alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Game of Thrones - the TV series

Post by alhoon »

:shock:
About Episode 6
VIEW CONTENT:
Cersei-Loras: Cersei was to be married with a cripple?!
About Melissandre:
Nah, I'll take your advice and wait. I was suprised I didn't accidentaly hit any spoilers when checking for the character in episode 8.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

alhoon wrote::shock:
About Episode 6
VIEW CONTENT:
Cersei-Loras: Cersei was to be married with a cripple?!
VIEW CONTENT:
Yup, and her reaction was similar to that of the show. You can safely read chapter 20 if you like.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Episode 9

Rob & Catelyn
VIEW CONTENT:
I was looking for the entry scene with the "show them" thing, but found random drivel in Catelyn's chapters about the way, forests and castles.
Powerful scene though. Especially when I was considering what's about to happen.
Anyway, in talk about graves and all, Robb mentions that he has to have a heir and he knows about Sansa's wedding. Catelyn mentioned that Jon shouldn't be made heir. Powerful stuff there with Robb and his sisters and what he thinks of Arya. Poor woman Catelyn.

Funny how Edmunde was sure he would get a horrible barren wench for a wife, even if he's the lord of Riverun.
Liked when Frey was giving a "Your loss bro!" to Robb at Edmund's wedding when the girl is beautiful.

Also, wasn't Robb's wife given a contraceptive or something? And didn't she survive?
Sam
VIEW CONTENT:
Meh... delays. I wanted to see them on the frozen horse and cold hands.
Arya & the hound
VIEW CONTENT:
Funny scene. Knowing a "real" killer isn't something to brag about Arya. "Is that him?" "No" "Good" I loled.
Missed the lesson in disguise & bluff to Arya. "Say ser a lot and look down and knights will ignore you" That was in Wheel of Time too.
The dialogue with the "i'll put a sword through your eye" was an awesome one. Arya is turning quite hatefull (and as heck she doesn't seem 11 years old). I kinda believe the Hound in the series is quite close to her in a way. She carries scars of the soul while he carries them in his face.
Jon & Bran
VIEW CONTENT:
Reasonable Wildling strategy. Kill the NW while outside the castles to thin their ranks. Yet in the book the whole thing is a simple paragraph lost between Jon's (boring) thoughts.

OMG, did Bran Warged Hodor?! And I found that in the book... was quite early in the book. He was very afraid that he possessed Hodor.
Anyway, the fight with the werewolves and the wildlings and all was better IMO than in the book. Clearer.
Heartfell talk with Rickon... Liked the scene a lot. Did that happen in the book? I tried to check a little bit ahead in Bran's next chapter, but it was spoily.
Discussion that also includes spoilers from the episode
VIEW CONTENT:
So, my guess is that Starks are in a bad place right now. Rikon and Bran have been proclaimed dead. Even if Bran and Rickon survive, who would believe they are actually who they claim to be against the Lannister wishes? There may be some that recognise Bran enough to take their oaths seriously, but for Rickon? Few would recognise him so few would back his claim if it came to that.
Arya is also MIA for way too long for enough people to consider her the real Arya if it comes to that.
And then... I kept reading. After the Catelyn chapter that was the last scene of the episode it's a Tyrion chapter that seems to fit. I didn't want my weekly GoT experience end like the finalle of the episode.
And yes, that was an AWESOME Tyrion chapter.
VIEW CONTENT:
The way Tywin handles his spoiled grandchild is nice, but I loved how Tyrion reminded Tywin what Joff said about him hiding in Castlery rock
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

I'm exited because of next episode and what's going to happen... I've been waiting probably with a twisted anticipation to see that event come to be.....

Ha no spoiler tag for that! :P
There's always something to lose.

Fraternity of Shadows Discord
https://discord.gg/AM6Kp95ekf
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:Rob & Catelyn
VIEW CONTENT:
I was looking for the entry scene with the "show them" thing, but found random drivel in Catelyn's chapters about the way, forests and castles.
VIEW CONTENT:
It's not there. In the book, the plan was to retake Winterfell, not to attack Casterly Rock
VIEW CONTENT:
Liked when Frey was giving a "Your loss bro!" to Robb at Edmund's wedding when the girl is beautiful.
VIEW CONTENT:
yeah, that was a great touch
VIEW CONTENT:
Also, wasn't Robb's wife given a contraceptive or something? And didn't she survive?
VIEW CONTENT:
probably and yes. (Though there's some fan-based speculation that something sneaky may be up there. But it's based on what is probably just a continuity error). But with her dying at the wedding, the stories converge. Either way, Robb will have no direct heir, and Bran becomes heir to Winterfell, though almost everyone thinks he and Rickon are dead, so it falls to Sansa.
Jon & Bran
VIEW CONTENT:
Heartfell talk with Rickon... Liked the scene a lot. Did that happen in the book? I tried to check a little bit ahead in Bran's next chapter, but it was spoily.
VIEW CONTENT:
No, in the book, the Reeds were at Winterfell before the sack. When Bran et al left, Rickon and Osha split off from the party right away for parts unknown. So Rickon and Osha weren't at the tower with them. Good scene, though.
Discussion that also includes spoilers from the episode
VIEW CONTENT:
So, my guess is that Starks are in a bad place right now.
VIEW CONTENT:
You are a master of understatement, my friend. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Arya
VIEW CONTENT:
Liked the wolf head on the body. Didn't expect to see it actually. Everyone's heard of it but Arya actually.

