Psionics

Discussing all roleplaying games
Korsahrath
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Psionics

Post by Korsahrath »

Sorry to put this on the forum, but I don't use any other d&d forums to discuss the topic. Their is a power called "Control Object" that can control an object weiging up to 100lb. I don't know if this makes sense to you, but the object can make a slam attack that deals 1d6 damage + intelligence modifier; if the object is 100lb. or a greatsword, do you really think it would only do a d6 of damage or a slam attack? I was talking to a friend about the matter and we decided for every 20lb., the object will deal an adition +1 damage (to a total of +5). That was just an idea. But one would think the greatsword to deal 2d6 if I am not mistaken.
(>-.-)> t(-,-t)
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: Currently the Frozen Wastes of Mount Pleasant Michigan

Re: Psionics

Post by A G Thing »

Well generally I think that might come down to a couple factors... Though I don't have the power in question right in front of me!

First, damage due to falling is done in d6's based on 10ft increments, so perhaps a d6 per 10 pounds would be in order.

Second if a person can wield a Great Sword they can deal 2d6 damage with it without penalty. Thus I would say that if they are trying to wield it like a great sword then it depends if they know how to. Non proficent users trying to use it as a sword would suffer all the penalties of non proficency in my book while proficent users could do so quite easily. Does the psionic effect allow for such manipulations? If they cannot control it with finesse then perhaps all it can do is have a slam attack!

And third if they are not trying to swing it like a great sword then I would just go by the weight of the sword and make the damage rounded down to the nearest 10 pounds. Of course the damage being slashing piercing or bludgeoning would be up to the DM unless the caster specifies what part of the sword shaped object they are hitting with! The pommel would be bludgeoning while the blade could be slashing or piercing.

Hope this helps! :)
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
Korsahrath
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Korsahrath »

So slamming an object of 100lb should do 10-11d6? That's pretty powerful for a first lvl power. Though I wouldn't expect any psions to lug a massive weighed item on them. Thanks for the help, I have some thinking to do.
(>-.-)> t(-,-t)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

No problem with posting this topic here, though since it's not Ravenloft-related, it should go in the Roleplaying Games forum. I'll move it there. no worries.

As for the question:
Take a look at the srd section on falling objects. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm

A 100lb object has to fall 30 feet to do 1d6 of damage. (The numbers are a little different than a character falling, unless that character weighs 200lbs).

So, 1d6 for a slam seems reasonable to me. And I agree with A G Thing that flinging a greatsword at someone is different than wielding it proficiently and swinging it at someone. 1d6 seems appropriate there too.

Note that Control Object says: "with jerky and clumsy movements" (not with the finesse of a skilled swordsman) and "at a speed of up to 20 feet". That means it can't even move fast enough to mimic falling from 30 feet, so 1d6 is actually generous.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

Gonzoron's right. 1d6 is pretty generous for control object. The power was designed less for attack than for more creative purposes, like controlling a door to open or close, have a table walk to you, or manipulating a lock (as described). A better use in combat might be manipulating the environment to hinder foes or control a sturdy object to act as a shield (maybe a +2 deflection bonus to AC at best).
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

In one game I was playing, a player used TK to bring grenades close to an enemy and then pull the pin to detonate them close by.

That could be an idea. You don't necessarily need force to inflict damage. If the enemy is holding a torch, maneuvering an unlit lantern of oil and then pouring it over them could be just as dangerous. If you have a potted plant or a curtain, use TK to maneuver it right in front of their faces so they can't see. Snag a carpet so they trip and lose their balance, etc.
High Priest Mikhal
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by High Priest Mikhal »

HuManBing wrote:In one game I was playing, a player used TK to bring grenades close to an enemy and then pull the pin to detonate them close by.

That could be an idea. You don't necessarily need force to inflict damage. If the enemy is holding a torch, maneuvering an unlit lantern of oil and then pouring it over them could be just as dangerous. If you have a potted plant or a curtain, use TK to maneuver it right in front of their faces so they can't see. Snag a carpet so they trip and lose their balance, etc.
Hehe, I like how you and your players think, HMB.
"Money is the root of all evil...I think I need more money."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I would say an object deals damage as usual if it's a weapon (1d8 for longsword) or slam attack with the nice rule of 1d6+1/20lbs as you mentioned. The first part is what weapons deal with telekinesis IIRC
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Note that Control Object is a 1st level power. Telekinesis is a 5th level spell. Control object should do a lot less damage.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Well with the understanding it is a 1st lvl power now I would have to say the damage should be nerfed similar to how Gonzoron said, and I learned that objects suffer/deal different damage when falling...

But yeah 1d6 is very generous for a 1st lvl power!
"There is only one true answer to any and every question. The rest are just vagaries and obfuscations."
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Gonzoron of the FoS wrote:Note that Control Object is a 1st level power. Telekinesis is a 5th level spell. Control object should do a lot less damage.
Telekinesis shouldn be a 5th lvl spell. ;) Also telekinesis throws more than one sword etc. I think we use it as 1 weapon/lvl or something, but perhaps that's a house rule.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

A G Thing wrote:But yeah 1d6 is very generous for a 1st lvl power!
Magic stone is a cleric spell and it does 1d6+1 for 3 rounds. That's a good place to start.
My DMGuild work!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Note that I didn't mean 1d6 was generous for a 1st level power. it's about right. magic missile is 1d4+1, which averages the same (though it's obviously much more consistent since it doesn't miss, and has less variance). shocking grasp is 1d6/level. chill touch is 1d6 for 1 touch/level. inflict light wounds is 1d8+1/level.

I just meant that 1d6 is generous to represent the damage from an object smaller than 100lbs moving slower than 20ft/round with jerky uncoordinated movement. But chalk it up to extra damage imparted by the psionic energy involved, or handwave it as game balance. Ruleswise, it's a pretty reasonable amount.
A G Thing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by A G Thing »

Yeah but generally a magic missile is a one trick sort of spell. I agree it is still fair, I just think the utility adds a bit to it!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

If you can use it 1rd/lvl I would say 1d6+1 (like magic stone). If you can use it every 2 rounds (say, you spend a standard action to rise the thing and spin around it's axis for more energy and you throw it in the next standard action), I would say 1d6+4.
My DMGuild work!