Gothic Earth lives again! Here's a new Ravenloft setting!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rudolf Weathermay
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Re: New Netbook Special Announcement! GEE!

Post by Rudolf Weathermay »

crap ... too late to send the first one :)
I was so busy with my own campaign I forgot to sent something in :)
Joël of the FoS

Re: Gothic Earth lives again! Here's a new Ravenloft setting

Post by Joël of the FoS »

So we have a winner for October!

Bravo to Allan Hanley!

---

Next month darklord of the month: Frankenstain's monster!

Tell us where is Frankeinstein in Gothic Earth 2012 !
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Talon
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Talon »

If y'all ever need any new art for this project, let me know. I'll be happy to consider it.

-Talon Dunning
ww.talonart.com
From the mind of Talon Dunning
http://www.talonart.com - http://www.arcane-marks.com
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Talon wrote:If y'all ever need any new art for this project, let me know. I'll be happy to consider it.

-Talon Dunning
ww.talonart.com
:shock: :mrgreen:

We'll get back to you in a few months.....
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Leliel
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Leliel »

Hey, guys?

I know the Jade Horror is supposed to select Darklords that worship it, but what does "worship" entail?

Is it a Deal With The Devil sort of thing? Because Religion of Evil doesn't sound like something that fits with the self-justification you see most darklords doing.

Otherwise, may I suggest Major Kenji Hatanaka for one of the Horror's Darklords? He basically attempted to overthrow the Emperor at the end of World War II purely so Japan wouldn't have to admit defeat...during the time they believed we had more nukes.

That kind of reckless fanaticism sounds exactly like someone who could could justify offering his services to the Cosmic Force of Darkness to himself.
I am The Archangel of Night.
I am the Guardian of Shadow
I am the Vindicator of the Unknown
I am..Leliel.
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

Leliel wrote:Hey, guys?

I know the Jade Horror is supposed to select Darklords that worship it, but what does "worship" entail?

Is it a Deal With The Devil sort of thing? Because Religion of Evil doesn't sound like something that fits with the self-justification you see most darklords doing.
I think that you can still have a Religion of Evil that coincides with self-justification. Without trying to get too political, people self-justified in the name of religion throughout history.

What I was trying to go for here, however, was a different flavor when it came to the servants of the Jade Horror. The Fraternity and I discussed this a bit and I stated that - in my humble opinion - the idea of Darklords and the Domains was a very Western idea. You have these people in almost a Dante-esque type prison with its own special irony designed to punish them. This idea is very Western. If you look at a lot of horror movies, the protagonists will often have some dark secret or have committed some deep wrong. So, there's this idea that they have somehow brought their fate upon themselves.

So, I wanted something different for the servants of the Jade Horror. I wanted them to feel different, and have different kinds of motivations. And I knew that in Asia, a more superstition-based, monster-out-of-the-closet type of threat would feel more at home. If you look at a lot of Asian horror, for example, the protagonists are often complete innocents who are simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. The spirits and monsters in Asia don't care about what you did. They just want to plain eat you. :D

One last thing...I did leave people an out in that write-up. It said that most Darklords under the Jade Horror worshipped the Jade Horror, or did at one time. So, you could totally have a JH Darklord who is completely fed up with drinking the same kool-aid century after century.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

When you put it that way, you can see the Judeo-Christian bent of Gothic Horror.

In Western Horror, bad things happen because you did something bad. There is the element of God punishing you for something for which you should feel guilty.
Evil Reigns!!!!
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Talon wrote:If y'all ever need any new art for this project, let me know. I'll be happy to consider it.

-Talon Dunning
ww.talonart.com
:shock: :mrgreen:

We'll get back to you in a few months.....
Great stuff!

@Our FoS Masters: You might want to ask the user osdem. He did the awesome art for the great Mistfinder pdf...
Leliel
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Leliel »

Rucht Lilavivat wrote:
Leliel wrote:Hey, guys?

I think that you can still have a Religion of Evil that coincides with self-justification. Without trying to get too political, people self-justified in the name of religion throughout history.

What I was trying to go for here, however, was a different flavor when it came to the servants of the Jade Horror. The Fraternity and I discussed this a bit and I stated that - in my humble opinion - the idea of Darklords and the Domains was a very Western idea. You have these people in almost a Dante-esque type prison with its own special irony designed to punish them. This idea is very Western. If you look at a lot of horror movies, the protagonists will often have some dark secret or have committed some deep wrong. So, there's this idea that they have somehow brought their fate upon themselves.

So, I wanted something different for the servants of the Jade Horror. I wanted them to feel different, and have different kinds of motivations. And I knew that in Asia, a more superstition-based, monster-out-of-the-closet type of threat would feel more at home. If you look at a lot of Asian horror, for example, the protagonists are often complete innocents who are simply in the wrong place at the wrong time. The spirits and monsters in Asia don't care about what you did. They just want to plain eat you. :D

One last thing...I did leave people an out in that write-up. It said that most Darklords under the Jade Horror worshipped the Jade Horror, or did at one time. So, you could totally have a JH Darklord who is completely fed up with drinking the same kool-aid century after century.

Ah, OK.

Still, I think another thing that should be pointed out is the cognitive dissonance many Asian cultures-especially Japan-feel towards their own history.

Ever heard of Unit 731? Shiro Ishii? Neither has most of Japan-while we decided to avoid bringing up war crimes as part of the peace treaty (by that point, WWII needed to end), that part of their own history is happily glossed over; They weren't quite as bad as the Nazis, but Japan's culture is very good at ignoring it's own faults.

It's still a Gothic Horror setting, at least in part, and Asian horror or not, one of the themes that should pop up in character-intensive horror studies is owning up to your mistakes-even in many Asian media (Nanashi no Game comes to mind). Thus, Major Hatanaka.

In fact. given that you're going with the Red Death being punishment as opposed to direct force, I can easily see him being a Red Death-and thus Western-darklord for the sheer irony of the whole thing.
I am The Archangel of Night.
I am the Guardian of Shadow
I am the Vindicator of the Unknown
I am..Leliel.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

One submission in for Frankenstein! Come on guys, get your pen and send us your ideas on this flesh golem!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Rudolf Weathermay
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Rudolf Weathermay »

I don't know if I will sent a submission for Frankenstein. At the moment I don't have any inspiration for a domain of him. maybe next month more luck guys. or maybe if i can find time to think about it.

btw is it 500 words for a domain AND 500 for the darklord? or just 500 for both of them?
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

It's 500 words for the Darklord and 500 for the domain.

You run out of words quickly, I'll tell you! :lol:
Blot
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Blot »

This sounds really exciting!

Any word on the winner for November, and who we have for December?
nothri
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by nothri »

Indeed. I'd like to know how my entry was received, not to mention knowing what the next contest will involve.
I'm just a ghost in this house.
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I just got done talking to the Fraternity. The results should be posted fairly soon.