The Cabin in the Woods

Books, movies, television and everything else
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Cabin in the Woods

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

All I have to say is - you all need to see this movie. All of you.

If you like horror movies (and chances are that you do if you are reading this) and you are a horror fan (again...chances are that if you are reading this, you are) you owe it to yourself to go watch this movie.

To explain any of it without ruining the movie would be difficult. The early buzz for this movie was strong and the buzz continues to be strong for it.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Cabin in the Woods

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

I saw it, and it came across as more of a satirical criticism of modern horror. I was actually laughing out loud in places, it was so ridiculous. Sites like Rotten Tomatoes agree; it's not really horror but horror-comedy where horror fans are challenged to pick apart the trite cliches and archetypes, to predict how a character will die and when, and guess what movies are being targeted. It has its moments of genuine horror, but it's more like The Evil Dead II where if you go in expecting to laugh you get more enjoyment out of it.

Several reviews, and an interview with co-writer and producer Joss Whedon, pretty much back up the idea that it's a satire of what's good and bad about horror movies these days. And I have to admit I agree; the popularity of the Saw movies (how many have they made now? Six? Seven?) is an object example of horror turning into socially acceptable snuff. If you want to see mindless bloodshed and suffering visit a major metropolitan ER. If you want to see sickos on the loose go work in Vice at a police department. I was an intern at both for a time. Movies are supposed to be a break from reality, not unpleasant reminders of it. That's what the writers of this movie pretty much wanted to tell us.

I agree, this is a movie worth seeing. Just don't expect pure horror so much as deliberately used horror tropes pointing fun at the slew of truly awful movies passing themselves off as horror. It's not a sight gag comedy satire like Scary Movie, but it is definitely comedic.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

I think it's more of a satire of teenage survival horror movies, not horror altogether, since that is so broad.

Anyhow, there are certainly a lot of laughing out loud parts. The movie is very funny in many places. But I found just as many parts of the movie disturbing. As Rotten Tomatoes says, "The Cabin in the Woods is an astonishing meta-feat, capable of being funny, strange, and scary -- frequently all at the same time."

That's what I found so intriguing about this movie. There were many times that I was laughing at something but then at the same time horrified by it. The "meta" scenes which did not involve the main characters were probably some of the most disturbing parts of the movie for me.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Haven't seen the movie yet, though I'm dying to. (I think I'll find time this week) But so far everything you've said makes complete sense, since it's a Whedon production. Anyone who's watched Buffy, Angel, Firefly or Dollhouse (and if you haven't, you should) knows that he can hit all those different notes in rapid succession, or all at once... It's kind of what he does, and he usually does it masterfully. (I'm so psyched for this movie...)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Haven't seen the movie yet, though I'm dying to. (I think I'll find time this week) But so far everything you've said makes complete sense, since it's a Whedon production. Anyone who's watched Buffy, Angel, Firefly or Dollhouse (and if you haven't, you should) knows that he can hit all those different notes in rapid succession, or all at once... It's kind of what he does, and he usually does it masterfully. (I'm so psyched for this movie...)
Yes, And not counting the fact that it is the Avengers in two weeks, Joss Whedon is one of the reasons I really want to see The Avengers!!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:If "pro" is the opposite of "con," what's the opposite of congress?
And hence, the controversial text of the Second Amendment of the U.S. Prostitution: The Right To Bare Arms.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

HuManBing wrote:
High Priest Mikhal wrote:If "pro" is the opposite of "con," what's the opposite of congress?
And hence, the controversial text of the Second Amendment of the U.S. Prostitution: The Right To Bare Arms.
The day they take away my right to see people show off their tattoos with bare arms is the day I give in to the festering misanthropy and hate in my heart and turn into something worse than a political terrorist: a political lawyer.
Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Haven't seen the movie yet, though I'm dying to. (I think I'll find time this week) But so far everything you've said makes complete sense, since it's a Whedon production. Anyone who's watched Buffy, Angel, Firefly or Dollhouse (and if you haven't, you should) knows that he can hit all those different notes in rapid succession, or all at once... It's kind of what he does, and he usually does it masterfully. (I'm so psyched for this movie...)
Clear out the calendar and get your butt into a theater. That's an order, soldier!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Took the day off yesterday and saw it. The first theater I was going to stopped playing it overnight, so I had to go to another one. And I was one of 2 people in the theater. So if you want to catch it in the theater, you'd better go soon!

Very well done. As the others have said, don't expect to be scared silly (almost all the scares were telegraphed way ahead of time, so I didn't fall for any of them.) But as a satire and deconstruction of the slasher flick, it was great. Unfortunately, even the first teaser trailer spoiled me on something I'd rather not have been spoiled for...
VIEW CONTENT:
I remembered the scene with Marty and the elevator from the trailer. So when Marty was "killed," I knew he'd be back, because they hadn't found any elevator yet. :(
I advise going into it knowing nothing at all... But definitely see it.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Took the day off yesterday and saw it. The first theater I was going to stopped playing it overnight, so I had to go to another one. And I was one of 2 people in the theater. So if you want to catch it in the theater, you'd better go soon!
Yeah. I saw that. The nameless (and tasteless) masses don't want to see something requring any real thought on their part. But judging by how Saw sequels just keep coming out they do want vacuous stories, graphic violence and gore, and sex object characters. Even ol' George Romero has gone independent (and has been for years) to avoid Hollowood (not a typo) producers ruining what were two very good installments to his Dead series (Diary and Survival of the Dead).
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:Even ol' George Romero has gone independent (and has been for years) to avoid Hollowood (not a typo) producers ruining what were two very good installments to his Dead series (Diary and Survival of the Dead).
Land was the only non-independent Dead movie. As for Survival, it;s problems really started at the script level and were never fixed :(

As for Cabin in the Woods, I watched it recently and was pleasantly surprised, though I felt the end was far to predictable it was still fun.
Swallow your soul!
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I bought the movie on DVD to see it again and, knowing more about it, I was surprised by how dense people can be. Sigourney Weaver literally explains the whole plot at the end and practically whacks people upside the head with the premise of the movie. "Tired stereotypes and increasing gore are needed to sate the Old Gods (read: the movie-watching masses) or the world of movies will be destroyed by loss of interest."

At least the guy got to see his merman before he died. :D