Using BRP

Discussing all things Ravenloft
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Using BRP

Post by herkles »

Hello,

It seems like maybe in a month I might be running ravenloft, and as I do not like dnd for ravenloft; I find that it does not help with the mood and tone but just my opinion after all. I am looking at running it with Basic RolePlay, or BRP. For those that do not know BRP is the system that powers call of Cthulhu. Has anyone used BRP for ravenloft, if so what advice can you give me.

any tips and advice at using BRP for ravenloft is welcome.

-herkles
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Using BRP

Post by HuManBing »

I haven't tried BRP, but here's more general advice for porting settings between systems:

Don't get caught up in the exact interpretations of the rules. Go for something that's close in functionality. Remember, the setting is mostly in the feel, color, and storytelling - not in what goes on under the hood.

You must be familiar with the system. If you, the GM, are unfamiliar, then your players and the game session will suffer. If you can't look up a rule right away in a weird situation, wing it - but make sure you write down your houserule so you can consult it again later and avoid inconsistency.

If BRP is highly similar to CoC, then you may be best served by planning out each potential horror check plot point ahead of time, and writing up a table of possible outcomes for failed checks. I seem to recall that's how CoC does its insanity checks.

In statting up challenges, enemies, and monsters, you'll probably be best served by only statting up the bare minimum needed to usefully represent them in the game. E.g. if your enemies will be non-combat challenges, then you'll likely focus mostly on skills. If they're mostly combat rivals, then focus on combat skills and damage.
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

Call of Cthulhu is BRP, just call of cthulhu uses a few diffrent rules(sainty for example).

thanks for the advice on the horror plot point, though a lot of my games are far far more of a sand-box style then anything else.

good idea on the stats for the monsters.

I did find something that might help with some of the items, ie muskets and similar renissance weapons in the aptly named renissance game, a game that uses BRP. Seems like it has some neat ideas for concepts for a ravenloft game.
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

Since I am planning to run said ravenloft game in the summer; I am working on a conversion to BRP atm. I can put my conversion notes up here in this thread or would it be better to create a brand new thread?

anyways, there are some things I am generally operating under for my conversion. that there are no demihumans(no elves and dwarves and etc) and that magic is rare. So this will effect some choices I plan to do when converting things.
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

Skill list

This is a rough draft of the skills that I am planning on using and their base percentage. Those familiar with BRP/Call of Cthulhu might be able to help me with if these skills are quite good enough. As the good thing about the system is that it is modular for skills. I have thought of using a literacy skill to represent reading and writing but not sure if I should use it or not.
VIEW CONTENT:
1. Alchemy (01%)
2. Athletics (25%)
3. Archeology (01%)
4. Art [specific] (05%)
5. Artillery (01%)
6. Bargain (05%)
7. Boating (15%)
8. Brawl (20%)
9. Close combat [swords/daggers] (20%)
10. Close combat [pole arms] (15%)
11. Conceal (15%)
12. Command (05%)
13. Cultural (own) (30%)
14. Culture (other) (05%)
15. Craft [specific] (05%)
16. Dance (05%)
17. Disguise (01%)
18. Dodge (dex x2%)
19. Drive wagon/carriage (01%)
20. Duel-Weapon (05%)
21. Etiquette (05%)
22. Engineering (01%)
23. Fast talk (05%)
24. First Aid (Int x1%)
25. Gun Combat (05%)
26. Group [specific] (01%)
27. Gambling (10%)
28. Hide (10%)
29. History (10%)
30. Law(05%)
31. Library use (25%)
32. Listen (01%)
33. Locksmith (01%)
34. Lore [region]
35. Language [own] (edu x 5%)
36. Language [other] (01%)
37. Occult (05%)
38. Parry(05%)
39. Persuade (15%)
40. Perform (05%)
41. Psychology (05%)
42. Ranged combat (05%)
43. Ravenloft mythos (00%)
44. Religion(05%)
45. Ride (05%)
46. Shield (10%)
47. Spot hidden (25%)
48. Sleight of hand (10%)
49. Streetwise (01%)
50. Sneak (10%)
51. Track (10%)
52. Throw (25%)
53. Witchcraft (00%)
herkles
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by herkles »

and I just got dark ages: cthulhu and pretty much I can use everything in their including the spells to repersent magic in ravenloft.