The iron coin thing... was it a backtrack from the Dreadfort guard she killed in Harrenhal, or she has trademark the "ooops, I dropped my coin!"-slits throat.

In the book, the Hound seems far less interested in her wellbeing and far to angry that he's been cheated of a fat ransom. Book Arya seems to believe she hates him. Not sure about that; could be all the stress. She has to take her anger out somewhere.

Tyrion
VIEW CONTENT:
Demon monkey? LoooL
As could be expected, I liked the longer version in the book of the Tywin vs Joffrey scene. Where is the part about the lesson in "a Game of Thrones" Tywin gives to Tyrion? And an explanation of how he suffered Tyrion to live?
Tywin would feel disgusted at having to educate an adult noble why Family goes above. If there's one thing I can't blame him is for teaching his children to love the family. I think we can safely say that Lannister children are too fond of the family. :P
In the book, Sansa didn't cry openly.

On the Cersei-Tyrion thing... Cersei putting her dirty laundry again out, appearing human, saying she's unhappy to Tyrion? Admitting Joffrey is not the best ever to walk the world?
Not saying that it was Jaime that kept her alive?
I guess that's not in the book and if it was, I believe it would be way different. Cersei is not a human with blood in her veins.
Bran
VIEW CONTENT:
Well, Sam DOES get cocky. He could tell them Jon's brother that Jon has killed at least 2 white walkers.
I also wonder how the non-flying fire-vulnerable white walkers would fare against even Daenerys's dragons. They could take down 50 with easy, fly away and then kill 50 more after they rest for 5 mins.
Davos
VIEW CONTENT:
Very nice scene with Gendry. I start to understand why people like him. What a burden to bear, to have your sons die following you to battle.
I also kinda liked the shortened scene, with just Melissandre and Davos over Stannis' shoulders like the good voice and the bad voice, and that they cut out the whole discussion to the "What's a single life in this war?" "Everything"

I also liked the "OK n00b, listen up, we don't have much time. Do this" scene. Was that in the book? I don't want to read further in the Davos chapters. The chapter with the nightwatch letter was the last I checked.
Varys
VIEW CONTENT:
What was that? "You're a good influence to him. So, please leave." Sounds... fishy. Varys should be all for her staying if it helps Tyrion to help the realm.
I don't think she endangers Tyrion, I think Tyrion endangers her. But saying that she puts Tyrion to danger could motivate her to leave.
Varys is practically falling over himsef from trying to get her out.

From the book
VIEW CONTENT:
Stannis says something about 9 mages trying to hatch the dragons. Also, The death of Joffrey is all but forseen.
Balon Greyjoy dies in an accident from what I learned from his chapter.
Stannis also said "She talks of prophecies... a hero reborn in the sea, living dragons hatched from dead stone. she speaks of signs and swears they point to me." Could well mean Daenerys.
She's born of kings and has all the rest requirements.
Davos is a weirdly honorable and certainly good person. I don't know which side of the fence I would be in Stannis' place. An innocent dead to save a kingdom. Well, yes, it's bad, but it saves you a LOT of effort.
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

alhoon wrote:Bran
VIEW CONTENT:
Well, Sam DOES get cocky. He could tell them Jon's brother that Jon has killed at least 2 white walkers.
VIEW CONTENT:
It's an easy distinction to miss, but Jon killed a wight (I think only 1, was it two?), not a white walker. The wights are undead humans, animated by the white walkers. The white walkers, well, it's not 100% clear what they are, but I'd call them dark fey of some kind.
Davos
VIEW CONTENT:
I also liked the "OK n00b, listen up, we don't have much time. Do this" scene. Was that in the book? I don't want to read further in the Davos chapters. The chapter with the nightwatch letter was the last I checked.
VIEW CONTENT:
Nope. These events are in chapter 64, and not spoilery. But as I mentioned, it's not Gendry, it's Edric Storm, and he gets sent off with Sallador Saan, not alone. So the (awesome) instructions he gives were invented for the show.
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

So I begin my travel through the books now. Consider this thread forwarned! Only on page 17 from lunch just got to the direwolf. Going to be different seeing things from character's point of views but we'll see how it goes! Theon Greyjoy somehow seems a lot more cocky already in my head and that's just from the brief mentions of him. XD

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Seems that it's a little bit different feeling in the book's beginning to me. Ned and Catelyn don't seem as close as I pictured them in the show. Tyrion and Jon meeting seemed more light hearted as well rather than how it was in the show. Again IMHO.

