[PF] Rogue (gambler archetype)

Discussing all roleplaying games
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

[PF] Rogue (gambler archetype)

Post by MichaelTumey »

Rogue (Gambler archetype)
Gamblers are rogues who specialize in playing games of chance for winnings, fame and opportunities of excitement. For most participants, the gambling is a diversion, a source of recreation, but others take it much more seriously, living for the toss of the dice and the yell of the dealer. Gambling can be an expensive occupation, and it is perhaps not surprising that many gamblers must look for other ways to earn coin, a necessity that leads some of them to become adventurers. The gambler rogue archetype can be found working in taverns, paddleboats or running street games. The gambler rogue specializes in games of chance, both honest and dishonest. This focus helps sharpen their focus and their ability to read people.

Recommended Skills: The following skills compliment the gambler archetype: Appraise, Bluff, Intimidate, Perception, Profession (gambling), Sense Motive, and Sleight of Hand.

Skilled Cheat: A gambler adds half her class level (minimum +1) to all Sleight Of Hand checks made with dice, cups, cards, or other gambling paraphernalia. This ability replaces trapfinding.

Skilled Gambler: A gambler adds half her class level (minimum +1) to all Profession (gambling) checks.

Gambler’s Eyes: Beginning at 3rd level, the gambler adds +1 to all Perception and Sense Motive checks. This bonus increases by an additional +2 every six levels (9th and 15th). If the check is made in relation to a game of chance, the bonus is doubled. This ability replaces trap sense.

Gambler's Edge: At 6th level, a gambler may choose to roll a second dice in any skill or ability check before the results are revealed, but must take the second roll even if it is worse. A gambler may perform this once per day, plus 1 every 4 levels.

Luck of the Draw: At 12th level, a gambler may reroll any failed skill or ability check, but must take the results of the second roll, even if it is worse. A gambler may perform this once per day, plus 1 every 4 levels.

Wager's Fate: At 18th level, a gambler may force an opponent to reroll any ability or skill check once per day, and must take the results of the second roll, even if it is better.

Rogue Talents: The following rogue talents compliment the gambler archetype: canny observer, hard to fool, and honeyed words.

Advanced Rogue Talents: The following rogue talents compliment the gambler archetype: skill mastery, slippery mind, and thoughtful reexamining.
Last edited by MichaelTumey on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: [PF] Rogue (gambler archetype)

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Nice idea! Reminds me of a lot of 2e thief characters I played in High School. :)

However, I think the Gambler's Edge and Luck of the Draw abilities are:
a) really powerful
and
b) will slow gameplay a lot. (lots of extra die rolls)

I'd recommend limiting it to a few times a day or something. Or maybe, only when your unmodified d20 roll is 5 or less? (3 or less maybe?)

(when you say "check" I assume you mean a skill or ability check, right? not attack rolls or saves, etc..)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: [PF] Rogue (gambler archetype)

Post by MichaelTumey »

Thanks, I just added limited usage per day on those two abilities - pretty much limited to 3 times per day at 20th level

And, yes, these apply to ability and skill checks, and not attack, nor saves rolls.