[Board Game] Arkham Horror

Discussing all roleplaying games
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: [Board Game] Arkham Horror

Post by alhoon »

Well, Yig is crappy. The Dunwitch horror is worse than Yig. I'm talking about Elder ones that respect themselves, not big monsters.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

If you keep talking like that, you'll make Yig cry and run home to complain to Cthulhu.

And you can rest assured before Cthulhu catches up with us, I'm going to finger you with the blame. :)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Cthulu is one example of "Bye Bye" if he wakes. He has many tokens and he downs people fast. For Yig, a good strategy is to let him wake and fight him once he wakes. For Cthulu a better strategy is to seal the gates.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Yeah, I think they did a good mix of different strategies into the game. If you have a large number of players, you're probably better off collecting clue tokens or Elder Signs and sealing gates. If you have a small number of players, you can concentrate your resources in the hands of a few, fierce combatants and destroy monsters to trade in for Blessings and other goodies. Up against a beatable Ancient One, you can then trigger its awakening and then defeat it in open combat.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Started a game with myself (yes, I know; sad) in Vassal platform. :) I got 3 investigators (The magician, the researcher and the phychiatrist) and Using King in Yellow, Goat in the Woods and Dark Pharaoh. I don't use the herald variant, nor the Guardian one.
Things look good. The Psych got the King in Yellow (-1 sanity +4 clue tokens) and the researcher starts with 4 clue tokens.

Ancient one: Glaaki. The one that attacks rise terror level and when he gets to 10, he devours everyone. -5 to combat checks and physical resistance, but still... 7-8 rounds without killing ANY investigator? Seems I'll have my investigators track relics of the Dark Pharaoh after all. I'm pretty sure I can beat him
My DMGuild work!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I started a game with my gaming group, which includes three women.

Phase 1 includes the skill focus stage, where you move little donut-shaped markers along a spectrum of skills. This can require some fine tuning. In our parlance, this became "Diddling your donuts". It alliterates nicely as "dudes, done diddling your donuts?"

For some reason all the female gamers started giggling uncontrollably every time I said this but they won't tell me why :(
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

Post by Scipio »

This game is one that I break out with my current gaming group whenever we want to take a break from pen and paper. Of course half of what makes it fun is our warped sense of humor. The frst time we were attacked by a Dhole, it turned into jokes about Bob Dhole. That led to references of "Reagan smash" which lead to us referring to the woods as James Woods.... Perhaps we need to lay of the Family Guy a bit?

Anyways, I find the game to not be overly complex, it's easy for new players to pick up. The last game we ran the Ancient was Nyarlathotep. Naturally we all died...
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I recently got access to the Dunwich Horror expansion, and we tried to run a game against Tsothaggua - the Ancient One who seals off all the special powers of all Arkham locations so you can't get blessed or get allies at will, etc.

We died. :(

I did run a two-player game against Cthulhu, with the specific intention of beefing up our party so we could take him on directly, including buying combat skills at the Miskatonic U. Shortly before the gates hit the deadly number, we both got blessings and broke out the double-pistols and took him on. Because he only had 26 hit points, we were ultimately able to defeat him in the 8 combat rounds we were given.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Most Great Ones, are defeated easily by 2 combat chars. On the other hand, if you have 5 characters, it's next to impossible to defeat them.
My DMGuild work!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

alhoon wrote:Most Great Ones, are defeated easily by 2 combat chars. On the other hand, if you have 5 characters, it's next to impossible to defeat them.
For the base game, definitely. There simply aren't enough good combat-boosting items to go round.

But once you have an expansion or two, there are more decent weapons in the decks, and so the survival chances of a big group go up too. It's even nicer if you can get some of the one-shot big boom weapons, like dynamite.