Midnight, by FFG

Discussing all roleplaying games
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Midnight, by FFG

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hey,

So, this came out a few years ago, and was, apparently, quite a success.

I bought a few books from the line cheap on ebay, and I got to say, I am impressed.

First, it's a great addendum to Ravenloftian fantasy.
Second, it seems like the first setting that is a real alternative to the very particular mood we all here love so much.
THIRD, Oh, holy Hextor, copycat much? If you get into the setting, you will find that it's really as close to concepts like MotRD,
or, very much, our Ravenloft. Unintentional or not, it's a GREAT read, and the first time in AGES that I read something that I read
something that gets close to the charm of Ravenloft. :)

So... Thoughts, opinions, experiences? :)

Who has tried Midnight so far? I can't believe I am the first to stumble over this one! :)

Yours,

Rafe
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Re: Midnight, by FFG

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I love Midnight.
They had an intended tone and really nailed it. Even the names of the nations and people were perfect, especially the elves and dwarves which were appropriately Tolkienesque. I have most of the books but really do need to grab the few stragglers.
While my next campaign is Ravenloft and after that I might do Rise of the Runelords or something else, Midnight is always on my mind.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I haven't looked at it myself, but I know it's been brought up here before. Can't find the threads at the moment, but at least you can be sure you're not the only one who likes it. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Grzegorz
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Grzegorz »

I also love midnight and i have one idea
What if Aryth is Greatest domain in Ravenloft?
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I got myself started with the "Fury of Shadow" box - found it SW on ebay for under ten bucks, and didn't think twice.

So far, I am really impressed. Good writing, and some interesting plots to explore.

The one downside is, though, that it seems too easy to break the setting:

I counted about ten direct clues how to directly defeat the "dark god".
Which is nice, but too clearly aiming to drive the DMs into a certain direction.
Also, while the Elven setting seems to be strong point of the setting, the human lands sounded intensely boring.

But, yeah, I think I will try and collect some more of this series over the next few years.
Probably, I'll even run this "Crown of Shadows" at some point. :)
Blackest Sheep
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Blackest Sheep »

I use Midnight as the setting for the one quasi-regular fantasy campaign that I run. My love for the setting has infected several of my players. It is one of the best d20 backgrounds that I encountered, and I am happy that I managed to get all the books before FFG closed it down. If you like fantasy of a darker type, Midnight is definitely worth a close look.