Reviews about Dragon Age 2?

Discussing all roleplaying games
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Reviews about Dragon Age 2?

Post by alhoon »

Anyone that played it and want to share the experience? I don't think I'll buy it based on what I've heard so far, but still, it's good to know more.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
sndwurks
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Reviews about Dragon Age 2?

Post by sndwurks »

Did you like Dragon Age: Origins? Then you will like Dragon Age 2.

However, hold off on buying it for at least two months if you are not purchasing it for your PC. There are currently some serious game bugs that can spoil your enjoyment of the game. There has been a partial patch for the PC, but none as of yet for the consoles.

With that caveat said... Whereas Dragon Age: Origins is a robust game with a variety of settings, characters, and quests, DA2 is a much more focused, much more personal story. DAO is an open canvas upon which to paint your character as you see them. DA2 is less open, primarily. There is less exposition, less exploration, and less "finding out about your companions!".

However, the dialogue is better, the story is far more compelling, and if you like shades of grey, the plotline is leaps and bounds above DAO. Whereas DAO is the story of a hero rising from nothing to save the Kingdom, DA2 is a the story of a refugee who rises to power admidst a time of turmoil and conflict, and sets the spark for a war that changes the world. Also? While you have less companions in DA2, the companions you have are much more engaging. One of the criticisms of the game is, in fact, that they give you such great characters as your companions, but have dialogue be primarily event-driven, rather than just walking up to them in camp and interrogating them.

All in all, I have DA2 and I enjoyed it. If you enjoyed DAO, you will like DA2. If you did not like DAO? Don't waste your money.
sndwurks
"Stultum facit fortuna, quem vult perdere."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Re: Reviews about Dragon Age 2?

Post by alhoon »

I got DA2 and I like it. I'm a few steps in chapter 2 (done one of the main quests and a couple of companion quests).
I liked DAO but the level of difficulty turned me down. It was beyond difficult to downright frustrating. In DA2 I don't have this problem.
Also I kinda like the "1 year later" + "3 years after that". It increases my immersion manyfold to have my hero's quest spread out over many years instead of a couple of months of glory that took him from zero to hero.

More or less, I like it more. Less epic than the first (in feeling) but more enjoyable.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!