Pathfinder Witch in Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Sathien
Conspirator
Conspirator

Pathfinder Witch in Ravenloft

Post by Sathien »

So one of my PCs wants to play as a witch, disguised as a cleric of Ezra (I pointed out more than once that it might be easier just to play as a cleric of Hala). Any ideas on what changes I should make/what hexes should call for powers checks? I've flat out declared the Evil Eye hex to be named something else due to setting precedence, it still incurs a powers check.
MichaelTumey
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Pathfinder Witch in Ravenloft

Post by MichaelTumey »

Eh, Evil Eye Hex just causes some negative modifiers on one check type for several rounds (Attack, save, or AC, etc) chosen by the Witch - that doesn't seem too much like a powers check worthy action, IMO.

On the other hand: Blight, Coven, and Misfortune are powers check worthy. Of major hexes: Agony, Hag's Eye (because of the one hag in the coven prerequisite), Nightmares, Retribution and Waxen Image, which is more than half the major hexes are powers check worthy.

Of the grand hexes, only Life Giver is not powers check worthy. Everything else is pretty dark.

Being a Witch in Ravenloft and not being subjected to constant powers checks, would mean a great limitation of choices, but could be possible - except what's the fun in that? Don't you want your own domain?

Michael
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Re: Pathfinder Witch in Ravenloft

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I try to avoid handing out power checks for using class abilities unless they're particularly evil, especially when there's no alternate powers. I don't want my players to feel like they're unable to play the game or they're being forced into the one archetype with a few powers they're uninterested in.
I like power checks to be something I can use against a character's action's and choices, not a player's.

The witch is really fun and dark, there's lots of story possibilities and they have some fun flavour. I wouldn't change much but the suggestion their powers come directly from the Dark Powers and the possibility everything they do is evil and corrupting. There's the nice possibility that they inherently taint everything they do, so even if they're helping people they're doing evil.