Wouldn't believe in them even if you saw one
4%

Total votes: 54

Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Real Horror Experiences

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

What events in your lives have you witnessed that have frightened you? It could be something mundane or something out of this world, supernatural, natural or just damn unexplainable, just share them with us, we all like these sorts of things to let us know we aren't alone, to get something off our chests or to give inspiration to someone for a story or game.

I've got a story that some here will have heard me refer to in the past but wouldn't have read in full, but I'll share it now.

I have lived with my parents in the house we now have since Aprill 11th 1987, we bought the house and I grew up here (I was 11 when we moved here, I just can't afford to move out and need some level of care due to disability, but that is not important). In the mid-1990's my parents bought and antique oak wardrobe, it was nothing really special to look at but it was pleasing to the eye, but somehting about it would give you a nagging feeling at the back of your mind if you were clairvoyant. If you were a woman it would just make you feel uncormortable.

After owning it for a few months and my parents having it in their bedroom, my dad changed his job at the company and it meant he had to travel abroad alot to represent the cpompany in meetings. The first might my mum was alone in the room, she felt something large and heavy crawl on the matress toward her, she was reading and shouted iat it to go away, swinging out with her arm, whatever it was just left without a trace. The matress is a heay authopedic one, they are solid as rocks, I was 15 stone (210 pounds) at the time and I stood on the matress and didn't make a dent, but whatever it was really made the matress dent and sag where it was. The following night, my mum was just falling asleep when the matress lifted up below her on her side of the bed and threw her off the other end of the bed. She refused to go back int othe room after leaving it and when I came home she was asleep on the bed setee downstairs, she told me what happened the following day. After that she never slept in the room alone and wouldn't enter the room alone at night.

After these incidents, we placed a pentacle on the walla above the bed for protection, my mum also kept a bowl of water at the foot of the bed at night for more protection, but she would never be alone in the room at night. I had no personal experience with the wardrobe until the next summer when I was left to look after our cat for a couple of week while the others went on vacation. I was going to the bathroom when the door of the wardrobe swung open on its own (it closed with a catch, it could not swing open on its own by accident) as i walked past and i went and closed it, closing the catch at the same time. Leaving the room I heard it creak open again. While in the bathroom I could hear movement about the landing outside the door, when I left the bathroom the wardrobe door was closing on its own and then the catch sealed itself. Needless to say I was a little spooked. But that night I spent much of the night reading in the marents room to test out the wardrobe and nothing happened.

Sometime later the wardrobe was moved into the spare room and my mum felt safe enough to sleep in her bedroom alone again and things were fine and dandy for a month or two. By then I had insomnia in a big way so I was up nearly all night, every night. It was then that I would hear the wardrobe open and cvlose on it's own, the here the door to the spare room open and walking up and down the landing. I would eventually her the spare room door close again and the wardrobe door open and close and that was that. This would happen at random intervals each night for nearly a year. While the piece of furniture was in the spar room, you would feel watched when you were on the stairs or landing and really creeped out if you were i nthe spare room alone, the hairs on the back of your neck would stand on end, no joking!

It was after about a year of the nightly goings on that I decided to investigate the thing in the wardrobe. I waited for it to open the spare room door one night and opened my bedroom door just after. The spare room was between mine and my parents bedroom, my younger sisters room was on the other side of mine. I opened the door and something black passed the doorway, to quickly to see, but I ducked my head out onto the landing and saw something in the gloom. A shadow, human shaped, fitting from floor to ceiling was standing outside my sisters room, you could see through it, but it was a distinct shadow. I got my courage together and told it to get away from there, it turned, showing that it was bent at the shoulders where it roughly met the ceiling and stretched out a few feet horizontally just below the ceiling (like when you bend a candy bar and stretch out one end) and it just rushed toward me and right through me, into the spare room and into the wardrobe. I was so cold I was shivering for most of the night. I told my family nothing of that experience and haven't still.

After owning yhr wardrobe for nearly 3 years we sold the wardrobe (it still kept wandering the landing at night and occasionally went up and down the stairs when the wardrobe was moved to the landing waiting to be sold), we didn't tell the guy what happened with us, but he never came back with any complaints, so it couldn't have effected him. Whatever it was i nthe wardrobe left with the furniture so it was definately linked to it, but we never worked out anything for certain and never learned the history on the item.

