Voracious feat

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Zadan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Voracious feat

Post by Zadan »

Hey, all.

I'm building my a character for my first Ravenloft game (set to start in about 18 hours). I saw a feat mentioned on the Mausoleum called Voracious that I'd really like to take, but I can't find more information on it anywhere. The list says it should be in VRGttWD, which I believe is Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead. However, I [EDIT by GonzoRon: looked in] that book and I can't find any mention of Voracious.

Thanks!
Last edited by Gonzoron of the FoS on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: how you got the book is your business, but we recommend purchasing it legally, and don't wish to promote anything else here.
Hazgarn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Voracious feat

Post by Hazgarn »

I don't have it in front of me to check, but I wanna say it would be somewhere in the chapter on the Hungry Dead, since the feat involves cannibalism (if I remember).
Deranged Comics Fan
Strife-monger
Daughter of a Troll
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

It's on page 55 of VRGttWD, but be sure to run it by your DM and have a backup feat ready. It's possible your DM wants to run a Ravenloft campaign with evil or "dark antihero" PC's fighting their inner demons or giving in to them, but in the vast majority of Ravenloft campaigns, that would be an NPC-only feat, reserved for the "bad guys".

ETA: also, moving to the right forum. This is Ravenloft related, so it goes in General.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I thought it was NPC only.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:I thought it was NPC only.
Not specifically, no. As far as I can tell, you might slip alignment to evil, you might get hit with a bunch of Powers Checks, and you'll develop a craving for humanoid flesh, but there's nothing barring a PC from taking it other than DM approval.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

And if the PC dies? Who would deal with the ghoul lord that will rise? :(

"We'ven't recuperated yet from the last battle, the evil duke has sent the guard against us, the ghost is still around. Wait... is that Bobby that's knocking the door? Wasn't he killed by an arrow in the eye?" :lol:
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:And if the PC dies? Who would deal with the ghoul lord that will rise? :(
I think standard operating procedure when a PC dies and turns undead is for them to become an NPC. Though stranger things have happened (See: Requiem, The).
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Crappy adventure that. Good idea, bad implementation.
My DMGuild work!
Zadan
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Zadan »

Thanks for the help. I did manage to find the feat description (right after making the post, of course. duh.)

I did take the feat, with my DM's approval. He likes when a player takes a little initiative to find something interesting or pump up their PC. I have to make a fortitude save after eating and a will save every time there are humanoid corpses around to resist eating them (equal to the number of times I've indulged in the past).

I have no idea how he'll handle the situation if my PC dies, but hopefully we won't have to worry about that...
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

You won't.
The other PCs would. :lol:
My DMGuild work!
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jack of Tears »

If you're looking for something to add character to your ... well, character, I would rather recommend "Champions of the Mist". (from 2E Ravenloft, not sure what the 3E equivalent is, but most of that material should be fairly easy to translate between editions) That product offers a number of kits which do add flavor to PCs without giving them Monstrous Feats. In my opinion Voracious really isn't appropriate for a PC unless he is in the act of falling to darkness; otherwise its drawbacks, (ie. the need to successfully roll against willpower not to chow down on dead bodies at inopportune times) seem inappropriate for a, non-evil, PC. (and then I'd only allow it if the entire party was evil)

Seriously, in the real world even the mentally ill who do engage in - culture inappropriate - cannibalism are not likely to feel the need to restrain themselves around every dead body. Rather, such people are going to hide their behaviors because they know they are socially frowned upon, and go to great lengths to provide for their needs in discrete ways. (buying bodies from the undertaker, under the guise of "medical research", for instance; or finding a job working with the dead; possibly joining a secret cabal which engages in such things) The only type of person one is likely to encounter who is incapable of making those distinctions - between when it is right and wrong - and seriously have to fight off the desire to leap on every dead body, is a psychopath ... and such a person would make a poor Ravenloft PC. (Even Hannibal Lecter is discrete enough not to head down to the morgue for brunch when the desire takes him) The reason villains suffer these negatives is because the act dehumanizes them and becomes a compulsion.