemulot portion of the game were human gangsters mixed up in black magic and ghosts.
One gangster was a were-mink pimp armed with pistols.
One was reanimated as a druagr after being killed/driven to his death by the PCs (jumped/fell out of a tower when Tarlyn's PC got torture happy...)

EDIT- I should say 'barely showed up as antagonists or in wererat form'. The darklord was involved...as a patroness to one of the PCs. :twisted:
Delight is to him- a far, far upward, and inward delight- who against the proud gods and commodores of this earth, ever stands forth his own inexorable self.

-from Moby Dick (Hermann Melville)