If anyone knows any sources on haunted furniture, let me know, especially websites ;)
Swallow your soul!
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

I've seen too much weird crap to totally disregard the idea of the "unreal."
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

You and me both Cole, I have seen or encountered many ghosts and spirits to disregard them, but if you have a story to tell do you fancy sharing one with us? :)
Swallow your soul!
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Well, for starters, the bar (it's really more like a pub, but humor me, it's in indiana) I go to has what we affectionately call the "dead man's room." The place used to be a brothel, and once, back in 1894 or so, three men abused one of the staff in the upstairs front room. The staff didn;t take kindly to this, and all three were laid hold of and hanged from the front three windows of the building. Since then, that room has always been a bit colder than the rest of the place. Even in the summertime, at temperatures greater than 90 degrees Fahrenheit, with the windows propped open, the room is chilly.

Funny thing is, I'd always thoguht the room was cold- And then I heard the story about a year and a half after I started going to this bar.
Malken/Ezekiel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malken/Ezekiel »

That's creepy Wiccy, really creepy. A story well told. The bar is a nice one too.

I have no personal tales that can be related directly to the supernatural, but I do believe that there exist some things that reason alone cannot explain. I'm not sure how this would manifest itself, or if our theories are correct at all, but there must surely be something.

The only thing that springs to mind is something that happened just a few weeks ago. I'm quite sure the supernatural was not involved, but it was creepy nonetheless:

I was out walking one night, to get some exercise and releave some stress, when I left the main road, and went along a little path that winds around a small lake near my home. The weather is just below zero degrees celsius, and the frost creaks under my feet. The path I'm walking is well lit by streetlights, meant for the skirunners in wintertime. However, just as I pass one, it goes black, leaving me in darkness. I continue on, dismissing it, but saying to myself: imagine how freaky it would be if the next one went out too.

Then it does, just as I'm passing into the light of it. I start to get nervous, but continue on. Then, as I pass a third light, that too starts to get faulty. I hastily continue, but nothing else happens. It did put me slightly off, but I'm used to walking alone in the dark...
:twisted:/:mrgreen:[size=75]
- Malken/Ezekiel, your friendly neighbourhood personality-splinter.[/size]
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

While there has been some strange things in the world. Such as the Tunguska blast in 1908 whose answer could possibly be rationalised as a 'natural atom bomb' (which is even more disturbing than supernatural occurences as it could happen anytime).

I dont believe in the supernatural. I've never had an experience that could be put down to it, and a lot of what is claimed is fake and eventually found out as fraud. I'm not going to say everything people say is not true, because it could be. But I prefer to believe that there is some rational explanation though science and testing.

The National Sceptics society still has that $250,000 up for grabs after more than a decade and no one has been able to claim it.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Big Bad Jack
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Big Bad Jack »

Those who want to believe will believe without evidence, and those who don't wish to believe will find ways to deny that any evidence shown them does not fit neatly into their little world view.

Do I believe in the supernatural?

Well, I've seen too much in my life not to believe.

I had no firsthand experience with the Lost until roughly on and a half years ago, when I first moved here into the dorm; not to say I hadn't had a keen interest in it beforehand (being raised, as I was, in superstitous, haunted Appalachia).

Within a week, I had figured out something was amiss with the place, and slowly folklore filtered down to me from this and that source. One staircase was the site of a hanging; the poor girl's been seen by two people, and I have "sensed" her presence; phantoms run up and down the hallways, slamming the end doors at times...

..most recently, the Dorm Director -- an admitted skeptic -- was down, with my aid, considering a haunted house on the "Spook Hallway" -- the dorm's bottom floor's unused left side.

This is when a door closed right in front of us on the side of the hall; I heard it, and she saw it.

"(Jacks), go check that out." she says, handing me the keys after I find it is locked.

I open the door, get nearly knocked on my arse by the sudden rush of the Sense, and hastily close the door, after seeing it was completely empty in the room beyond.

