Diablo 3

Books, movies, television and everything else
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Re: Diablo 3

Post by Jester of the FoS »

High Priest Mikhal wrote:The few minutes I was on WoW today I heard some pretty mixed reactions to D3 in Trade. Some like it, some hate it, others can't play it because their machines are too underpowered, etc.
Given everyone who liked it and/or could play probably was playing and not on WoW, the sampling might be a tad biased.
I'm amused by the people whose machines were underpowered. My 5-year-old box can handle it, and I've seen $500 machines at WalMart that blow away the specs. I was actually underwhelmed by the requirements. What type of computer do they have?
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Jester of the FoS wrote:
High Priest Mikhal wrote:The few minutes I was on WoW today I heard some pretty mixed reactions to D3 in Trade. Some like it, some hate it, others can't play it because their machines are too underpowered, etc.
Given everyone who liked it and/or could play probably was playing and not on WoW, the sampling might be a tad biased.
I'm amused by the people whose machines were underpowered. My 5-year-old box can handle it, and I've seen $500 machines at WalMart that blow away the specs. I was actually underwhelmed by the requirements. What type of computer do they have?
I think it has more to do with the graphic card[ I think that is the problem with most pcs who can't handle it ;)] I am only going to play it on the weekend ;)
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

I looked at it today, but I'm going to wait until it's been around for a year or so to get patches and hopefully an offline mode as well. Not to mention to see if anyone can make save and inventory editors for offline-only games (single player games I cheat my munchkin guts out). Plus that real money AH deal is highly unfair to people who don't have disposable incomes. I forsee some sort of backlash from players over that, even if muted.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Jester of the FoS

High Priest Mikhal wrote:I looked at it today, but I'm going to wait until it's been around for a year or so to get patches and hopefully an offline mode as well. Not to mention to see if anyone can make save and inventory editors for offline-only games (single player games I cheat my munchkin guts out).
I doubt there'll be an official offline version of the game. Even an unofficial one would require the data kept on Blizzard's servers.

Just last night my friend was playing his solo character, a Barbarian, and found a rare bow drop that was great for my demon hunter. I was free, so I hopped on Diablo, joined his game, and we made the trade. He didn't have to change anything about his game, he just had to invite me.
High Priest Mikhal wrote:Plus that real money AH deal is highly unfair to people who don't have disposable incomes. I forsee some sort of backlash from players over that, even if muted.
It's really only unfair in the ladder, where people are competing online for top ranking. But that tends to be the very dedicated players who will buy better goods (and were finding way to buy and sell in the old Diablo anyway).
Single player games can ignore it and the existence of the AH altogether. But it's nice to know if I get lucky and find a super-rare drop I can't use, I can just sell it for $$ (or coins) instead of just dumping it on a vendor.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Yikes! Do a search for Diablo 3 reviews and see what major gaming magazines and websites are saying. Even longtime fans of the series are being very unforgiving about the bugs and problems. I will most definitely wait to buy this for at least a year (if the Mayan Long Count doesn't mean we all die :D; the conversion to Gregorian puts it around the first week of Jan. 2013, not the winter solstice of this year).
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
Jester of the FoS

High Priest Mikhal wrote:Yikes! Do a search for Diablo 3 reviews and see what major gaming magazines and websites are saying. Even longtime fans of the series are being very unforgiving about the bugs and problems. I will most definitely wait to buy this for at least a year (if the Mayan Long Count doesn't mean we all die :D; the conversion to Gregorian puts it around the first week of Jan. 2013, not the winter solstice of this year).
The critic reviews on metacritic are universally positive:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

The fan reviews are either positive or negative, with the negatives being 0s. This suggests a very reactionary nerd rage version of reviewing, most having to do with connection issues which will clear up in a matter of weeks.
0/10? Really people?? I've had games that have broken my computer. Actually required new parts to be purchased. While the story looks to be "okay" to "meh" so far and the graphics are super simple as long as I don't need to reformat my hard disc or replace my video card it's at least a 3/10.

I have a very playable time on launch day (playing with a friend and my wife, so two people on the same internet connection). Last night I tried again and had some lag spikes and issues, but it was a Friday night.

The problem is Blizzard forgot Diablo was a beloved franchise and probably underestimated the toll on servers and their system.
But this is largely a self-correcting problem. Blizzard has to be streamlining its infrastructure and increasing the load the servers can handle. And as people beat the game or progress they'll move from playing all night every night to weekly while people move to other games the problems will diminish. Warcraft had horrible lag problems as well in its first month, it was a pretty harsh launch given how smooth the beta had been. But that's all forgotten.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Jester of the FoS wrote:
High Priest Mikhal wrote:Yikes! Do a search for Diablo 3 reviews and see what major gaming magazines and websites are saying. Even longtime fans of the series are being very unforgiving about the bugs and problems. I will most definitely wait to buy this for at least a year (if the Mayan Long Count doesn't mean we all die :D; the conversion to Gregorian puts it around the first week of Jan. 2013, not the winter solstice of this year).
The critic reviews on metacritic are universally positive:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/diablo-iii

The fan reviews are either positive or negative, with the negatives being 0s. This suggests a very reactionary nerd rage version of reviewing, most having to do with connection issues which will clear up in a matter of weeks.
0/10? Really people?? I've had games that have broken my computer. Actually required new parts to be purchased. While the story looks to be "okay" to "meh" so far and the graphics are super simple as long as I don't need to reformat my hard disc or replace my video card it's at least a 3/10.

I have a very playable time on launch day (playing with a friend and my wife, so two people on the same internet connection). Last night I tried again and had some lag spikes and issues, but it was a Friday night.

The problem is Blizzard forgot Diablo was a beloved franchise and probably underestimated the toll on servers and their system.
But this is largely a self-correcting problem. Blizzard has to be streamlining its infrastructure and increasing the load the servers can handle. And as people beat the game or progress they'll move from playing all night every night to weekly while people move to other games the problems will diminish. Warcraft had horrible lag problems as well in its first month, it was a pretty harsh launch given how smooth the beta had been. But that's all forgotten.
Out of IT curiosity... what game did you play that "broke" your computer... <.< and do you know why it broke your computer? Did it mess up the registry or something? o.O'
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Jester of the FoS

Zilfer wrote:Out of IT curiosity... what game did you play that "broke" your computer... <.< and do you know why it broke your computer? Did it mess up the registry or something? o.O'
I can't remember the first one, but the second was Might & Magic IX. I liked the M&M franchise since III, so I was hoping for a good game. Instead I had to reinstall Windows and lost a tonne of data.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_and_ ... l_problems
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Jester of the FoS wrote:
Zilfer wrote:Out of IT curiosity... what game did you play that "broke" your computer... <.< and do you know why it broke your computer? Did it mess up the registry or something? o.O'
I can't remember the first one, but the second was Might & Magic IX. I liked the M&M franchise since III, so I was hoping for a good game. Instead I had to reinstall Windows and lost a tonne of data.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Might_and_ ... l_problems

I like M&M's too, especially the red ones :P