Currently just got to Arya's chapter. I must say all the children seem young young young! Impossibly young to be doing what they are doing in the future.... though maybe that's why joffery's so childish. xD

alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I would say the Catelyn-Eddard relationship in the book is quite like in the show, IMO.
And on the contrary, I would say that the children in the show seem too old to be acting as they did. We have a Joffrey that is in his 15-16 and doesn't seem to have any sexual needs. Sansa having those too childish ideas about chivarly and heroes which actually are too childish even for the 12 years old book Sansa.

What is the biggest deviation character-wise from the books, is Cersei IMO. Book-Cersei is a monster. You may think the series-Cersei is a monster, but the book Cersei is the real thing. You'll never see her ashamed of her children whatever they do, or for her special relation with her family. She's a cold woman without any kindness or pity in her heart. And an alcoholic.
My DMGuild work!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

alhoon wrote:I would say the Catelyn-Eddard relationship in the book is quite like in the show, IMO.
And on the contrary, I would say that the children in the show seem too old to be acting as they did. We have a Joffrey that is in his 15-16 and doesn't seem to have any sexual needs. Sansa having those too childish ideas about chivarly and heroes which actually are too childish even for the 12 years old book Sansa.

What is the biggest deviation character-wise from the books, is Cersei IMO. Book-Cersei is a monster. You may think the series-Cersei is a monster, but the book Cersei is the real thing. You'll never see her ashamed of her children whatever they do, or for her special relation with her family. She's a cold woman without any kindness or pity in her heart. And an alcoholic.

I guess I'll see as I read on.

Observation of Ed-Cate was that in the show they were husband and wife and loved eachother. I didn't get the feeling that they had to "learn to love" each other as catelyn put it in the book. Ed also seems a bit bitter towards her for 'making' him leave winterfell. xD

I can tell you i'm a bad judge of age. I quite frequently guess people are younger than they are. Joffery does seem to have sexual urges to me in the show.... but I only notice it when Majory is around. (Sp?) Though it seems like he thinks she's too beautiful to really bed. Like he doesn't have the guts in the show. We'll see what it is really like when I get there in the books. xD

As for Sansa being too childish for a 12 year old? <.< I don't know I know plenty of childish 12 year olds that believe weird things.

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Rewatched Season three on my Xbone and must say I still like the hound. :)

Curiously I have not read up to where they are in the series I stopped at 1 thus far but i'm probably about to pick up the second book that's sitting in my book shelf over flowing with too many books to read. XD

VIEW CONTENT:
I notice that Gendry is sent back to king's landing by the onion knight, does he show up there again in the books is why? I think I read somewhere in this topic that his story had been changed a bit.

Girlfriend was also pointing out one of Dorgo's men get killed when they actually didn't. The one that REALLY dislikes Danny, in book one I guess is supposed to come back and do something in later books against Danny. So did he really have any important impact later for those that have read the books?

Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Zilfer wrote:
VIEW CONTENT:
I notice that Gendry is sent back to king's landing by the onion knight, does he show up there again in the books is why? I think I read somewhere in this topic that his story had been changed a bit.

Girlfriend was also pointing out one of Dorgo's men get killed when they actually didn't. The one that REALLY dislikes Danny, in book one I guess is supposed to come back and do something in later books against Danny. So did he really have any important impact later for those that have read the books?
VIEW CONTENT:
Gendry hasn't been back to King's Landing yet in the books. The whole bit with him getting taken by Melisandre is new for the show. No idea what they'll do with him next in the show.

Honestly, the whole of Dany's story is a bit of a blur to me. :) Yes, there are some of the Dothraki that die at different times, but it doesn't seem to change the major beats enough for me to care.
Can't wait for Season 4, though!!!
Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:
Zilfer wrote:
VIEW CONTENT:

VIEW CONTENT:
Gendry hasn't been back to King's Landing yet in the books. The whole bit with him getting taken by Melisandre is new for the show. No idea what they'll do with him next in the show.

Honestly, the whole of Dany's story is a bit of a blur to me. :) Yes, there are some of the Dothraki that die at different times, but it doesn't seem to change the major beats enough for me to care.
Can't wait for Season 4, though!!!
VIEW CONTENT:
I see yeah she was telling me that supposedly the guy in the beginning that dies pretty early when she starts getting drogo to change a bit, that he's supposed to come back in Book fire leading some Dothraki to oppose her.....

Zilfer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Zilfer »

Anyone see the season opener? It is currently free to watch on Xbox Live…..

I liked it. This means I will probably start the second book soon so I am still comfortably lagged behind the show. 