The poor Director is horribly shaken by this, honestly.. the result of a skeptic seeing the truth, I suppose.. as for myself, I made sure to leave a small offering, especially after things went a bit wonky down in Spook Hall for a while (personal peeve: I am a Shaman, not an exoorcist/necromancer. I deal more with nature spirits, not the Lost.. but whenever one of the numerous ones here gets playful, who gets called? Oy.); eventually -- after the offering was left, things calmed.

The Lost really aren't bad, so long as they're respected.

The Orphanage, however... there was more than Lost in that place, and just thinking about it, months after my visit in the middle of the previous semester, still sends residual chills and sensations to my Sense.... and that was after what I told was a slow night of activity there..
[i]Formerly [b]The Watcher in the Woods[/b][/i]

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built."
-- Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

I am one who deals in the natural order since I am a witch, it is all tied to nature and living within it. Afterall, it is descended from shamanism.

I do have another story to tell, but this is not a first hand experience, this is from my long time best friend Lee who witnessed this on his way to my house 14 years ago.

Lee used to live on the far end of town and would walk the coupleof miles to mine and I'd do the same, we'd alternate who'd go to whos house to make it fair. One night he was walking down and ran int oa friend, where he would normally turn right, he turned left and followed down past the other side of the police station. He parted with this other friend at his house, not far down past the station and near a styles to cross a field that would take him back to the shortcut to my house. As he went onto the field, he saw someone at the top of the hill in the fields waving, so he waved back and went on. He walked a bit and looked up, the person was walking toward him and waving so again Le waved. This went on a few times until the person was close enough for him to make out properly in the dark. Lee had thought it was another friend of ours James, he was always wearing white like tis peron was, but Lee then saw it wan't James. The person wasn't just in white, he was entirely white and running down toward Lee and waving. Lee was pretty scared by this and turned back, running to the styles, hopped over and ran to the corner past a short row of houses. He turned back and the person was on the other end of the styles waving. Lee turned and ran all the way to my house. When he arrived he was pale and shaking and he told us what happened.

We don't know whether it was a ghost or something else, it could have been a living person, but it does hint toward the classical ghost, even though it seemed to interact with Lee. I can say that he won't go on that field alone at night anymore and he is 14 years older now. I've never felt anything on the fields there and I tend to pick up vibes as a clairvoyant and empath, those of us like this tend to pick up on the energies, but I sense nothing on there. But you are never spot on with these things ;)
Swallow your soul!
Maximillian
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Maximillian »

Well I do certainly believe in the supernatural, since I am a Christian believer (every religion is by definition supernatural). Apart from that there have been times when I experienced or at least I thought I experienced strange things indeed. Generally though I try to be a sceptic who wants some proof before he jumps to conclusions. It would be advisable to keep an open mind for such things. :wink:

A very good website about the supernatural is www.shadowlands.net

A lot of information about ghosts and hauntings, plus thousands of real, as the contributors claim, experiences. You can share your story too if you like. Mine is the one below, although I deem it as unimportant compared to other stuff I have seen.

When I was a child, and for several years I saw some apparitions that I then dismissed as my overactive imagination. My family and I were living in a brand-new appartment that we were renting from a relative. We were the first to live in the place and it was regularly blessed by a priest at least once a year.
My younger brother and I were sharing the same room, while our parents slept in their room with our baby sister. Once I woke up in the middle of the night to see two figures standing at the door of the room next to the foot of my brothers bed with their arms crossed to their chest. They were clear enough illuminated partially by the green night-light that we left open so that we would not be scared at night. One of the figures was larger than the other and I thought that they were our parents, just checking if we were OK. "Mom, dad?" I asked.There was no answer and I was terrified! I covered myself with my blankets and tried to dismiis the whole situation as being a dream or something. I looked again and they were still there! I was terrified in earnest.I shut my eyes, pulled up my covers and prayed they went away. I was so scared that I could not even hear my own breath, so slowly and quietly was I breathing. After a while I checked again and they were gone. The next morning I asked my parents If they came to check on us during the night. They said they did not...I decided then that my imagination was overly active and I dissmissed the whole thing as a mirage or something caused by the green night light. The problem is that I saw the figures several more times at night in the same
position. Sometimes there would only be the one I recognized as female, sometimes there would be both of them. I had gotten used to it and wasn't afraid anymore, believing that I was only creating imaginatory apparitions. Now I am no that sure. You see I was fully awake and I saw the figures a lot of times, alone or together. As we got older we even removed the green light, but I saw the figures even then. They never moved or made any sounds and once I got used to it they were not unsettling or fearsome in any way. I still do not know what has really happened but I like to think they were just guarding our sleep.
Now many years later I regret having convinced myself that it was just my imagination. I am afraid that by doing so I unknowingly blinded myself to the supernatural,whereas as a child I was much more perceptive.
OI!!! Don't call me tall, you f@$%&£* midgets!!!
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Well, my Mom's family lived in a haunted house in the same town i go to school in... Nothing too awful, just a presence they say they felt, and one that pinched my twin aunts.

