So did y'all have a jolly Halloween?

Books, movies, television and everything else
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

So did y'all have a jolly Halloween?

Post by Brandi »

I did (I'll elaborate later if anyone asks).
ScS of the Fraternity

Re: So did y'all have a jolly Halloween?

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Hi Brandi! Long time no read.

I had a pretty par Halloween. More trick or treaters than normal. You?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I'm glad you did, my father-in-law & I are remodeling one of my home's bathrooms this week, we never even bothered to get a jack-o-lantern we've been too busy. My wife handed out candy to the trick-or-treaters, I never saw a one. :(

I would love to hear, do tell us.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Nope. Was more concerned about dealing with the power outage. (Power came back 3AM this morning. yay!) Trick or treating was cancelled in my neighborhood for safety issues. We took the kids (a.k.a. Rapunzel and Strawberry Shortcake. Scary!) to a neighboring town to trick or treat with friends for like half an hour.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

This was the first time we've actually hosted trick-or-treaters at our house (we moved in in December '09, and last year we finished up remodeling a bathroom on the 27th and were in no way prepared to deal with Halloween).

Three houses across the street have very elaborate displays, attracting quite a lot of trick-or-treaters. We actually have very few good outdoor decorations since we've only lived in the house for a short time (you can't store decorations well in a 1 bedroom apartment!), so we made up for it by livening up the giveaways with odd things, like offering a 1lb candy bar to the (older) trick-or-treater who could consume an entire bottle of Jones Seattle Seahawks Perspiration Soda. (You only WISH I was making that flavor up. Salt's the second ingredient on the list). One game girl drank most of the bottle (down to the bottom of the label) after her boasting older brother took a swig and spat it out immediately. Being soft hearts, we gave her the bar (and told her she didn't have to share!).

There are other Jones Seahawks Sodas (it was a theme pack) so we handed out smaller (but good-sized) quantities of candy (rather than the 1-2 pieces we recommend people take) to anyone who wanted to drink a bottle of Dirt (basically mineral water, dyed brown) or Turf (wheatgrass). The boy who drank Dirt was a slightly sullen lad of about 16 or 17. I don't think he was mad at us but you could tell he didn't expect that one bit. The girl who drank Turf was part of a gaggle of silly teen girls, all of whom initially squabbled to try the bottle, and a few of whom almost tried to take the candy I was giving the girl who drank the soda (everyone gets 1-2 pieces even if they refuse the challenge. We're weird, not CRUEL).

Those girls went to take a picture of themselves at our place and I was hoping they'd face away from me and towards the street so I could hold up the skull we have behind them. That didn't happen (and one bewildered girl thought the skull was a camera!), but when I explained that the skull was a for-real skull they were impressed and asked to touch it. I let them, after asking that they be gentle because it's so very old. Seemed to make their evening. Not many people have real skulls around for Halloween or otherwise!

I'm thinking next year that rather than an ordeal (especially since Jones seems to be easing back on the truly weird/vile soda flavors) we might let people cast dice ("roll dem bones") and have a shot at winning a fancier treat (like a novelty tumbler full of candy or a book of scary stories). Why not make the giving out of goodies novel too?
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Post by A G Thing »

Stuck in the farm areas we don't have much in the way of Trick or Treaters so I just stayed up and watched scary movies and ate candy... Too much candy... So not bad for me but not the best!
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

A G Thing wrote:Stuck in the farm areas we don't have much in the way of Trick or Treaters so I just stayed up and watched scary movies and ate candy... Too much candy... So not bad for me but not the best!
Yeah, by the looks of your avatar you did eat too much candy. :D
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Halloween story here. Warning: transvestitism.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Since I had Gastroenteritis, my Samhain wasn't so enjoyable this year :(
Swallow your soul!