The Raven

Books, movies, television and everything else
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Raven

Post by steveflam »

Going to go see this movie tonight. Don't care about the mixed reviews. Prefer to judge for myself :D
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Raven

Post by Zilfer »

I enjoyed the movie myself. It's not anything jaw-dropping and I enjoyed the references to edgar's poems/stories. Don't go thinking it's a horror it's more of a Mystery.

I'd give it myself a 4/5 but i tend to be more open minded than other people. :D

For those that don't know the general gist, someone is using Edgar Allen Poe's Stories/Poems as inspiration for killing. The expected twist at the end of most mysteries wasn't too surprising I was disappointed that I wasn't able to guess the killer but there's a reason for that one XD.

Definately, liked that last five seconds before the credits. ;D

A few of the scene's had foggy streets/forest which i told my girlfriend. "Now he's in Ravenloft." xD That or Silent Hill xD

So overal enjoyable movie, a few (very few) gory moments and I enjoyed the ending. They kind of try and play it off like this is possibly what happened to Poe during his last weeks. That and apparently they got some historic references in there because my girlfriend kept going "oh yeah he went into the military because of his uncle." and I think she mentioned something about taking his name "Allen" as a middle name.

Might enjoy the movie better when you know tidbits. xD
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I didn't read your tidbits before the movie. I enjoyed it overall. I know nothing about Edgar Allen Poe cept he was a writer. So don't always listen to reviews is my advice ! :D
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

^no worries!

yes it was a pretty good movie. :D

Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Loved that one. Sure, it's a supremely campy B-movie story with A-list authors, nothing more,
but it is a funny enough flick to watch, and I liked that they portrayed Poe in a way that wasn't embarassing.

Now, it seems the movie was critically panned, so, another missed chance for Gothic fiction to establish itself in Hollywood.

Aah, if only that Lovecraft film had been made, after all...
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

I liked it... and I gave it a favorable review. Which goes to show that I have better taste and am smarter than most other reviewers out there. :D

--Steve Miller
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Whoa someone that lives in washington near me.... o.O' why does steve miller sound familiar.... hmm...

But yeah it was a decent movie, i don't think it needed some of the reviews it got.