They aren't exactly the most trustworthy witnesses, but in the light of the other stuff I've seen, I believe them....

One of my great-great-great uncles was chased by something white that clawed great furrows in the door of his cabin... Although we've convinced ourselves that it was an albino panther or somesuch.

My great-aunt Jane was the last person Amelia Earhart talked to on the ground before her final flight.

I frequently have precognitive dreams... Not that they do me any damned good, because I can't know if a dream is precognitive until it happens.
Tadelin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tadelin »

Precognitive dreams are always strange.

I've had one where I was drawing cards from a deck, and I drew all four aces in the first four cards. I thought that was kinda odd in the dream. Two days later, when awake, I actually drew the cards in the same order. I was the one that shuffled the deck - I was far too young to do that properly - but I knew from the dream what the next 6 cards to be over turned were. To this day I can't explain that one.

I've come to accept dreams as one of three things: visions of the future, visions of the past (and past lives), and visions of yourself currently but at the same time elsewhere. The last one is the hardest to explain, and I won't take up the board space here to do so.
One of these days, I'm going to get it right. Until then, I guess I can just keep being a fool.
Maximillian
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Maximillian »

Thankfully I only rarely regard dreams as such. Having been occupied with the fantasy and horror genre for many years now, my dreams are sometimes really strange indeed. One of the best, which actually made me wake up and write it down at 4:00 in the morning, involved me becoming a vampire and waking up at Castle Ravenloft were I met Count Strahd. Talk about an overactive imagination. I still have my notes hastily sribbled in Greek. It would make a... fun story If I translated them into English. Let me know.

P.S. We could make a thread describing our Horror Dreams no? (They are NOT Nightmares! :wink: )
OI!!! Don't call me tall, you f@$%&£* midgets!!!
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

Cole Deschain wrote:
My great-aunt Jane was the last person Amelia Earhart talked to on the ground before her final flight.
Really? Interesting. What did she have to say, I'm wondering?

Recently, alot of evidence has been uncovered as to what did happen to Amelia Earhart in the end. I daresay that the
(possible) truth was more horrifying for me than the unknown.

Something curious about the poll. I find that most gamers strongly believe in the supernatural, or are hard-core non-believers. There's very little "in-between" folks. Just an observation I've made in my long years in gaming.
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Ivana_Boritsi wrote:Recently, alot of evidence has been uncovered as to what did happen to Amelia Earhart in the end. I daresay that the
(possible) truth was more horrifying for me than the unknown.
Considering all the new Japanese bases being constructed when she made that flight, and where she was flying, it probably WAS pretty bad- And pretty horribly mundane. But it WAS one of my family's run-ins with the unknown. ;)
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

www.shadowlands.net is a good site and one I have visited on and off for a few years, but they declined my story of the haunted wardrobe since they didn't believe it was true :(

As for precognative dreams, they are something I have had all my life, it resulted n alot of deja vous for me until I worked out what was causing it ;). For example, late last year I dreamed that myself, and 2 friends Jonesy and Donna were on a street opposite a pub called the OZ Bar when a police officer on horseback rode past, that was all I rememebred. In late May this year, we went to Cardiff to see Sikth, Hoipes Fall and Hondo McLean (terrible band that last one), only instead if Donna, Rhiannon went wth us. The dream was idenitcal to something that happened except Rhiannon replaced Donna in reality.

I get precog dreams about alot of things and get them nearly every night, sometimes more than once a night. Once I came to terms with them, I managed to remember some of them better and since begun to train my natural clairvoyant and empathic abilities.
Swallow your soul!