3.5 edition
65%

Total votes: 17

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Which Edition you use?

Post by alhoon »

The question is obvious. I use 3.5 mostly, though I use a few rules of my own and a few from the 3rd edition.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Personally, I use the third edition for almost all of my roleplaying games. With my tabletop sessions being rather scattered and infrequent, I found that the rules in third edition were much easier to understand and follow for my players. The simple fact that the d20 is used for most of the rolls helps make things move a lot faster.

Having said that, there are a lot of things from the second edition that I do tend to miss. If nothing else, second edition tended to focus a little bit more heavily on the "acting" part of roleplaying and not the "dice-rolling" part. I certainly wouldn't say that you cannot do this for 3.0 or 3.5, but the newer editions have scores that determine it moreso than the player's ability.

As for 3.5, I have no intention to switch over anytime soon. I've read through the books, but they do not offer me anything that makes buying a whole new set of books worth while. Perhaps, I might buy the newer edition when my current books finally fall to pieces. Until then, however, I will use my 3.0 books (unless something truly better comes along).

Jason 8)
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

None of the above. The last regular D&D game I played in was 1st edition (the DM was from WAY back) and any games I play now use my crossbreed system.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

I play using my 3rd books but with 3.5 updates to some classes or monsters
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Same as Charney. 3.0, but we grab some classes, feats and a few rules from the 3.5 SRD online.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

It is best to say that I use 2.75. I use a mix of 2E, 3E and 3.5, taking what I like from each edition.
Swallow your soul!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I wasn't going to switch over but I did and now play 3.5.
Partially it was because I like Rangers and really felt they were/are too weak in 3.0.
And also because I found copies of all three books at a con for dirt cheap. kinda a 3for2 special. I figured 'why not'?
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I find the 3.5 edition more complete, though I prefer the 3.0. I don't like the very realistic rules, I like playing, not simulate the real life. :wink:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
jamesravenwing
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jamesravenwing »

I use 3.5 ed. I liked what they did to the ranger and monk as well some of the spells that wetre tweaked. I pretty much use the SRD and 3.0 PHB to figure my way out.

I just picked up Arcana Unearthed and I really like it. May switch to that soon.
"His eyes had all the seeming of a demon that was dreaming..."

"Let me also wear
Such deliberate disguises
Rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves"
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

jamesravenwing wrote:I just picked up Arcana Unearthed and I really like it.
I have played a couple of sessions with it and...I don't like it.
I don't like the change with wizards, clerics and druids. I prefer play with the original ones instead of one spellcaster who can cast any spell of them if he has it in his spellbook. But most of all I hate the battle system. I prefer to know how much damage my character has done. :roll:
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Grigg_Deadbreaker
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Grigg_Deadbreaker »

I use 2e, but there are one or two things I would adapt from 3e, such as poison effects and some of the commoner and aristocrat classes.

My most basic reason for not switching to 3e is that I'm more comfortable with the 2e rules and look. Whatever doesn't work for me or my game I can change. Plus it's not that difficult to back-convert useable material (such as Prestige classes to 2e kits or classes) when need be.

A more worldly reason is that I don't feel like shelling out around $60 for new rules to a game I feel I already have. The main exception, of course, being for RL books. If I decide to switch over to any d20 system rules, it will be for a game other than D&D, maybe Call of Cthulu for example.
Shadowking
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

3rd edition all the way!

Post by Shadowking »

I solely use 3.0 edition, mostly because I don't have the patience to learn all the new rules and refuse to spend money buying minor fixes and updates such as the Ravenloft Player's Handbook.
"To bring down the monster you have to become a monster"
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

I use 3.5. I stuck to 2e longer than most, and by the time I realized that I liked 3e better they'd already come out with 3.5 and there was no sense in getting 3 instead.
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

3e for me. I've read through various parts of 3.5, and while I like a few of the changes, there are also a bunch that I don't care for. When my current campaign ends I plan on using a mixture of 3 and 3.5 for the next one (3.5 rangers, bards, monks, etc. but not going to all the trouble of altered spells and whatnot). I'm not going to change game mechanics in mid-campaign, though, so it's still 3e for me.
Sunstar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Sunstar »

IMRVC we use 3rd edition rules, just because half my party hasn't ever played with 2nd ed...
When I play as a player (FR) we use 3.5. I have to admit it's pretty annoying building a theyan to become a red wizard and potentially an archmage, passing the DM control (of course that was hard, I'm asking weird things here, you see?), and loosing the character just because we converted into 3.5 in the middle of the campaign, the specialization requires abandoning two schools, Red Wizard PrC requires 2 more, so bye bye archmage. grrrr :x :x :x
Anyway, I kinda prefer 3rd - I had a nusty 3.5 welcome :x
...don't you cry for me, for your tears of blood will blind your eyes...