Jeff Dunham: Minding the Monsters

Books, movies, television and everything else
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jeff Dunham: Minding the Monsters

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

If you're a fan of ventriloquist and Funniest Comedian in America, Jeff Dunham (and if you don't know who that is, WTF if wrong with you?!?!) you'll get a kick out of his latest release: Minding the Monsters. Where his Suitcase Posse are dressed up in costumes of things that scare them the most--well, one does. Walter is Crankenstein (Cranky Frakenstein's Monster; he was going to come as a Catholic priest because that did scare him as a kid, but that "would offend the Mexicans." Hey! I'm part-Mexican!) while Bubba J is Beer-cula (a beer-sucking white-trash vampire, who was going to come as a ghost but "Someone backstage told me a redneck in a white sheet was a bad idea."). Peanut and José Jalapeño-on-a-Steek are Batnut and Ruben, and Achmed the Dead Terrorist is an American woman, a play on the not-entirely-inaccurate stereotype of severe patriarchal (and misogynistic) attitudes in the Middle East, which he fears for "Being able to vote." AJ (Achmed, Jr.) makes a cameo at the introduction. Little Jeff also makes an appearance as Batnut's archenemy, The Loser. The latter two were introduced in Controlled Chaos, which is not available streaming on Netflix (yet).

Some of the normal characterizations are not there because even the dummies are in character. So no "Silence! I keel you!" or other familiar phrases. It does come across as a little stilted, but it's still going to make you laugh. I do recommend listening to the dog stories before Jeff gets to the puppets, especially the one about his new Jack Russel Terrier. It's almost as funny as the little guys in suitcases. And do pay special attention to Peanut's (Batnut's?) double entendres about the names of candy. It'll make you think twice about dipping into the bowl. :D
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Jeff Dunham: Minding the Monsters

Post by steveflam »

Not to put you down but he is not that funny IMO. Then again I like the Venture Brothers and Archer. Not same type of humor I suppose...... ;)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I used to like him when I first saw him. Then I was excited when he got his own show. But I couldn't make it through more than a couple episodes. I think it's a case of "good in small doses" with me. A little goes a long way. But too much was too much.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

tarlyn wrote:Not to put you down but he is not that funny IMO. Then again I like the Venture Brothers and Archer. Not same type of humor I suppose...... ;)
That's not my opinion. He really was voted Funniest Comedian in America in 2011 (and highest grossing comedian, but his ex-wife got half). It's still too early for the 2012 results.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:I used to like him when I first saw him. Then I was excited when he got his own show. But I couldn't make it through more than a couple episodes. I think it's a case of "good in small doses" with me. A little goes a long way. But too much was too much.
Yeah, the show was pretty bad. It never made it past the initial episodes, thank the gods. The DVDs are good for when you want to laugh but I agree. Best saved for the odd watching.

Also pay attention to the names on the graves in the opening. Those are the names of dummies he's retired.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Not seen Minding the Monsters yet but looking forward to it. However, Controlled Chaos is available on streaming Netflix, at least here in the UK at least.
Swallow your soul!
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Not seen Minding the Monsters yet but looking forward to it. However, Controlled Chaos is available on streaming Netflix, at least here in the UK at least.
Maybe I need to search anew. It would be nice if it is. Also don't watch the Comedy Central version of MtM; they butchered it by cutting out several parts, including the dialogue between Peanut and José about how Jeff's getting old and some jokes about José's only real weapon as Ruben: mace.